As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newer action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Okie, double post because I can't wait for someone to post.

I want to share my newest favorite Star Wars Black Series figure and my most favorite one. The Imperial Probe Droid! Why is it my favorite Black Series one? I'm glad you asked! For those who don't want to know, just skip this next part and go straight for the spoiler to see the photos of a toy. ANYWAYS, back when my brother and I were young Star Wars Fans my parents bought us a few playsets for our Star Wars figures. My brother got one called the Turret & Probot Playset (Scroll down on the Star Wars site to see it here.) and for some reason we loved using the Turret top as a space ship and I would always play with the Probe Droid on it. No idea why, but I just loved it to death. The head would come off and you can play like you had a UFO!Also the arms could come off and we'd use them all over the place as robot arms or grabbing arms. Talk about multiple toys in one! It was the best toy ever for a kid.

So when I saw that Hasbro was bringing out a Black Series one I had to put in a pre-order for it. Luckily it finally came this past week and I immediately took it out of the packaging and started fiddling with it (of course). The arms actually are all articulated at each joint, you can spin them at the base of the arm near the body. You can also rotate the head and put the antenna down if you want. The little "gun" like piece that sticks out on top of the body also swivels. I'm not sure, but think mine has some sort of weird paint effect on it that made part of the eyes look garbled, but I don't care since it makes it look more battle damaged (you can see what I'm talking about in my fourth photo). I love the little flecks of silver on it as well. The base is a nice addition since it allows the Probe Droid to float with the clear plastic rod supporting it. So yeah, I now have a grown up version of the "toy" that I loved playing with growing up. Too bad the head doesn't come off so I could have the UFO again. Well it probably could, but most likely it would break the toy.

So without further wasting your time. Here's what you came to the post for. PHOTOS!
    probedroid_01.jpg
    probedroid_02.jpg
    probedroid_03.jpg
    probedroid_04.jpg
    probedroid_05.jpg
    probedroid_06.jpg

Also @Delduwath I decided to cancel my pre-order for Thomas. I had a deposit down with an eBay Seller's own site hoping to get it for cheaper than the US Sellers, or at least not have to pay for the full amount up front in case Thomas is delayed for more than a year (which it seems most 3P stuff gets delayed). Unfortunately the price was the same as US Sellers AND he wanted all money up front. So I cancelled and figured I would wait and see if I really wanted it later on. Which ended up being a good thing since I liked the MP Spinout more (plus didn't have to pay all up front for either).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    That's a really cool droid, @Betsuni. The spindly arms make it look very insecty.

Did you pre-order Thomas from bababobo00712? I saw on the TFW2005 forums that people were reporting in shock that he was suddenly asking for full price upfront for it, which he's never done before. I wonder if the current economic climate is killing the small-scale resellers; I can't guess why else he might suddenly about-face with preorders like this, based on how solid his rep seems to be.

It sounds like the current high cost of shipping is going to considerably drive up the costs of high-end toys for US-based customers, and will nullify the price advantage of buying from China-based retailers (who previously could compete with US retailers on price due to a variety of factors). I wonder if the prices will go back down when/if shipping ever gets back to normal.

Delduwath wrote: »
    That's a really cool droid, Betsuni. The spindly arms make it look very insecty.

Did you pre-order Thomas from bababobo00712? I saw on the TFW2005 forums that people were reporting in shock that he was suddenly asking for full price upfront for it, which he's never done before. I wonder if the current economic climate is killing the small-scale resellers; I can't guess why else he might suddenly about-face with preorders like this, based on how solid his rep seems to be.

It sounds like the current high cost of shipping is going to considerably drive up the costs of high-end toys for US-based customers, and will nullify the price advantage of buying from China-based retailers (who previously could compete with US retailers on price due to a variety of factors). I wonder if the prices will go back down when/if shipping ever gets back to normal.

Yep I used their site since I bought some of my 3P stuff from them. They are really good and have good customer service. I know that taking all the amount up front for their eBay store is normal, but heard that their only taking a deposit on their store is new. Some people assumed that it was to compete with ShowZ another popular seller.

I actually have some thoughts of why this toy is being handled differently than others, but it is interesting reading everyone's opinions on what is going on. It would be interesting seeing the real story about this toy, but I know that will never happen.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    The photos and videos of Titan class Scorponok made wish Hasbro would make an actually good version of devestator, instead of the shit we got in combiner wars.

Something aesthetically pleasing but also sturdy if fuck.

I look at these photos of scorponok and all I can think of is “a better, non combining devastator”

The 3rd party offering don’t look sturdy enough for me and some of them have weird heads.

I just want a good devastator damn it!

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    Heatwave wrote: »
    The photos and videos of Titan class Scorponok made wish Hasbro would make an actually good version of devestator, instead of the shit we got in combiner wars.

Something aesthetically pleasing but also sturdy if fuck.

I look at these photos of scorponok and all I can think of is “a better, non combining devastator”

The 3rd party offering don’t look sturdy enough for me and some of them have weird heads.

I just want a good devastator damn it!
    By all accounts, the Toy World Constructor is very good and stable, and comes in like a thousand different color schemes (original green, G2 yellow, G2 orange, black, translucent variations of the aforementioned, weathered, cel-shaded, zesty ranch, BBQ, etc.). It's pretty expensive, but it's also 6 MP-style bots, so... Also, you may not be able to get your preferred color scheme at this point; I think the original green version gets re-released regularly (and I see preorders for it on a bunch of sites), but my preferred version of Devastator is the yellow one, and that seems a little harder to come by.

If you don't like the Studio OX-style head that originally came with it, there's an upgrade kit that has a G1-styel head; here they are side-by-side:
    oqnbItWl.jpg
    As far as I can tell, the current releases of Constructor get packaged as a gift set more often than not, and that typically has the upgrade pack included. Here's a YouTuber doing an unboxing of the most recent release (from like a week ago):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_hBsYmI7oA
    It is a pants-former, but if you're willing to get a non-combining Devastator, you probably don't mind some extra combiner parts hanging around, right?

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I have NBK Devastator which is an upsized and somewhat simplified (in details) version of Generation Toys Gravity Builder, and highly recommend him. He's very stable, can be posed, and all of the transformations are great. You can buy it from China for $60 through eBay. It's 38cm/18 inches tall.

I just watched that video and holy moly that Devastator is huge!!! I figured he was huge but man does that thing stand really tall over the MPs. Glad I didn't go for it because I have no room for him to stand on display.

oosik_betsuni.png
    The size didn't surprise me, because I'd watched videos about it when this guy just came out, so I already knew. The weight, though, was new to me. Nine pounds?! That's a toy you have to put on the lowest shelf, because if that takes a tumble, it can kill a pet/child.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Just got a shipping notification for my Nautilator and Seawing, just waiting for Overbite and Tentakill to get back in stock

Overbite and Tentikill are on their way (along with the cassettes). Of course, in their annoying shipping in separate boxes.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Heffling wrote: »
    I have NBK Devastator which is an upsized and somewhat simplified (in details) version of Generation Toys Gravity Builder, and highly recommend him. He's very stable, can be posed, and all of the transformations are great. You can buy it from China for $60 through eBay. It's 38cm/18 inches tall.
    Wow, $60? Gravity Builder is something like $500-$600, so the knockoff is 10% of the cost? That's wild. I mean, I understand that the KO company doesn't have to pay for design and development, like Generation Toys, but that is a steep difference. I wonder how things like material quality, tolerances, etc., compare between the two sets.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Here's a comparison of the Generation Toys vs NBK version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts7htJRuTmE

Finally cracked open Siege Starscream, Redwing, and the Rainmakers.

After doing the transformation 5 times I’ve learned the absolute hate for the chest plate assembly and it’s ability to pop off.

Also, the Rainmakers manage to feel cheaper than the other versions between the colors and pieces just feeling looser (mainly the wrist assemblies).

But I forgive them all for being incredibly well done in their tetrajet modes.

Just sad I missed out on Skywarp.

Man, I wish Target would sell Redwing without their card by now. But nope, guess they're sticking with their guns.
    I managed to get Skywarp when it went up for pre-order and I guess I was lucky to do so. You could pick up Hotwing since he looks really close to Skywarp. I think that Skywarp being a boxes exclusive really sucks. Maybe three years from now they'll re-release him like they are doing with the Decepticon Clones, but in a box set with Starscream and Thundercracker.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Man, I wish Target would sell Redwing without their card by now. But nope, guess they're sticking with their guns.
    I managed to get Skywarp when it went up for pre-order and I guess I was lucky to do so. You could pick up Hotwing since he looks really close to Skywarp. I think that Skywarp being a boxes exclusive really sucks. Maybe three years from now they'll re-release him like they are doing with the Decepticon Clones, but in a box set with Starscream and Thundercracker.

*record scratch*

Say what?

*checks out TFW2005*

Um, I have an addition to my shopping list in July.

Yeah it annoyed me since I went out of my way to buy the huge box set for Pounce. Then the Walgreens exclusive set to get Wingspan. Then a few years later a Target Exclusive set... It is like the universe balancing out. Pre order Jetfire, he goes on clearance sales. Don't pre-order Omega Supreme and he sells out and now I have to shell out for retail or more if I want him now. I guess it is fair since I got Fort Max and Trypticon for a huge discount.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I’m not in love with the Siege tetrajets, but I’m glad to have gotten Redwing

Now the Earthrise seeker mold, I could see myself picking that up a few times....

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Supreme is a really nice figure and is basically the only Titan who even remotely scales properly with normal figures.

Got a couple of figures that I'll comment on. (No pictures, because I'm lazy.)

First is the most bizarrely disappointing, Earthrise Wheeljack. I should be crazy about this figure, he's got great proportions, a decent transformation, is ridiculously g1 accurate and the only actual downside is that he doesn't have a good handheld weapon. Wheeljack is one of my top 5 favorite characters (Probably #2, behind Octane/Tankor/Octone) so I should be enamored with this figure, right? But.. he's just kinda boring. It's like by going so hard into recreating G1, they filed off pretty much anything new or creative about it. I dunno. This is a weird one. I almost like his earlier generations figure better. That one came with wrenches!

Second toy is Ironworks, who is neat and a lot of fun to mess with, even if I think his base mode is subpar and his windmill mode is laughably bad. It's still a lot of fun to pop him apart and put him back together. Which is weird because I normally don't like parts-forming. Maybe it's because he's all modular? He also goes great with Irontread. It's also the first time I felt a mini-con weapon mode really goes with a figure, because it looks GREAT in Ironwork's hand.

Finally I also got Earthrise Prime, who I got to replace my old Classics Prime. (The trailer and matrix are what pushed me over, though I'm bummed there's no micromaster Roller). This I was mostly buying as a perfunctory as I had recently replaced my classics Megatron with Siege Megatron, and it was the first Voyager scale Optimus that had nearly everything I could ask for. But actually playing with the figure, it's super rad and cool to transform. The way the front of the cab sorta folds up inside the chest, but still allows room for the Matrix is pretty impressive. His vehicle mode looks great, he's G1 as fuck (those obliques!) in robot mode and is generally a very rad figure. Though I wish he could hold the matrix better. The wheelbutt kinda sucks, but given how litttle kibble he has otherwise, it's totally acceptable.

He does have a bizarre thing in how his legs are taken from Siege Optimus's tooling.. but don't utilize any of the transformations, so there's a lot of places where there's molding for hinges that don't move, and even a whole pin assembling in his leg that serves no purpose. (There's even a weird hexagon sticking off one of his legs which is where the peg for his trailer went in Siege)

Comparing him to Siege Megatron.. makes me wonder if I shouldn't get a Earthrise Megatron. The battle damage combined with not being entirely thrilled with Siege Megatron just really comes to light compared to an awesome figure like Optimus. 'course it'd be a shame to waste $30 sticking Siege Megatron in a box... Unless I get a Siege Optimus to go with him for a special display!

(This hobby I swear)

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Man, why does everyone have to make their own variation of Devastator, it's like the toy version of the xkcd comic.

standards.png

It is a nice looking Devastator, but I don't know if it's $499 nice just to buy Yet Another Devastator.

Why does no one ever make a high quality Menasor? Nobody has so much as looked at Menasor since the Hasbro one, which was such unmitigated garbage that I'd even take the 1986 brick toy over it.

I really like that Astrotrain though, I prefer when they lean into G1 accuracy and that looks like right up my alley. I'll wait until release reviews but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

edited May 2020
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Why does no one ever make a high quality Menasor? Nobody has so much as looked at Menasor since the Hasbro one, which was such unmitigated garbage that I'd even take the 1986 brick toy over it.
    FansProject made a Menasor about 6 years ago. He's not MP or G1-styled at all, more like G1-inspired-but-stylized.

TransFormMission (which I think is Generation Toy going by another name) made an IDW Menasor, I think non-MP, about 2 years ago.

FansToys, DX9, and X-Transbots all have an MP G1 Menasor in progress, at various stages of completion (X-Transbots is by far the closest), price points, and design directions.

Taking current works-in-progress into account, Menasor is one of the best-represented combiners! I think Devastator is far behind, with the venerable CHUG-style MakeToys Giant, the half-CHUG-style-half-MP-G1-style Generation Toy Gravity Builder, and the G1 MP Toyworld Constructor. Oh wait, there's also the TFC Hercules, which I think is G1 but on the smaller side in terms of scale. So, not far behind at all, nevermind!

But, the answer to
    Man, why does everyone have to make their own variation of Devastator
    is: Because he's by far the most popular and recognizable combiner, and is a 100% sure-fire way to get sales.

Delduwath on
    You know, not only does X-Transbots have a G1 animation-style Menasor in progress (all 5 bots are out; Motormaster's trailer, which is also the combiner parts, is not out), they also have G1toy-style versions of the 4 limb bots (toy-style rectangular heads, toy-style color schemes, and new surface detail molding + decals to look more like the toys; it's actually astounding how much effort they put into it), AND they have G2 repaints of the 4 limb bots. It's not clear if there will be a toy version or G2 version of Motormaster, nothing's been explicitly announced, but it seems like a safe bet.

Or, would have been before COVID. X-Transbots has been almost completely silent since all that started, and they haven't released anything since. Meanwhile, Fans Toys has already put out a new stand-alone toy last month, their next Aerialbot has just started shipping, their next Stunticon is due either at the end of this month or June, and their current schedule has them releasing one new toy per month until the end of the year at least. So... if it turns out that COVID hit X-Transbots hard, and they go under, it's theoretically possible that their Menasor will never be completed, and will just be a set of unconnected Stunticons. I'm hoping that's not the case, though; folks have said that they've gotten replacement parts from X-Transbots in recent weeks, so they're still around for now.

edited May 2020
    It was a rhetorical question, I don't think there was any real mystery behind why Devastator is the most frequently remade toy.

Devastator is the best represented of the combiners to the point where he has to have a separate tfwiki page dedicated to his toy runs. Menasor is currently easily third behind Devastator and Bruticus, though I don't know how he stacks up against Autobot combiners in release count because I will freely admit I don't care about Autobots :bzz: - I don't count in-progress toys because they... have to actually come out to count.

The Fansproject one outwardly looks nice but you have to watch a video to see exactly how flimsy/lazy the transformation design is, especially the legs. None of them can actually combine natively - the arm bots require separate joint attachments clipped onto them just to be able to attach to Motormaster, and the legs don't transform so much as you take bits of plastic off of Motormaster, assemble them into leg-shaped frames and then just pop the cars onto pegs on the front of the leg frames in the most barely-counts-as-combining result possible.

Edit: Just saw the X-Transbots post - yeah that's what I mean by I wouldn't count it until it's released. The concept model of the combined form does look nice, though.

Donnicton on
    I'm extremely happy with the original G1 Devastator Walmart reissue. Mainly because growing up my brother and I had Devastator between the two of us so once we left home that combiner never combined again. I think I have Scrapper, Long Haul and Bonecrusher (think both of us had him) so that doesn't make a really impressive Devastator. What's funny is that before I got the new Walmart reissue I was looking for one of the previous reissues and couldn't stomach the price tag ($150ish on up at the time). So when the SDCC version came out I jumped on it from Hasbro (then later on found out that I could have saved some cash by buying the regular set). This was just so I could have a Devastator...

I didn't know that XTB is missing the parts to actually combine them. No wonder everybody is making fun of the fact that even though all 5 bots are out they can't combine. That sucks, but is sort of funny to me. Sorry for anybody who has all five and is desperately waiting for the trailer.

oosik_betsuni.png
    The Fansproject one outwardly looks nice but you have to watch a video to see exactly how flimsy/lazy the transformation design is, especially the legs. None of them can actually combine natively - the arm bots require separate joint attachments clipped onto them just to be able to attach to Motormaster, and the legs don't transform so much as you take bits of plastic off of Motormaster, assemble them into leg-shaped frames and then just pop the cars onto pegs on the front of the leg frames in the most barely-counts-as-combining result possible.
    Yeah, I have that guy. My feeling is: for a 2014 third party release, it's pretty good (just like, going by the standards of that time). There's certainly quite a bit of partsformation going on, but I think it's pretty well-implemented (by which I mostly mean: All the combiner pieces stow away seamlessly into Motormaster's trailer in car mode, the proportions look fine, and there are no weird pieces sticking out of either car mode or combined mode). I understand being disappointed with the leg pieces basically just clipping onto a leg frame, and the combiner joints having to attach to the arms instead of being integrated. The set does replicate the Scramble City nature of Menasor, though, in that any limb bot can be any limb; I'm guessing this would really complicate trying to integrate the combiner ports into the bots themselves. Most combiners I can think of (maybe all?) involve some degree of partsformation, usually hands/feet/decorative chestplates, but I suppose the FansProject does this to a greater degree than others.

There's also the issue that G1 Menasor is literally just a guy wearing two car-shaped calf-guards and two car-shaped semi-sleeves, so anything that apes/replicates the G1 look will end up looking the same. DX9's Menasor is a large, stand-alone Menasor-shaped frame that the four limbs will snap onto (it's already been released, so you can see in-hand photos). You can put him on the shelf right now and have an 85%-complete-looking (from the front) Menasor. X-Transbots's version will be similar, though we don't know the details as it's not out yet. It's not clear what's up with the Fans Toys version, but it's safe to assume it'll be this approach as well, because the two members who are already out have no integrated combiner ports.

I've always thought that the "limbs turn into bricks, all the pieces are decorated with separate combiner parts" Scramble City combination was boring and disappointing - but I've also bought into... both the... Fans Toys Menasor and... X-Transbots Menasor, so... hey I'm pretty dumb.

Anyway, I'm very excited about Mastermind Creations's All Built In series. The currently released Bruticus members are not without drawbacks, but they're not a big deal in my eyes, and I'm happy to make those sacrifices for no loose combiner kibble.

Menasor was inconsistently drawn even purely in the context of G1. Sometimes the cars were just arm/leg guards, sometimes the cars were the actual limbs, sometimes the legs were facing forward, sometimes the legs were facing back, sometimes the indents in his chestplate weren't in the correct places, Drag Strip can be facing either forward or backward depending on the weather/day of the week... and then they decided to toss in Blackjack. The cartoon especially - for a series already notorious for liberal animation quality it's saying something when Menasor stands out as inconsistent.

I'd mainly be happy with a nice solidly built version of him that's as faithful to the central G1 concept as is reasonable without feeling like its plastic is a standing list of potential points of stress failure. If the unfinished sets ever get their releases I'll check out the final products and hopefully one of them will do a job.

Yeah, it's kinda wacky. What's interesting is how some of the 3P Menasors will actually account for some of the differences in appearance:

Fans Toys will let you have the leg-cars on the front or back; two different heads; two different chests; shoulder pods or no. I guess one of these is considered the canonical cartoon appearance (animation errors aside), and one is the Studio OX version.
    pihHM8ll.jpg

Magic Square has been teasing a legends-scale Menasor for years, apparently, and pre-orders popped up at retailers not too long ago, so it might actually happen! This version looks really flexible: leg-cars front or back; two different heads; two different chests; two different thigh designs; two different crotch skirt designs; two different foot designs; shoulder pods or no; arm-cars either integrated into the arms or hanging off like arm-guards.
    akqfjl7l.jpg
    9oKwRXql.jpg
    fMLPBcil.jpg
    I can't tell if the alt-appearance parts are replacement or snap-on, but at legends scale, I'm willing to forgive a lot of sins:
    rfyaPs6l.jpg

As far as I can tell, the X-Transbots version doesn't let you flip appearances around (unless I missed an update), but what's interesting is that it'll come with two car-shaped shells that you can pop onto the arm-cars if you want, so you can either get a combiner that doesn't require loose kibble, or you can use the shells to get the very exaggerated proportions that the animated mode had on some of the arm parts. In theory, this means that you might be able to leave all the Stunticons off of the Menasor frame, somehow attach the arm-shells (tape?), and be able to display the Stunticons and a 95%-complete-looking Menasor separately.
    uk0II9vl.jpg
    Uniquely, their Motormaster trailer/Menasor frame will also turn into a battle-station, as an homage to the G1 toy:
    NN1pbA9l.jpg

(These are renders, although the MS and XTB ones have had grey prototypes pop up a few times, so anything can change between now and release.)

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Guyz I finally got the replacement part I needed to finish building my 1:4 Vespa! Working on it now!

owe3gnauq96w.jpg

I'm done building for the night, but here's the engine currently:

udvww45qx34w.jpg

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    The chassis is coming along

vee3kvkzrtk9.jpgneteetigywjq.jpg

I completed the seat yesterday:

vusmkqx8c0h4.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Holy cow that is crazy!!! I see wires, is this thing motorized or just lights?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Holy cow that is crazy!!! I see wires, is this thing motorized or just lights?

Not motorized, those are just lights, horn, and a revving engine sound.

edited May 2020
    Getting this front half together has been the most difficult so far.

uh4t1o16t8jc.jpg

I've never put together a scale model like this before, so I don't know how normal this one is, but I have some bones to pick with the manufacturers. Some pieces are held together with four screws and a plastic locking system. Others are apparently meant to stick purely though belief. As such I've had to glue a few pieces when I thought I wouldn't actually need glue. Worse than that, though, are the discrepancies between screw sizes and hole sizes. You'd think screws would be easy, just purchase a bunch of pre-manufactured ones in bulk... but somehow every one of their screws is a slightly different diameter. I can understand the discrepancy with the holes, since those are part of the model so you can't buy them stock like you can with the screws, but it's infuriating when you're supposed to screw something in and tighten two pieces together, but you can't either because the screw falls straight through to the bottom, or because no amount of strength will get you past a couple of turns in so the screw is sticking up a ways. My hand is gonna be so bruised after this.

Sure is purty tho.

Cambiata on
    Yeah, I have to say that it is worth your pain because that looks great. So huge though!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Yeah, I have to say that it is worth your pain because that looks great. So huge though!

I only just realized that this isn't only the size of my dolls. It's perfectly cat-sized.

Cambiata wrote: »

I only just realized that this isn't only the size of my dolls. It's perfectly cat-sized.

I sense a YouTube video review coming soon.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited May 2020

I sense a YouTube video review coming soon.

I might do a video with the scooter in it, but 'review' would require a stronger background in models than I have!

Edit: Unless you mean my cats review it, in which case, maybe.

Edit: Ha, they just gave a preliminary review. Verdict: Unimpressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14yqA7819tg

Cambiata on
    Hahaha, the first one really was not impressed. The second one did do a better mouth on review before calling it boring.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited May 2020
    Ok, so I want to geek out about a bunch of Transformers that Hasbro brought over from Takara Tomy called the Seacons. Yep, for those who are not Transformers Fans, you read that right Seacons. Transformers that had a marine theme going on. There was a manta ray (with legs), turtle, shark (with legs AND arms), a fish thing (again with legs and arms), lobster (they already have legs), and weird squid monster thing (yep with legs). Yeah these monsters are really scary (who wouldn't be afraid of a shark with arms and legs???) for kids except they were aqua blue, pink, grey(ish) white, and black. Who would be afraid of a monster with pink on it? Anyways, they were really neat as a different type of Transformer and were like the monster based Terrorcons (yeah they were really original with names back then). In the USA the Seacons were named Seawing (manta ray), Snaptrap (turtle), Overbite (shark), Skalor (fish), Nautilator (lobster), and Tentakil (squid). Together they formed Piranacon (again with the original names)! They had different names in Japan, they were Kraken, Turtler, Overbite, Gulf, Lobclaw, and Tentakil. They formed King Poseidon. Snaptrap/Turtler would form the torso while the rest could form any limb and weapon. They did have a certain configuration, but yeah you could mix and match to your heart's content.

Growing up I managed to have a Nautilator which I absolutely loved. The reason is because he was an aqua blue lobster that transformed into a robot AND a turret gun platform! Ok, so the turret gun mode looked like a lobster with a gun slapped onto it while stuck on a platform. This was the only one I had of the team and always wanted to get the rest. So recently Takara Tomy decided to retool some of the recently designed Terrorcons from the recent Power of the Primes line to make new Seacons. Hasbro brought them over here but decided to keep the Japanese names for us US fans. So of course I had to pre-order them when they popped up on Hasbro's shop. As @Nobody has been updating the thread with his picking up the remaining bots from this set, I've been slowly and quietly gathering up my seafood platter, till now. I'm happy to share photos of all of them with you! So without further ado here are the photos of the Seacons. Sorry I don't have them in the same order as I described them above.
    seacons_01.jpg
    seacons_02.jpg
    seacons_03.jpg
    seacons_04.jpg
    seacons_05.jpg
    seacons_06.jpg
    seacons_07.jpg
    seacons_08.jpg
    seacons_09.jpg
    seacons_10.jpg
    seacons_11.jpg
    seacons_12.jpg
    seacons_13.jpg
    seacons_14.jpg
    seacons_15.jpg
    seacons_16.jpg

Now for the mini review of the set. For those who already have played with the newer Terrorcons these guys are very familiar. They have the lower legs in robot mode where you open the calves up and unfold the legs to make them longer then close up the thighs. The bigger difference is the upper torsos where only two of them have similar monster heads like Rippersnapper where they fold back and sit on the back. Seawing/Kraken was somewhat original where they had his monster head have his robot arms connected to form it but overall he is like Cutthroat where his head folds down over his chest and his wings are flapping behind in robot mode. Snaptrap/Turtler is similar to Hun-Gurr but much better since his monster head doesn't become his robot legs. Overall the team is really solid and the colors are awesome! I think they are much better quality than my Terrorcon team and the one cool thing is that the feet for Piranacon/King Poseidon are a different mold and his hands actually have individual fingers!!! All previous combiners have these weird hand club things that barely have any finger movement (they have tips of fingers that fold). All of the individual bots had some sort of melee weapon that combined up to form the huge sword (including hilt)! They were awesome. The guns from all the bots also can be formed together to make this weapon blob you can see in my last photo. There are no instructions on how to form the gun so I just put them together in the mode I liked. At least I couldn't find any instructions. The only sad part of the whole combined team form is that they are a bit floppy like most of the combiners. This is because they are all pretty heavy as individual bots so having them form up is pretty annoying. But then again I don't know of any combining bots not being floppy (then or now). But I have to say these guys are a whole lot more solid than the other combiner teams I have from the newer sets. I'm super happy that I have these guys in my collection. My wife thinks they look really freaky and the pink is just weird (but did say that when they were all combined the pink wasn't that bad). She did note that the big sword actually has a pink tint to it.

So thank you for reading my rambling if you managed to get this far. If you didn't I hope you enjoyed the photos of weird Transformers.

Edit: I was reading my post and actually forgot to add in that these guys are so much more better than any of the existing combiners that Hasbro/Takara Tomy has brought out. Their quality is much better and you can feel that they were given more time in the "design" phase as well as actual production. There are two of them that have fake tails (Lobclaw and Gulf) that also transform into guns. Plus they have homage to the original toys where you can transform them into a gun mode and use the combiner post to plug into the hand that all of the limbs come with to make a turret! Yeah, they took their time really working on these and giving them lots of neat engineering and don't feel cheap like their peg/mass produced cousins.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Danny Choo posted this picture without explaining what character it is:

pmltjr8iq8mt.jpg

My first thought was maybe Star Wars, but someone in the comments pointed out he had tagged it with anime and manga, so maybe Gundam?

Danny Choo posted this picture without explaining what character it is:

pmltjr8iq8mt.jpg

My first thought was maybe Star Wars, but someone in the comments pointed out he had tagged it with anime and manga, so maybe Gundam?

Well they did do a Star Wars Manga... I also love the Lego Saturn V in the background.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Dang it, stop making me somewhat regret not getting the Seacons 😅

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
This discussion has been closed.