As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I live with my brother's family including his 3 year old son and I don't know if it's the lockdown or what but he's become a complete nightmare the past couple of weeks. Refusing to listen, deliberately misbehaving, laughing when being told off, then having a shrieking meltdown when he's finally made to do what he's told. Has started spitting and hitting. Is generally getting hyper a lot. Just SHOUTS ALL THE TIME. And has regressed from being toilet trained to wetting himself most days.

Is this a remotely normal thing for a 3 year old or is anyone seeing anything like this with kids who are cooped up at the moment?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I live with my brother's family including his 3 year old son and I don't know if it's the lockdown or what but he's become a complete nightmare the past couple of weeks. Refusing to listen, deliberately misbehaving, laughing when being told off, then having a shrieking meltdown when he's finally made to do what he's told. Has started spitting and hitting. Is generally getting hyper a lot. Just SHOUTS ALL THE TIME. And has regressed from being toilet trained to wetting himself most days.

Is this a remotely normal thing for a 3 year old or is anyone seeing anything like this with kids who are cooped up at the moment?

Toilet training regression in kids that age due to lockdown has been a pretty common thing discussed on twitter right now.

The other stuff is all common enough for 3 year olds, and also not unusual at all for toddlers in lockdown right now from what I've been seeing.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Okay, that's... Good. I guess.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    That just reminds me that we have to start getting Niko out of his nighttime diapers and oh boy, not looking forward to that

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    So I went ahead and set up family link and created a google account for my son, but I think the entire endeavour was pointless because google will not allow embedded youtube videos to be played. It only allows Youtube Kids App video to play. This means the classroom stuff I wanted him to be able to do won't function because a lot of it has embedded YT vids :(

Also googling for answers to this has been a nightmare.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    the youtube kids app, i found, was going to be more hassle than it's worth. The kid's already generated herself a playlist of what she likes/will watch.

I'd have to go through the app and recreate all of that. It's just... ugh no I don't have those spoons right now

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Ya my wife added it to Noah's tablet and so far I'm pretty annoyed.

It's mostly just kids playing with toys or adults playing with toys. I am firmly against that hyper consumerist, throwaway culture content.

I mean, growing up I remember adults being pissed off at the rise of product placement in movies/TV. This? It's just product. You don't even have to place it... just here.. buy this toy, 5 seconds later, and a new toy, and a new one, and a new one.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    yeah the first thing i saw when i logged into the app and picked the 5-7 year old group ) since the under 4 group was like... baby stuff and not at all enough to hold her attention) was Ryan's Channel and.. just no. No. No. No.

slightly related, actually not really. Does anybody have any experience on their kids having dyslexia? or being worried about them having it?

It's been little things, but Ellie writing her E's backwards, or reading the time off the stove and instead of 14:32 she reads 23:41. if you tell her to do left to right, she reads 14:53. I mean, she's 4, but when do I start actually worrying and not just mini concerned?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I thought growing pains was like a "teenagers can be shitty people" thing, not an actual physical thing with toddlers.

Interesting. I've never heard it used as a euphemism for teenage shittiness

I don't know that I've heard it explicitly in regards to shittyness, but just the general chaos of the change from child to teenager.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    yeah the first thing i saw when i logged into the app and picked the 5-7 year old group ) since the under 4 group was like... baby stuff and not at all enough to hold her attention) was Ryan's Channel and.. just no. No. No. No.

slightly related, actually not really. Does anybody have any experience on their kids having dyslexia? or being worried about them having it?

It's been little things, but Ellie writing her E's backwards, or reading the time off the stove and instead of 14:32 she reads 23:41. if you tell her to do left to right, she reads 14:53. I mean, she's 4, but when do I start actually worrying and not just mini concerned?

There was something I just watched recently about how just about everything in nature is left right symmetrical, and so learning to not mirror things is a distinctly human thing we have to teach ourselves. I'll see if I can find it again.

Edit: https://youtu.be/o1iYSsFqVG4

I realize this doesn't really answer anything about being dyslexic, but might offer something to assuage concerns.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    that was actually HUGELY helpful at calming my worries.

You are an anxiety spiral stopper, my friend, @Brody

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, my daughter is constantly still writing things backwards and she's 6. She reads well for her age, and doesn't seem to have any issues there. Teacher says it's fine, and just something kids do.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    YouTube kids only works when you set it up to only show pre-approved clips and channels. That way you can keep out the fucking computer generated content and the"””toy reviews"”". Never give your young child unsupervised access to regular YouTube, the algorithm will pick up within 3 videos that a child is watching and start auto playing the fucking worst shit that would never even be allowed on TV even when we were young.

Even then it is still lacking, because you can only add channels and clips that are approved by YouTube. So my plan to add the Hungry Hungry Caterpillar theatre show and Jelles Marble Runs didn't work either.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

It's mostly just kids playing with toys or adults playing with toys. I am firmly against that hyper consumerist, throwaway culture content.

I mean, growing up I remember adults being pissed off at the rise of product placement in movies/TV. This? It's just product. You don't even have to place it... just here.. buy this toy, 5 seconds later, and a new toy, and a new one, and a new one.

What, you mean Ryan’s Toy Review is trying to get me to buy shit?

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Yes, yes, hot take I know.

But it's so much more nefarious with this kind of content. It's a constant cycle of dopamine for these kids to see toy/egg/whatever after toy/egg/whatever opened again and again.

• Options

But it's so much more nefarious with this kind of content. It's a constant cycle of dopamine for these kids to see toy/egg/whatever after toy/egg/whatever opened again and again.

Toys Unlimited with Essy.

I will say that Genevieve's playhouse isn't as overly obnoxious as Ryan or Essy. They're usually playing with the toys but it's not always new toy sets.

Ellie has now found "Miniforce" which is like a cartoon power rangers/Voltron thing. Lots more fighting than say pj masks, but about the same level as thundercats or transformers, or GI Joe. All of which I was watching at her age. We watch with her, or at least in the same room, so I haven't found much objectionable.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My daughter is on a huge Mario kick. Party games, side-scrollers, karting, you name, she loves it! Of course, she's also equally excited about Princess Peach and Princess Daisy, alongside Mario's brother "gooigi" (which had nothing to do with Luigi's Mansion).

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

I will say that Genevieve's playhouse isn't as overly obnoxious as Ryan or Essy. They're usually playing with the toys but it's not always new toy sets.

Ellie has now found "Miniforce" which is like a cartoon power rangers/Voltron thing. Lots more fighting than say pj masks, but about the same level as thundercats or transformers, or GI Joe. All of which I was watching at her age. We watch with her, or at least in the same room, so I haven't found much objectionable.

I don't know, I would call the theme song something when belted at the top of his lungs.

Specifically with GI Joe (and a lot of 80s Saturday morning cartoons) the shows were specifically to sell the toy line--the toys weren't created because of the show like you might think. Selling toys through kids programming was regulated in the US until it was lifted in the 80s, when we start seeing a flood of these shows. GI Joe toys were around in the 60s, but they never really took off until Hasbro teamed up with Marvel and developed the show, comics, etc.

Care Bears actually showed up on birthday cards first, before becoming toys, and only then becoming a show.

It's kind of fascinating to me.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

My 3 year old loves miniforce and now plays with my older son's power ranger action figures as miniforce guys at the hospital. you can't tell the difference and he thinks it's awesome

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I unironically love the miniforce theme song, whoever performed it had a friggin blast. If there's a musical equivalent to chewing the scenery in acting, that's it.

• Options
    miniforce did really key me into the absolute truckload of kids' programming on Netflix (and everywhere I suppose) that is very obviously and terribly lip synched from it's native language. It is....abysmally done.

• Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    miniforce did really key me into the absolute truckload of kids' programming on Netflix (and everywhere I suppose) that is very obviously and terribly lip synched from it's native language. It is....abysmally done.

I'm from the Netherlands, so basically all content is dubbed, except for shows that are produced either here or in Belgium. So y'know. WELCOME TO MY WORLD 8-)

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I absolutely loathe almost all the korean based animation stuff Netflix seems to have picked up in bulk. They hurt my eyes and my brains. Also, the themes and lessons in almost all of them are terrible. Just the way they treat the female characters alone is tiring.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    I absolutely loathe almost all the korean based animation stuff Netflix seems to have picked up in bulk. They hurt my eyes and my brains. Also, the themes and lessons in almost all of them are terrible. Just the way they treat the female characters alone is tiring.

You have watched Ruby Rainbow

• Options
    Since we're talking about kids programming again, it's a good time to recommend Bluey, if you have access to it. It's on Disney+, not sure where else.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I broke quarantine because my cousin really needed someone to watch her little daughter because of a whole thing. This daughter is my favorite, she's a tricky little imp, but she's adorable.

We watched The Princess Bride 3 times, and according to her mom, she's had to watch it with her 3 more times and now she is swordfighting everything in the house.

so uh, maybe The Princess Bride?

• Options
    Since we're talking about kids programming again, it's a good time to recommend Bluey, if you have access to it. It's on Disney+, not sure where else.

We've recently got it (dubbed, obviously) on the Disney channel here. It is very funny and Dad is a good role model for me.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Could've sworn my 11 month old muttered "murder" earlier on.....

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

We've recently got it (dubbed, obviously) on the Disney channel here. It is very funny and Dad is a good role model for me.

There's apparently chatter about how the show follows what psychologists suggest not just for kids, but the rolls for parents as well. I do find the show very good at making the characters feel like people instead of caricatures.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

There's apparently chatter about how the show follows what psychologists suggest not just for kids, but the rolls for parents as well. I do find the show very good at making the characters feel like people instead of caricatures.

After watching a bunch of Bluey with Kate the other day, I realized I need to step up my dad game. I really like that show. Plus the accents are awesome to me.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

After watching a bunch of Bluey with Kate the other day, I realized I need to step up my dad game. I really like that show. Plus the accents are awesome to me.

Both parents are great. I love the one where they climb their parents like a mountain (Mount Momandad!). The honesty of "Okay, we'll play with you as long as we don't have to move or do anything" is too real.

And it's still somehow a really good lesson for the kids in the end.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Bingo packing the ballerina for no reason and using it accidentally to put Dad back to sleep is pretty funny.

• Options

Do they have Australian accents originally? I'm jealous now.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

Do they have Australian accents originally? I'm jealous now.

Yes.
    I'm decimated that they don't have Australian accents elsewhere.
    Even in bad dub land.

discrider on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Athena's favorite thing for me to do right now is " Follow, follow, follow the leader....HEY!"

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »

Molang is pretty fun, but it's very firmly preschool

MV5BMTk0YWU2YTktNTk4MS00MDE5LThhODctODYzZTc5ODZjMTg1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM3MDMyMDQ@._V1_.jpg

I am so so sad I can't seem to get a hold of Bluey. We don't have disney plus and buying it on itunes is really cost prohibitive because it's like 20 bucks for 4 episode batches. In Australia you can watch it online for free and also in Australia you can buy entire seasons on DVD for like 10 bucks a piece.

I wanna watch it with my son because he doesn't get any Australian content and it was even MADE by a friend of mine.

• Options
    There are some truly, truly abysmal kids shows on netflix that are now banned in my house. There's one with a bunch of baby animals in diapers that is truly disturbing, there's another one called 44 cats that is also forbidden.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    cursedking wrote: »
    There are some truly, truly abysmal kids shows on netflix that are now banned in my house. There's one with a bunch of baby animals in diapers that is truly disturbing, there's another one called 44 cats that is also forbidden.

Ugh yeah, Word Party and 44 Cats are just dumb. Word Party at least teaches kids some Chinese words, but it is so ugly. I banned Veggie Tales, I didn't know it was intended to teach children about Christianity, so it took me a while to catch on that that piece of fruit was unironically quoting the fucking Bible.

There are more shitty shows, there's Hatchimals (tie in to selling Hatchimals toys) and Shopkins that are a no-go.

Aldo on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    My kiddo is 3 and we've got a few shows he rotates through, because otherwise I'd hammer nails into my head.

"Pororo" is a pretty awful show in my opinion, where everyone seems to be a jerk and then at the end, *poof*, they're all friends again. It's the one show thus far that I've just straight vetoed.

On the other hand, "YooHoo To The Rescue" is a pretty cute show with various anthropomorphic animals that both tries to talk about different animals as well as examine "life lessons". It's pretty harmless, except the theme song which is weaponized ear-worm material. I've caught myself hum-singing it in the shower more than once. Puffin Rock is good, we like Octonauts, Pocoyo is also cute (but feels very preschool), Charlie's Colorforms City is all about creating stories through imagination, Chip and Potato is cute (though sometimes a bit sugary for my tastes), and Go! Go! Cory Carson is a new one we're trying that seems fine. He also watches Hilda on Netflix.

Over on Disney+ he really likes Bluey and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. He's somewhat interested in that new CG Muppet Babies, but I just haven't given the time to figure out if I'm okay with it or not. Oh, and he likes the new Ducktales. :biggrin:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur