As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Finished up Southern Elsweyr and the epilogue, that was a huge improvement over Elsweyr imo. Not that Elsweyr was bad, exactly, it just wasn't as good as anything else recent, while S. Elsweyr I'd probably put up near the top.

I think I'm going to give up on the Psijic spammable. I feel like I have the timing down, though maybe a bit looser than it could be, and it'll work fine for a bit, but sometimes it just stops light attacking without my changing anything so I just do the pose over and over. Even when I stop hitting the button and am only clicking for a LA.

Probably the same super-short lag spikes I see on the ping chart when I play PoE because my internet is garbage. I could work around it by only hitting EW when I see the LA animation, but 1. watching that close makes it hard to do anything else and 2. the less I cancel, the more the advantage of EW will erode anyway.

Positive thought: This means I don't really have to level Psijic on anything else. Half the magicka builds I'm seeing use Barbed Trap for Minor Force instead of Channeled Acceleration anyway.

I've gone back now to work on Murkmire, since I apparently never did it. I think I remember why I was sort of hesitant to get into it before...I feel genuine discomfort traipsing through the swamp, imagining the damp and the humidity and the bugs the size of small dogs...

But it seems pretty interesting thus far.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Finished up Southern Elsweyr and the epilogue, that was a huge improvement over Elsweyr imo. Not that Elsweyr was bad, exactly, it just wasn't as good as anything else recent, while S. Elsweyr I'd probably put up near the top.

I think I'm going to give up on the Psijic spammable. I feel like I have the timing down, though maybe a bit looser than it could be, and it'll work fine for a bit, but sometimes it just stops light attacking without my changing anything so I just do the pose over and over. Even when I stop hitting the button and am only clicking for a LA.

Probably the same super-short lag spikes I see on the ping chart when I play PoE because my internet is garbage. I could work around it by only hitting EW when I see the LA animation, but 1. watching that close makes it hard to do anything else and 2. the less I cancel, the more the advantage of EW will erode anyway.

Positive thought: This means I don't really have to level Psijic on anything else. Half the magicka builds I'm seeing use Barbed Trap for Minor Force instead of Channeled Acceleration anyway.

I've gone back now to work on Murkmire, since I apparently never did it. I think I remember why I was sort of hesitant to get into it before...I feel genuine discomfort traipsing through the swamp, imagining the damp and the humidity and the bugs the size of small dogs...

Murkmire has some REALLY good lore about Argonians, and I absolutely love how they clear up the way Argonians view Sithis vs the rest of the world. For them, he's more like Shiva in Hinduism, a being who incites change through destruction so new life can grow.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

Murkmire has some REALLY good lore about Argonians, and I absolutely love how they clear up the way Argonians view Sithis vs the rest of the world. For them, he's more like Shiva in Hinduism, a being who incites change through destruction so new life can grow.

You want something really mind-blowing?

The "Sithis" that Argonians revere (or at least, that appears in their myths and stories) might possibly be something other than the Sithis as the rest of Tamriel understand it, i.e. as Padomay, the entity of pure chaos/limitation whose existence along with Anu/Anuriel (the entity of pure unchanging order/potential) led to the creation of the Aedra and Daedra, the Ehlnofay that make up the Earthbones (i.e. the laws of physics/reality within Mundus) and literally everything else that exists within The Aurbus.

Rather, if you take Sithis as being the Shadow of Atakota from the story Children of the Root, found in Murkmire, and then the entities that the another in-game book called The Monomyth (which I think is in pieces in ESO, but has been around since Morrowind) claims to show up in every creation myth in Tamriel, and try to figure out who is which, the being that the Shadow of Atakota best lines up with is with the being known as The Missing God, or by their better known name, Lorkhan.

You know, the god that most elven religions blame for ending the eternity that existed before the mortal world, and most human religions venerate as Sheor or Shor, being the reason the mortal world (and by extension, you know, all mortal kind) exists in the first place? Whose Heart in this time period sits within Red Mountain? THAT Lorkhan?

Granted, there are several other stories and myths that also claim Lorkhan to be of Sithis, or at least more of Sithis than of Anuriel, so...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2020
    I think the many interpretations of Lorkhan is one of my favorite things in TES.

Oops I wrote a novel going into it, spoilered to spare you the scroll.
    As I understand it, Sithis is an incarnation of Padomay (Chaos and Change primordial deity/energy). And Lorkhan is in turn a creation or incarnation of Sithis that was supposed to go destabilize or destroy or maybe just change the stagnant stuff the Anuic counterparts (Anui-El and Auri-El) were up to (unchanging timeless spirits). Lorkhan's intentions in the creation of Mundus (positive or negative, as Sithis wished(assuming it's sapient) or just to create, etc) are a matter of debate.

There's a lot of duality stuff around Lorkhan, even within individual religions.

Like some of the new Khajiit stuff.

Later Khajiit mostly seem to think of Lorkhaj as the Moon Beast, the darkness torn out of the void left in Moon Prince Lorkhaj's chest after his siblings tore out his (already itself dark) heart to punish him for his role into creation. But apparently some older Khajiit held that Azurah preserved the Moon Prince's true spirit after his body died and that he and the Moon Beast exist as separate entities as the same time, the Moon Prince is just harder to interact with. The Moon Beast wanders around trying to eat Khajiit who wander too far from the lunar lattice

The Redguard version, Sep, is actually kind of similar to the Khajiit version.

"Sep is born when Tall Papa creates someone to help him regulate the spirit trade. Sep, though, is driven crazy by the hunger of Satakal, and he convinces some of the gods to help him make an easier alternative to the Walkabout. This, of course, is the world as we know it, and the spirits who followed Sep become trapped here, to live out their lives as mortals. Sep is punished by Tall Papa for his transgressions, but his hunger lives on as a void in the stars, a 'non-space' that tries to upset mortal entry into the Far Shores"

Interesting that two (edit: three, apparently the Nedes have the same thing) unrelated Tamrielic religions have a cast-off remnant of Lorkhan trying to stop them from reaching the afterlife.

I suppose Shor (Nord Lorkhan) was missing from Sovngarde in TES:V because he was out screwing up the afterlife for non-Nords. Honestly this is sort of on-brand for a Nord deity. (actually, this fits the Khajiit variation where the 'true spirit' of Lorkhaj was sent to Aetherius while the dark part went to become the Moon Beast)

Bretons have him as the source of all strife, Sheor, though apparently that's just a half-assed repurposing of a crop failure god. Bretons always get the short end of the lore stick.

The Imperial Shezarr is just Shor but more abstract and contradictory because they're trying to make a universally palatable pantheon.

Altmer hate Lorkhan for tricking the Aedra into trapping the awesome spirits in dumb mortal bodies and think he's a wholly malicious entity trying to ruin everything.

Bosmer don't really care, since they tend to think of creation more in terms of Y'ffre shaping them than what Lorkhan did. And they have that whole admiration for tricksters thing anyway.

Dunmer seem alright with him but maybe in a masochistic way because Dunmer have the whole 'Testing' thing.

Orcs supposedly exist because Trinimac, who hated Lorkhan more than most (he's the one that cut his Heart out), got (probably not literally) eaten by Boethia and shat out as Malacath, changing Trinimac's followers. I've seen a decent argument that the phrasing of some of the stories could indicate Boethia somehow made Trinimac feel doubt or even guilt and the contradiction eventually lead to Malacath.

Even outside of religious interpretations of Lorkhan, the Shezzarine (mortal incarnations of Shezzar/Lorkhan) Pelinal is known as much for that period of time where he lost it and was a genocidal maniac as he is for his heroics.

All of it actually makes me wonder if, assuming there is a 'right answer' with the way myths work in the series, it's that Lorkhan may have benign intentions but with an uncontrollable dark streak as part of his nature. Whether that dark streak is a separate entity at this point or if that's just religious metaphors...who knows.

Kamar on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    varen can you make up your mind please

edited May 2020
    Finally feel comfortable enough with my gear and skills to start doing random daily and undaunted dungeon runs. Mainly running tank because tankin' is my thing.

Probably facetanking more hits than I should, but with all the flashy shit going on I can barely see the AoEs or the bash/block tells. Luckily being a Dragonknight I can go whatevs and activate Magma Shell if thinks start to go sideways.

Also got my first master writ. Legendary leather helm of a style that's from a trial...

Challenge accepted.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    just hit 50, now to grind to 160 cp

PiptheFair wrote: »
    just hit 50, now to grind to 160 cp

You should have a pretty sizable amount of Enlightenment XP banked from all the time you played sub-50. It was enough for me to make the first 100 or so a breeze.

steam_sig.png
    I now know the true Tank Pain.

I go for a Random Veteran Dungeon. Zone into one of the easiest Vet dungeons in the game -- Banished Cells.

I, the tank, sit around for *literally an hour* at *one fucking boss*, going "So u h, I have the aggro... ... you guys gonna get to killing? At some point?"

Healer is doing great, we're fine

I'm doing my job

DPS: V:

at one point, one of the DPS, to me: "WHY IS UR DMG SO LOW"

Me: Sir, this is a Wendys I am a tank.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Hello! I'm playing this now while FF14 goes through a content lull. Dabbled a bit in beta but never caught on until now.

Made a Brit Templar that I'm leveling through Morrowind as a Mag DPS/Side Healer, currently lvl 13. I'll probably respec into a stronger healer build once I get higher.

It's been fun. doing a lot of exploring and running around the public dungeons. I haven't done an instance yet, hopfully the early one won't need a full on healer build.

I also used some Crowns to buy a pretty dress.
    LOna7ur.png

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    I now know the true Tank Pain.

I go for a Random Veteran Dungeon. Zone into one of the easiest Vet dungeons in the game -- Banished Cells.

I, the tank, sit around for *literally an hour* at *one fucking boss*, going "So u h, I have the aggro... ... you guys gonna get to killing? At some point?"

Healer is doing great, we're fine

I'm doing my job

DPS: V:

at one point, one of the DPS, to me: "WHY IS UR DMG SO LOW"

Me: Sir, this is a Wendys I am a tank.

Just wait untill you get paired up with an idiot who spams heavy attack with an ice staff, *then* you will know true tank pain.

steam_sig.png
    Foefaller wrote: »

Just wait until you get paired up with an idiot who spams heavy attack with an ice staff, *then* you will know true tank pain.

I honestly wish they'd come up with a different weapon line altogether for "Magic Ranged Tank," or otherwise made that trait optional instead of tied into the other two damage types on Destro staff, or... something. I feel the pain of people who really want to be DPS Ice Magic. I do! You wanna be a thematic ice mage guy! But at the same time having a ranged Taunt that actually *restores* resources instead of using them up is stupid useful. Mostly, I wish there was an optional way to go "Heavy attacks with *any* ranged weapon now Taunt" so that one could be a Bow tank or use Lightning staff both for Lightning Wall (to proc Off-Balance for DPS using Exploiter) AND for taunt. Or a way to *optionally* toggle off the Taunt on Ice Staff so that people can go be the DPS Nord Warden Ice Mage they've always wanted to be.

I also hate it when DPS just charge way ahead of me and aggro groups, because the way aggro works in this game is "person who hit first" followed by "person doing the most damage" as far as I can tell. If I at least hit first (initiate with Wall of Frost to slow things down) that gives me time to taunt multiples with stabs *and* gives the DPS time to kill before they get fully aggro'd. If the DPS just runs ahead ham it's like noo buddy

I also hate it when DPS just charge way ahead of me and aggro groups, because the way aggro works in this game is "person who hit first" followed by "person doing the most damage" as far as I can tell. If I at least hit first (initiate with Wall of Frost to slow things down) that gives me time to taunt multiples with stabs *and* gives the DPS time to kill before they get fully aggro'd. If the DPS just runs ahead ham it's like noo buddy

That's when you stand back and let the idiot wipe on their "solo attempt." :twisted:

steam_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Just wait until you get paired up with an idiot who spams heavy attack with an ice staff, *then* you will know true tank pain.

I honestly wish they'd come up with a different weapon line altogether for "Magic Ranged Tank," or otherwise made that trait optional instead of tied into the other two damage types on Destro staff, or... something. I feel the pain of people who really want to be DPS Ice Magic. I do! You wanna be a thematic ice mage guy! But at the same time having a ranged Taunt that actually *restores* resources instead of using them up is stupid useful. Mostly, I wish there was an optional way to go "Heavy attacks with *any* ranged weapon now Taunt" so that one could be a Bow tank or use Lightning staff both for Lightning Wall (to proc Off-Balance for DPS using Exploiter) AND for taunt. Or a way to *optionally* toggle off the Taunt on Ice Staff so that people can go be the DPS Nord Warden Ice Mage they've always wanted to be.

One of my biggest sadnesses about this game is not being able to go full dps Elsa with a frost staff. So few games let you have good fun with ice magic and then this one almost gets there and yanks the rug out from under you by turning you into a tank. :(

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?

One of my biggest sadnesses about this game is not being able to go full dps Elsa with a frost staff. So few games let you have good fun with ice magic and then this one almost gets there and yanks the rug out from under you by turning you into a tank. :(

Lighting staff backbar with all your AoE for some thundersnow?

steam_sig.png
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I went out looking for a Mundus stone and it really reminded me of the Everquest days. Go to This Zone. Travel Across Zone to Second Zone. Travel That Zone to City with the right boat to another Zone. Travel That Zone to the Stone.

Heard you can fast travel with another player to skip all that, but it was a nice ride on my own. Also found all the skyshards in Marrowind. Now I have an option to buy the skill points for future characters. Interesting system.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited May 2020
    I just had my first run through Scalecaller Peak, and I feel like I need to rant about something:

I dunno if it speaks well about me or poorly about others, but I'm having a *lot* of dungeon runs where, despite my first time in most of them, I'm picking up on most of the mechanics pretty much immediately, yet at least two other players always seem to be blissfully unaware about what trick or mechanic keeps F'ing them over, even when told about it post-wipe.

I mean, yeah it's normal mode, so I'm not expecting everyone to be more than just below "mildly competent," much less someone who's been doing dungeons since the first days of WoW like me, but when there is actually a guy yelling at us to kill imps so he can make the antidote and start the burn phase, maybe you should start killing the fucking imps, HUH!?

I'm the tank, I don't have the dps to do it myself and even then I need to stick close to this guy to bash him before he knocks out the antidote guy!

Luckily, I'm more bemused than angry, because it only took one extra attempt (though I'm pretty sure I had to rez everyone at least twice, partly thanks to the healer being the most oblivious of the lot, and therefore often the first to go down.) Same with the final boss, only two attempts... even with the healer insisting on always trying to heal through the big nuke instead of running for Spellbreaker. >_<

Though I came into the dungeon after they had already cleared up to the first boss, having lost their previous tank. After everything that happened afterwards, I was afraid to ask how many attempts it was before they bailed...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2020
    I just had my first run through Scalecaller Peak, and I feel like I need to rant about something:

I dunno if it speaks well about me or poorly about others, but I'm having a *lot* of dungeon runs where, despite my first time in most of them, I'm picking up on most of the mechanics pretty much immediately, yet at least two other players always seem to be blissfully unaware about what trick or mechanic keeps F'ing them over, even when told about it post-wipe.

I mean, yeah it's normal mode, so I'm not expecting everyone to be more than just below "mildly competent," much less someone who's been doing dungeons since the first days of WoW like me, but when there is actually a guy yelling at us to kill imps so he can make the antidote and start the burn phase, maybe you should start killing the fucking imps, HUH!?

I'm the tank, I don't have the dps to do it myself and even then I need to stick close to this guy to bash him before he knocks out the antidote guy!

Luckily, I'm more bemused than angry, because it only took one extra attempt (though I'm pretty sure I had to rez everyone at least twice, partly thanks to the healer being the most oblivious of the lot, and therefore often the first to go down.) Same with the final boss, only two attempts... even with the healer insisting on always trying to heal through the big nuke instead of running for Spellbreaker. >_<

Though I came into the dungeon after they had already cleared up to the first boss, having lost their previous tank. After everything that happened afterwards, I was afraid to ask how many attempts it was before they bailed...

I am pretty fucking stupid when it comes to mechanics, but a.) I usually try to ask about mechanics before I go in ("Hey, haven't done this one in a while / Hey, this is my first time here") and b.) if I'm wiping I pay the fuck attention

And I encounter the same goddamn issue. I go "Hey, I don't know the mechanics. Could someone explain?" and I get screamed at for not knowing what to do, or I go "Hey, I looked up the mechanics ON THE INTERNET, here is LITERALLY WHAT YOU DO" only to have people ignore me

Had that latter problem recently in White Gold Tower like HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO EXPLAIN WHICH THINGS ARE INSTANT DEATH.

*edit* I know we're like, never on at the same time, but I do have a decent DPS DK, if you ever wanna at least have one person who isn't stupid. Or who's only mostly stupid. Caveat being only DLC dungeons I have access to are WGT and Imp City Prison (I'm not subbed)

Lucid_Seraph on
    edited May 2020
    I hope they update vampire skins in some way with Greymoor, and/or put a 'look normal' or 'look like any particular level of vampire' thing on the cash shop, cuz I don't do group content so I'll never get a decent not-over-the-top skin and vampire looks varying levels of dire at most stages for most races.

edit: Research suggests vampires look worse than ever in Greymoor and have blood-splattered effects that display over the top of your skins now, so like, the opposite of that. Cool.

double edit: Though it also looks like they're a mini-class with drawbacks like werewolf now, rather than something you strap to literally any other class for a buff, so if it's stupid looking at least I won't feel like I'm missing out on too much by curing myself. Though I'll miss the occasional unique dialogue if I do that...

Kamar on
    edited May 2020
    I hope they update vampire skins in some way with Greymoor, and/or put a 'look normal' or 'look like any particular level of vampire' thing on the cash shop, cuz I don't do group content so I'll never get a decent not-over-the-top skin and vampire looks varying levels of dire at most stages for most races.

edit: Research suggests vampires look worse than ever in Greymoor and have blood-splattered effects that display over the top of your skins now, so like, the opposite of that. Cool.

double edit: Though it also looks like they're a mini-class with drawbacks like werewolf now, rather than something you strap to literally any other class for a buff, so if it's stupid looking at least I won't feel like I'm missing out on too much by curing myself. Though I'll miss the occasional unique dialogue if I do that...

listen the only Vampire buff I give a fuck about is "move at normal speed while stealthed" and if that goes away I'm done V:

*edit* BECAUSE I would prefer to stack the two Reduce Radius buffs from armor *with* the increase speed buff from Vamp, and you can't have your cake and eat it too unless you're a vamp.

Lucid_Seraph on

listen the only Vampire buff I give a fuck about is "move at normal speed while stealthed" and if that goes away I'm done V:

*edit* BECAUSE I would prefer to stack the two Reduce Radius buffs from armor *with* the increase speed buff from Vamp, and you can't have your cake and eat it too unless you're a vamp.

Good news! Not only is that still in, they're getting a new passive where they'll turn invis by sprinting long enough!

But Supernatural Recovery getting scrapped and Vamp stages increasing the cost of non-vamp stages (unless you use the transformation ult morph that removes the drawbacks) pretty much destroys its place as being the must-have curse for most tank and healer builds.

steam_sig.png

Good news! Not only is that still in, they're getting a new passive where they'll turn invis by sprinting long enough!

But Supernatural Recovery getting scrapped and Vamp stages increasing the cost of non-vamp stages (unless you use the transformation ult morph that removes the drawbacks) pretty much destroys its place as being the must-have curse for most tank and healer builds.

Honestly, I think that's a good thing, and they're probably doing it on purpose. Vamp and Werewolf should be neat niche gimmicks in addition to whatever you're doing, possibly even for roleplay purposes, not "an absolutely necessary thing that you better be using if you want to be Meta, scrub."

Also, now that I've looked up the changes, I actually really like them. They do what I said -- give you some niche options that are cool and fun and flavorful, but aren't totally necessary for gameplay. And I really like that they invert the feeding thing -- you gotta feed to get stronger (it was very weird to me that feeding actually made you weaker???) AND it looks like the Dark Stalker passive just happens and doesn't require you to be at any more than stage 1. And... all that really fits with my Dark Brotherhood Khajiit vampire, I'll just still be sad that she doesn't look like a proper siamese cat because apparently becoming a vampire bleaches all your fur.

How prepared should I be gear/skill wise before I do veteran non-DLC dungeons? I have one full set of tank gear and a few 2/5 and 3/5 sets, but none of them are exactly meta. I've also gotten about 90% of the active skills and 80% of the passives for the build I'm looking at, but it's missing a big sustain skill in Balance (though I could probably get the base skill fairly quickly since I'm a Mages Guild daily + lorebook away from Rank 8.)

steam_sig.png
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    How prepared should I be gear/skill wise before I do veteran non-DLC dungeons? I have one full set of tank gear and a few 2/5 and 3/5 sets, but none of them are exactly meta. I've also gotten about 90% of the active skills and 80% of the passives for the build I'm looking at, but it's missing a big sustain skill in Balance (though I could probably get the base skill fairly quickly since I'm a Mages Guild daily + lorebook away from Rank 8.)

I'm at CP 380 or so. I have a 5/5 gear set that's all purple. I have had no problem tanking most non-DLC dungeons on veteran mode. It's just a little bit more "don't stand in the red circles" than before.

edited May 2020
    I never actually got more than like a quest into Thieves Guild before, so I'm going through that, and while the main quest and team member quests are quite good, the stealth and stealing mechanics are absolutely dreadful and being forced to engage with them to advance the line for more main quests is torture.

A double radius reduction set khajiit in leather is still basically doomed to be seen nonstop by everything, nevermind trying to do it while navigating around touchy traps and stealth canceling circles and the truly atrocious fixed-percentage pickpocketing.

But the character is also a nightblade, so I can just hit invisibility every three seconds and run full tilt (especially with concealed weapon slotted) completely unseen from level 1 with zero drawbacks. This actually annoys me more than fighting the stealth, because what's even the point of the stealth and me going and getting those sets, ugn.

Anyway, ESO's actual gameplay being a bit of a janky chore isn't exactly a new take from me, just the thieving stuff really stands out as poor. Still better than normal Elder Scrolls gameplay, at least.

edit: Though, despite my complaints about stealth I quite enjoyed most level design for the Dark Brotherhood stuff which I did first on this character, I couldn't care at all about a bunch of generic murder cultists (they're ALL just 'Race+Murder Cult' with nothing else going on) outside of the Nord werewolf girl. (I feel weird doing these quests usually for RP reasons, so I made a throwaway character to do them all starting from level 1. Then I can do the MSQ and just reason that it's a Face Turn or whatever instead of just a weird psychopathic vacation from selfless heroism).

Kamar on
    edited May 2020
    I never actually got more than like a quest into Thieves Guild before, so I'm going through that, and while the main quest and team member quests are quite good, the stealth and stealing mechanics are absolutely dreadful and being forced to engage with them to advance the line for more main quests is torture.

A double radius reduction set khajiit in leather is still basically doomed to be seen nonstop by everything, nevermind trying to do it while navigating around touchy traps and stealth canceling circles and the truly atrocious fixed-percentage pickpocketing.

But the character is also a nightblade, so I can just hit invisibility every three seconds and run full tilt (especially with concealed weapon slotted) completely unseen from level 1 with zero drawbacks. This actually annoys me more than fighting the stealth, because what's even the point of the stealth and me going and getting those sets, ugn.

Anyway, ESO's actual gameplay being a bit of a janky chore isn't exactly a new take from me, just the thieving stuff really stands out as poor. Still better than normal Elder Scrolls gameplay, at least.

edit: Though, despite my complaints about stealth I quite enjoyed most level design for the Dark Brotherhood stuff which I did first on this character, I couldn't care at all about a bunch of generic murder cultists (they're ALL just 'Race+Murder Cult' with nothing else going on) outside of the Nord werewolf girl. (I feel weird doing these quests usually for RP reasons, so I made a throwaway character to do them all starting from level 1. Then I can do the MSQ and just reason that it's a Face Turn or whatever instead of just a weird psychopathic vacation from selfless heroism).

So, little trick that I found out first doing thieves guild heists.

You can abandon them in the middle of the mission to reset the timer. This also resets the locations of the "Hidden Treasures." Leaving the Cistern will reset the primary loot location as well.

However, some thing, like the champ guard that spawns after collecting everything or the objectives on that one heist where you are looking for a bunch of hidden gemstones, you have to wait until the instance gets despawned, which normally takes about 5-10 minutes (which is also nessisary if you want the patrols to reset to their default pattern.)

Took judicious advantage of this the first few times I did each heist untill I completed the bonus objective, now I can usually get it done on my first try, and I'm on my main who is a DK in tank gear with only invis pots to help with the sneaking.

Key is knowing the patrols and secret passages on each map. Not only does it help in knowing which places are safe to hide, but it also means knowing when you can stop sneaking and instead sprint and save time in travel that might get used up hiding or lost from getting detected.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png

So, little trick that I found out first doing thieves guild heists.

You can abandon them in the middle of the mission to reset the timer. This also resets the locations of the "Hidden Treasures." Leaving the Cistern will reset the primary loot location as well.

However, some thing, like the champ guard that spawns after collecting everything or the objectives on that one heist where you are looking for a bunch of hidden gemstones, you have to wait until the instance gets despawned, which normally takes about 5-10 minutes (which is also nessisary if you want the patrols to reset to their default pattern.)

Took judicious advantage of this the first few times I did each heist untill I completed the bonus objective, now I can usually get it done on my first try, and I'm on my main who is a DK in tank gear with only invis pots to help with the sneaking.

Key is knowing the patrols and secret passages on each map. Not only does it help in knowing which places are safe to hide, but it also means knowing when you can stop sneaking and instead sprint and save time in travel that might get used up hiding or lost from getting detected.

This. It really is about going slowly and learning patrol patterns.

As for the potion: Namira's Rot + Blue Entoloma + Blessed Thistle = Invisibility AND speed.

Personally, I love Heists (and Black Sacraments from Dark Brotherhood). It's nice to have a game mode that's more about being methodical and careful instead of just blowing the everloving shit up out of everything as fast as you can (not that the latter isn't fun too)

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I really like ESO, but they haven't done enough to bring me back from a long absence. I really liked the expansions before Elsweyr, but the necromancer class felt like it wasn't really a necromancer to me.

Greymoor looks to be even worse, with the new stuff not really doing much to entice me to play again. The additions don't really seem exciting for me, personally.

I would much rather have them add more PVP content, and the artificer doesn't sound that exciting.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Roe wrote: »
    I really like ESO, but they haven't done enough to bring me back from a long absence. I really liked the expansions before Elsweyr, but the necromancer class felt like it wasn't really a necromancer to me.

Greymoor looks to be even worse, with the new stuff not really doing much to entice me to play again. The additions don't really seem exciting for me, personally.

I would much rather have them add more PVP content, and the artificer doesn't sound that exciting.

Honestly the thing that sold me on Greymoor was the Antiquities thing, but that's because I really enjoy content that's more about exploration and taking your time.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I'm taking a "break" right now after my grind to CP160 (actually CP200 now). I'm logging in to get my daily rewards and update my research. When I do come back to play I'll likely only play my Sorc for the purposes of working on crafting, but outside of that I'll be leveling a new character. Likely a tank since I can craft it tip top gear every 10 levels which will help with the slow leveling a bit.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I'm going to have to dedicate a day or two just to treasure maps and surveys at some point.

It seems that I've collected over 30 of them without being aware of it, not including the duplicates in the bank from alts.

steam_sig.png
    Hit CP 300 today, so now I can queue for Veteran DLC dungeons and start getting cheevos and style pages from them. (and purple gear too, I guess)

Also did some Imperial City. Drake of Blades is an awesome character, but some of the quests are a pain, not necessarily due to other alliance players showing up to ruin my day (though that happens) but more because the stat changes and whatnot from being in a PvP zone means things I should be able to solo I'm not because healing's almost halved and my CP bonuses are disabled.

steam_sig.png
    Hit CP 300 today, so now I can queue for Veteran DLC dungeons and start getting cheevos and style pages from them. (and purple gear too, I guess)

Also did some Imperial City. Drake of Blades is an awesome character, but some of the quests are a pain, not necessarily due to other alliance players showing up to ruin my day (though that happens) but more because the stat changes and whatnot from being in a PvP zone means things I should be able to solo I'm not because healing's almost halved and my CP bonuses are disabled.

Isn't there a Campaign where CP bonuses *are* active? There used to be, and that used to be where most people would do Imp City.

Anyway Imp City is better with friends, so maybe we should do it together? I still need to finish the quests myself.

Isn't there a Campaign where CP bonuses *are* active? There used to be, and that used to be where most people would do Imp City.

Anyway Imp City is better with friends, so maybe we should do it together? I still need to finish the quests myself.

There is, but I didn't think having to fend off CP810's was fun. Just didn't realize how much the mere 300ish I have were contributing to my PvE success.

Hilariously, after that post I ran into a few randos and we did all the WBs in the DC part of the sewers (while being EP) and claimed all skyshards there and on the surface. We even managed to somehow spawn and defeat the Simulacrum in the center sewers region, even though it was a net loss in stones for how many times we died. Still have about 3 more Drake of Blades quests though, so I'd be up for more IC next time we're on at the same time.

steam_sig.png
    In other news, I hope you like login queues x_X

edited May 2020

Today is Greymoor day, after all.

Is it wrong that one of the things I like the most about this update is the new character select backgrounds, not because it looks amazing, but because my elven AD characters have better lighting that doesn't make them look older?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png

Today is Greymoor day, after all.

Is it wrong that one of the things I like the most about this update is the new character select backgrounds, not because it looks amazing, but because my elven AD characters have better lighting that doesn't make them look older?

I kinda miss having different character select bgs, but also, same.

(now give me a way that --- look I'll even accept Red Eyes and other vampire nonsense, bUT LET MY KHAJIIT HAVE HER SPOTS *

*... okay, she was a siamese point. And, technically, siamese points are based on kitty temperature. this does not excuse how shitty Redguards look, or destroying tiger-y Khajiit.)

I love that I wasn't able to log in today to do my daily stuff because I didn't have 40 minutes to waste sitting in a queue.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    ok team new questions

1) who do I message to get a guild invite that list in the OP is six thousand miles long (PC)
    2) I like sorcerer but I wanna use a sword I think am I gonna suck shit

edited May 2020
    T4CT wrote: »
    ok team new questions

1) who do I message to get a guild invite that list in the OP is six thousand miles long (PC)
    2) I like sorcerer but I wanna use a sword I think am I gonna suck shit

There's more than one guild... @Lucid_Seraph can invite you to one (two?) and I can invite you to the other. Need your screen name.

edit: melee stamina sorc is insanely good. Enjoy your swords.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~