As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the old Star Citizen thread

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    How many people would respond to the automated distress call, come flying close to take a look, see a guy on the ground with something on his face, and just blow that shit the fuck up before marking the planet down as "DO NOT LAND".

This planet is marked "DO NOT LAND"? I wonder why... they must be hiding something... but what could they be hiding? I bet it's treasure! I better land to check it out!

SmokeStacks on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    How many people would respond to the automated distress call, come flying close to take a look, see a guy on the ground with something on his face, and just blow that shit the fuck up before marking the planet down as "DO NOT LAND".

This planet is marked "DO NOT LAND"? I wonder why... they must be hiding something... but what could they be hiding? I bet it's treasure! I better land to check it out!

"In the ciiiiircle, the circle of parasitic liiiiiiiife!"

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Hell, you could put a sign that says "SERIOUSLY, ALIEN PARASITES ON PLANET!!!" complete with a giant vid screen playing, in graphic detail, the life cycle of the alien parasites on loop and mother fuckers would still land.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Hell, you could put a sign that says "SERIOUSLY, ALIEN PARASITES ON PLANET!!!" complete with a giant vid screen playing, in graphic detail, the life cycle of the alien parasites on loop and mother fuckers would still land.

Something, something, Danger Zone?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    Take off and nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

3.9 isn't a huge step like OCS, but we're getting better with each iteration.

New Babbage is really fucking cool. So cool and with such high fidelity I kinda think they need to do some re-works on the original planets to bring it on the same level.

steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't understand why there is one elevator bank per floor but six in the lobby.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    I don't understand why there is one elevator bank per floor but six in the lobby.

Did you ever see that movie Cube?

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    No, but I am familiar with the concept of laterally moving elevator cars ala Star Trek.

• ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Wonkavator.

No blue dots in the hangar module.

Also, I can't wait for a tutorial to come back, because I just crashed my ship trying to exit the landing pad.

I want to play SC with some PA folk. Do we have a discord server or a group already?

I have a mole, cat, cutlass and some other odds and sods. I have a particular interest in getting some people to crew my mole, drink some coffee in the cockpit and blast some trucker classic rock while raking in space cash.

XOCentric wrote: »
    I want to play SC with some PA folk. Do we have a discord server or a group already?

I have a mole, cat, cutlass and some other odds and sods. I have a particular interest in getting some people to crew my mole, drink some coffee in the cockpit and blast some trucker classic rock while raking in space cash.

I'm always down (schedule permitting) to fly around with threadizens.

Also, Space Trucking by Blue Oyster Cult should definitely be on your playlist.

XOCentric wrote: »

I'm always down (schedule permitting) to fly around with threadizens.

Also, Space Trucking by Blue Oyster Cult should definitely be on your playlist.

I'm XOCentric in SC, very original I know. I'm also on the PA discord altho I don't have permissions to see general chat yet.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    What cool stuff is there to do with my Terrapin yet? I haven't installed or played this since... Whenever they first added arena combat against waves of Vanduul, I guess.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    What cool stuff is there to do with my Terrapin yet? I haven't installed or played this since... Whenever they first added arena combat against waves of Vanduul, I guess.

I believe the Terrapin can scan down hand-mineables, the only ship that can do so other than the Prospector. Hand mining can be pretty profitable, its just finding the damn minerals that's the tricky part.

I might play 3.9 for a bit, but I'm probably going to have to go back into Star Citizen hibernation for a couple of months; the promised Idris mission didn't make it into 3.9, and 4.0 has been absolutely gutted. So unless some big ticket items get added in last minute, which has happened before, 4.0 looks to be largely a nothingburger. It sounds like most of the problems they're having are related to server performance; SSOCS didn't give them the big performance boost they'd hoped for (SSOCS being basically breaking the game universe down into chunks that can be loaded in as needed so that the server doesn't need to track the physics of a boulder rolling down a hill on a random moon if nobody is close enough to see it) and its become fairly obvious that a single server just can't handle the whole of the Stanton system at once. The next stage is server meshing, which involves taking the broken down chunks and dividing them up between multiple servers that players can move between (in theory) seamlessly, and it sounds like that's being pushed forwards since everything else basically hinges on it. And this is the big one; if server meshing can't deliver reasonable performance, Star Citizen as an MMO is dead.

The only thing to look forward to in the immediate future is Theatres of War, a Battlefield-esque side game which we're meant to be hearing something about soon(tm).

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

I believe the Terrapin can scan down hand-mineables, the only ship that can do so other than the Prospector. Hand mining can be pretty profitable, its just finding the damn minerals that's the tricky part.

I might play 3.9 for a bit, but I'm probably going to have to go back into Star Citizen hibernation for a couple of months; the promised Idris mission didn't make it into 3.9, and 4.0 has been absolutely gutted. So unless some big ticket items get added in last minute, which has happened before, 4.0 looks to be largely a nothingburger. It sounds like most of the problems they're having are related to server performance; SSOCS didn't give them the big performance boost they'd hoped for (SSOCS being basically breaking the game universe down into chunks that can be loaded in as needed so that the server doesn't need to track the physics of a boulder rolling down a hill on a random moon if nobody is close enough to see it) and its become fairly obvious that a single server just can't handle the whole of the Stanton system at once. The next stage is server meshing, which involves taking the broken down chunks and dividing them up between multiple servers that players can move between (in theory) seamlessly, and it sounds like that's being pushed forwards since everything else basically hinges on it. And this is the big one; if server meshing can't deliver reasonable performance, Star Citizen as an MMO is dead.

The only thing to look forward to in the immediate future is Theatres of War, a Battlefield-esque side game which we're meant to be hearing something about soon(tm).

I thought I'd clicked on the Warframe thread and was very very confused for way too long.

Can confirm. The 30k errors pretty much end each of my play sessions, which last between 45min and a few hours before I inevitably start to see the signs that I'm about to lose connection again.

I think I might just finally put this one on the shelf until I start seeing a slew of positive youtube videos about how they "fixed" the game. Each new patch gets my hopes up, which lasts a day or two before the cracks appear and I put SC down again.

I REALLY, REALLY want this game to be THE game that I can play every time I have time, but I'm starting to lose hope, I think. Ah well, it's not like there isn't a wheelbarrow full of other games I can play for now.

My last post may have seemed overly negative, but I am confident they will eventually figure out server meshing, simply because I've been skeptical of CIGs ability to pull off parts of their core tech before and every time they've knocked it out of the park. Its just a question of time; server meshing was always a long-term goal, but now it seems like its going to be a blocker in the same way that SSOCS was for so long. Years into development they're still working on the core tech necessary for the game to actually work. I feel like having to come up with a playable build every 3 months is probably slowing them down significantly.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I guess you could also ratchet down the fidelity a couple notches. If the tech isn't there, then admit that it's just not there.

ironzerg wrote: »
    I guess you could also ratchet down the fidelity a couple notches. If the tech isn't there, then admit that it's just not there.

Never going to happen. The whole point of this thing is to be a high-fidelity graphical extravaganza that will melt all but the mightiest of PCs. But its not the "high fidelity" that's the issue, its the sheer amount of stuff they're trying to have a single server handle at once. Players, NPCs, weather systems, shop inventories, physics objects, there's a lot going on. Star Citizen actually performs pretty well in a smaller environment like Arena Commander, or a fresh server before 49 other players have jumped on, which is why I'm hopeful that if they have each server only responsible for, i.e, a single planet and its moons for example, that they can make it work.

edited May 2020
    A head's up for anybody who might be interested:

There's a free flight event going on for the next 11 days (along with some stuff happening around Area18)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m03VBN_WJvE

EDIT - whoops...wrong youtube video. here's the shorter, less detailed, more in-universe version

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Just as a heads-up though, the servers are currently shitting themselves inside out from the influx of new players, and not everybody is able to get in it seems. Almost like pushing a patch out on a Friday and then introducing thousands and thousands more players into the servers wasn't the best idea...

Just as a heads-up though, the servers are currently shitting themselves inside out from the influx of new players, and not everybody is able to get in it seems. Almost like pushing a patch out on a Friday and then introducing thousands and thousands more players into the servers wasn't the best idea...

They seem to have been doing this since 2 oclock or so this afternoon.

Yeah, I had an issue getting through character creation (still do, actually, but I could at least get into the game), but gave it an extra few hours to calm down a bit.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Saw them emailing about the free week etc and thought to myself "Hey, if they're confident enough to do a free week maybe they fixed something, anything, from the last time I played"

Start the game, create a character, that's still working fine. Start on New Babbage, wow this is cool! Maybe they're turning this thing around!

Pull out my Mustang Alpha, still can't hold any cargo so can't do something simpler like a courier mission. How the heck is this still a problem? This is a starter ship that lots of people have because it was one of the cheapest ways to get into the game and it literally just can't do a basic part of the game.

Ok, whatever, free week means free ships to mess with. Pull out something else, hey this is cool I can get in the ship and put cargo in this! Sweet, maybe now we're rolling even if the ship I actually paid money for can't do squat. Go pick up something, landing on a planet and the snow effects are awesome. Head towards the drop off point and flying for awhile to get there, nice and chill. Getting close. Disconnected. Log back in to a queue, character is just missing and so the hour+ I just spent was even more pointless than normal.

I'm not sure of the reason they're doing this free event?? This still feels far away from an actual product that you'd want to present people. There's like brief moments of "hey, this might actually be really cool" but then two seconds later the ball drops and the game is like "just kidding, none of the basic functions actually function." Which is the exact same experience I had the last time I tried it back when I think 3.8 launched? At best it's just...frustrating. Which is not the sort of experience I'd want to invite people to check out.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    They may just be doing it as a stress test.

5gsowHm.png
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Saw them emailing about the free week etc and thought to myself "Hey, if they're confident enough to do a free week maybe they fixed something, anything, from the last time I played"

Start the game, create a character, that's still working fine. Start on New Babbage, wow this is cool! Maybe they're turning this thing around!

Pull out my Mustang Alpha, still can't hold any cargo so can't do something simpler like a courier mission. How the heck is this still a problem? This is a starter ship that lots of people have because it was one of the cheapest ways to get into the game and it literally just can't do a basic part of the game.

Ok, whatever, free week means free ships to mess with. Pull out something else, hey this is cool I can get in the ship and put cargo in this! Sweet, maybe now we're rolling even if the ship I actually paid money for can't do squat. Go pick up something, landing on a planet and the snow effects are awesome. Head towards the drop off point and flying for awhile to get there, nice and chill. Getting close. Disconnected. Log back in to a queue, character is just missing and so the hour+ I just spent was even more pointless than normal.

I'm not sure of the reason they're doing this free event?? This still feels far away from an actual product that you'd want to present people. There's like brief moments of "hey, this might actually be really cool" but then two seconds later the ball drops and the game is like "just kidding, none of the basic functions actually function." Which is the exact same experience I had the last time I tried it back when I think 3.8 launched? At best it's just...frustrating. Which is not the sort of experience I'd want to invite people to check out.

A lot of the courier missions are just take a physical box from one place to another and I think you can fit the boxes in any ship at this point.

But yeah, this patch is even more hella broken than usual. Last couple patch releases have had it so a server can get into a state where the trains on the planets that use them just stop running. Which generally means you just can't get to a ship, or even the shops, and you have to quit to main menu and try another one and hope you luck out. Not only did they not fix that, but now you can't even make a character because you get stuck on gender select. It's definitely not a good look for the "hey, come check out our game!" event.

Also, if you get into a state where you have to do a character reset (common - if your inventory all disappears on login/respawn, you have to reset to get it back), as of 3.9.1 you lose all of the consumables in your inventory, but don't get refunded the spacebucks for them. Which means if you log out on a space station (which don't have weapon shops) before you do basically anything you have to go to a planet to restock. Assuming the trains work.

I really like this game when it's functional but some of their "working great, push it live!" decisions are just mindboggling.

Just had a funny thing happen to me:

Fired up Star Citizen and figured I'd pop into one of my hangars to walk around my Retaliator. Spawn it in, ride the elevator up, step out onto the main entry room and notice my health is 95%. Figured that was kinda weird, but whatever...I have 95 more percents. Go to the cockpit, sit down in the chair, hit Flight Ready, and fiddle with the monitors. Notice on the power MFD I can flip the turret weapons on/off, so I power them on and go looking for a turret to enter. While I'm walking around the ship, I hear my character making choking sounds and my health is slowly dropping. Pull up MobiGlass to see if I'm wearing a helmet, and it turns out that I'm not wearing a helmet. Go to equip it, but it's stuck on "Changing status" and I can't save the equipment change. I just shrug and think it's no big deal...I'm down to 84%, and it's going down a percent every minute...I should be good.

At this point, I find where I can enter my top turret, so I go up there. During the animation where the turret grabs me and starts pulling me up, my character makes intense and constant choking noises. I get a countdown saying something like "Character will expire in - 0:07" and my health is dropping ~10% every second. By the time I pull up MobiGlass, I'm dead and the game crashed.

Guess the turrets aren't connected to life support...

antherem wrote: »

A lot of the courier missions are just take a physical box from one place to another and I think you can fit the boxes in any ship at this point.

But yeah, this patch is even more hella broken than usual. Last couple patch releases have had it so a server can get into a state where the trains on the planets that use them just stop running. Which generally means you just can't get to a ship, or even the shops, and you have to quit to main menu and try another one and hope you luck out. Not only did they not fix that, but now you can't even make a character because you get stuck on gender select. It's definitely not a good look for the "hey, come check out our game!" event.

Also, if you get into a state where you have to do a character reset (common - if your inventory all disappears on login/respawn, you have to reset to get it back), as of 3.9.1 you lose all of the consumables in your inventory, but don't get refunded the spacebucks for them. Which means if you log out on a space station (which don't have weapon shops) before you do basically anything you have to go to a planet to restock. Assuming the trains work.

I really like this game when it's functional but some of their "working great, push it live!" decisions are just mindboggling.

Nah, the Mustang Alpha which specifically is listed as "Cargo" on the Star Citizen store and is, I believe, the second cheapest ship you can get, well, you...just can't put cargo in. You can technically cheat it a bit and try to fit a box just narrowly right behind the pilot seat, but it's a hacky solution (and I tried and could not get this to work either) for the cheapest ship that has cargo slots.

And I get that courier missions are "simple", that's the point! But it's a simple mission type to get your ship out and fly around to test the game a bit and figure out the controls (without diving straight into combat) and it just doesn't work for anyone that bought into the game at the cheapest tier that's specifically advertised as being able to hold cargo. It was like this in 3.8, it's obviously not a priority to fix and in the grand scheme of things that's "fine" but it's still frustrating.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    "Free play weekend!" and "come experience our game completely break!" don't typically go well together.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

You normally stress test something you've built that works too see if it keeps working with lots of people. Since they still haven't ever really built a functioning game I don't see the point.

What is this I don't even.
    edited May 2020
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

You normally stress test something you've built that works too see if it keeps working with lots of people. Since they still haven't ever really built a functioning game I don't see the point.

The people who are logging in every day to run missions and are able to afford to buy ships using in-game acquired money would disagree with this point.

Erlkönig on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    cool cool cool, glad to see there's still no actual game here yet so this thread has saved me the time to install it once again

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    The Mustang Alpha (sikilar to tue Aurora line) is going to have the ability to strap an exterior cargo box to it for hauling, it just hasn't been implemented yet. The Auroras can store a couple boxes in the actual cockpit though.

If you're looking for a decent but cheap starter ship to goof around in, the Pisces isn't bad. It has an interior cargo area for box missions.

If you're new to the game, I recommend everyone try out the Insurance Claim/Covalex mission. It's pretty atmospheric, is a good example of non-combat or cargo mission, and can be done with any ship.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

The people who are logging in every day to run missions and are able to afford to buy ships using in-game acquired money would disagree with this point.

I ran the 890 Jump mission the other day with friends, it was a lot of fun! One of them shot a security guard by accident and ended up in space jail, so I flew out there and picked him up, but then became a criminal myself for it, so had to go to a partially completed abandoned security station to hack it away. It was good times!

I haven't been able to successfully log in since!

I'm really glad it works for those people, I know someone else who tends to have decent experiences when he logs in. I'm sure it's great when it works!

So far it has worked exactly zero of the times I've tried it. And I say this as someone who generally tries to be positive about things! It's frustrating because people have told me there's stuff in this game but every time, and I do mean every time, I try to do that stuff the game just...doesn't work. And this has been the state of the game for years. I'm skeptical that these issues don't exist for other people, I think they're just more willing to push through them, and maybe I would too if I could get it work even once. Oh well, I'll try in another 6 months or so I guess.

edited May 2020
    By the way, I've added a few more of the recently added ships to the spreadsheet dropdown list. I may have also added a couple more items to my fleet o' shame...

Erlkönig on
    edited May 2020
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    cool cool cool, glad to see there's still no actual game here yet so this thread has saved me the time to install it once again

I've maintained for some time that Star Citizen was not yet a game, just a "dicking around in space simulator". As of probably 3.7 I'd revise that; there is a game in there now, its just incredibly bare-bones, frequently bug-ridden, poorly optimized and still waiting on core tech to become the thing they've been promising for so long. But you can live your life as a space miner or deliveryman if you like just flying around delivering boxes, and with the introduction of the prison and some more criminal missions there is a very basic cops and robbers PVP gameplay loop if that's your thing.

I'm really glad it works for those people, I know someone else who tends to have decent experiences when he logs in. I'm sure it's great when it works!

So far it has worked exactly zero of the times I've tried it. And I say this as someone who generally tries to be positive about things! It's frustrating because people have told me there's stuff in this game but every time, and I do mean every time, I try to do that stuff the game just...doesn't work. And this has been the state of the game for years. I'm skeptical that these issues don't exist for other people, I think they're just more willing to push through them, and maybe I would too if I could get it work even once. Oh well, I'll try in another 6 months or so I guess.

I'll reiterate that a lot of the issues at the moment are server-based; there's a world of difference between logging into a fresh server (loads quickly, buttons and physics objects are fairly responsible, NPCs are walking around and doing their thing, enemies try their best to murder you with extreme prejudice) and one that's been spun up for a while (loads slowly, buttons and physics objects have a noticeable lag, NPCs are standing in place, probably on chairs and enemies take a while to acknowledge your presence). Sometimes I can log in and play for hours without hitting a bug, other times I've hopped servers three times and been hit with a bad one every time and given up.

On a more positive note, if you can actually get in-game, they're showing off some of the previously unseen capital ships this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO8mbKZHFSc

That's a big boy. One of the things that keeps me optimistic about this some day being a thing is that despite delay after delay, and things being pushed back and shuffled around and removed, CIG still manages to occasionally pull out a surprise or two. We knew that the Idris was basically finished, but nobody had any idea that the Javelin was in a state to be shown off. And for what its worth, its not just a stationary object hanging in space; the fleet actually travels from planet to planet, with space fireworks heralding their arrival. And if you try to shoot at it you'll discover that the guns are not just for show.

*edit* Here's a better video where an enterprising fellow tries attacking it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqBhs_JMg58

Now I'm just waiting for an org to get an organised fleet together and try to actually bring it down.

Mr Ray on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

I've maintained for some time that Star Citizen was not yet a game, just a "dicking around in space simulator". As of probably 3.7 I'd revise that; there is a game in there now, its just incredibly bare-bones, frequently bug-ridden, poorly optimized and still waiting on core tech to become the thing they've been promising for so long. But you can live your life as a space miner or deliveryman if you like just flying around delivering boxes, and with the introduction of the prison and some more criminal missions there is a very basic cops and robbers PVP gameplay loop if that's your thing.
    Honestly I just want Squadron 42 and a AAA Privateer/Freelancer followup is just a bonus

Doesn't really seem like I'll ever get either but who knows!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Welp. No news on the Javelin, but we have our first confirmed Idris kill. An org got a bunch of ships together and rammed it repeatedly to get it away from the rest of the fleet (and CaptainBerks glitches out of his ship)...

https://clips.twitch.tv/ArtisticWealthyHerbsKippa

The shields are brought down and the ramming continues, the Idris begins falling into atmosphere:

https://clips.twitch.tv/PeacefulConcernedWitchArgieB8

Idris hits the ground:

https://clips.twitch.tv/TransparentHeadstrongClamAMPEnergyCherry

And shortly after goes boom under sustained fire

https://clips.twitch.tv/CourageousBrightNeanderthalAsianGlow:

This discussion has been closed.