As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dark Knight

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Were they finished shooting?

Totally a valid question.
    Yeah, it makes me feel horribly selfish, but given how hyped I was for that movie (especially given the trailer) my first thought also was along the lines of "I hope the movie still comes out ok".

I bet you that half the people who heard the news thought the exact same thing. It's hardly an unusual thing to come to mind. And hell, this is the thread about that same movie. Of course people will be wondering.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man that's horrible. Dude was a seriously up and coming actor.

It's too bad that this is going to be his last role. I hope it does him justice.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    They'll probably get a replacement for #3.

Hoz on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wonder if it's dangerous to get inside the Joker's head so well.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    Keith was a professional. He wouldn't have offed himself unless the shooting was done.

Nice to see that in your hurry to be an unsympathetic dick, you failed to even get the guys name right. And they haven't released a cause of death... nice conclusion jumping.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    Keith was a professional. He wouldn't have offed himself unless the shooting was done.

Nice to see that in your hurry to be an unsympathetic dick, you failed to even get the guys name right. And they haven't released a cause of death... nice conclusion jumping.
    No problem, sport.

Hoz on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    He was supposed to figure prominently in #3 too wasn't he? It was supposed to be all about The Joker's trial or something.
    That's the rumours I heard, but I don't think I've seen an official source for it.

But if it's true, then it sucks. They're either going to have to scrap their plans for #3 entirely and start from scratch, which is going to be a problem given that I expect The Dark Knight is setup to lead to #3, so there's going to be tons of loose ends and inconsistencies... or cast another actor to replace Ledger, which is going to be a problem because where can you find someone that looks a lot like him and can perfectly mimic his Joker act?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    He was supposed to figure prominently in #3 too wasn't he? It was supposed to be all about The Joker's trial or something.
    That's the rumours I heard, but I don't think I've seen an official source for it.

But if it's true, then it sucks. They're either going to have to scrap their plans for #3 entirely and start from scratch, which is going to be a problem given that I expect The Dark Knight is setup to lead to #3, so there's going to be tons of loose ends and inconsistencies... or cast another actor to replace Ledger, which is going to be a problem because where can you find someone that looks a lot like him and can perfectly mimic his Joker act?

Well the joker does have a lot of make up.

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I wonder if it's dangerous to get inside the Joker's head so well.

+ drug problem + divorce = not a good situation :(

Medopine on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    They could always go back to Jack Nicholson for #3.

Holy shit crazy idea here! Remember how pissed off Nicholson was that they didn't ask him to play the Joker again? He had Heath Ledger killed. And then it was made to look like an overdose.

Oh yeah. You're feelin' it.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If Jack Nicholson was anywhere near New York, I think we have our prime suspect.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Ghost, I don't care about the guy but still, thatts pretty dickish. I mean he was still a human and he was bringing one of the best loved villains in history to life. This is a tradgedy on many levels, for his family, for cinema and just for himself. He seemed so together.

I'm fairly sick of the relatively normal people dying early while people like Pete Doherty linger on like a cancer.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I think the rumor comes from this: http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=2978
    Writer David Goyer talks about possible sequels and says (spoilers ahead), "The next one would have Batman enlisting the aid of Gordon and [Harvey] Dent [aka Two-Face] in bringing down the Joker... but not killing him, which is a mistake they made in the first one." The article then says that "In the third, the Joker would go on trial, scarring Dent in the process."

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ghost, I don't care about the guy but still, thatts pretty dickish. I mean he was still a human and he was bringing one of the best loved villains in history to life. This is a tradgedy on many levels, for his family, for cinema and just for himself. He seemed so together.

I'm fairly sick of the relatively normal people dying early while people like Pete Doherty linger on like a cancer.

Whoa, wait, what? Did I insult Heath in any way? Maybe I made light of the situation. Maybe my attempt at humor was in poor taste. But I guarantee you there will be way more offensive jokes to follow on a forum like this. It's a complete tragedy, I agree. But excuse me for trying to lighten things up a bit.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man, this is just Brandon Lee all over again.

Awesome young actor gives an awesome, creepy performance in a comic book movie wearing white face paint and exaggerated lips, then dies prematurely and breaks my goddamn heart.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Invisible wrote: »

I think the rumor comes from this: http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=2978
    Writer David Goyer talks about possible sequels and says
    , "The next one would have Batman enlisting the aid of Gordon and [Harvey] Dent [aka Two-Face] in bringing down the Joker... but not killing him, which is a mistake they made in the first one." The article then says that "In the third, the Joker would go on trial, scarring Dent in the process."
    First of all, we have spoiler tags, you know.

And second, someone earlier in the thread posted another spoiler to the effect that:
    Dent already became Two-Face by the end of the current movie. So that would contradict your source that Dent becomes Two-Face in the third.

I don't really know who to believe, and anyway never put too much stock in website rumours.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Man, this is just Brandon Lee all over again.

Awesome young actor gives an awesome, creepy performance in a comic book movie wearing white face paint and exaggerated lips, then dies prematurely and breaks my goddamn heart.

GAF post.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't believe it.

bychance on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Don't add to the tragedy by linking The Crow to The Dark Knight.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Didn't Brandon Lee die on the Crow? They shot him in the head or something?

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008

I thought stage lights fell on him.

Medopine on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dude, Heath Ledger was in a position to be the next Alan Rickman.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I forget exactly how he died, but I'm pretty sure it was some accident on the set.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

I thought stage lights fell on him.

A gun that was supposed to be filled with blanks had a fragment of a real bullet in it, I think. The fragment got him in the gut and tore him up pretty good. At least that's what I remember hearing.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Brandon Lee died I think because they were shooting with blanks and they accidently shot with a bullet that wasn't a blank and killed him.

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    He was accidentally shot during a scene. It was a malfunction with the blanks they used. Part of one got caught in the barrel and fired at him, or something. Wiki tells about it.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The propmaster screwed up and they used blanks (or something stronger than blanks) in a gun. Either that or something was lodged in the gun. Eitherway it was partially the propmaster's bad, and partially the director's fault. You should never have anything that resembles a gun pointed at an actor on a movie set. Forced perspective is what it's all about.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Brandon Lee was shot with a blank cartridge. Complete accident. Sucks though.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Especially considering that many people were saying Heath's Joker looked like The Crow..

God. I keep waiting for The Joker to pop out of no where and say SURPRISE!

but its just not going to happen. I was skeptical at first because I first saw it on page 6 (NYP) but celebrity rumors aren't reported in respectable outlets like The New York Time, CNN, etc.

bychance on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. And yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you cannot conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, or five times more? Perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless.

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    This is a sad thing.

Its also going to drastically have an impact on the Batman films. They can't exactly do any more Joker themed viral stuff. Not even sure they could ethically use Joker posters to advertise the film.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    urbmanurbman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    bychance wrote: »

Thats exactly what I am waiting to happen.

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    xraydog wrote: »
    I bet he overdosed on something.

The NYT report says a bottle of pills was found next to him, though I'm sure the details will be sketchy for the next couple hours/days

"Sleeping pills" so god knows what. Looks like suicide to me.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    urbman wrote: »
    bychance wrote: »

Thats exactly what I am waiting to happen.

Dude this is heath ledger not fucking andy kaufmann.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    who the fuck was andy kaufmann?

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    xraydog wrote: »
    I bet he overdosed on something.

The NYT report says a bottle of pills was found next to him, though I'm sure the details will be sketchy for the next couple hours/days

"Sleeping pills" so god knows what. Looks like suicide to me.
    He apparently had been having problems sleeping since he starting playing the Joker. I'm not saying that there's a link between his death and him playing the Joker but it's possible.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Rufus_ShinraRufus_Shinra Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Use Google much?

edit: that was a bit harsh, he was a comedian that ended up going half crazy and died of cancer. The movie "Man on the Moon" starring Jim Carrey is about him.

Rufus_Shinra on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    He apparently had been having problems sleeping since he starting playing the Joker.
    According to who?

Hoz on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2008
    :facepalm:

Just wiki him, or watch Man on he Moon, or something.

Great character / performance comedian... this would be right up his alley.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    He was found naked, waiting for an appointment with a masseuse. Seems like an accident more than a well-thought out suicide.

emnmnme on
This discussion has been closed.