As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Call of Duty] BLOPS IIII out now, and pretty good despite Activision's best efforts.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    One good thing about working on PKM camos is, if a tank shows up, I just shoot it. So crowds of enemies get my EMP drone, instead of the nearest tin can. And it’s been earning me kills. Finishing off wounded foot mobiles, mostly.

But in one match tonight, an unarmored vehicle it disabled blew up and took three enemies with it. I have to wonder what that looked like, on their end. Did the killcam just show a burning vehicle, or did it show the drone descending? Leaving them to wonder how a toy airplane mini-nuked their squad.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    One good thing about working on PKM camos is, if a tank shows up, I just shoot it. So crowds of enemies get my EMP drone, instead of the nearest tin can. And it’s been earning me kills. Finishing off wounded foot mobiles, mostly.

But in one match tonight, an unarmored vehicle it disabled blew up and took three enemies with it. I have to wonder what that looked like, on their end. Did the killcam just show a burning vehicle, or did it show the drone descending? Leaving them to wonder how a toy airplane mini-nuked their squad.

Having died to a vehicle explosion, it just shows the vehicle...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Preacher wrote: »

Having died to a vehicle explosion, it just shows the vehicle...

Ah, thanks for the confirmation. No wonder I don’t see more people using EMP kites. Also, I’m definitely going to light up more unattended bikes and trucks in enemy territory when I see them and don’t have another target. That will be worth it just to get the occasional multikill when I’m not expecting it.

Or to quote that warrior-poet Captain America, “denying the enemy transportation.”

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    [*] Balance tweaks to objective maps based on curb stomp W/L by starting position. Throwing out any reasonably close final scores.
    The only point on your list that I don't fully agree with is the one I don't understand. Could you clarify?

If I could add something it would be that objectives based game modes like Domination should generate more points for holding a point. As it is we seem to earn more points by just 'capture then release so we can recapture' instead of trying to prevent the enemy from retaking what we've captured. And I'm not talking about giving even more points for killing enemies on point.
    The top score earners shouldn't be the players with 10+ captures. (Or 0 captures but x2 kills than anyone else.)
    In my opinion.

What I meant was, some maps in objective modes appear (though this is only based on my observation, so I’d want IW to look at the data) to favor one side over another, and routinely become curb-stomps where one side is holed up in their spawn, or with maybe one other capture point. I see the reverse happen on these same maps, of course. But there’s a noticeable trend. I’d like the devs to look at adjusting maps where this is a problem. Win/Loss by starting position seems a good way to evaluate it, while throwing out close finishes on the grounds that they were clearly back and forth struggles.

I like your idea of rewarding capture & hold more than “cap and bug out, then retake”. Maybe serving up points (including for Pointman) gradually as an objective you helped capture remains in friendly hands, instead of all at once up front. Doing that first would make a lot of sense. Maybe that fixes the balance, or maybe some maps just have easier positions to hold on one side than on the other. And while a team may leapfrog over the middle area, particularly in Ground War, sometimes the points closer to one side’s spawn are swept by sniper & LMG fire from relatively safe elevated positions.

FWIW, and for anyone reading this who plays the free Warzone mode and is contemplating picking the game up for MP, I still enjoy the objective modes, and play Ground War or Domination most of the time. Along the occasional mosh pit playlist that includes TDM and Kill Confirmed. There’s a lot you can do to help your team succeed that doesn’t involve having all the attachments for YouTube’s favorite “overpowered gun” of the week. Ground War, in particular, feels great. With a lot of control over where you spawn and which objective you’re going to push.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Ground war is just a bunch of people sniping, but its still really good to level up weapons in. Especially on the double xp weekends.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    M14 seems just as frustratingly mid as it was during the beta and I'm not wasting my time on levelling it up like I did with the VLK, fuck that.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular

I honestly didn't know the IAV could be damaged by small arms fire. Then I had mine destroyed by an LMG while working on turret kills and felt silly just running away from them in GW every time.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Ground war is just a bunch of people sniping, but its still really good to level up weapons in. Especially on the double xp weekends.

Depends on the map rotation. Right now, I’m getting bounced between Scope Glint Quarry and Rooftop District, where I generally run around with an AR until I get my first set of streaks, then go back to an LMG to take out Ghillie Suit Larrys, Loaches, and Bradleys.

When there’s a DXP weekend, I usually back to core modes where there’s less need for extended mags, optics, and FMJ. But this most recent one wasn’t as great for that, with some maps I don’t think of as particularly “small” making it into the Camping Fever playlist.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Spontaneous 30 GB 'update' for PC because of fucking course. I bet it's just completely redownloading the whole-ass multiplayer module or something

If I had any backbone I'd uninstall this game out of principle but I know it doesn't mean squat for anyone

• Options

Depends on the map rotation. Right now, I’m getting bounced between Scope Glint Quarry and Rooftop District, where I generally run around with an AR until I get my first set of streaks, then go back to an LMG to take out Ghillie Suit Larrys, Loaches, and Bradleys.

When there’s a DXP weekend, I usually back to core modes where there’s less need for extended mags, optics, and FMJ. But this most recent one wasn’t as great for that, with some maps I don’t think of as particularly “small” making it into the Camping Fever playlist.

The "small playlist" that was up the last weekish was really good, IMO. Kill Confirmed and Hardpoint make camping into a pretty losing proposition, I'm really digging those modes recently.

• Options
    Between the absurd continuous patching these last few days and whatever they've done to the matchmaking that has changed wait times for TDM (ie. the from 1-2 minutes to 5-10, I think the convenience of jumping into Call of Duty to play a few games may have been one of the real driving factors as to why I actually play the game because my interest is waning pretty fast at this point (especially after how openly hostile the new LMG challenge is to being completed)

• Options
    Yeah TDM has been abysmal and the new LMG's requirement would be ridic if it was 1 smoke kill a match but fucking 3? Are you bullshitting me?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    The new patch fucked up voice chat for cross platform stuff. Really bummed me out, cause I play a bunch with a friend that only has an Xbox and now we can't use ingame comms like 2 games out of 3. Half the reason it's so fun is we can just hang out and shoot the shit while playing :|

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    yeah the playlist thing has been killer, and ground war seems to have cheaters more often.

I did get that Legendary Rinetti with the burst fire...thing is amazing in HC

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Not sure where else to ask this, I’m not much into cod multiplayer but really enjoy their single player campaigns. Loved playing through the MW remasters. I wonder if they’ll remaster blops 1 and 2, I never played those and they’re still way too expensive to buy for old games

I basically had no memory of MW 1 and 2 so they were pretty amazing to play though all upgraded. And I equally have no memory of blops 1 and 2 so I hope they do remasters for those too

Prohass on
  • Options
    Modern Warfare 2 Remaster is downloading for me at the moment, I almost literally forgot it existed when Sony's timed exclusivity on it ended on the 30th

No news on any other remasters but I imagine if there's one up next it would be the bloppers

• Options
    Between the absurd continuous patching these last few days and whatever they've done to the matchmaking that has changed wait times for TDM (ie. the from 1-2 minutes to 5-10, I think the convenience of jumping into Call of Duty to play a few games may have been one of the real driving factors as to why I actually play the game because my interest is waning pretty fast at this point (especially after how openly hostile the new LMG challenge is to being completed)

I'm glad im not the only one who noticed the queues are screwed up since the patch.

There was a little bit where the really small map queue shoot the ship? fired a few times. i just went in with an lmg with thermals and smoke grenades and threw smoke and fired. im still not sure whether im supposed to be in the smoke or if the target is... but i did manage to get 3 of them done. but you need like 25 to unlock the new gun...

• Options

Kill Confirmed is probably the best mode to do it in because you can confirm where the opponent was exactly where you killed them (so then you know when to swap off the godawful LMG-smoke build you've made), but even then I've had plenty of games where I was 99% sure I had 3 enemy kills within smoke and the game still didn't add it to the tally
    Shipment is probably the best map since smoke grenades can cover a substantial portion of the lanes.

Also update on the VLK: I normally wouldn't have bothered given how much of a struggle it is to use the gun, but after seeing a play of the game with a player going to town with the new Dragon's Breath option they added to it, I can confirm that Dragon's Breath is pretty much mandatory in making the gun actually good. It gets a good chance of 1-hits within close range out to mid (Model 680 ranges), and the fast ROF actually has synergy with the DoT effect that Dragon's Breath adds so confirming 2-hit kills isn't such a fucking struggle.

Every other magazine option (the highest level one especially) is laughable garbage

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    So I’ve been crashing a lot after games since the patch and turning off the nVidia capture option under Graphics seems to have solved the issue.

Just weird it wasn’t a problem before.

Queue times are still brutal, didn’t play much even though it was double exp.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    something has happened this weekend, i dunno if it was the patch or what but last night i could only get into 2 games. eventually I quit out and played a round of Apex that I got into instantly

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Latest patch broke match making.

• Options
    ya, gg putting out a double xp weekend but no one can get into a game.

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Yeah, definitely got DC'ed mid-match. Had 10k cash, self revive, UAV, loadout. Whole team was alive and then... DISCONNECTED.

UGH!!!!!! Oh well, still got some awesome replays out of it.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    I actually blasted through the new LMG unlock pretty quick thanks to Shipment, before the whole matchmaking issue hit. I found going full mobility and hip fire was much easier than using thermal sights, and helped with the confusion around who needs to be in the smoke, the enemy or me. Doesn't matter if you are both in it!

What's really annoying is the occasional stat tracking issue. Got to the Talon operator or whatever, the guy with the face paint. First challenge was running enemies over, which was perfect because I needed 4 more Little Bird smushes. Took forever to get into a Ground War match, got no kills, next match spent the whole match trying and dying, right before the end I ran over 4 campers on a roof in one swoop. Match ended. Didn't count. Quit for the night.

• Options
    I've got 2 of 15 thank to the ship house they have going on, but ye gods my k/d is suffering.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    monkeykins wrote: »
    I actually blasted through the new LMG unlock pretty quick thanks to Shipment, before the whole matchmaking issue hit. I found going full mobility and hip fire was much easier than using thermal sights, and helped with the confusion around who needs to be in the smoke, the enemy or me. Doesn't matter if you are both in it!

What's really annoying is the occasional stat tracking issue. Got to the Talon operator or whatever, the guy with the face paint. First challenge was running enemies over, which was perfect because I needed 4 more Little Bird smushes. Took forever to get into a Ground War match, got no kills, next match spent the whole match trying and dying, right before the end I ran over 4 campers on a roof in one swoop. Match ended. Didn't count. Quit for the night.

There is like nothing more infuriating than trying to level up a weapon so you can get the good attachments, playing through a whole groundwar or something with a suboptimal gun and none of the points are counted towards unlocks.

• Options
    New weekly challenges. One of mine is "Use Dead Silence field upgrade in 3 matches." Got stuck at 1/3. Won't track that either. Started working on gun camo during kids nap time until I noticed they extended the 2XP. There's that, I guess.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    monkeykins wrote: »

There is like nothing more infuriating than trying to level up a weapon so you can get the good attachments, playing through a whole groundwar or something with a suboptimal gun and none of the points are counted towards unlocks.

Yeah, the one place where I was getting consistent XP and (mostly) consistent challenge tracking was co-op, so over the weekend, I was completing the dailies they added for that mode. While leveling pistols and whatever guns the enemies drop. Good for Battle Pass progress, as well.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Got around to MW2 Remaster and got up to the pleasure of defending the Burger Town all over again.

I completely forgot how fucking stupid some of the setup is. Russia literally posthumously deifies an Ultranationalist arms dealer terrorist after his organization successfully hijacks a nuclear silo and fires two ICBMs at the East Coast of the US while an Army general waxes poetic about American exceptionalism without almost any hint of irony (by the by, in direct contrast thematically to the first game).

The level design is still some of the most intense I've played in a shooter and is far more interesting than the shooting itself but like, the overall tone and script of the game is almost insufferable

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    MW2 is profoundly stupid but the remaster is just so spectacular I love it

Honestly the more outrageous call of duty campaigns get the more I can tolerate them as they sort of exist in a comic book style alternate reality world but instead of super heroes it’s all military and war. The more they try to make a point or have something to say about the real world the more awkward it gets when you like ride missiles into robot hitlers butt or something

Prohass on
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    The stories in the campains are dumb, but the campaigns has some real gems.
    Like the detached comments on you murdering people on the ground from up on in the DC in MW1.
    Or how maybe not preventing civilian deaths for a bigger win might end up with you playing into the bad guys narrative ('No Russian').
    But all people were talking about was how you could murder civilians in MW2 . . . * sad sigh *

• Options
    The story of MW2 is soooooo dumb. Still some great set pieces, imagery and moments.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Black Ops 1 is still peak CoD Campaign for me.

THE NUMBER'S MASON!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MW1, WAW, MW2, BO1, MW3, AW, IW, and WW2 are what I would consider the good campaigns.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    CoD 2 had a pretty good campaign, imo.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I sometimes forgot cods before 4 existed. They are such different games.

• Options
    They put out 10v10 shipment, I can't imagine the clusterfuck that is

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EZ games for the new lmg at least

• Options
    I got my first ever juggernaut on the 10v10 Shipment. It was pretty awesome. Set up a class specifically to get it since I had a season challenge to call one, one of three challenges I had left to complete for the season (2 SnD wins, 50 IAV kills). Domination, Kill Chain, Point Man, Tune Up, Trophy System, UAV, VTOL, Juggernaut. After three kills I found a nice corner near one of the flags (can't remember A or C) and racked up UAV and Trophy points really fast, the VTOL barely helped. Jug drop popped, threw the grenade, died instantly. Luckily I spawned right by the package, picked it up, and just rampaged around for a while.

• Options
    EZ games for the new lmg at least

Especially with how short some of these engagements are. “Huh. Grind again, I guess I have 90 seconds to get three smoke kills with this weaponized boat anchor.”

I’ve been enjoying playing some Boots On The Ground War, to shake things up. But it’s far campier than normal GW. Not that I think that has anything to do with the absence of tanks that aren’t the massively bullet-resistant swoll truck. Except, perhaps, indirectly. For the absence of these track-laying bogeymen has lured in many core mode players, who play it like TDM on Crash.

Good opportunity to work on my AX-50, though. Counter-sniping people who brought their quickscope builds that, I’m sure, worked fine on small maps with short sight lines and negligible bullet drop. Not so much, over these distances.