As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Fresh out of the paint shop! They turned out pretty ok for a tiny 3d print job. They look way better from a couple feet away.
    i see some grass i need to dust off of some crevices.

GKMOBgk.jpg

Edit: proper TT viewing
    https://imgur.com/a/dtgetgr

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I admire your enthusiasm, but those layer lines would drive me to violence if I owned those figs. Just ugh. RAWR! SMASH!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Nips wrote: »
    I admire your enthusiasm, but those layer lines would drive me to violence if I owned those figs. Just ugh. RAWR! SMASH!

It's way worse in that photo. From a normal view with the eye on the table top its not so bad. but yea, I'd definitely prefer a smooth look.

But the price is right, and I can print as many as I want till my hearts content.

kx3klFE.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    So I was trying to think of a paint scheme for the enemy Mercs and then I remember I had given my Catapult a paint job I rather liked.

iGrIP0s.jpg

And so the Eisenkrallenfirma were born!
    2JQVgyc.png

Ugh, do I need to figure out how to print decals. . . sumbitch.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited May 2020
    Decals? You mean like theeeeese?

https://imgur.com/a/adLyN5M

Oh. And on a related note I FINALLY figured out the correct way to dry brush. So now I can base, shade then just go over the top with a brush of the base coat color so they don't look so nasty blotchy and dark while still retain g all them nice panel lines.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    I burn with jealousy.

Please await my formal Batchall for Trial of Possession.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Oh. And on a related note I FINALLY figured out the correct way to dry brush. So now I can base, shade then just go over the top with a brush of the base coat color so they don't look so nasty blotchy and dark while still retain g all them nice panel lines.

OOOH you bought them? How are they? I've been slightly tempted to get a set since I'm lazy and don't want to print my own.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »

OOOH you bought them? How are they? I've been slightly tempted to get a set since I'm lazy and don't want to print my own.

I have yet to put any on. Need to locate my microset as it appears to have vanished. And im trying to figure out a good placement on the catapult.

kx3klFE.png
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular

What's the correct way to dry brush? Uh, asking for a friend,,,

edited May 2020
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

Your... friend... should check out this channel.

https://youtu.be/1LMjHjzuUEM

Edit- admittedly I should start doing this more often myself.

Axen on
    Betsuni wrote: »

I have yet to put any on. Need to locate my microset as it appears to have vanished. And im trying to figure out a good placement on the catapult.

Obviously slapped all over it like a little kid with an unlimited amout of stickers.

Or just on the sides of the two boxes.

Or the back like a butt tattoo...

oosik_betsuni.png
    I’ve been toying with the idea of printing off a keg and glueing it to the back of my Oosik Awesome.

“Yeah sure I had to lose a few heatsinks to make tonnage, but now I’ve enough beer to last for even the longest operations!”

Axen wrote: »
    I’ve been toying with the idea of printing off a keg and glueing it to the back of my Oosik Awesome.

“Yeah sure I had to lose a few heatsinks to make tonnage, but now I’ve enough beer to last for even the longest operations!”

This is the way.

oosik_betsuni.png
    *you take a critical hit... to the keg*

“NOOOOO!”

*hits the eject*

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    *you take a critical hit... to the keg*

“NOOOOO!”

*hits the eject*

You hear a clink as a cold bottle slides out of the cockpit's emergency minifridge. Thank god you had that useless and bulky ejection system removed to make room for it years ago.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    "Oh yeah, I can't do lunar ops either."

"What? Why not?"

"I replaced my life support system with one that dispenses rum and coke."

"My God, why?!"

"Between the two, the rum and coke seemed like the one I'd use more often."

"Jesus Christ! Wait, why are they loading freaking drums of cheese in to your Mech?!"

"Oh good! That's the Cheez Whiz for the fire suppression system. Didn't think it'd get here in time!"

I burn with jealousy.

Please await my formal Batchall for Trial of Possession.

Psst, Axen. Consult your Merchant Caste.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202850089458

I also have them. I also have not yet applied them! I am clearly deficient.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

Your... friend... should check out this channel.

https://youtu.be/1LMjHjzuUEM

Edit- admittedly I should start doing this more often myself.

Ayyyyyyy. Good choice. This is one of the vids I watched yesterday that helped make things click.

https://youtu.be/8T9Twu1ogDQ
    This was a good one too.
    And this one. Layers! Who knew!
    https://youtu.be/S9bDoIMCSfk

Citade has an app too! I don't really use the paints, but the washes are amazing. It helped me understand what steps to do things in and the color guides are fantastic.
    https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Painting-App-ios-2017-eng

I've been painting for a while, but never invested the time to really look and see how things were done properly. It finally all makes sense.

kx3klFE.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    OH MAN I thought I loved the Sentinel before this redesign. Damn that's a neat looking mech!

And the King Crab and Highlander both look sufficiently imposing/intimidating!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Thoughts on Comstar Command Level II redesign sketches:
    • King Crab - eh, I kind of prefer the PGI/HBS version more actually.
    • Highlander - fine, but then the Highlander is kind of a hard one to fuck up, isn't it? Woof, on review, the MWO HGN is quite a bit worse than I remembered, so this is pretty good actually.
    • Black Knight - a bit unambitious, but I like this one
    • Exterminator - doesn't feel all that different, just an update to modern art standards, although the center torso doesn't protrude as much now
    • Sentinel - very different proportions, not as long nor as squat as the old art made it look, but I like it this way
    • Mercury - the torso and shoulders make it look too bulky to me. The Mercury was always a fairly sleek looking light mech IIRC.

None of them are bad, but none of them really stand out to me the way some of the other redesigns have. I like the changes to the Sentinel in particular, but I'm not a fan of this King Crab, nor the Mercury.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited May 2020
    I think for all of these I'm going to withhold final judgement until I see the renders. It's hard to fully get a sense of their thiccness until then.

That said, I think I like the K.Crab. The torso looks a smidge short (like how the existing K.Crab torso looks like a platter; wide and long but narrow in the z-axis), but is getting there. I also like the rounded curves, it matches up well with the existing figure. Sleek but powerful.

I've never been a big fan of the Knight, so it looks fine. Sort of like a dimensionally-corrected version of the existing figure, so okay.

The Highlander I'm a little puzzled by, because the revised IWM sculpt is so freaking good and chonky I don't know why CGL feels like it needs to redraw it again. Seriously, peep this boyo:
    20-5128.jpg
    mxL6AOR.jpg
    73B9ATA.jpg
    ZYBeggJ.jpg

The rest are good and fine, no strong opinions there, but they look really good.

Nips on
    Mercury is kinda doing the DBZ power up pose.

Sentinel looks like a 1920s in shape-out of shape guy. What with the barrel chest and the "pants" being worn way high.

The King Crab looks even beefier now and the past couple of depictions in games had been fairly beefy to begin with. So that's saying something.

The rest all look appropriate. Which is to say they look like how I'd expect them to.

All these designs are pretty good overall IMHO.

Oh, but the Black Knight does need that extra large right shoulder piece that you see in MWO/BATTLETECH. It kinda brings it all together IMO. :razz:

edited May 2020
    So... I was brushing up on the infantry rules in the Alpha Strike CE book. I read the rules passage for mounting/dismounting a unit: infantry spends 2" of movement, but loads up and dismount on the transport units turn. So mount-transport-dismount-combat for the infantry on a turn. It also states dismounting costs no movement for the transport unit.

Now if you read the game play examples box next to it, it goes on to explain the transport uses 2" of movement to load a unit, then moves, then spends another 2" to dismount the unit. Which completely contradicts the rules passage.

Also in this it never explains if the unit needs to be in base contact to mount, or just within under an inch so it technically doesn't use any movement. However, prior movement examples show units using half inches in their movement. It also never states how far units can dismount. Is base contact needed to dismount or just toss them down less than an inch away from the transport?

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    edited May 2020
    There's an errata for the example, not the rules as written. Per the Errata document:
    Transporting Infantry [example text] (p. 39)
    Second paragraph, fourth sentence onwards
    The Maxim has a Move of 16 inches. It spends 4 inches to mount both infantry platoons. The Maxim has 12 inches of Move left
    available.
    Lara moves the Maxim 8 inches straight ahead. She then spends 4 inches of additional Move to dismount both infantry
    platoons. Both platoons may make weapons attacks during the upcoming Combat Phase.
    Change to:
    The infantry move first, saving at least 2 inches of their Move in order to mount the Maxim. After all the infantry have
    mounted, Lara then moves the Maxim up to its Move of 16 inches and then dismounts all the infantry. Both platoons may make
    weapons attacks during the upcoming Combat Phase.

I am presuming that in this example the infantry would need to be in base contact at the start of the turn, because the foot infantry only have 2" of movement to begin with, which is what is required to 'mount' the vehicle. Last I checked there's no magical teleporting in Battletech, but that might be me being a grognard and not RAW.

Nips on
    There's an errata for the example, not the rules as written. Per the Errata document:
    The Maxim has a Move of 16 inches. It spends 4 inches to mount both infantry platoons. The Maxim has 12 inches of Move left
    available.
    Lara moves the Maxim 8 inches straight ahead. She then spends 4 inches of additional Move to dismount both infantry
    platoons. Both platoons may make weapons attacks during the upcoming Combat Phase.
    Change to:
    The infantry move first, saving at least 2 inches of their Move in order to mount the Maxim. After all the infantry have
    mounted, Lara then moves the Maxim up to its Move of 16 inches and then dismounts all the infantry. Both platoons may make

I am presuming that in this example, the infantry would need to be in base contact at the start of the turn, because the foot infantry only have 2" of movement to begin with, which is what is required to 'mount' the vehicle. Last I checked there's no magical teleporting in Battletech, but that might be me being a grognard and not RAW.

And I just found an old version of alpha strike in pdf form. I see where they changed the old rules from the old book (where it says it costs the transport 2" to load/unload) to the new version (where it costs the infantry 2"). So they just goofed on the example in CE.

Curse you catalyst!

kx3klFE.png
    available.
    Change to:

I am presuming that in this example, the infantry would need to be in base contact at the start of the turn, because the foot infantry only have 2" of movement to begin with, which is what is required to 'mount' the vehicle. Last I checked there's no magical teleporting in Battletech, but that might be me being a grognard and not RAW.

And I just found an old version of alpha strike in pdf form. I see where they changed the old rules from the old book (where it says it costs the transport 2" to load/unload) to the new version (where it costs the infantry 2"). So they just goofed on the example in CE.

Curse you catalyst!

First rule of CGL rulebooks:

Always check for errata.

Something about this current redesign of the Sentinel was giving me a bit of a vibe. Something I'd read somewhere. So I went digging a little and I think the -3Lb "Royal" Sentinel is a pre-cursor to the Shadow Cat.
    STN-3Lb
    The Royal version of the Sentinel featured a significantly upgraded weapon load-out, mounting a Gauss Rifle in place of the autocannon and a Medium Laser in place of the Streak rack, retaining the small laser. To handle the weight of the Gauss Rifle, it was almost entirely rebuilt using a XL engine and Endo-Steel structure, with the one and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous plate enhancing its protection.

Like, if it had upgraded the Small laser to another Medium, that's basically an IS Shadow Cat, just armed backwards.

Who was it that was loving all up on the Shadow Cat and wanted to pilot something similar for the Oosik's?

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Not I, but that's a cool catch, Tox.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Tox wrote: »
    Something about this current redesign of the Sentinel was giving me a bit of a vibe. Something I'd read somewhere. So I went digging a little and I think the -3Lb "Royal" Sentinel is a pre-cursor to the Shadow Cat.
    STN-3Lb
    The Royal version of the Sentinel featured a significantly upgraded weapon load-out, mounting a Gauss Rifle in place of the autocannon and a Medium Laser in place of the Streak rack, retaining the small laser. To handle the weight of the Gauss Rifle, it was almost entirely rebuilt using a XL engine and Endo-Steel structure, with the one and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous plate enhancing its protection.

Like, if it had upgraded the Small laser to another Medium, that's basically an IS Shadow Cat, just armed backwards.

Who was it that was loving all up on the Shadow Cat and wanted to pilot something similar for the Oosik's?

I could only remember Fruit Cup so searched and it is @Fuselage .

oosik_betsuni.png
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    T'was I!

Edit: That's really cool, especially seeing their sketch compared to the originals from Sarna.net. The 'mech seems great, but in some ways I'm glad I jumped on the dropship pilot for my character, first. As much as I like hearing about the MechWarrior/Battletech adventures, I'm rarely ever part of them. Perfect for a pilot that's only there for a minute.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    I am pretty happy with how this turned out. Like, it turned out better than I was even secretly hoping for.

V6pqutA.jpg

edited May 2020
    Awesome job! But it loses points for literally being aligned to a hex corner.

My OCD is over here, just beside itself, apoplectic.

Nips on
    Awesome job! But it loses points for literally being aligned to a hex corner.

My OCD is over here, just beside itself, apoplectic.

Well, not beside itself. Just about 60° off-center, facing a different way

I am pretty happy with how this turned out. Like, it turned out better than I was even secretly hoping for.

V6pqutA.jpg

Very nice pint job. but I'm MORE than curious on how you got such a amazing print on the Atlas.

kx3klFE.png
    That one is actually part of a Lance I ordered from eBay. Been satisfied with the quality so far from the seller.

I did however just yesterday complete my first (successful) Resin print. I had 3 more before it that had flaws, but since I was going to use them for generic OpFor it was fine.

I’ll post a pic of the good one later today. Haven’t primed it yet, so I’ll likely do a before and after.

So what timing, since i was going to buy some anyway, https://steelwarriorstudios.com/ is having a 25% off sale on the stl files.
    code: TIMETOPRINT

kx3klFE.png
    edited May 2020
    So I haven't yet decided just how I'm going to paint my Resin print, so here is the before pic. With some extras.
    Q1g3816.jpg
    The Kintaro came out pretty good. At least no obvious faults in printing. After it is primed all the details are going to pop.

Tvwh3tw.jpg
    Vindicator, Valkyrie, pair of Jenners. These were my first proper prints. The left fists on the Vindicator and Valkyrie came out malformed. One of the Jenners was my very first and wasn't printed at the highest detail I can do (as it turned out). Still, it honestly doesn't look any different unless you get up real close. The other Jenner was fine, then I clipped a support off and took a little chunk of hip with it. These guys are just generic OpFor though, so they will still serve.

3cMlnxA.jpg
    State of the battlefield! This is, at present, everything I've got finished and painted. Not shown are the five unpainted Mechs, two in the oven and four vehicles awaiting paint. I've not been able to print more terrain because getting Hatchbox filament is now impossible. I'm unsure what else is good, but I've tried a couple brands and the Hatchbox was the only one that didn't string like mad. Gonna roll the dice on some Polymaker PLA, which I've heard good things about.

Luckily I'm still working during the lockdown, but even after work I ain't got shit to do. So I've been doing this and having a fucking blast!

edit- I did experiment with resin printing a pair of Scorpions. I had been using the FDM to print vehicles. My verdict? Eh, may as well stick with FDM. The resin was more detailed, but only just. In fact when I was trying to compare the resin printed Scorpion and the FDM printed Scorpion (after they were painted) I, uh, mixed them up and couldn't tell the difference at first. The bottom of them was the give away. :razz:

Plus with my FDM printer I can print, like, twelve vehicles at a time.

edit 2- Also, my Capellan paint scheme is now my generic OpFor paint scheme. They'll still be Capellans in my campaign, but in the future they could be anything. So I decided to give these brave mooks a proper name; The Gene Ricop 4th Regiment.

Hailing from the planet Gene Ricop in the. . . uh, hm. Doesn't seem to say what system that planet is in. Weird. Anyway, the Gene Ricop 4th Regiment has fought on- wait this can't be right. . . all the battlefields? What? Ahem, moving on, the Regiment has distinguished themselves, uh, apparently not at all? Despite having, seemingly against all probability, been present for nearly every major engagement (sometimes even on both sides) the Unit hasn't seemed to have left much of an impact. If anything their most distinguishing trait seems to be their uncanny ability to be so forgettable.

Axen on
    No Hatchbox available? Shiiiiiit. I'm almost down to my last spool.

kx3klFE.png
    Tox wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Where's the Dragon

Should be in one of the next 2 design updates they post, if they're doing them in order

They appear to not be doing them in the order I thought they were! Sad! Hopefully soon, though. I am excited to see the Dragon. Although I believe that was among the last couple of 'mech packs announced, so it does make some sense it'd be the last ones we see.

fakeedit: Yeah it looks like the only pack they made after that was the Clan Ad-Hoc Star, which was basically all 'mechs they'd already planned for previous packs but replaced, so we should see that one before the IS Support Lance. Haven't seen any glimpses of any of them yet, though.

Since this was a ComStar week, my guess is we'll probably get the Clan Striker Star (which looks like the last one of those), then probably Com Star Battle Level II, then IS Support, then Clan Ad Hoc, which should be all of them at that point. Of course, that's just sketches, and I'll guess there'll be at least one more non-mech update (maps or something), so it'll probably be around mid-June by the time we see the Dragon