As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I just got to the "Jeff" chapter. Goddammit.
    I was doing okay and felt like I was handling it relatively well until I got to the part where you lock him in the little closet. Then the power goes out, you use your multi-tool to start tracing back the line, along the wall, and... oh shit, I'm gonna have to let him back out again aren't I?

I had to stop there. Think I'll come back and visit Jeff another time. Goodnight, sweet prince.

Jeff just wants to have a drink with you.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'm sure everyone's known a Jeff or two in their time. And I'm sure that with all of them, there came a time when you had to leave them behind.
    And possibly crush them in a garbage compactor.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Yay, I made it!
    Fuck you Jeff! Although I did kind of love you by the end and let you out before dropping into the tunnels. You are now Larry's problem. Best of luck on all of your future endeavors.

Christ I need a drink.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I just got to the "Jeff" chapter. Goddammit.
    I was doing okay and felt like I was handling it relatively well until I got to the part where you lock him in the little closet. Then the power goes out, you use your multi-tool to start tracing back the line, along the wall, and... oh shit, I'm gonna have to let him back out again aren't I?

I had to stop there. Think I'll come back and visit Jeff another time. Goodnight, sweet prince.

Honestly I think that might be the best part of the whole thing. It was such an awesome moment.
    Jeff was already scary and the idea that you had beaten him but no not really, was so so well executed. I had to sit there and psyche myself up to lift that latch.

This is probably on my list of most memorable moments in vidya games. Went back and watched some streams of people playing that same section, and the burning realization that smoulders every time is just absolutely priceless.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    I finally finished both the "Not a Hero" and "End of Zoe" DLC chapters for Resident Evil 7. Anyone else enjoy the hell out of those?

Now on to the Banned Footage Volumes 1 and 2 DLC.

• Options
    I predict when the source VR editor comes out we will be seeing a whole lot of "Jeff" level mods. Can't wait.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Virtual desktop being a paltry $2 was enough to finally get me to bite the bullet, totally intending to refund it. But I think I'm going to end up keeping it. It might just because it seems to resize my desktop resolution back down to 1080p, but it runs waaaaay smooter than either ALVR or using a (non-link) cable. Especially the tracking, which was buttery smooth compared to the head jitter which I occasionally experienced with the other 2 attempts

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    its also useful since you can use like VLC or other video players instead of being forced to use what might not work in whatever VR specific app your running.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Finally decided to get SideQuest loaded up and running, and it's opened up VR possibilities a ton. Tried out Hyper Dash this weekend. There's no tutorial (just says "Coming Soon"), which I found a little frustrating. The game itself is pretty fun and I was impressed that I didn't experience VR sickness. My only complaints right now are (1) that there aren't many servers and they all seem full almost all the time, so you it took a lot of waiting and refreshing to get into a game; and (2) that there were a lot of overly hyped squeakers and some obnoxious, foul mouthed teens yelling how much everyone else sucks (in other words, it's the internet with microphones). I was content to remain silent and just listen to people yell at me about how I need to do what they say or how I should go eff myself (or one of my parental figures) because I killed them, etc., etc.

I think I'm going to try out Crisis VRigade, as my buddy who got me into the Quest highly recommended it to me.

And for those on Oculus that wanted to play I Expect You to Die but didn't want to fork out $25, it's one sale for a limited time, paired with another game (can't remember off the top of my head) for the same price as the former game's original price (so two games for $25). The intro to I Expect You to Die is awesome, btw.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    I Expect You to Die is definitely in my top 5 VR games. It's relatively short, but it's just soooo good. Very recommended for anyone who hasn't played it yet. I believe they also released a new level for it a few weeks ago. I've been holding off on playing it so I can savor it on a day when I really need a good pick-me-up, but it's definitely on my list to get back to. Hell, it's been long enough since I played it, I probably won't remember most of the puzzles anyway. I might just replay the whole thing.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I Expect You to Die is definitely in my top 5 VR games. It's relatively short, but it's just soooo good. Very recommended for anyone who hasn't played it yet. I believe they also released a new level for it a few weeks ago. I've been holding off on playing it so I can savor it on a day when I really need a good pick-me-up, but it's definitely on my list to get back to. Hell, it's been long enough since I played it, I probably won't remember most of the puzzles anyway. I might just replay the whole thing.
    There are a couple levels that I don't feel like make a lot of sense, but otherwise it's pretty good!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Finally decided to get SideQuest loaded up and running, and it's opened up VR possibilities a ton. Tried out Hyper Dash this weekend. There's no tutorial (just says "Coming Soon"), which I found a little frustrating. The game itself is pretty fun and I was impressed that I didn't experience VR sickness. My only complaints right now are (1) that there aren't many servers and they all seem full almost all the time, so you it took a lot of waiting and refreshing to get into a game; and (2) that there were a lot of overly hyped squeakers and some obnoxious, foul mouthed teens yelling how much everyone else sucks (in other words, it's the internet with microphones). I was content to remain silent and just listen to people yell at me about how I need to do what they say or how I should go eff myself (or one of my parental figures) because I killed them, etc., etc.

I think I'm going to try out Crisis VRigade, as my buddy who got me into the Quest highly recommended it to me.

And for those on Oculus that wanted to play I Expect You to Die but didn't want to fork out $25, it's one sale for a limited time, paired with another game (can't remember off the top of my head) for the same price as the former game's original price (so two games for $25). The intro to I Expect You to Die is awesome, btw.

The only thing I've done on SideQuest is upload more Beat Saber songs, so if you do find any apps that you really recommend, lemme know please :)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I expect you to die is also on viveport infinity, fwiw

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This is just to say that Alien: Isolation in VR is great and also about the worst thing to play if you're already stressed out by the pandemic. But I've learned the important life skill of opening the menu the instant the alien has spotted me and is about to pounce. I've made it through half the game without ever having to endure a close up of those dual jaws.

Anyone who has the game and VR goggles owes it to themselves to check out the MotherVR mod. It's not perfect, but it is absolutely amazing to be immersed in a virtual environment that looks so much like the original movie. IMO it works better with a gamepad than with native VR controllers, but otherwise it's absolutely playable.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    This is just to say that Alien: Isolation in VR is great and also about the worst thing to play if you're already stressed out by the pandemic. But I've learned the important life skill of opening the menu the instant the alien has spotted me and is about to pounce. I've made it through half the game without ever having to endure a close up of those dual jaws.

Anyone who has the game and VR goggles owes it to themselves to check out the MotherVR mod. It's not perfect, but it is absolutely amazing to be immersed in a virtual environment that looks so much like the original movie. IMO it works better with a gamepad than with native VR controllers, but otherwise it's absolutely playable.

Agreed that this mod is fantastic and you should check it out. But perhaps after you've garnered some hefty VR legs. My friend trying VR for the first time insisted he play it for his second game despite my protestations. He... did not feel well for a while after.

• Options
    Knowing that what makes a person queasy in VR is very different from one person to the next, what I don't like in VR is turning left or right while sitting still, so I play such games standing up and turning by, well, turning. I wonder how many people who get queasy while playing seated have tried this and whether it made a difference for them.

With Alien: Isolation, it helps that the overall pace is slow, but yes, it's definitely not an ideal My First VR Experience. At all. And that's even before you get your skull bitten through by an extendable secondary jaw.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Knowing that what makes a person queasy in VR is very different from one person to the next, what I don't like in VR is turning left or right while sitting still, so I play such games standing up and turning by, well, turning. I wonder how many people who get queasy while playing seated have tried this and whether it made a difference for them.

With Alien: Isolation, it helps that the overall pace is slow, but yes, it's definitely not an ideal My First VR Experience. At all. And that's even before you get your skull bitten through by an extendable secondary jaw.

Snap turning isn't too bad, depending on how it's implemented. Smooth turning? Fuuuuuuuck that. I'm puking in 30 seconds flat.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular

Snap turning isn't too bad, depending on how it's implemented. Smooth turning? Fuuuuuuuck that. I'm puking in 30 seconds flat.

Yepp. This is why I can only play games like that standing up. Using your head to move your videogame head = good! Using joysticks to move your videogame head = bad! Smooth turning does help, but in general standing is the most immersive and least stomach wrenching option for me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I played that on Xbox and my heart was pounding every time the Alien caught up to me. I cannot imagine playing that in VR. That said, Alien: Isolation is the Alien game that I've always wanted to play, especially given how so many Alien games before it were terrible. It's an amazing game that pays homage to the original film by keeping the look and feel of the Nostromo. I highly recommend it.

• Options
    For you Quest users out there, Echo VR Beta is out free on the store!

• Options
    edited May 2020
    This is a very fun game, but be careful how long you play. I actually lost my balance and orientation so much at one moment that I had to stop playing.

There is so much going on with what you can do from using small jet on your hands to control your momentum, boosters to kick into high speed, an all stop button, punching opponents to stun them, defending their punches, propelling by grab and fling... highly recommend trying this game out if you have the VR legs to support it. Fortunately, this zero G environment always keeps you right side up, which is a huge plus.

I keep hearing people in-game saying that goalies are useless, but I manned goal a few times and it really made a difference if you're good enough. I took a Rocket League approach and would push up to help with offense, but jet back to defend as soon as the disc was cleared

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    So ive seen a few games on the occulus store only that seem interesting. could i reasonably expect all the occulus games to work with my index?

Also, ive been playing obduction in vr, and while its fine, there seems to be a keybind thats reasonably useful that i cant seem to trigger with any of the knuckles buttons...the one that lets you take a screenshot. (useful for puzzles). i cant find a way to rebind the keys to the knuckles. is there something in steamvr that will let me assign a keyboard key to a knuckles button on the fly?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Occulus games won't work on any non-occulus headset without hackery.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I still don't use it much at all, but all accounts I've heard say ReVive works great. You might search around for the specific games you want to confirm, but it does have a reputation of working well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fiatil wrote: »
    I still don't use it much at all, but all accounts I've heard say ReVive works great. You might search around for the specific games you want to confirm, but it does have a reputation of working well.

I have an Oculus so have never done this, but that's also my understanding, yeah.

Steam profile
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    The Github page you get Revive from has a link to a community wiki list of working games, which is most of them.

• Options
    This is a very fun game, but be careful how long you play. I actually lost my balance and orientation so much at one moment that I had to stop playing.

There is so much going on with what you can do from using small jet on your hands to control your momentum, boosters to kick into high speed, an all stop button, punching opponents to stun them, defending their punches, propelling by grab and fling... highly recommend trying this game out if you have the VR legs to support it. Fortunately, this zero G environment always keeps you right side up, which is a huge plus.

I keep hearing people in-game saying that goalies are useless, but I manned goal a few times and it really made a difference if you're good enough. I took a Rocket League approach and would push up to help with offense, but jet back to defend as soon as the disc was cleared

I was pretty heavily into Echo Arena when I first got my Rift CV1 a couple years ago. The comparison to Rocket League is apt... simple concept, high skill ceiling, lots of depth in terms of strategy and mechanics. When you look the high-level players, it's like they're playing a whole different game. Rotation is a big part of it, just like it is in Rocket League. You can definitely have one person playing goalie, but it's generally way more effective to have someone on offense, mid-field, and defense, and continually rotate them out with each successive challenge on the disc. When it starts clicking, it's a hell of a lot of fun.

I was just starting to wrap my head around some of it when I eventually dropped out for whatever reason, but it would be fun to get back into it on the Quest. This feels like a game more than anything else that will really benefit from an untethered system. You're right about making sure you have good VR legs though. There were a few times playing this where I'd lose my balance. It wasn't VR sickness, but more that my body wasn't in-line with what my eyes were telling me... so for example, I'd be floating fast through the arena and then latch onto a wall and come to a sudden stop, and my knees would just buckle expecting the impact but not getting it. Definitely takes a while to get used to. Still one of the best implementations of locomotion in VR to-date though.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    This feels like a game more than anything else that will really benefit from an untethered system.

I played it a lot with the vive wireless, and it definitely makes the experience much nicer. But it can be kind of awkward for opponents. I juked one guy and felt really pumped and made a comment about it that was met with some disdain. The game was designed to be played standing - all the movement your character makes is entirely with the jets/pushing of surfaces. So moving around in your play space makes your ingame character look as if they're 'sliding' laterally (or whatever axis your character is oriented on) through space despite not engaging their jets or pushing off of anything. Obviously this is possible even when tethered, but a wireless setup tends to encourage that kind of play.

Probably not worth worrying about unless you're in a super try hard setting, but worth keeping in mind, I think. I generally try to keep movement limited to turning.

• Options
    The main thing I hope they'll change with Lone Echo 2 (or possibly introduce with an update): I wish you could turn yourself around by holding on to something with both hands and pushing one while pulling the other. I expect it's more difficult to implement, though, and more likely to cause issues.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    The main thing I hope they'll change with Lone Echo 2 (or possibly introduce with an update): I wish you could turn yourself around by holding on to something with both hands and pushing one while pulling the other. I expect it's more difficult to implement, though, and more likely to cause issues.

I think there's something like that built into the advanced settings plugin for Steam VR. If they had a spare button, you could hold it down while grabbing to enable turning. I think the main issue with that is motion sickness.

• Options
    I know this is a super niche question, but has anyone else set up viveport infinity on a quest through virtual desktop? If I run viveport directly over the link, it properly identifies the controllers as touch controllers (in games that support it), but in virtual desktop it thinks they're vive wands. I saw a reddit post that if you add them directly to steam, something about "pancake mode"?, it should work properly (and show up on the steam games list in VD), but they didn't have directions on how to do that?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Slortex wrote: »
    This feels like a game more than anything else that will really benefit from an untethered system.

I played it a lot with the vive wireless, and it definitely makes the experience much nicer. But it can be kind of awkward for opponents. I juked one guy and felt really pumped and made a comment about it that was met with some disdain. The game was designed to be played standing - all the movement your character makes is entirely with the jets/pushing of surfaces. So moving around in your play space makes your ingame character look as if they're 'sliding' laterally (or whatever axis your character is oriented on) through space despite not engaging their jets or pushing off of anything. Obviously this is possible even when tethered, but a wireless setup tends to encourage that kind of play.

Probably not worth worrying about unless you're in a super try hard setting, but worth keeping in mind, I think. I generally try to keep movement limited to turning.

Do people actually get upset about moving around in your play space? I honestly remember this being a key strategy when I was really into it, and definitely not something that was derided. Maybe things have changed. I hope not, because that was one of my go-to moves to evade someone grabbing the disk away from me.

I did play a couple rounds last night on Quest. I was surprised at how good it looked. There wasn’t anything that immediately stood out to me in terms of graphical fidelity that seemed like a huge compromise. The game itself was as fun as ever, though I’m way out of practice. I definitely need to find a bigger space to play.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    While attempting to grab and throw a disc in virtual reality, I punched a vaccuum in real reality and busted a knuckle.... I'm a winner

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    While attempting to grab and throw a disc in virtual reality, I punched a vaccuum in real reality and busted a knuckle.... I'm a winner

No. You're the GOAT!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      A knuckle on your finger or a knuckle controller?

• Options
      Considering I’ve smashed my hands a number of times playing Lone Echo, I’m guessing his actual knuckle.

Steam | Twitch
    • Options
      SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
      Been doing a lot of beat saber this quarantine, finally beat an Expert+ song, although it was a modded song so it probably doesn't count.

But I also got an S rank on the Fitbeat song on hard and holy damn that one is a workout for sure.

Doing this every day is a nice little bit of cardio plus I am definitely getting better at the game! Though every time I finish my arms feel like they've died.

• Options
      Been doing a lot of beat saber this quarantine, finally beat an Expert+ song, although it was a modded song so it probably doesn't count.

But I also got an S rank on the Fitbeat song on hard and holy damn that one is a workout for sure.

Doing this every day is a nice little bit of cardio plus I am definitely getting better at the game! Though every time I finish my arms feel like they've died.

Yeah the custom songs vary a bunch in difficulty. There are some Expert songs where my goal is to get a perfect run, where I'm usually missing less than ~5 per song. And there are some Expert songs where I'm happy to not fail before the refrain :D

Steam profile
    • Options
      DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
      Fitbeat feels like a special case, too. I can usually sightread most Expert+ songs to success, but Fitbeat I can only do that for Expert.

• Options
      Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
      kime wrote: »

Yeah the custom songs vary a bunch in difficulty. There are some Expert songs where my goal is to get a perfect run, where I'm usually missing less than ~5 per song. And there are some Expert songs where I'm happy to not fail before the refrain :D

And there's Normal songs that feel like Expert+.