As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    He signed the order.

via WaPo:
    President Trump signed an executive order Wednesday restricting certain categories of immigrants from entering the United States for 60 days as the country reels from the coronavirus pandemic, but the measure contains broad exceptions and is more limited than the sweeping closure he proclaimed on Twitter earlier in the week.

The order, which takes effect Thursday, will not apply to immigrants who already are living and working in the United States and are seeking to become legal permanent residents. Medical professionals, farmworkers and others who enter on temporary “nonimmigrant” visas are unaffected, and the suspension also exempts the spouses and underage children of U.S. citizens, among other carve-outs.

It clearly has nothing to do with Covid, and everything to do with "jobs." Basically:
    The order characterized the move almost entirely in economic terms, with the president facing a difficult reelection contest this November amid the pandemic crisis.

Alternatively, this also has nothing to do with jobs, and was just a Stephen Miller special to distract his xenophobic base from the current shit show; with the exemptions for work visas grudgingly tacked on to mitigate the impact on an economy already in crisis.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    He signed the order.

via WaPo:
    President Trump signed an executive order Wednesday restricting certain categories of immigrants from entering the United States for 60 days as the country reels from the coronavirus pandemic, but the measure contains broad exceptions and is more limited than the sweeping closure he proclaimed on Twitter earlier in the week.

The order, which takes effect Thursday, will not apply to immigrants who already are living and working in the United States and are seeking to become legal permanent residents. Medical professionals, farmworkers and others who enter on temporary “nonimmigrant” visas are unaffected, and the suspension also exempts the spouses and underage children of U.S. citizens, among other carve-outs.

It clearly has nothing to do with Covid, and everything to do with "jobs." Basically:
    The order characterized the move almost entirely in economic terms, with the president facing a difficult reelection contest this November amid the pandemic crisis.

Alternatively, this also has nothing to do with jobs, and was just a Stephen Miller special to distract his xenophobic base from the current shit show; with the exemptions for work visas grudgingly tacked on to mitigate the impact on an economy already in crisis.

Turns out the WaPo has audio of Stephen Miller basically admitting to private donots that this is the case.

Also man I'm gonna miss fresh vegetables and fresh avocados.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I move that we henceforth refer to private donors purely as private donuts

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    nvm

Phillishere on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    He signed the order.

via WaPo:

Wonder if this will affect my cousin. She's Norwegian, and got offered a tenured professorship (math) at NYU. Probably not, because she's the whitest person imaginable, and I assume the new rules are not retroactive (she's still here in Norway, but I believe the paperwork's already taken care of).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    A sign of how bad ICE concentration camps are infected: two camp guards died from COVID-19. Plenty of other guards and ICE employees are infected as well, probably getting it from detainees since viruses don't respect arbitrary lines.

Hundreds of detainees have tested positive, but exact numbers (and how many deaths there are) aren't reported since ICE isn't reporting how many people they're detaining anyway. They probably don't know, since recordkeeping is spotty at best. As for the guards, ICE just wants people to know that those two guards were contractors or something so they don't really count as employees and thus can't be blamed for it. Face-eating leopards are not known for their honor.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The president never gives up on any terrible idea he has. He is back to wanting the border wall painted black.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/trump-border-wall-black-paint/2020/05/06/dbda8ae4-8eff-11ea-8df0-ee33c3f5b0d6_story.html
    President Trump is once more pushing to have his border wall painted black, a design change that is projected to add at least $500 million in costs, according to government contracting estimates obtained by The Washington Post.

The president’s determination to have the steel bollards coated in black has fluctuated during the past several years, and military commanders and border officials believed as recently as last fall that they had finally talked him out of it. They consider the black paint unnecessary, costly and a significant long-term maintenance burden, and they left it out of the original U.S. Customs and Border Protection design specifications.

Trump has not let go of the idea, insisting that the dark color will enhance its forbidding appearance and leave the steel too hot to touch during summer months. During a border wall meeting at the White House last month amid the coronavirus pandemic, the president told Jared Kushner and aides to move forward with the paint job and to seek out cost estimates, according to four administration officials with knowledge of the meeting.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Wait is the wall being built behind another wall or is this just extra cost that’s going to covered in inspirational graffiti from the Mexican side like all the other parts of the border that already exist

• Options
    Wait shit I forgot, the wall will be built in the US but we’ll have alligator moats to protect it from artists

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    He wants it to look all Darth Vader castle but in like 6 months in the elements it’s going to look like absolute garbage and definitely won’t have the budget for upkeep.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    He wants it to look all Darth Vader castle but in like 6 months in the elements it’s going to look like absolute garbage and definitely won’t have the budget for upkeep.

Black shows dust real good. This will become the dirt tan wall for much of its length in about two weeks.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Iirc, he wants it black so it's too hot to climb; as opposed to some non-black metal pole that's been roasting in the desert sun all day.

Side note: a thin layer of paint to bite into, however hot, seems like it would just make it easier to climb?

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    The wall is so. fucking. stupid. Literally none of it is even within the same hemisphere as a good idea and yet they find ways to make it even worse

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    The wall is so. fucking. stupid. Literally none of it is even within the same hemisphere as a good idea and yet they find ways to make it even worse

He sees a dumb wall and he wants it painted black.

• Options
    Don’t drag the Stones into this

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    The president never gives up on any terrible idea he has. He is back to wanting the border wall painted black.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/trump-border-wall-black-paint/2020/05/06/dbda8ae4-8eff-11ea-8df0-ee33c3f5b0d6_story.html
    President Trump is once more pushing to have his border wall painted black, a design change that is projected to add at least $500 million in costs, according to government contracting estimates obtained by The Washington Post.

The president’s determination to have the steel bollards coated in black has fluctuated during the past several years, and military commanders and border officials believed as recently as last fall that they had finally talked him out of it. They consider the black paint unnecessary, costly and a significant long-term maintenance burden, and they left it out of the original U.S. Customs and Border Protection design specifications.

Trump has not let go of the idea, insisting that the dark color will enhance its forbidding appearance and leave the steel too hot to touch during summer months. During a border wall meeting at the White House last month amid the coronavirus pandemic, the president told Jared Kushner and aides to move forward with the paint job and to seek out cost estimates, according to four administration officials with knowledge of the meeting.

I'll put money down that he doesn't understand white spray paint exists and thinks this will stop vandalism.

The upside is if they do this, they will never maintain it and symbolically it will always look cracked.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    How much wall has actually been built, anyway? I know its > 0, but that's it.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

If you don’t count the section that was built only to repair/replace existing structures and barricades?

3 miles.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »

If you don’t count the section that was built only to repair/replace existing structures and barricades?

3 miles.

Please tell me that's at least contiguous?

Cause with these chucklefucks it wouldn't surprise me if that was 50ft sections spaced 100ft apart. That way it'd be 200% longer!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    They also destroyed irreplaceable saguaro groves

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sounds like Stephen Miller finally realised J-1 visas exist

Michael Clemens is an economist and author

hope you guys enjoyed having any kind of US-based research initiatives, at all, because if they ban J-1's that's gonna fall apart instantly.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

hope you guys enjoyed having any kind of US-based research initiatives, at all, because if they ban J-1's that's gonna fall apart instantly.

How many avenues of immigration are even left at this point?

• Options
    edited June 2020
    At the top end, that leaves O-visas, which let in billionaires and "people of exceptional talent".

There might also be some right down the bottom which exclusively admit maintenance staff for Trump's golf-courses and hotels.

edit: and the visa class I'm on, which I'm superstitiously not even gonna mention in case just talking about it makes it go away.

tynic on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Wow. If that goes through it's going to cripple our R&D.

I bet we start to see brain drain from the US to other countries, instead of the other way around.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

The ones where you have white skin.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The ones where you have white skin.

Based on some coworkers' experiences, that isn't even enough anymore.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    J-1 at least aren’t allocated by country of origin so this hits everyone. I’m sure miller would prefer to target only brown people, but they’ve finally learnt that being too obvious about the racism makes them lose court challenges.

tynic on
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

I bet we start to see brain drain from the US to other countries, instead of the other way around.

Start? It's already happening (there are at least a few highly educated folks on these forums that have left the USA for good). This will just accelerate it; as folks will want to continue their research in a country that their colleagues can actually get in and stay for long periods of time.

• Options
    I can say from personal experience that quite a few Australian universities had some extremely successful recruitment drives in the wake of the 2016 election.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    J-1 at least aren’t allocated by country of origin so this hits everyone. I’m sure miller would prefer to target only brown people, but they’ve finally learnt that being too obvious about the racism makes them lose court challenges.

Miller's probably aware that smart people tend to eventually have problems with fascism, just boot em out no

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options

Start? It's already happening (there are at least a few highly educated folks on these forums that have left the USA for good). This will just accelerate it; as folks will want to continue their research in a country that their colleagues can actually get in and stay for long periods of time.

I hadn't realize the exodus had already begun. The loss of the world's best and brightest is one of those changes that doesn't hurt visibly immediately, but in 10 years it's going to be obvious what happened.

Just one more aspect of the American empire ripped down in a single administration. Well done, Trump.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

I hadn't realize the exodus had already begun. The loss of the world's best and brightest is one of those changes that doesn't hurt visibly immediately, but in 10 years it's going to be obvious what happened.

Just one more aspect of the American empire ripped down in a single administration. Well done, Trump.

These last 3,5 years will hurt the US for decades, if not forever. But they're just the final outbreak of symptoms long brewing

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The last six months have multiplied my interest in moving out of the USA. Not just for myself but also because, if I do have kids, there's no fucking way I would want to send them through the nightmare of the public school system to face our shitty college system to compete for jobs in a market that's underpaying everybody by a solid 25-30%, leaving them struggling to buy houses in a massively over-inflated real estate market (as that is where it will always end up in in the USA).

I've got a degree and experience that would let me move probably anywhere, the only major limiting factor is language (naturally, I'm an American so I was only ever decently taught the one worthy language: American). And considering what I went through to get my degree, I feel like like learning a new language at this point would be more of an interesting challenge than a huge barrier.

And yeah, that consideration is directly because of the events of this presidency, particularly in revealing how impossible Trump supporters are going to make it to allow any kind of positive forward change in the country.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

Half of the other students in my department are immigrants. Many go on to work at large US national labs as a postdoc, especially so in our nuclear and particle groups.

This will seriously fuck over these large labs. NSCL and Jefferson Lab are two of the big ones. Holy fuck this is monumentally stupid.

Par for the course from the shit heads in this administration I guess.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Half of the other students in my department are immigrants. Many go on to work at large US national labs as a postdoc, especially so in our nuclear and particle groups.

This will seriously fuck over these large labs. NSCL and Jefferson Lab are two of the big ones. Holy fuck this is monumentally stupid.

Par for the course from the shit heads in this administration I guess.

Sounds like good news for (the European) CERN.
    It's bad news for CERN, too. Everybody relies on international collaboration.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    How many people were barred from attending or presenting at conferences in the US because they couldn't get visas? International collaboration is just moving elsewhere.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Trump's presence in politics is literally why I got my Canadian citizenship and tried to learn some French.

The illusion that the US is a great place for anyone but the 1% has been ripped away in a thousand ways.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Sweet, the US is going full-on 1950's East Berlin and actively making itself too dumb to survive.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
This discussion has been closed.