As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Bread] Thread! A Thread all about Bread!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Yeah. I've been leaving it for 1 hour after shaping it. Seemed to work ok this time.

I did knead it for like 30 minutes even though the instructions said to do it for 8, because it was nowhere near ready after 8. But I assume that will change with practice.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Bread thread, I have baked again. School being back in class means that I can’t do sourdoughs everyday, but I’m consistently doing a light loaf on Saturday to bake on Sunday.

This was the best rise I’ve done yet? I did three hours folding and turning, a cold ferment overnight then a two hour in the morning, and things looked really good, until the time I set did not actually get started so I kinda had to guess how long I left during crust formation and I kind of under did the crust, it’s just too soft to cut particularly well, and the dough is just very slightly under done.

Good to know I can get a good rise though.

9b7uheex3par.jpeg

I’ve also ordered a pair of bannetons so I might start baking in pairs, as it won’t massively increase the labour.

Blake T on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Also @m!ttens wrote their recipe in a spreadsheet which was my first recipe when making sourdough . So I did what I always did when I see a spreadsheet and I rewrote it. The version I use now lets you play around with all of your hydration levels, inoculation rates and control your dough percentages depending on your situation. If anyone wants to play around with it I have attached it. (I've also included M!ttens's original file, but I had to delete their photos for upload size limit reasons)

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also don't pop the bubbles while shaping! @Cello that looks beautiful.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea baking in pairs is usually the way to go, it takes like 5% extra work and you get like twice the bread. You've just got to be able to eat the bread! Which is it's own problem in a lot of ways.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Most bread freezes super well. Don't ever put bread in the fridge because you'll stale your gluten in hours, but a loaf of bread frozen in a Ziploc will come out good as fresh.

If you're as lazy as me, you can pre-slice the bread before you freeze it and just pry off a slice about half an hour before you want to toast it and put an egg on it. Depending on my sandwich consumption, I can stretch two loaves out to a month of breakfasts.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Most bread freezes super well. Don't ever put bread in the fridge because you'll stale your gluten in hours, but a loaf of bread frozen in a Ziploc will come out good as fresh.

If you're as lazy as me, you can pre-slice the bread before you freeze it and just pry off a slice about half an hour before you want to toast it and put an egg on it. Depending on my sandwich consumption, I can stretch two loaves out to a month of breakfasts.

Almost all baked good freeze well in my experience - bread, bagels, muffins, get it in there quickly once it hits room temp and don't let it thaw and it will keep for ages.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I made French bread pizza last night.

I'm having the leftovers today!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    What’s this thread about?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

You

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

You

Finally!

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I did my 3rd loaf on the weekend and it's still super yum.

I wish I had room in my freezer to freeze bread, or I would do a 2nd loaf. but I have no freezer space to freeze much of anything else.

my starter is going well and she's behaving herself. Now, I just need to find something to make with the discard that won't end up being not eaten by the people in my house. I think I like the idea of trying the KAF sourdough crackers.

I can mostly rely on the kid to eat crackers.....

I'm working through my Bacon bread and it pairs perfectly with some brie, and god it's just so good. I have to be careful not to just eat a whole loaf in a day. We're doing grilled cheese with it tomorrow night. It's going to be great.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    oh! that's what I was going to ask.

At what stage do I mix things like the olives or herbs or what not into the bread? Is that part of the first knead? or a different stretch and fold?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    .you can theoretically do it before the first rise, and that will make the flavors spread through the bread more, but most recipes will have you do it during the shaping because adding fruit and stuff can inhibit the rise and make it take a lot longer. If you’re not in a hurry it’s totally up to you though.

edited May 2020
    tynic wrote: »
    .you can theoretically do it before the first rise, and that will make the flavors spread through the bread more, but most recipes will have you do it during the shaping because adding fruit and stuff can inhibit the rise and make it take a lot longer. If you’re not in a hurry it’s totally up to you though.

If I'm doing small stuff like bacon crumbles, oils or seasonings I'll do it before first rise. I've never tried heavier stuff that might sink. Why does fruit and stuff inhibit the rise? I'm curious.

webguy20 on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »

If I'm doing small stuff like bacon crumbles, oils or seasonings I'll do it before first rise. I've never tried heavier stuff that might sink. Why does fruit and stuff inhibit the rise? I'm curious.

Well anything with salt in definitely will slow things down because salt kills yeast. I’m not sure on the mechanism for other additives, but it’s been repeated as an article of faith by every baker I’ve ever read or listened to - I’m not at home or I’d go check my bread bible and find out. It’s a good question!

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Red Star Yeast says it's an osmotic effect. Some amount of sugar is necessary, of course, but beyond that the sugar starts to compete for water with the yeast and stresses the yeast. Sweet dough recipes call for more yeast to compensate.

https://redstaryeast.com/yeast-baking-lessons/common-baking-ingredients/sweeteners/

As for salt, the salt competes in a similar way for water, and it also affects the enzymes responsible for autolyse. If you're doing a kneaded loaf and you let your dough rest for an autolyse step before adding salt and kneading, you'll allow autolyse to occur more readily and get a jump-start on that gluten development.

Ahhh, thats why my sourdough recipe adds the salt after a 30 minute rest after first combining the dough and water.

Ahhh, thats why my sourdough recipe adds the salt after a 30 minute rest after first combining the dough and water.

It's mostly for the autolyse to happen. Detail here: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2017/09/29/using-the-autolyse-method

• Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    s1ntys9jjj0d.jpg

Just eating some now, still warm from the oven, slathered with butter and yeah it's not going to last the day.

My latest efforts with an overnight fridge proof. Didn't bake the first loaf long enough as I didn't add time for the cold dough factor. 503suoqnjvt2.jpg

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a good, simple recipe for Greek style flatbread?

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    BREAD THREAD

I totally am too much into AC that I missed this popping up

I feel so lucky I got into sourdough baking before all of this blew up. It allowed me to pick up a bunch of supplies I imagine are pretty hard to get right now (... not least of all... my 10kg of flour)

I make 84% hydration sourdough with a bit of whole wheat and rye in there. Here are some photos of recent bakes

6x1xg1nukodw.png

r4oy42lrmua4.png

28kr6t6rqh5o.png

b7t5erd4ipyd.png

Oh and a coconut pineapple bun in here for good measure
    rc8i8hysulib.png

I super recommend The Perfect Loaf's "Best Sourdough Recipe and Beginner's one too

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    That is a beautiful loaf right there.

Yep, that's some crazy spring and great looking crumb.

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Thank you! It's not always so great :lol:
    I always do the same ingredients/hydration and I try to keep the ambient temperature the same as well, but there's always some differences here and there in how it comes out. The magic of bread!

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    Since we still can't open our break room due to the Rona, I'm embarking on week two of sandwich lunches.

Bodes well when you bite into your seventh sandwich in a row and think "Goddamn, I bake good bread."

GDdCWMm.jpg
    the 4 year old is willingly eating the sourdough.

So, I am now making another loaf.

I am ecstatic that she will eat the bread. she doesn't eat the crust, but that's ok i don't mind that she eats the ENTIRE inside, even without being buttered.

My 3 year old is a bread machine. She'd eat the load if we let her.

schuss wrote: »
    My 3 year old is a bread machine. She'd eat the load if we let her.

I imagine her going for the raw dough before you even have a chance to bake it.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what makes sourdough sour? acidic compounds?

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited May 2020
    what makes sourdough sour? acidic compounds?

Yes,the different gases/acids produced by the yeast. You can actually tune the sourness through bulk fermentation/proofing temperature adjustment. Really sour bread was likely proofed cold.
    Attached relevant Tartine book passagek73o5ohcq3w5.jpg

schuss on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I gotta stop reading this thread oh my god I am so hungry right now

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    It's just flour, water, salt and yeast. Also obsession.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh hey a bread thread!

I've dabbled with bread for the past year or so. A few months ago I got a standing mixer after breaking my hand one making something with a particularly thick dough. While I really love the simplicity of dumping stuff into the standing mixer and just walking away and doing other stuff while it does its thing, I've had a real challenge getting a decent rise. My research says that basically standing mixers are too efficient, and overwork the gluten to the point of making it too tough and preventing dough to rise well.

Which, fine ok. I've been much more strict about the mixer and stuff, but I'm still having problems. I'll leave the covered bowl on top of my fridge, which should be roughly the warmest place in the house. This seems to somewhat improve the rise, but I certainly am not seeing the dough double in size in two hours like my recipes say. Any ideas of what else I'm doing wrong?

Im going to go have some sourdough with brie right now. Mmm mmm!

I thought I would be clever and see if this pink himalayan salt I got was gonna give me a different flavour.

I was not paying attention and not thinking and so did not grind the salt up before tossing into the dough.

so it has had small pockets of salt in it while rising.

I'm about to take it out of the fridge and I think I might give it a small counter rise before even starting preheating the oven.

I am now out of bread, and am sad.

Bake more bread, get happy. It is the Circle of Bread.

GDdCWMm.jpg