As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Japan ceasing international air shipping only started like two weeks ago. Because of the pandemic.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    urahonky wrote: »
    Is streets of rage 5 year old friendly? Not necessarily violence but difficulty?

There was another game you guys recommended a while back where the non-1p characters teleported back to the 1p.

My son is 7 and playing on normal he did fine with it. He had never played a brawler type game before so some of the stuff had him hung up (namely he would always use the X attack, which lowers your health unless you combo an enemy, which he wouldn't; and also just generally the precision of being on the same plane as the enemy to hurt them, he'd frequently think he should be hitting something and wouldn't), but by the end he was pretty good, and when we (along with my daughter) played the battle mode, he even won a couple times.

I will say that even normal difficulty, if you're like me and haven't really played a brawler since...the 90's, can be tough. Lots of environmental things in particular that can trip you up. A couple times we took the "buffs" after losing a stage to continue.

However, the most important thing that I can stress, that we didn't figure out until the next to last level, is that you can turn off team damage. This was a game changer for both kids, as they were no longer killing each other all the time, and it made everyone less frustrated with each other when they'd accidentally knock them down. Some purists may scoff at that setting, but for kids it's really good. I'm not sure if it's in the actual settings, but on the character select screen, after a second or third player have joined, it should say in the upper right what button to push to disable team damage (I believe it was X on the Switch).

My son has played harder games since he was 5, for sure, and I wouldn't say anything in SoR 4 is any more difficult than virtually any other game (mario, minecraft, whatever), there's just a bit of adjustment to the specific rules of the genre.

Plus the awesome art and bright colors makes it really inviting, I'd say; at least my kids reacted as such.

Just keep in mind, that it is just a classic brawler remade. There's a handful of secrets, but content wise there's just the main game, a boss rush, and battle mode. I'm hoping for DLC with more characters (there's a few you can unlock mainly just by playing a lot and getting points) and more stages, but whats there is still fun. How replayable it is will differ from person to person, but the kids have asked to play it again after we beat it, so that's something.

EDIT: Re: joycons, they haven't had any in stock near me for the last couple months. I checked online for the usual sites (best buy, walmart, etc) and they were all out of stock, for best buy they said there were out of stock on all of them up to 250 miles around, and there was no option to order from them from their site, just 3rd party sellers (same from walmart) that were charging $120+ for them. I'll take a look at playasia and that brick site. Thanks folks!

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Is streets of rage 5 year old friendly? Not necessarily violence but difficulty?

There was another game you guys recommended a while back where the non-1p characters teleported back to the 1p.

I don't remember if you have an Xbox or not but it's on Game Pass.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I have 90g of my 500g SD Card left

I think i have an impulse purchase problem

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I've played maybe 2 hours on my OG Switch since the Lite came out. The Lite is the light.

The only game I've really needed docked mode for is Daemon X Machina (Panzer Dragoon also plays much better with a full controller).

BTW DXM has had the crap updated out of it and now has tons of new stuff like a "free-roam"/sandbox mode, and vs multi-player (with rankings!). Now might be the time to revisit it or pick it up if you bought Astral Chain instead on release.

Daemon X Machina is also on Steam... if you want to play it at 60 FPS at 1440p or something...

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I don't remember if you have an Xbox or not but it's on Game Pass.

I don't! But this is good to know for my friends.

We ended up playing River City Ransom and had a good time with it. He's still struggling with a lot of things but we enjoyed it.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

My son is 7 and playing on normal he did fine with it. He had never played a brawler type game before so some of the stuff had him hung up (namely he would always use the X attack, which lowers your health unless you combo an enemy, which he wouldn't; and also just generally the precision of being on the same plane as the enemy to hurt them, he'd frequently think he should be hitting something and wouldn't), but by the end he was pretty good, and when we (along with my daughter) played the battle mode, he even won a couple times.

I will say that even normal difficulty, if you're like me and haven't really played a brawler since...the 90's, can be tough. Lots of environmental things in particular that can trip you up. A couple times we took the "buffs" after losing a stage to continue.

However, the most important thing that I can stress, that we didn't figure out until the next to last level, is that you can turn off team damage. This was a game changer for both kids, as they were no longer killing each other all the time, and it made everyone less frustrated with each other when they'd accidentally knock them down. Some purists may scoff at that setting, but for kids it's really good. I'm not sure if it's in the actual settings, but on the character select screen, after a second or third player have joined, it should say in the upper right what button to push to disable team damage (I believe it was X on the Switch).

My son has played harder games since he was 5, for sure, and I wouldn't say anything in SoR 4 is any more difficult than virtually any other game (mario, minecraft, whatever), there's just a bit of adjustment to the specific rules of the genre.

Plus the awesome art and bright colors makes it really inviting, I'd say; at least my kids reacted as such.

Just keep in mind, that it is just a classic brawler remade. There's a handful of secrets, but content wise there's just the main game, a boss rush, and battle mode. I'm hoping for DLC with more characters (there's a few you can unlock mainly just by playing a lot and getting points) and more stages, but whats there is still fun. How replayable it is will differ from person to person, but the kids have asked to play it again after we beat it, so that's something.

EDIT: Re: joycons, they haven't had any in stock near me for the last couple months. I checked online for the usual sites (best buy, walmart, etc) and they were all out of stock, for best buy they said there were out of stock on all of them up to 250 miles around, and there was no option to order from them from their site, just 3rd party sellers (same from walmart) that were charging $120+ for them. I'll take a look at playasia and that brick site. Thanks folks!

I'll pick it up sometime in the future... This is all good info! Thanks!

• Options
    Is anyone else having DNS issues on the Eshop? It was working fine this morning

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think Nintendo is experiencing issues with their servers today. Animal Crossing is unable to connect at all today.

• Options
    That's a shame my copy of Chocobo dungeon finally came in the mail and i wanted to get the Alpha code it came with redeemed boo.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Fire Emblem Three Houses is a very good game so far. I am surprised in my first few hours how little actual turn based combat there has been.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Fire Emblem Three Houses is a very good game so far. I am surprised in my first few hours how little actual turn based combat there has been.

I just started playing it myself and I'm finding that pretty much every aspect of it is great. Exploring the monastery, interacting with students, and battling. Even the tutorials are fun to the point of not really feeling like tutorials.

The student/teacher aspect of the game is making me feel very attached to my units and I've had a few close calls in combat.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Japan ceasing international air shipping only started like two weeks ago. Because of the pandemic.

Pity, since that's the only place you can get custom ones officially right now.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Auxiliary battles are not fucking around on hard difficulty. A murderous roll through a forest was pretty damn challenging.

Then the actual story mission featuring Catherine the Murder Queen was beyond trivial.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

The balance of combat to downtime shifts the further into the game you get to more combat, don't sweat it. They're easing you in

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    As much as I love Three Houses, my big knock against it is that I feel like it's got some pacing issues.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    As much as I love Three Houses, my big knock against it is that I feel like it's got some pacing issues.

The fact that there's an in-game month of downtime between every major story event, and probably an hour of buying flowers and teaparties and fishing gameplay, can really hurt the momentum of the story sometimes.

• Options
    My first attempt to play three houses i could not make it past a few hours in the pacing is very slow at the start i need to give it another try though.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    +1 for another person who couldn't stand the pace of FE:3H. I thought I'd be okay with it since I can tolerate Persona, but Persona is a long bit of faffing around and a long bit of playing an actual RPG, while 3H's start felt like it was more like a 90% faffing to 10% SRPG.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Yeah there is much faffing but now I am spending most of my time killing things - you really only don't want to be running missions when something relevant is going on in the Monastery. One thing that has already started really bothering me is the creepy way you hit on certain female students, which sometimes can't be entirely avoided. There is just something a bit off about a teacher hitting on students to me. Doesn't sit well.

But the turn based combat is challenging and really really fun. So enjoying this game immensely. Unfortunately I forgot to move Caspar when I stopped playing and now he's facing two mages and two bandits... alone...

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the faffing around the monastery is definitely the worst part of Three Houses yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I really like it. I am playing on hard/classic, so every battle is super stressful. It’s nice having some calm time.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    give me a game that's only the faffing about without the battles, cowards

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Animal Crossing.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular

Animal Crossing.

Until they add the Battle Royale mode to let people fight over Raymond, at least.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I would like to faff.

EDIT: Has anyone ever been called a motherfaffer?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    For anyone who wanted a physical version of Streets of Rage 4 there is a single copy in stock @ Limited Run right now (even though the sale period for it ended last night):

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/switch-limited-run-65-streets-of-rage-4

Edit: aaaaand it's gone.

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I've played maybe 2 hours on my OG Switch since the Lite came out. The Lite is the light.

The only game I've really needed docked mode for is Daemon X Machina (Panzer Dragoon also plays much better with a full controller).

BTW DXM has had the crap updated out of it and now has tons of new stuff like a "free-roam"/sandbox mode, and vs multi-player (with rankings!). Now might be the time to revisit it or pick it up if you bought Astral Chain instead on release.

Daemon X Machina is also on Steam... if you want to play it at 60 FPS at 1440p or something...

Sir, this is a Nintendo's.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I liked the monastery parts up to exactly the
    timeskip.
    I feel like after that it should have been heavier on the actual story momentum

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    I liked the monastery parts up to exactly the
    timeskip.
    I feel like after that it should have been heavier on the actual story momentum

The game felt much, much better for me when, after the spoilered point, I just automated all the training and monastery stuff. Story and battles moved along at a better pace, you could knock out all the story-relevant conversations in a couple minutes, and the subtle differences in optimal stat focus didn't ever seem to matter, even on hard.

Ugh, I need to play through that again.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    How does Daemon X Machina compare to Armored Core? Does it feel like the same kind of gameplay? Is the tone similar? I know the mech designs are kinda similar and it's got some of the old AC staff behind it, but visually it seems pretty different to me.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    There was a demo, not sure if it's still around

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Animal Crossing.

One that doesn't give me daily quests and also has matchmaking.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    One that doesn't give me daily quests
    Oh! What you're looking for, then, is not Video Game. I have heard pretty good things about Book, although I've never tried it myself.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

Animal Crossing.

One that doesn't give me daily quests and also has matchmaking.

Hatoful Boyfriend

Damn, I thought that hit the Switch

Dream Daddy

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    man... i miss when games never even considered the concept of daily quests. I'm gonna blame WoW for this, not sure if that's true or not

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I think Chinese MMOs (or possibly Korean ones) should be blamed before WOW probably. Then gacha games and Facebook lying about their profitability sealed us in to this dreadful fate.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    You can also just
    ... Ignore the quests. Plenty of games I play have them and I skip them routinely. In destiny and Apex, both games I play all the time, I skip dailies that don't look fun or appealing. It's nice to have them rather than not tho

There's tons of "daily" goals in animal crossing too but I never feel like I'm missing out if I skip a day or two

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    You can also just
    ... Ignore the quests. Plenty of games I play have them and I skip them routinely. In destiny and Apex, both games I play all the time, I skip dailies that don't look fun or appealing. It's nice to have them rather than not tho

Eh, nah man. Dailies are designed to be an income of valuable resources. If you care about the game, you most likely care about the resources. What would be nicer than having them is not adding a scarcity hamster wheel to trap your players with to begin with.

Like in Destiny, I do bounties to complete the season pass or earn dust for cool cosmetics. Not because the bounties are fun. 99% of the time, they aren't fun. The gameplay is fun, the bounties are the jobs I do to earn my (measly) reward paycheck.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    You can also just

Eh, nah man. Dailies are designed to be an income of valuable resources. If you care about the game, you most likely care about the resources. What would be nicer than having them is not adding a scarcity hamster wheel to trap your players with to begin with.

Like in Destiny, I do bounties to complete the season pass or earn dust for cool cosmetics. Not because the bounties are fun. 99% of the time, they aren't fun. The gameplay is fun, the bounties are the jobs I do to earn my (measly) reward paycheck.

For most games, I would agree that they often feel pretty much required, but for Animal Crossing, the dailies are hardly required. Especially after you get two or three weeks into the game, you're just padding out your Nook Miles value.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Eh, I care about the game but I don't care about engaging with every facet. In Apex most of the bounties are tied to skins and I really couldn't care less most of the time, so yeah, I recommend ignoring them if you don't find them fun or engaging. Yeah sure, if you're min maxing, they may become tedious, but the idea is to have something to do everyday you log in, which for some people is a nice thing to look forward to.