As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Schedule announcements for PAX West, Personal Concerns and Recent Incidence

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2020
    Jeffsta wrote: »
    That will be dependent on official announcements from now on. If I say end of subject I fucking mean it, so unless and until we hear otherwise from an official PAX statement then please consider this matter settled and move on to something else.
    So, you may have started this thread, but this is a forum that you do not own, and therefore you do not control the thread or other posters. If you consider the matter resolved, you do not need to continue coming here to participate in this thread. Your desires for this particular discussion about PAX West to end are not relevant to other people continuing to discuss it on this discussion forum about PAX West.

If it's a notifications problem, you can change your notification settings in your profile.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    So, you may have started this thread, but this is a forum that you do not own, and therefore you do not control the thread or other posters.
    Ah yes, IIRC only the mighty Geth has the power to close threads (though occasionally by Zerzhul's command?) From whence derives this terrifying power – Infinity Stones? Mako energy? An uncanny knack for natural 20s? Vast amounts of Bells acquired in the Stalk market? We may never know.
    may you give Tom Nook a run for his money, and may Sephiroth stand defeated in your wake.
    Yes, yes. :)

• Options
    With this unfortunate turn of events (and not to mention all of the mandatory two-week delays for those who would go ahead of me) I am sadly not going to be able to make the journey until at least 2022 (and even that is somewhere between exaggeration and conservative estimation).
    Sorry to hear that Jeffsta! I too know the value of paid income so that one (or more) might continue to enjoy the necessities of continued existence such as eating food, having a place to live, and attending PAX. I hope that lucrative quests may be found and completed sooner rather than later as the world slowly recovers from this bizarre pause.

And for all of us I hope that we can manage to make the best of it by attempting to enjoy some time with whoever we might be trapped at home with – be that friends, family, or a massive backlog of Steam and PSN games. And I hope we will see you at PAX whenever it (and you) may return.

• Options
    Personally, I'm not sure what I will do yet if West does happen. I missed it in 2019 (for the first time in a LONG time), and was hoping to return this year... but I may choose to not go, out of caution, even if things are "mostly back to normal" by then (whatever that means).

• Options
    solomon123solomon123 Registered User regular
    If I say end of subject I fucking mean it

Homie be actin like Robert Khoo up in this biz

xg81x9uysw01.png
  • Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    Tokyo Game Show just got cancelled. That was going to be in late September (obviously after PAX West).

• Options
    Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    That will be dependent on official announcements from now on. If I say end of subject I fucking mean it

thmnPo.gif

Nfan10039 on
    ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • Options
    JeffstaJeffsta Registered User regular
    @Pavio I said enough was enough on this subject, and your unwanted comment that I didn't ask for also happens to be why I said "unless we hear otherwise". However I do agree with you which is why I consider this matter settled. I will also not be not repeatedly breaking my decision to not respond further so I'm asking all of you to respect my decision to end discussion. And as a precaution I will inform the mods that the status of this discussion is complete and resolved.

• Options
    XalaraXalara Registered User regular
    Jeffsta, when you post in a public forum, the thread isn't yours to control, only the mods can do that. Sometimes threads organically evolve beyond the initial query as people converse, which is what's happening here. Plus it probably helps for people to have a single topic to discuss what's going on.

In on topic news, Governor Inslee released a phased plan for getting back to normal. Conventions would be phase four, we're currently in phase one. There's at least three weeks between each phase so we will see where things go but I'm not hopeful.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I will also not be not repeatedly breaking my decision to not respond further

Are you sure about that?

• Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    @Pavio I said enough was enough on this subject, and your unwanted comment that I didn't ask for also happens to be why I said "unless we hear otherwise". However I do agree with you which is why I consider this matter settled. I will also not be not repeatedly breaking my decision to not respond further so I'm asking all of you to respect my decision to end discussion. And as a precaution I will inform the mods that the status of this discussion is complete and resolved.

It's cool--you don't have to participate further but you're welcome to--others might have more to say on the subject depending on how this whole situation develops, I really don't know. You can let mods know (there are 2 on this thread), it's all good.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    JeffstaJeffsta Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    @Pavio That's exactly why I amended the start of the discussion for everyone to begin their deferral to official statements instead of discussing further, as that's literally the only way to know for sure at this point.

@Xalara That's why I put a report on the discussion for what may be a thousand times now.

Everyone else: I am well aware of how such evolution of a particular discussion can happen, and not always as intended. At one point I was attempting to start a conversation in another forum with regard for how their respective game development plans would be affected by the Covid19 situation, and needless to say it was twisted straight out of its context which forced me to halt further discussion and inform the mods of what happened. Hopefully I will never have to do something like that again.

Jeffsta on
  • Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    For those deeply confused, PAX West is still occurring as scheduled, and you can go to the official PAX site or pax on Twitter for updates on the situation as they arise.

It is also recommended that your travel arrangements include robust refund options. Losing hundreds of dollars because West suddenly got cancelled is not fun!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Since it was apparently not clear by the repeated moderator posts in this discussion thread, I will also clearly state my moderator opinion: This discussion will remain open for the time being because it is still a relevant topic for many people.

Anyone who does not wish to continue participating in this discussion can safely do that by choosing to not participate.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    bold text

• Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I knew I could count on the PA forums for some entertainment :)

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    DaPaladinDaPaladin Registered User regular
    In respect to open discussion, I too am struggling with whether or not to attend. I skipped last year to go to PAX South, which was fine, but I was really looking forward to West this year. The real question for me is what PAX might look like in this new reality?

I think I'm not going to get tickets right away, but then pick some up if it actually does happen for a day or two. Limit my time there and not over commit. Then again I'm only a hour and half from Seattle, so its less of an investment for me. I total get the conundrum though, there is some advanced social math each one of us has to work through to decide if and when we make the investment in PAX West 2020.

jparp8146qaj.png
  • Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Man it's been a minute for me and the forums, but it bums me out given the circumstances.

DaPaladin you are definitely right to wonder what pax will be. Lots of vendors have had to cancel their appearances in earlier cons and some have just decided to call the year a wash. I think Microsoft has cancelled all of their planned outings and it appears that the Indie Megabooth has gone on hiatus until 2021.

Of course that could still leave (or even make room for) other players to be present at the show, but it certainly won't be the same as years past. I think in the (unlikely) event that the show goes on, it will be a bit more intimate, less packed and full of precautions. Not to mean it will be terrible, just not like it was pre-pandemic.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I'm personally thinking about what it will feel like in the expo hall, which is usually a sweaty affair, wearing a mask the whole time. Because it will likely be required.

I mean I'm sure cosplayers are chuckling at that, since they deal with worse, but still for us normies that's gonna be a much shittier experience.

Then add all the exhibitors that will likely give it a pass, and it gets tougher to be excited about it. Especially now that it requires airfare and lodging for me.

• Options
    I could see them using the same space and spreading things out honestly. Assuming it's allowed at all, I could see fewer exhibitors but the extra space could help it be as unpacked and distant as possible at least...

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    With how cheap flights are, maybe I keep my streak going by just coming into town grabbing some Top Pot Doughnuts, a Biscuit Bitch cheesy bowl, and some Bok a Bok chicken tendies then call it a day and go back home.

Marino on
  • Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    While I won't be attending PAX West (I live on the wrong coast). I am interested to see what they decide. What I wonder is whether they will still offer some content virtually if the event cannot go off as planned. Obviously we would lose some things like the Expo Hall and Tabletop and I hope that the event can go as planned but something to think about.

Maybe they stream some of the panel ideas if the people can get together in some way, maybe we get a version of Acq Inc even if it's not the traditional on stage game. Will be interesting to see.

• Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah some virtual Acquisitions Inc would be awesome if the con fails to happen.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    Speaking of recent incidents... this is the cheesecake factory next to the WSCC. Which for some reason just feels like the PAX Cheesecake Factory to me (my group has had a tradition of going there once right after expo closes after every PAX).5qze2796tzwo.png

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    We are now beyond the latest point PAX West badges have ever gone on sale (June 8, 2017).

Also, Australia still hasn't gone on sale either (on sale March/April the last 3 years) and neither has Unplugged (on sale in May the last 3 years).

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Marino wrote: »
    We are now beyond the latest point PAX West badges have ever gone on sale (June 8, 2017).

Also, Australia still hasn't gone on sale either (on sale March/April the last 3 years) and neither has Unplugged (on sale in May the last 3 years).

Kinda. While PAX West badges have never gone on sale after June 8th, if you measure in days until PAX we aren't at the record yet.
    In 2017 when badges went on sale that was 85 days before PAX. Since PAX 2020 is set to be the latest since 2009, we are only 87 days out now. So by that metric, this year will be tied for latest on Thursday June 11.
    wg3flr6nbm91.png

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Dev also usually goes on sale before West (and usually includes an option to buy tickets for West) but dev.paxsite.com is still showing the info from last year; has there been any word on whether Dev is canceled?

every day's great on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Since PAX 2020 is set to be the latest since 2009, we are only 87 days out now. So by that metric, this year will be tied for latest on Thursday June 11.
    Well, we have passed that point, and no word on Dev yet either.

(Also note that Square Enix, a major exhibitor every year I have attended, has canceled the Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival which was planned for November; I wouldn't expect to see them at a PAX West in September of this year at least. It seems that pretty much every large convention, conference, or festival is canceled for the rest of 2020.)

every day's great on
  • Options
    BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    I would also expect not to see Microsoft, or Sony, or Nintendo, and without them, and their money, I really do not think there is much of a chance for a PAX this year.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I could really use a PAX in my life soon, so I hope West continues as planned. Honestly, even if that means it's a more subdued event without many of the heavy hitters, trips to Seattle are always amazing, and perhaps if there's reduced costs to entice vendors, we may see new companies put their quarter in the slot. Obviously there's a whole lot that goes into this, and I'd imagine there are intense negotiations occurring on all sides of this event to determine if it's feasible. I think from a safety standpoint, East was very well-handled, with sanitizer everywhere and booths wiping down all the things between every demo. I think if you layer that with perhaps a mask requirement (maybe they even provide one with your badge?), temperature checks in the security line, and a more spacious floor plan in general, I'd feel secure enough to attend.

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Bluemeane wrote: »
    I would also expect not to see Microsoft, or Sony, or Nintendo, and without them, and their money, I really do not think there is much of a chance for a PAX this year.
    The timing is too bad since we are looking at a new console generation!
    Would definitely have been exciting to play some games on the the PS5 and Xbox Series X.
    And Bravely Default II on the Switch. ;-)

I could almost imagine Microsoft and Nintendo showing up since they are semi-local to PAX West. (I could also imagine WotC returning eventually somehow...) But it doesn't look good at the moment.

Without E3 and PAX, I could imagine Sony having another PlayStation Experience (PSX) someday, but probably not in 2020.

every day's great on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I could almost imagine Microsoft and Nintendo showing up since they are semi-local to PAX West.

I don't think distance is the main issue here. These companies aren't going to want to risk their employee's health regardless of where they're from.

Marino on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Way wrong thread.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I could almost imagine Microsoft and Nintendo showing up since they are semi-local to PAX West.

I don't think distance is the main issue here. These companies aren't going to want to risk their employee's health regardless of where they're from.
    Yep, I agree completely with you. Perhaps the "almost imagine" part and "it doesn't look good" parts of my post weren't clear? The basically impossible scenario I could "almost imagine" would be something like this: 1) Washington (or more specifically the Seattle area) reopens completely and the public health dept. declares huge events to be safe with certain precautions 2) A huge event like PAX actually happens in Seattle 3) Microsoft and Nintendo of America (which are both located in Redmond, some 15 miles from Seattle) return to business as usual and decide to attend PAX. But (2) and (3) depend on (1), which I can't imagine actually happening in time for a September PAX.

every day's great on
  • Options
    The ONLY reason I could see them trying to do a PAX would be to be able to say 'PAX west has been going on for X amount of years' every year. And I mean IF it does happy, it would really just be like maybe one small half a floor? It wouldn't be a PAX would it? How would you have theater events with only 50 people in a room (What the current Phase 2 levels allow for)? Or even on the show floor with that many people? And then add to it that you would only be selling like 1/10 of the normal tickets, so right there you would have a horrible time even getting tickets.

I honestly say they should just skip this year. If they can't do PAX as it should be people (Myself included) will be disappointed, and sad because it wouldn't feel like the 'home' we all have come to expect it to be. If that is because we don't have the grand feeling we normally have when we walk in, or the same experience, or (most likely) because we don't see all of our friends, and 'family' we usually see because of the fact there are way less tickets being sold, or because people can't travel because of economic reasons, health reasons, or lock-down reason.

Just remember years past, and look forward to next years better than ever 'PAX returns'!

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• Options
    edited June 2020
    zeale wrote: »
    I think from a safety standpoint, East was very well-handled, with sanitizer everywhere and booths wiping down all the things between every demo. I think if you layer that with perhaps a mask requirement (maybe they even provide one with your badge?), temperature checks in the security line, and a more spacious floor plan in general, I'd feel secure enough to attend.

The issues in Washington is that Seattle(King county) is still in Phase 1, and if they are SUPER DUPER lucky they will be in Phase 3 by the time PAX gets here, and it doesn't allow groups larger 50 people in any one place. That means no more than 50 people in a group anywhere, in a line, or close to each other, on a floor, in a room, or on a show floor. And that is IF they get to Phase 3. There is a good chance they will be in Phase 2 by that time, and limited to groups of 5, or less.

So it just isn't even possible to have any kind of PAX at all.

Bluemeane on
    jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• Options
    The ONLY reason I could see them trying to do a PAX would be to be able to say 'PAX west has been going on for X amount of years' every year.

Inviting thousands of people from all over the world in the midst of a pandemic just to keep a streak going would be pretty crazy.

• Options
    The ONLY reason I could see them trying to do a PAX would be to be able to say 'PAX west has been going on for X amount of years' every year.

Inviting thousands of people from all over the world in the midst of a pandemic just to keep a streak going would be pretty crazy.

I agree completely. But to say the above message all they really need is a booth on a corner at the convention lol. Then they could say it was there in 2020 ;)

But in all seriousness, they need to just come out, and say it is canceled, or they are doing some kind of virtual event and move on, and start planning something even more awesome next year to make up for it. Maybe two west coast shows!

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• Options
This discussion has been closed.