As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect Andromeda] Shepard may get a day, but Ryder gets a planet.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I'd guess it will have some kind of PS4/Pro/PS5 scaling based on what you run it on. I wonder what ME1 would even be like without the elevator ride loading screens.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I'd guess it will have some kind of PS4/Pro/PS5 scaling based on what you run it on. I wonder what ME1 would even be like without the elevator ride loading screens.

They'd have to straight edit it out right? Since it's just set to have you sit there for <x> amount of time.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

You'd miss out on a chunk of background world building via the News that plays there. Plus squaddie bants, so it'd be a shame to loose them imo.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular

You'd miss out on a chunk of background world building via the News that plays there. Plus squaddie bants, so it'd be a shame to loose them imo.

Have them be just long enough that that stuff isn't lost. Because that needs to be in there, even if it was to try and cover a technical limitation.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Have them be just long enough that that stuff isn't lost. Because that needs to be in there, even if it was to try and cover a technical limitation.

Oh absolutely the way to go yes.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Remasters?

Is this some kind of joke I'm too computer gamer to understand?

Eh... Remakes of old games with newer, better mechanics are a thing I fully support as a PC player.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I’m weirdly disappointed. This has all the makings of a shitty up-rez to pull in more money for EA during a slow release schedule.

The Mass Effect trilogy is fine, ME1 is rough but playable. I went through the whole thing a couple years back and with some mods I had no issues.

FF7 and RE2 are PS1 games. They needed a complete rebuild. Mass Effect needed to sit for another couple years at least. Then with the next gen fully going, look at remaking ME1 and tweaking ME2/3.

While I don’t mind ME1’s gameplay, there is nostalgia involved and it really needs a massive rework to bring it up to modern standards.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    ME1 shouldn't keep elevators to retain that dialogue. It should have the quest structure redone so that you'd hear anything interesting from that section in a better way. I will never play ME1 again as it was originally released. I already cleared it... 4 times(?) that way. If they redid it to ME2 and 3 standards, I'd be very interested in seeing that. It'd be so much work to do that though... just make a new one. Andromeda was poorly planned and rushed to the finish, properly bake the next one.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I’m weirdly disappointed. This has all the makings of a shitty up-rez to pull in more money for EA during a slow release schedule.

The Mass Effect trilogy is fine, ME1 is rough but playable. I went through the whole thing a couple years back and with some mods I had no issues.

FF7 and RE2 are PS1 games. They needed a complete rebuild. Mass Effect needed to sit for another couple years at least. Then with the next gen fully going, look at remaking ME1 and tweaking ME2/3.

While I don’t mind ME1’s gameplay, there is nostalgia involved and it really needs a massive rework to bring it up to modern standards.

Keep in mind that they """remastered""" FF7 before the remake too. So I wouldn't take it off the table yet.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

As already noted, something would play. The PC version of Mass Effect 2 already does this--short videos intended to cover loading portions (by running on loop if necessary) will still play at least once even if they don't need to. The introduction is the same way, intended to cover some loading but needing to be manually disabled otherwise.

As a rule, we're dealing with much, much shorter load times--not "no more load times." Game designers aren't obligated to design their games contrary to how they want to (and that might involve transitions to allow for dialog or a dramatic event), so much as they're less obligated to conceal inevitable load times behind stage pieces.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Remasters?

Is this some kind of joke I'm too computer gamer to understand?

Eh... Remakes of old games with newer, better mechanics are a thing I fully support as a PC player.
    Remaster =/= Remake.

But really, EA/BioWare isn't changing anything except for a graphical update.

sig.gif
    Give me a graphical update, throw in all the DLC (okay, I'm not too fussed about Pinnacle Station), and frankly I'd like tweaks to ME1's godawful inventory system, and I'm in.

Well, obviously I'm in anyway. But, you know. Keeping the wishlist realistic. I'd be amazed if the games - or even just ME1 - ever got full remakes RE2&3-style.

• JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    My dream will remain a KotOR remake/remaster -- heck, just rerelease it with the cutscenes upscaled to modern resolutions -- but this sounds like a decent first start, pending additional information.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I still need to finish ME2 and ME3.

I might as well start over in ME2.

Krathoon on
    urahonky wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Keep in mind that they """remastered""" FF7 before the remake too. So I wouldn't take it off the table yet.

True, and these days it's hard to keep companies from going back to the hit titles. It's just a bit disappointing as I was hoping a 'remake' would be in the cards for the PS5 gen here to get people back into Mass Effect before a new title. But it seems we'll be waiting for the PS6/7 for that.

• envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    For no good reason I tried a new run of ME1, but I installed the MEUITM package of texture upgrades, and boy does it make the game look nicer. Combat still feels very floaty and unresponsive so of there is a remake I wish they would look at the mechanics and sound design a bit more.

Story wise ME1 is the best of the three so no changes needed there.

• yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I don’t think I can go back to ME1 if it’s just getting a graphics update. The game seriously needs updates to combat, inventory, animations, and maybe the leveling system.

"I see everything twice!"

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    ME1 has too many cut and paste side quests. Dragon Age 2 was really bad about that.

Krathoon on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I have a hard time replaying ME1 these days due to the jankiness of the combat. I usually get halfway through and then give it up.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I just remember when ME first came out I had the PC version and it caused hard blue screen crashes in windows like every hour or so, so I was saving all the time and it took forever to get to like the 1st of the planets then they patched it and i realized it was like 5-10 hours of gameplay

initiatefailure on
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    I still find ME1 to be playable. Just gotta do Vangaurd/Wrex/Liara and spam all the OP biotic mass CC abilities and shotgun people in the face. I wonder what they'll do with it in the remaster; I'm not sure if a younger audience is going to be able to get behind all the jank.

I know it would never happen, but man, wouldn't it be awesome if they manged to link ME 1, 2, and 3 all into a single, cohesive story with unified mechanics?

ME1 has no-to-poor loyalty missions, bad design on the classes (unique skills in 2 made such a LARGE difference), bad graphics, bad shooting, etc. Just prettying up the graphics and calling it a day would be such a bad idea. Like... EDI gets introduced in a quest where you fight pogo stick bouncing rocket robots and then unplug a computer at the end. No spoken dialogue. Tali's special quest is hacking a terminal in a random level and saying yes when she asks if she can have the stuff from that computer. It didn't have auto save! If you don't learn to save before battles properly, you can lose 30-50+ minutes of your real life in one bad Krogan charge. The fact that it was a good game still with all of this stuff is impressive but... it needs a LOT of work before just tossing it out there like it would be exciting to play 2 generations after the fact.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    All of that is true, but if you didn't know how to save periodically, you'd have to have been pretty damn new to PC gaming. That shit got drilled into you early.

Krieghund wrote: »
    All of that is true, but if you didn't know how to save periodically, you'd have to have been pretty damn new to PC gaming. That shit got drilled into you early.

I’ve gotten lazy. Games these days are good about auto saving. Bites me in the ass when i play an old game of course.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    ME1 has no-to-poor loyalty missions, bad design on the classes (unique skills in 2 made such a LARGE difference), bad graphics, bad shooting, etc. Just prettying up the graphics and calling it a day would be such a bad idea. Like... EDI gets introduced in a quest where you fight pogo stick bouncing rocket robots and then unplug a computer at the end. No spoken dialogue. Tali's special quest is hacking a terminal in a random level and saying yes when she asks if she can have the stuff from that computer. It didn't have auto save! If you don't learn to save before battles properly, you can lose 30-50+ minutes of your real life in one bad Krogan charge. The fact that it was a good game still with all of this stuff is impressive but... it needs a LOT of work before just tossing it out there like it would be exciting to play 2 generations after the fact.

Holt fuck, the moon mission is an early EDI construct?

I never made that connection

Krieghund wrote: »

I wonder what the sales are like 360 vs PC. Mass Effect and KOTOR made Bioware more of a console focused dev than a PC focused dev.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »

Holt fuck, the moon mission is an early EDI construct?

I never made that connection

It was mentioned in ME2 that (I think it was a single sentence explanation):
    she's based on the salvaged rogue AI that was on the Moon.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Whenever I replay ME1 now, I immediately console in the max rank N7 heavy armor and some skill points because god damnit if I'm doing this I'm doing this looking great.

Gameplay wise, full biotic is pretty fun in 1. You really don't get a grasp on how many chairs are in a room until you drop a singularity on a group of dumbasses.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned this feels like a cash grab. Just making ME1 'work' on newer consoles at 4k is such a cop out. You can still play the ME trilogy on an Xbox One or PC. ME1 needs a lot of work. And last we heard, Anthem had "all hands on deck" till it's launch around a year back. So that would give them only 1 and a half years roughly. I'm going to keep my expectations low till EA throws out more details.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I have a hard time replaying ME1 these days due to the jankiness of the combat. I usually get halfway through and then give it up.
    At this point I usually pop open the console and grab a handful of SuperGun (AR that does 25k damage/shot) for the appropriate squadmates and that helps a lot. I ain't going through ME1 for the gameplay, only the story.

And maybe getting the Mako stuck in new and impressive ways.

sig.gif
  • JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Mentioned it before, but the first thing I do when replaying ME1 is go into the .ini file and boost my inventory to 500. Or maybe 5,000. The point is, I never want to have to think about my inventory.

2000 is a bare minimum.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think one of my favorite fancanon things that became canon is that Shepard is the worst driver.

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    It makes sense. Shepard is probably too distracted thinking about all the aliens to bone.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Nothing beats your squadmates' reactions to Ryder's driving on the asteroid

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    I wonder how they'll handle ME3 MP? I wouldn't mind jumping back in if this gets more folks back playing, but not if I have to start from scratch.

Yeah, by the time all the multiplayer expansions finished, that was a ridiculous number of unlocks.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I'm willing to bet real money that I can still find a Mass Effect 3 multiplayer game in under a minute, which until last week was literally faster than Call of Duty

re: Mass Effect 1, I really enjoyed the mod system they used, particularly towards endgame where the player could do a ton of wacky physics shit. I'd love to see something akin to Mass Effect 3 or even Andromeda's overall combat system, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was just a low-effort up-resolution release. Hell, I'd still play it at least once, the things that bother other players greatly doesn't bother me as much.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm willing to bet real money that I can still find a Mass Effect 3 multiplayer game in under a minute, which until last week was literally faster than Call of Duty

re: Mass Effect 1, I really enjoyed the mod system they used, particularly towards endgame where the player could do a ton of wacky physics shit. I'd love to see something akin to Mass Effect 3 or even Andromeda's overall combat system, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was just a low-effort up-resolution release. Hell, I'd still play it at least once, the things that bother other players greatly doesn't bother me as much.

You totally can

50/50 on if you're gonna to hear Russians yelling at each other for the entire match though :P

edited May 2020
    Orca wrote: »
    Yeah, by the time all the multiplayer expansions finished, that was a ridiculous number of unlocks.

It got to be too much for me. I freely admit I preferred it before all the expansions made it overwhelming - and the stupid number of unlocks coupled with an early lootbox system did not help.

You totally can

50/50 on if you're gonna to hear Russians yelling at each other for the entire match though :P

At least you could turn them off - part of the genius of ME3 multi was it being perfectly playable with no team comms.

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.