As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dark Knight

• Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I never understood that Man on the Moon movie, what IS the point of calling the movie Man on the Moon if it has nothing to do with the moon? IS andy kaufmann alive? Or is he really dead?

Deviant Hands on
  • Rufus_ShinraRufus_Shinra Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    Cloudman wrote: »
    He apparently had been having problems sleeping since he starting playing the Joker.
    According to who?

The New York Times:
    He tends to do that. He is here in London filming the latest episode of the “Batman” franchise, “The Dark Knight.” (Mr. Bale, as it happens, plays Batman; Mr. Ledger plays the Joker.) It is a physically and mentally draining role — his Joker is a “psychopathic, mass-murdering, schizophrenic clown with zero empathy” he said cheerfully — and, as often happens when he throws himself into a part, he is not sleeping much.

“Last week I probably slept an average of two hours a night,” he said. “I couldn’t stop thinking. My body was exhausted, and my mind was still going.” One night he took an Ambien, which failed to work. He took a second one and fell into a stupor, only to wake up an hour later, his mind still racing.

Even as he spoke, Mr. Ledger was hard-pressed to keep still. He got up and poured more coffee. He stepped outside into the courtyard and smoked a cigarette. He shook his hair out from under its hood, put a rubber band around it, took out the rubber band, put on a hat, took off the hat, put the hood back up. He went outside and had another cigarette. Polite and charming, he nonetheless gave off the sense that the last thing he wanted to do was delve deep into himself for public consumption. “It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself,” is how he put it, a little apologetically.

Conducting a tour of the house, which he is renting for a few months, he made wry remarks about the art. One painting depicts a crowd of creatures who appear to be in hell, but who seem determined to extract as much sexual pleasure as they can from their eternity of free time; Mr. Ledger has turned another one around and hung it upside down, to no apparent ill advantage.

An open bag with clothes spilling out lay on the floor of the master bedroom. “I’m kind of addicted to moving,” Mr. Ledger said, perhaps on account of having had to shuttle back and forth after his parents’ divorce, when he was 11. He carries his interests around with him, and his kitchen table was awash in objects: a chess set, assorted books, various empty glasses, items of clothing. Here too was his Joker diary, which he began compiling four months before filming began. It is filled with images and thoughts helpful to the Joker back story, like a list of things the Joker would find funny. (AIDS is one of them.) Mr. Ledger seemed almost embarrassed that the book had been spotted, as if he had been caught trying to get extra credit in school.

He seemed like such an awesome guy.

Rufus_Shinra on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I never understood that Man on the Moon movie, what IS the point of calling the movie Man on the Moon if it has nothing to do with the moon? IS andy kaufmann alive? Or is he really dead?

The song "Man on the Moon" by REM is about Andy Kaufmann. Hence the title of the movie.

Now, why the song was called that? Mainly so it sounds pretty.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    He apparently had been having problems sleeping since he starting playing the Joker.
    According to who?
    NYT.

Apparently James Dean was one of his main influences, according to the article Rufus linked (which coincidentally is the one I was talking about). RIP man.

Clint Eastwood on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I hope playing the Joker didn't have anything to do with this... I mean, I hope he wasn't driven to kill himself because of the role in some way. He was clearly taking the part pretty goddamned seriously.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    :(

This day just can't get any worse.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I hope playing the Joker didn't have anything to do with this... I mean, I hope he wasn't driven to kill himself because of the role in some way. He was clearly taking the part pretty goddamned seriously.
    Wha?

What would we find in the suicide note? "Goddamnit, Batman always wins!"

Hoz on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wha?

What would be find in the suicide note? "Goddamnit, Batman always wins!"
    Playing the joker apparently mentally and physically drained him, or so the interview with him linked on the last page says.

EDIT: They're talking about it on CNN Headline now.

Clint Eastwood on
  • bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    According to who?
    NYT.

Apparently James Dean was one of his main influences, according to the article Rufus linked (which coincidentally is the one I was talking about). RIP man.

ugh...

My week is ruined.

bychance on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A friend just phoned me about this, I thought he was joking. I'm so fucking sad right now :(

Mr Bubbles on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Why so serious?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    That interview said he lost sleep frequently when he threw himself into any of his roles. I don't think it was death by Joker.

Like I said, I think it's the pressure/depression of his divorce, along with possible drug problems.

Medopine on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Why so serious?
    You made me snort like a pig.

Hoz on
    edited January 2008
    Every time I hear people say "OMG I thought this rumor was a joke!" all I can focus on is the word "joke". I don't think I can stomach TDK when it comes out now...

Waiting for Nolan, Bale, etc. to make statements.

Why so serious?

stop that.

bychance on
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    According to who?

The New York Times:
    He tends to do that. He is here in London filming the latest episode of the “Batman” franchise, “The Dark Knight.” (Mr. Bale, as it happens, plays Batman; Mr. Ledger plays the Joker.) It is a physically and mentally draining role — his Joker is a “psychopathic, mass-murdering, schizophrenic clown with zero empathy” he said cheerfully — and, as often happens when he throws himself into a part, he is not sleeping much.

“Last week I probably slept an average of two hours a night,” he said. “I couldn’t stop thinking. My body was exhausted, and my mind was still going.” One night he took an Ambien, which failed to work. He took a second one and fell into a stupor, only to wake up an hour later, his mind still racing.

Even as he spoke, Mr. Ledger was hard-pressed to keep still. He got up and poured more coffee. He stepped outside into the courtyard and smoked a cigarette. He shook his hair out from under its hood, put a rubber band around it, took out the rubber band, put on a hat, took off the hat, put the hood back up. He went outside and had another cigarette. Polite and charming, he nonetheless gave off the sense that the last thing he wanted to do was delve deep into himself for public consumption. “It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself,” is how he put it, a little apologetically.

Conducting a tour of the house, which he is renting for a few months, he made wry remarks about the art. One painting depicts a crowd of creatures who appear to be in hell, but who seem determined to extract as much sexual pleasure as they can from their eternity of free time; Mr. Ledger has turned another one around and hung it upside down, to no apparent ill advantage.

An open bag with clothes spilling out lay on the floor of the master bedroom. “I’m kind of addicted to moving,” Mr. Ledger said, perhaps on account of having had to shuttle back and forth after his parents’ divorce, when he was 11. He carries his interests around with him, and his kitchen table was awash in objects: a chess set, assorted books, various empty glasses, items of clothing. Here too was his Joker diary, which he began compiling four months before filming began. It is filled with images and thoughts helpful to the Joker back story, like a list of things the Joker would find funny. (AIDS is one of them.) Mr. Ledger seemed almost embarrassed that the book had been spotted, as if he had been caught trying to get extra credit in school.

Dude.

Oh shit, this is exactly what the Joker would find funny

I might be crazy, but it seems like he might still be alive.

Ethan Smith on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    According to who?

The New York Times:

Dude.

I keep hoping its gonna turn out that they've mistake some guy for Heath Ledger, but by now his publicist would've relayed such info to the important people.

Assuming that Joker survives this film nad leads into a third, they would have to replace him but, as against him as I was at the start, he looked and sounded the part. I can't imagine anyone else pulling it off with the same character.

DarkWarrior on
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    According to who?

The New York Times:

Dude.

Denial. It really sucks but it would be in such poor taste to fake his death that it isn't even a possibility.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow that fucking sucks. I was concerned when they cast him initially, but after the trailers and all the marketing stuff... he really made it work.

That would be sweet though, if it was like the most twisted viral marketing campaign ever conceived. I mean it's not, obviously, but still. The Joker doesn't know the meaning of poor taste!

Ant000 on
  • Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Vin Diesel as the next joker?

Deviant Hands on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Do we really need another Joker? Is Cillian Murphy even in TDK?

Satan. on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Vin Diesel as the next joker?

i'm pretty sure the joker doesnt live his life a quarter mile at a time

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited January 2008
    Someone on another board had said :
    Who originally was libelous and wrote that pills were scattered all over his room? If its blatantly false, and this Commissioner should know, than they should be held accountable.

and while I agreed, all I could think was God please don't say 'commissioner'...

bychance on
  • Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Do we really need another Joker? Is Cillian Murphy even in TDK?

I think he was tentatively spotted in some of those parking garage production photos with all the batmans etc.

Edit: IMDB agrees.

Ant000 on
  • CalvionCalvion Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I can only hope, in my heart of hearts, that this is someway tied to the viral campaign and some rediculous hoax... It seems to be in bad taste, but someone earlier is right in that it is exactly what the joker would find funny.

It would seem kind of unlikely, seeing as all the major news networks are involved, but its not impossible. Would it be illegal, i've seen movies based on fake deaths of some celebrities like pauly shore and carrot top...

Again, highly unlikely, but I'm hoping.

Batman looked great and I liked most of his other stuff too.

Calvion on
  • JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is such a shame and a shock. I mean, I was not expecting another young star to go again. Especially not Heath Ledger.

Jasoco on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    He's dead, Jim.

One Thousand Cables on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As if it wasn't already a sure enough thing, his Joker will be absolutely legendary.

He'll be missed.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Goddammit.

I was already having a shitty, 19 hour workday, and I come home to this.

Fuck.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    When I go to see the The Dark Knight when it opens, if his performance is truly legendary, it'll be like a punch to the gut.

The best Joker to appear nevermore.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm sure that the Joker will become "his" role now, in the same way that it was Nicholson's before. I'm sure he was going to own it anyway, but his untimely death seals the deal.

UnbreakableVow on
  • QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Setting aside the sadness and mystery around Ledger's death, the story did theoretically call for the Joker to be in the third film and films beyond that, as Nolan had intended for the Joker to remain a nemesis to Batman for the future of the franchise.

For this to happen, they'd have to hire a new Joker. And the only person that LOOKS like Ledger is Joseph Gordon-Levitt, seen here:
    cover_story-1.jpg

josephgl4.jpg

Apparently he also has acting chops, as The Lookout was very well reviewed. (He's also the kid from Angels in the Outfield).

I just wanted to point him out since I know we're all thinking "What will happen to the franchise?" at this point.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    he's awesome. if The Joker remains in future films I'd be happy with that choice.

are we certain they finished shooting TDK?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited January 2008
    Isn't he Third Rock from the Sun kid too?

Satan. on
    edited January 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    he's awesome. if The Joker remains in future films I'd be happy with that choice.

Yes, it's marked as post-production.

Satan. on
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Yep.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Variable wrote: »

Yes, it's marked as post-production.

thank you.

and yes, 3rd rock from the sun, and also Brick which I enjoyed though I know some people here strongly didn't.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • killamajigkillamajig Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

See Brick, and you will forget all about that.

Also, AICN is reporting that he was 100% done with Dark Knight. Terry Gilliam's movie is still up in the air.

killamajig on
    "Oh cruel fate...to be thusly boned...ask not for who the bone bones...it bones for thee."
    Killamajig and Scullykel999 on MTGO
  • HboxHbox Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Does Terry Gilliam ever shoot a movie where something doesn't go horribly wrong?

Hbox on
    720551nt8.png
    PSN ID : HBoxx
    edited January 2008
    Yeah it wasn't a negative, I just remembered him from it.

Satan. on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    shit. Been in a bad/off mood all day, and I come home to this.

RIP, Ledger.

Tamin on
This discussion has been closed.