As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Bread] Thread! A Thread all about Bread!

webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the InternetRegistered User regular
edited May 2020 in Social Entropy++
Hey so This thread is about bread; the recipes, techniques and most importantly the results! I'll put more info up here this evening but feel free to tag me with recipes and I'll add them to the OP.

My contribution is Bacon Sour Dough Bread. It is amazing, and what I'm currently making right now. Click the picture (from the recipe) to check it out!

ba6leose9tgp.jpg

Bread Making Videos
I like this channel cos he addresses basically every question I think of

Tynnan wrote: »

Do you have flour and water and salt and yeast?

If so, do this:

Video
The dough is wet and sticky, and you'll end up scraping a lot of it off your hands (tip: use dry flour to scour your hands of wet dough). But it makes a super easy, super lovely loaf. If you don't have a dutch oven (I don't), you can use a cast iron pan with another pan in the oven to splash water and create steam. Just be sure to use distilled water for that, or make sure to clean off the salt deposits right away from the steamer pan.

Cello wrote: »
Excited to say this recipe really turned out!! The bread tastes like bread and not very sour cake, and it rounded up really nicely! Fifth time's the charm, I guess! And I have two loaves so that should last me at least a day.

The recipe I followed was this one:

Video
The sourdough taste is light but present; I'm sure it'll come through more once it has cooled for longer (after an hour of waiting we couldn't resist anymore). Excited to finally stop turning out bread frisbees and start baking real bread!

Some Gluten Free Recipes!
SilverWind wrote: »

This was my go-to recipe for years when Wyborn thought gluten was an issue. You can't really shape the dough in the same way (you have to just kinda prod/coax it into the rough shape) and you definitely need to weigh all the flours, so get a scale. The outside is nice and crusty and the insides nice and fluffy.

Baguettes
Ingredients
[]316 g white rice flour
[]125 g tapioca flour
[]1 rounded tablespoon xanthan gum
[]1.5 teaspoons salt
[]2 tablespoons sugar
[]1.5 cups hot water (110 F - ~40 seconds)
[]2 tablespoons yeast
[]30 g melted butter (2 tablespoons)
[]4 egg whites, beaten slightly
[]1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
[]some melted butter for brushing

Directions
1. In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, place flours, xanthan gum and salt. Blend with mixer on low.
2. In a small bowl dissolve the sugar in the water, and add yeast.
3. Wait until the mixture foams slightly, then blend into the dry ingredients.
4. Add the butter, egg whites, and vinegar. Beat on high for 3 minutes.
5. To form loaves, spoon dough onto greased and cornmeal-dusted cookie sheets in two long French-loaf shapes or spoon into special French-bread pans.
6. Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 20 to 25 minutes.
7. Slash diagonally every few inches. Brush with melted butter.
8. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
9. Remove from pan to cool.

I do recommend getting a baguette pan as it bakes much more nicely that way

edit: Oh, and I had noted down a sandwich bread recipe, though I don't recall using it too many times, I generally didn't record things if they weren't at least half decent

Sandwich Bread
Ingredients

[]420 g flour mix
[]105 g brown rice flour
[]130 g white rice flour
[]75 g tapioca flour
[]105 g sweet glutinous rice flour
[]5 g xanthan gum
[]2 tsp xanthan gum (this is in addition to the xanthan gum in the flour mix)
[]4 tsp baking powder
[]1 tsp salt
[]4 tablespoons granulated sugar
[]2 tablespoons active dry yeast
[]1 1/2 cups warm milk (about 110 degrees F)
[]2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
[]1/4 cup olive oil or butter
[]2 extra large eggs, room temperature

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Oil and flour a 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan.
3. Place warm milk into a small bowl. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of sugar until dissolved. Whisk in yeast until dissolved. Set aside to proof.
4. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, and the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar.
5. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, place eggs, olive oil / butter, and vinegar. Beat for a few seconds to combine. Add the yeast mixture. Beat a few seconds more to combine. Add the flour mixture. Beat on medium high for 3 minutes.
6. Scrape mixture into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.
7. Heat wet washcloth in microwave. Then, place loaf pan into microwave, resting hot dishcloth on top of loaf pan, and closing the microwave door.
8. Let dough rise until just over the pan.
9. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Then carefully turn out onto rack to cool completely.

This second recipe was a tweaked version of this - not sure where the first one came from

Steam ID: Webguy20
Origin ID: Discgolfer27
Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
webguy20 on

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    kings-hawaiian-sweet-rolls-24-pack.png

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Cereal Killers

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Dough Dimmadough? Owner of the Dimmsdale Dimmadough?

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Yeastenders

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Well...

They aren't the prettiest loaves, but they smell amazing and got decent rise. Now the painful wait for them to cool down so I can cut into them and do a taste test.

pj43plrgqs4i.jpg

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I haven't been baking bread because I cannot find flour for the life of me! Boo!

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I haven't been baking bread because I cannot find flour for the life of me! Boo!

Check your bodegas!

I sliced into my loaf. Is good. The olives sank a bit, which isn't surprising given how wet the dough was. I incorporated them after the first, overnight proof and folded them in, so they were probably clustered from that too. It turned out a bit saltier than I intended, which was also probably from the olives. Delicious, though.

keg039d83fd5.jpg

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    I think, finally, this sourdough might turn out

The folds had a lot of tension and I am forming boules right now that just feel right

They're bubbly, they're able to be handled, they're not sticking to the counter much, they expanded well enough

Gonna fridge proof as called for in the recipe so we'll see how they do in the morning!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I think, finally, this sourdough might turn out

The folds had a lot of tension and I am forming boules right now that just feel right

They're bubbly, they're able to be handled, they're not sticking to the counter much, they expanded well enough

Gonna fridge proof as called for in the recipe so we'll see how they do in the morning!

Yea after a few loaves you definitely get a sense of how the bread is based on feel. I knew last night I should have added a touch more flour, but I figured I was just fine. I should have listened to myself.

I can't wait to see your results!

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I wanna make bread but its crazy intimidating

edited May 2020
    Bucketman wrote: »

If so, do this:
    https://youtu.be/uWbl3Sr2y1Y

The dough is wet and sticky, and you'll end up scraping a lot of it off your hands (tip: use dry flour to scour your hands of wet dough). But it makes a super easy, super lovely loaf. If you don't have a dutch oven (I don't), you can use a cast iron pan with another pan in the oven to splash water and create steam. Just be sure to use distilled water for that, or make sure to clean off the salt deposits right away from the steamer pan.

Tynnan on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    My wife makes bread in a Dutch oven
    d0ajt3n8gcha.jpg

j4m0pnht9jtw.jpg

I'm spoiled as crap.

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    i made my first sourdough a couple weeks ago and it came out mostly okay except there was a pretty big cavity in the top like 3rd of the loaf so slices weren't good for like sandwiches but it still tasted great

my starter's still alive in the fridge on weekly feedings so i'm going to try again when i can restock on bread flour and maybe get some whole wheat flour

my loaf pan arrived so i am going to try making standard white bread tomorrow and will report back

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

I should make bread next week

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah next week I finished school FOREVER, and I think to celebrate I'm finally going to read Flour, Water. Salt. Yeast cover to cover and make some bread ass bread

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

If so, do this:

Can confirm. I did this exact recipe this evening. Proofed it overnight for about 13 hours, and did the fold-onto-paper-cover-under-a-floured-towel for another 4. I also didn't have a dutch oven so I used my 14" cast iron pizza pan, and put an 8x8 pan nearly full of water in the oven under that during the preheat and baking session at 450 so it was constantly steaming the oven the whole time. The recipe recommends baking for 45minutes to an hour, but I found this caused my crust to be suuuuuper hard and crunchy. Not terrible, but I pulled mine out at 45 minutes and the crust definitely was on the armored variety. Crumb came out superb. Pliable, full of holes and steamy with a nice sour tang from the fermentation. I'm already proofing another batch as we speak, with this time loading up olives, rosemary and dried roasted garlic incorporated into the loaf. I'm going to try baking it for 35-40 minutes this time to see if the crust isn't as crunchy and see how it comes out tomorrow.

Pics of the results:

zcfnrm5yh3e0.png

9yx0nwn6ghd3.png

I've been baking my no-knead loaves at 450 for 35 minutes with steam and I'm really happy with the results. The crust is a little crispy but not really thick at all. I could probably go to 40 or 45 minutes without trouble.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    So a few weeks ago I got a pullman loaf pan
    #pipe wrote: »
    Anyway here's a piece of bread making kit that just arrived today I'm super excited to use

lnnrxbb64a6e.jpg

Here is the first loaf out of it
    #pipe wrote: »
    mz206s8gl4ia.jpg
    3da6616pfiqm.jpg

It was a Japanese milk bread recipe. Fresh and hot out of the pan it was delicious, but after a day it settled to become super dense and stodgy and not particularly good to eat. I think my main problem is that the recipe was for a slightly larger pan and because it's enclosed it couldn't dome and release any pressure. It did also overproof on the 2nd proof but I don't think that was the issue.

I'm aiming for real classic wonderbread style sandwich bread but with only 3 or 4 ingredients. It's gonna take some tweaking.

Also I found a recipe for sourdough pullman bread which I am going to try as soon as our baker friend delivers a starter she's nurturing for us. The recipe is amazing because it comes with a little applet on the page where you enter the measurements of your pan and it uses the recipe's ratio to tell you exactly how much of each ingredient you need for your specific pan.

#pipe on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    zcoq5go2cbdp.jpg

This is my second loaf. I have yet to put the starter in the fridge and it's been getting daily feedings for about three weeks.

I'm afraid of putting it on the fridge because then I won't see it and I'll forget it and it will die.

I think it takes, like, a long power outage to kill starter culture in a fridge. I've heard stories of people leaving it unfed in the fridge for as long as it takes a fridge to die, and them finally realizing it was stuck back there.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    dang I wanna just like, get me a big crusty loaf of bread and some butter and go to town. I wouldn't even slice the bread, I'd just tear chunks off like a peasant

ya'll ever have cheese bread? 'course ya have. I love a cheese bread toasted up real good.

rye
    pumpernickel
    challah
    pretzel
    bagels
    cinnamon raisin
    pepperoni
    banananana

I'm not much of a baker, but if you need somebody to eat a bread, hmu

If so, do this:

Can confirm. I did this exact recipe this evening. Proofed it overnight for about 13 hours, and did the fold-onto-paper-cover-under-a-floured-towel for another 4. I also didn't have a dutch oven so I used my 14" cast iron pizza pan, and put an 8x8 pan nearly full of water in the oven under that during the preheat and baking session at 450 so it was constantly steaming the oven the whole time. The recipe recommends baking for 45minutes to an hour, but I found this caused my crust to be suuuuuper hard and crunchy. Not terrible, but I pulled mine out at 45 minutes and the crust definitely was on the armored variety. Crumb came out superb. Pliable, full of holes and steamy with a nice sour tang from the fermentation. I'm already proofing another batch as we speak, with this time loading up olives, rosemary and dried roasted garlic incorporated into the loaf. I'm going to try baking it for 35-40 minutes this time to see if the crust isn't as crunchy and see how it comes out tomorrow.

Pics of the results:

zcfnrm5yh3e0.png

9yx0nwn6ghd3.png

Let the bread sit covered overnight. The crust will usually soften up.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    someone say bread

heard we were talking about bread in here

8fg105mes5z3.jpg

who would you say... owns this bread

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    This week's sourdough is definitely good. But I'm missing the tactile feeling of kneading my bread. So I might make Challah soon.

Although I did find the King Arthur Flour recipe for a fruit bread using the sourdough discard. But it calls for potato flakes. And I have none.

But KAF also have a recipe for Jewish Rye bread and I'm suuuuuuuper curious to try that.

I need to branch out with my bread. I mostly just bake sourdough.

BREAD THREAD

I removed the lid of the Dutch Oven to see

WE HAVE OVEN SPRING

Steam
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Petition to merge the bread and the beard threads

Platy wrote: »
    Petition to merge the bread and the beard threads

This is SE++, you do you buddy.

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    first attempt at sandwich bread, i used this king arthur recipe: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-sandwich-bread-recipe

the top kind of deflated during the cooking process:
    ntapah9o7j29.png

i may have taken it out too early even though i hit the top end of the recipe time and the middle registered 190 degrees:
    s7rwmvc98r6y.png
    qjsfuarw0lb7.png

the top crust is thin and crispy but the rest of the loaf is pretty soft

it tastes good, and makes a pretty good grilled cheese:
    8munqq2qft96.png

so far so good, we'll see how it stands up to other types of sandwiches

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

Hey so I looked at making my own rye bread with caraway seeds and man are these not cheap ingredients compared to just regular ol' bread.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Hey so I looked at making my own rye bread with caraway seeds and man are these not cheap ingredients compared to just regular ol' bread.

caraway seeds are bullshit anyway

Why's that?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Why's that?

oh I just don't like them, and the US is the only place I've lived where they're habitually included in rye.

I mean maybe they trash talked your mother or something though.

Excited to say this recipe really turned out!! The bread tastes like bread and not very sour cake, and it rounded up really nicely! Fifth time's the charm, I guess! And I have two loaves so that should last me at least a day.
    8l0yjvybxd5o.jpeg

bi9ksqi48jwp.jpeg

1bcarjgjs44a.jpeg

u38pk78xte57.jpeg

The sourdough taste is light but present; I'm sure it'll come through more once it has cooled for longer (after an hour of waiting we couldn't resist anymore). Excited to finally stop turning out bread frisbees and start baking real bread!

Steam
    8l0yjvybxd5o.jpeg

bi9ksqi48jwp.jpeg

1bcarjgjs44a.jpeg

u38pk78xte57.jpeg

Time to make some french toast!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Bread attempt number 5

5l04sifd4eby.jpg

7apulniy7nl8.jpg

It stuck to the tray so I lost the bottom crust, but other than that it's probably as good as I'm gonna make it. Hooray!

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Baps with egg and sausage are nice

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    @Brovid Hasselsmof I saw this in the other thread over yonder but you mentioned having good volume in your dough after your first prove and then the bread deflating after you "do stuff to it," which I assume is shaping the loaf? Are you letting it rise again after you proof it and shape it?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere for you, the bread is in every thread now, but a second rise before baking is pretty key to having good texture in the final product.