As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Michigan Politics: Dem Trifecta!!!

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    No, they probably don't. Or it's a shipost from someone on arfcom. Because $800-1000 is no longer lower end pricing as the market has grown significantly in the last 20 years and prices have been driven down heavily by competition. There's no way he can tell from a photo this zoomed out if the ACOG is a Chinesium knock off. A left handed person can absolutely safely fire a gun which is designed for a right handed user. EoTech is not bargain bin in any way. Vortex is more budget friendly (sometimes) but it isn't bargain bin either.

Basically, it seems like the person has maybe a surface level knowledge of the things they are writing about, or it's a deliberate shitpost by some arfcom "patrician" with a $2500 rifle.

That linked post is pretty 4chan LARPer elitist, e.g. Vortex is totally fine

OTOH the earlier pictures former the protest two weeks ago were like

people wearing plate carriers below their vitals, out of shape, that dumb foregrip with the included bipod, etc.

I'm thinking those plates are AR500, and they're going to spall

nobody has a fucking IFAK or even a tourniquet

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular

Worth referencing. Also the GOP Senate leader called the terrorists "jackasses" today.

Harwood's a CNBC newsperson.

I wonder what reason he might have had for not saying it yesterday to their face, as they stood in the gallery with their hands on their rifle.

• PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Basically the textbook definition of vocal minority, then.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Honestly someone @ me next time they get word and I'll drive down there and see for myself, I'm about 10 minutes away.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    The legislature is mad about having a Democratic governor errr a governor who is not including the legislature in all of her decisions so is now threatening to hold up dispersal of the emergency fund money.
    So far, lawmakers have been cooperative in approving the coronavirus funding Whitmer's administration has requested. But that could change, Hernandez and Stamas said Saturday.

"We're the ones who are receiving calls daily from businesses that are struggling, people that are struggling with unemployment and not receiving checks."

Is it November yet so we can vote these silly geese out of office?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    The legislature is mad about having a Democratic governor errr a governor who is not including the legislature in all of her decisions so is now threatening to hold up dispersal of the emergency fund money.
    So far, lawmakers have been cooperative in approving the coronavirus funding Whitmer's administration has requested. But that could change, Hernandez and Stamas said Saturday.

"We're the ones who are receiving calls daily from businesses that are struggling, people that are struggling with unemployment and not receiving checks."

Given the maps it's not super likely we will. Democracy!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.

My wife is in the running to be on the redistricting so there is hope in the future but yep, the maps are still messed up.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

My wife is in the running to be on the redistricting so there is hope in the future but yep, the maps are still messed up.

Still insane that maps are done in a clearly partisan manner.

But it's still only like fourth, on my list of "That's fucked up for the poster country for democracy".

MorganV wrote: »

But it's still only like fourth, on my list of "That's fucked up for the poster country for democracy".

I thought England got rid of rotten boroughs for the mother of parliaments?

MorganV wrote: »

We did pass a thing to fix it via our initiative process. And the GOP is working to defund it because of course they are.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Michigan Republicans once again decide "Hey, we haven't had our chance to fuck things up for a while... let's get to work!"

They've given themselves the power to sue the Governor and are doing so.

They're whining over the fact they didn't get the chance to hold the state hostage for political gains and are currently judge-shopping to find one to declare Whitmer's lockdown extension as overstepping her bounds so they can force open the gates and fuck us Georgia style.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    We're still 7th in cases and 4th in deaths and it's just now moving into the rural parts of the state.

We're still 7th in cases and 4th in deaths and it's just now moving into the rural parts of the state.

Just as the travel ban was fucking lifted, as I believe I called it. The travel lockdown needs to be re-instituted, it's still not ready to happen. But the Repubs will throw tantrums and fling their hands in the air about how keeping people safe isn't fair to big business, and piss and moan about it until they get what they want.

I don't want to see Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids turn into something like New York...

steam_sig.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    https://www.wxyz.com/news/royal-oak-commissioner-kim-gibbs-apologizes-after-allegedly-shoplifting-at-local-meijer

Don't think the original story got posted here, but the Royal Oak Commissioner has been out of work and like a great many in the state has had difficulty filing for unemployment, she previously drew criticism for attending the protests in Lansing.

Money ran out. She was forced to choose between eating and refilling her prescriptions and chose her medicine, and was then reduced to shoplifting food from Meijer.

From her rambling mess of an apology she has learned the wrong lessons from being reduced to what so many people in the state dealt with every month even in the beforetimes.

Hevach on
    The stay at home order is extended until the end of May and we get a step by step list of what needs to be done to get things opened.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/05/07/whitmer-extends-stay-home-order-through-may-28/3090683001/

And of course the Republicans hate it just because.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Number of newly admitted patients testing positive for covid at University of Michigan hospitals down below where it was at the end of March. Not sure on the number of tests being done- if they are only testing suspected cases and not more obvious ones, etc, but that seems like a good sign for the SE area.

The CoD cosplayers seem to be at it again- this time providing "security" for a shithead barber in Owosso to re-open his shop with no masks or anything.

steam_sig.png
    More news...

Remember the shithead barber who decided he was going to flout the lockdown? Well, the state's responded by pulling his shop and barber licenses for his antics. But, of course, they can't shut him down without a court order. Said shithead's lawyer is already hitting the classic responses of entitlement ("It's retribution, abuse of power, he's standing up for what he believes in arglebarglebargle"), and he's still going and violating because now he's running a shop and cutting hair without a license (he's still in his shop, cutting hair). I hope tomorrow we get to hear of this jackass getting chucked in jail for running his shop without a license, or something.

Also... the stupid fuckhead CoD cosplayers were at it again today in Lansing. The usual suspects were there- blowhard doomsday preachers pissing and moaning about abortion, hardcore Trumpist imbeciles with signs, people comparing Governor Whitmer to Hitler, anti-vaxxers, militia-types waving around their guns, and the like. Here's a photo bank by a CBS station of some of them, if anyone wanted to take a look- fair warning, though, the anti-abortionists did have some pretty disturbing signs (#36 is the only one with them, though).

But, yes, there are a bunch of entitled whiners there, too- with signs whining about why they can't open their hair salons and get their dog groomed, of all things. I mean... there's these things called "bathtubs" and "doggy shampoo", guys. If you get that desperate for a haircut, then you can just grab a mirror and some scissors and do it yourself. Might not look like the salon's best work, but it'll pass, believe me.

There was a bit of a scuffle- someone carrying around a Barbie doll tied in a noose brought an axe or hatchet, and that was confiscated. I'm sure everyone felt a lot safer, what with the giant piles of guns the usual idiots were toting around. :? Good thing they managed to ban guns from the capitol- oh wait...

steam_sig.png
    Also we cancelled the legislative session as a result. A great precedent.

Also we cancelled the legislative session as a result. A great precedent.

Oh, goddamnit. This is going to lead to a bunch of these fuckers trying to camp out, or them swarming on vote days and the like. And yet the Republicans are dragging their goddamn feet on a firearms ban for the capitol building. I wonder why? /s

steam_sig.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Welp, I am tapping out. I have a ticket to get the hell out of here next week. It is one way

It is in no small part to the fact that I have not felt safe since I came out that I am leaving.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Awesome for the fact that you're getting out, not for the fact that you have to :(

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Northern Michigan is opening up but you are going to need a Covid plan in place by June 1 or two weeks before opening.

The thing that stuck out is you need one or more people to be Covid supervisors so that someone will be with your employees whenever they are working and will report on everything. It's a good read and hopefully will get all the silly geese off the governor's back. (wishful thinking, I know)

Northern Michigan is opening up but you are going to need a Covid plan in place by June 1 or two weeks before opening.

The thing that stuck out is you need one or more people to be Covid supervisors so that someone will be with your employees whenever they are working and will report on everything. It's a good read and hopefully will get all the silly geese off the governor's back. (wishful thinking, I know)

Nope.

Whitmer says hair salons are 'very unlikely to open next week'.

They're going to start issuing tickets to businesses who violate things (I forsee the creation of hundreds of GoFundMe for stupid jackasses hit by this in three... two... one...).

In other news, the Michigan Conservative Coalition- a.k.a. the whiny imbeciles behind Operation Roadblock- the last big protest around the Capitol- are all set up to have another go, despite all our wishful thinking. They're calling it "Operation Haircut", and so I imagine it's going to involve people getting styled in front of the Capitol building or something while the usual Trumpers/militia gun nuts/anti-abortion loudmouth "preachers"/antivaxxers/racist Nazi fuckheads stand around, wave their guns in the air while wearing bulletproof vests and trying to look as macho as their CoD characters and whine about how they can't go out and get their haircut or whatever.

It's scheduled for tomorrow, the 20th.

steam_sig.png
    So Midland is fucked. Massive rains led to the breach of a couple dams on the Tittabawassee River. Whitmer's saying that downtown will be under 9 feet of water by tomorrow afternoon.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Looks like the same two dams that broke in the 80's and basically ended up flooding the whole tri cities. They aren't even needed for power anymore, there's been talk of draining Wixom and Sandford lakes since the 90's but all the vacation homeowners don't want their lakefront homes to become holefront homes.

Also privately owned with two decades worth of safety violations.

So Midland is fucked. Massive rains led to the breach of a couple dams on the Tittabawassee River. Whitmer's saying that downtown will be under 9 feet of water by tomorrow afternoon.

Shit.

Maybe somebody in Lansing can ask the protestors why they're sitting there pissing and moaning about things they can't do why, if they're so unafraid of corona, aren't they all heading out to Midland to help with the disaster relief efforts? Surely brave, valiant, macho people could actually go do something to help instead of letting things go completely to hell while they watch, hm? (Especially because we can count on nothing coming from the feds for it- neither relief or financial aid- in fact I fully expect Donnie the Clown to crow about it on Twitter (and insult Whitmer again) instead of doing anything useful.

But yeah, all Midland can do right now is try to save everything they can and then just wait out the water to flow on and then fix everything up. During a pandemic, of all things.

Well, the construction workers were so gung-ho about getting back to work, there's the perfect project for them: go to Midland and fix everything off!

steam_sig.png
    Midland County was 60-36 for Trump, so they'll get relief.

Eeeh below the state resolution Trump has shown he doesn't recognize the distinction. Parts of California that went for him were fucked with the rest.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

Needs to be made abundantly clear, because Trump (and his nutbag brigade) are misrepresenting it.

Michigan is being sent applications for absentee ballots. NOT absentee ballots.

This is like sending out to a high school applications for a driver's license. There's still a significant step missing (specifically, taking the license exam) before the student can drive.

But it's much easier to claim voter fraud if you completely misrepresent the facts.

MorganV on

Glad my in-laws were able to sell and move a few months ago since they've needed to downsize for a few years. Odds are decent the house would stay dry, it's on higher ground, but still. It looks like the tridge is even underwater. Oof.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Areas of Florida hit hard by Hurricane Michael, despite being very Trump-supporting areas in a state Trump needs, got very little if any relief. They were treated only slightly less badly than Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria.

But it didn't matter to the Trumpists. A year afterward, people in buildings still lacking walls were parroting their support for Trump's stupid border wall and sending funds to build that boondoggle over, you know, having their own shelter.

That's just what happens now - no one gets relief aside from the super-rich cronies and toadies. If they don't like Trump, he won't give them a cent. If they do like Trump, they will still worship their messiah of hatred no matter what he doesn't do for them, so why give them a cent?

edited May 2020
    Maybe add Currently Under Water to the title

cdm6y3lj7cwr.jpg

Historical map of flood stages by likelihood. It's going to be the most extreme one, and possibly even worse than that.

moniker on
    edited May 2020
    Yeah, that worst case outline is from the last time these two dams broke, which was back when they were structurally sound and operational, not when they were just blocks in the water owned by a bankrupt company desperate for a way to sell them.

Not to mention when the state wasn't broke, the current President didn't use disaster relief as a weapon against the states, and the world wasn't doing so well filling its apocalypse bingo card.

Midland is fucked, and looks like a good chunk of Freeland and Shields is going with them. The water's already higher in Shields than it ever got in the 86 flood, basically everything south of Gratiot is evacuated or stranded, with the bridges out it's completely cut off from most of Saginaw without going clear down to Chesaning and coming back up Dixie. My father-in-law just got evacuated and his bottom floor condo is a total loss, so now he lives with us. Did I mention his ex-wife already lives with us? Yeah, zippity fucking doodah life sure is fun.

Hevach on
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    So dams breaking bad dams breached?

At least it's gorgeous out today, so recovery efforts should be assisted by that?

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It is the time of year where Michigan is the most beautiful place in CONUS