As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Voice-to-Text Software for an OLD

BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party?Registered User regular
Hey all, I found a thread back from 2017 and wanted to test the waters, is Dragon's software still the best for transcription? Is it simple to use for a person who is 60+? Also, does anyone have experience with the professional version vs the home version? Our business is moderately technical, and the idea of having acronyms and jargon seems very useful from an ease-of-use standpoint, but I want to make sure it would be worth the investment. Thanks in advance!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The hospitals I've been in still use Dragon. It's still pretty much the standard. I don't know what the requirements are but for a business you should be able to get a product representative to come give you a demonstration and trial.

My only experience is with medical dictation and I will fully admit that the way people talk in healthcare when dictating sounds excessively enunciated and void of accent because they want to talk quickly and be sure it understands. Probably just a workplace cultural thing from when dictating was just leaving a voicemail for someone else to decipher.

dispatch.o on
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    The hospitals I've been in still use Dragon. It's still pretty much the standard. I don't know what the requirements are but for a business you should be able to get a product representative to come give you a demonstration and trial.

My only experience is with medical dictation and I will fully admit that the way people talk in healthcare when dictating sounds excessively enunciated and void of accent because they want to talk quickly and be sure it understands. Probably just a workplace cultural thing from when dictating was just leaving a voicemail for someone else to decipher.

We're an auto repair garage, so loooots of technical speak and acronyms are common... Small city and small business though, so I doubt anyone would come down to show us the ropes. Obviously within the hospital you'd be using the "not home version", which is what I'm assuming I'll be wanting. Thanks for the response!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    dispatch.o wrote: »

We're an auto repair garage, so loooots of technical speak and acronyms are common... Small city and small business though, so I doubt anyone would come down to show us the ropes. Obviously within the hospital you'd be using the "not home version", which is what I'm assuming I'll be wanting. Thanks for the response!

You'd be surprised. Vendors are like car salesman. If they even think they might get a sale they'll at least talk to you on the phone.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Interesting, I'll leave them a sniff of blood in the water... The "Contact Us" form.

Edit: Now I feel like an old, I cannot find a "Would you like to know more?" form that usually is all over sites like this... I can either buy it, or apparently call their customer support line. Jeeze.

BouwsT on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Try Google translates transcribe feature, Google has great speech algos. Dragon is also great.