As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Upgrading my Computer - Need a Quick Double Check

ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
I'm about to do an upgrade on my gaming computer, as it has hit the seven year mark, and is not able to play newer titles as well as I would like. A few years ago I upgraded my video card, so that will stay the same for the next year or so.

My current setup:
CPU: i5-4670k
MB: Asus Z87-Pro
RAM: 2x4gb Kingston HyperX DDR3
PS: Corsair TX750M 750W
GPU: Geforce GTX 1060 3GB
SSD: 1x 120GB, 1x 250GB (Samsung/Corsair)
HDD: 1x 1TB Western Digital
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred (XL)

What I am looking to upgrade to:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
MB: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(2x16) DDR4 (3200MHz)

Otherwise I'd like to recycle my current parts. I do know I will need to upgrade my GPU in the next couple years, and I'm good with that for the time being.

I've obviously been out of date on how things have evolved in the last few years, and I'm mostly looking for confirmation I haven't created any issues with my intended build/haven't overlooked a detail somewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I did a bunch of research on your old mobo not reading properly and realizing you were swapping.

So you're just looking to bring over your old drives, case, and GPU? Should be fine though your machine will really feel the choke out on that graphics card.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Feel free to check in with the PC Build Thread if you have specific questions

The main thing we'll recommend is probably an aftermarket cooler

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    If that power supply is also 7 years old, I'd seriously recommend replacing it.

Edit: also, don't spend money on Win10. You can use your current existing Win7 key to legitimately activate a fresh install of Win10 (if you didn't already know that).

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    The new ryzen coolers, depending on where in the series you get, are actually negating the need for a different cooler unless you're doing serious overclocking

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I did a bunch of research on your old mobo not reading properly and realizing you were swapping.

So you're just looking to bring over your old drives, case, and GPU? Should be fine though your machine will really feel the choke out on that graphics card.

Yeah, sorry... I wanted to include all the info I could to make sure there wasn't a nagging detail I missed somewhere. My plan is to upgrade the graphics card next year (I use my tax returns for this), so my suffering won't be too long lived. My wife's computer needs the graphics card upgrade more than mine does right now.

Edit: also, don't spend money on Win10. You can use your current existing Win7 key to legitimately activate a fresh install of Win10 (if you didn't already know that).

I did not know that... So I can install Win10 using my wife's copy and just activate with my Win7 key?

That will save me some money. Also, good point on the power supply, I'll make sure to add another one. Didn't really consider its age.
    The new ryzen coolers, depending on where in the series you get, are actually negating the need for a different cooler unless you're doing serious overclocking

Yeah, I've traditionally avoided overclocking. Although I think with this build I might actually give it a try a few years into its lifespan. That said, the case I use has 8x 120mm and 1x 200mm fans, so I think in combination with the stock cooler I should be okay for the time being.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    For me it was the stock cooler being annoying when it spun up/down depending on core load, for my 3800X. The Noctua fan+cooler I have in now are much less noisy when spinning up.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    For me it was the stock cooler being annoying when it spun up/down depending on core load, for my 3800X. The Noctua fan+cooler I have in now are much less noisy when spinning up.

100% the noise is better. But I'd never recommend spending $70+ on a noctua for someone cost cutting.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Comahawk wrote: »

I did not know that... So I can install Win10 using my wife's copy and just activate with my Win7 key?

That will save me some money. Also, good point on the power supply, I'll make sure to add another one. Didn't really consider its age.

Yup, just install Win10 normally and activate with Win7 key.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    You should consider finding money for a bigger SSD to be the main drive, maybe even an M2 type one. The prices of SSD's has come down a lot and the performance has increased a good deal on the same time. Having a 512 GB or 1 TB unit for OS and main application is a really nice thing.
    Also why do you want 32 GB ram, even 8 GB is enough for most things and 2x8 GB will do fine unless you have some specific needs for more. Remember adding more is always possible, so no need to buy before needed.
    Finally don't forget about monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse. If all that is 7 years old then you should consider also lookinga at upgrades there also, this of course depending on what you have and needs only it is worth remembering. Fx. I'm using a 40" 4K monitor as the main screen and loving it - and those are not that expensive.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

100% the noise is better. But I'd never recommend spending $70+ on a noctua for someone cost cutting.

This is kind of my logic too, also with the massive amount of fans the case uses, reducing fan noise is kinda moot; it already sounds like a small turbine.
    You should consider finding money for a bigger SSD to be the main drive, maybe even an M2 type one. The prices of SSD's has come down a lot and the performance has increased a good deal on the same time. Having a 512 GB or 1 TB unit for OS and main application is a really nice thing.
    Also why do you want 32 GB ram, even 8 GB is enough for most things and 2x8 GB will do fine unless you have some specific needs for more. Remember adding more is always possible, so no need to buy before needed.
    Finally don't forget about monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse. If all that is 7 years old then you should consider also lookinga at upgrades there also, this of course depending on what you have and needs only it is worth remembering. Fx. I'm using a 40" 4K monitor as the main screen and loving it - and those are not that expensive.

All of my peripherals and monitors are much newer. I will be looking at replacing my smaller SSD probably next year when I upgrade the GPU.

Some games are actually starting to push the 8GB limit (specifically Mount and Blade 2 - using my wife's PC to play it, it is regularly using ~12GB of memory), so instead of just upgrading to 16GB I decided to increase the potential lifespan of this build with 32GB. Might be a bit of a waste, but the extra $40 might also prevent me from having to make another upgrade later.

KB&M is something I will be looking at in the near future. I'm always trying to find quiet ones that meet my needs (programmable buttons on the mouse/profiles for switching buttons quickly between games). Key component is always the noise though. Personally hate clacky keyboards and load mouse buttons.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Comahawk wrote: »

Yup, just install Win10 normally and activate with Win7 key.

If you reuse the drive you can just plug it in. It will switch everything fine.

camo_sig.png