As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recipe etiquette on social media?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited May 2020 in Help / Advice Forum
I never thought I'd be asking this question, but here I am nonetheless.

As anyone here on social media can probably attest to, there has been a significant uptick in amateur cooks during the COVID quarantine/lockdown. I threw my hat in the ring. I've been flirting with cooking since last year, but I never really went whole hog on it, mostly due to lack of time and energy. But I've really embraced it and I've been ticking through multiple recipes.

I'm also an enthusiast-slash-semi professional photographer and I have an Instagram with an embarassingly low number of followers (a little over 600). I only bring that up because its relevant to the question I am going to ask. It's not a significant number of people but it's still hundreds.

Anyway, this past week I've been posting some of my cooking results on my account (since I can't really do portraiture right now) and they've been met with a surprising amount of positivity and interest, including some randoms that aren't even following my profile. I've been dual posting to Facebook as well, but as that is a still large but mostly cultivated list of contacts I'm not really worried about posting anything there.

I've gone through a few dishes, but today was a baked ziti dish. It was heavily inspired by a recipe I found by randomly clicking around YouTube. I found a similar recipe last week on a different site as well, but I based my final recipe and method on this particular recipe I found on YouTube. I think baked ziti is pretty

OK, so, the baked ziti came out great. The photos looked great (including some of the, uh, assembly and cooking process), and I posted them, and people liked it. And a few people posted requesting the recipe.

Since I adapted the original recipe and I personally think that baked ziti is pretty straightforward anyway, do I need to source the original recipe if I post my final recipe, even if I modified it? Is that appropriate? Is that not enough, do I need permission or something to post a derivative recipe?

I am not really sure what's appropriate here because I do plan on posting more. I assume the droves of recipes out there posted and published on the interwebs out there don't all spring forth from each poster's mind, fully formed from the black void of nothingness, so I imagine there's a significant amount of borrowing and adapting out there. I am just curious what's right and what's wrong if I intend to continue posting to my social media where it could theoretically be consumed by hundreds of folks.

Note: I did post the YouTube account name in this case and mentioned I adapted from a recipe they used in their video. I'm also sensitive to attribution issues, since I'm a photographer. I am just not sure if it's necessary or expected in the case where you've derived your own recipe from someone else's recipe, which was pretty basic to begin with.

Thoughts?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    whenever I post a recipe, I usually claim it's a modified version of 'linked recipe'. Some recipes I've lost where the original came from so I don't bother sourcing (because I couldn't if I tried).

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah usually if you based it on somebody else's (even loosely) it's good form to link back to them, and you'll see that on most blogs and cooking sites. Recipes aren't usually copyright-able, so in matters not pertaining to etiquette you're in the clear.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Thanks!

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    To be honest, outbound links to someone else's content also helps with your own search ranking for these sorts of things.

What is this I don't even.
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    If you're riffing off some modernist cuisine style stuff from like Noma or WD50 or Allenia or some shit, I'd probably mention or link it just because who are you trying to kid but If it is derived from something pretty standard you don't need to link it, as long as -AND THIS IS IMPORTANT- you write a 27 paragraph preamble on the history of the dish, what it means to you, why you decided to make it and how it factors into your new diet scheme. Before anyone gets to the recipe.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    If you're riffing off some modernist cuisine style stuff from like Noma or WD50 or Allenia or some shit, I'd probably mention or link it just because who are you trying to kid but If it is derived from something pretty standard you don't need to link it, as long as -AND THIS IS IMPORTANT- you write a 27 paragraph preamble on the history of the dish, what it means to you, why you decided to make it and how it factors into your new diet scheme. Before anyone gets to the recipe.

Be warned though, if you do this, everyone will hate you

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    purchase the app called Paprika3

its entire purpose is to filter all that crap out and save only the ingredients and directions. Best however much it cost I ever spent.

I have started using WD40 as my go to cooking oil for most of my cuisine.

My omelets don’t squeak anymore which is, I believe, a pro tier cooking result.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Babish calls out when he adapts a recipe - “based on a recipe I got at America’s Test Kitchen” or similar.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I am seeing a distinct lack of food photos in this thread.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

Or recipes.

1 thread
    10 posters
    Slather with oil
    Mix
    Consume immediately

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

Or recipes.

There needs to be 20 posts' worth of discussion first

Make sure the punters want to read the recipe by forcing them to scroll

Also put the recipe in an element that loads last, so scrolling to the bottom straight away just lands readers in the comments section

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Don't forget images that load at different times so it keeps jumping around

camo_sig.png