As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Escaping the USA?

2»

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    P.S: Only a finn would call swedes "social and outgoing".

ujussuyn7k7f.png

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but in the considered opinions of the Scandinavian contingent, how easy a time would I have finding work as a librarian in that part of the world?

For Sweden. Tough. Very tough. Like, near impossible to break into from outside the system. A masters degree in library and information science or the equivalent is practically mandatory. You're also pretty much required a secondary specialization in litterature, communication or pedagogy (librarian vs children's librarian) and some experience working with swedish library systems.

Dang. I've got the masters but not a second degree.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    I know how you feel, Skieth. Currently looking into various universities that will allow for online M.Ed courses that I can enroll in while I'm working. Gotta spend that money and do the time, I guess.

Hopefully it all pans out, but even if we end up stuck in the US having a higher degree will boost my prospects, and we could still move to a better area than the central valley.

PSN: decatus90
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but in the considered opinions of the Scandinavian contingent, how easy a time would I have finding work as a librarian in that part of the world?

For Sweden. Tough. Very tough. Like, near impossible to break into from outside the system. A masters degree in library and information science or the equivalent is practically mandatory. You're also pretty much required a secondary specialization in litterature, communication or pedagogy (librarian vs children's librarian) and some experience working with swedish library systems.

Dang. I've got the masters but not a second degree.

You don't really need a full second degree, but to be competitive you need like a year and a half (equivalent to a swedish C course) or work experience in a relevant area. Mainly because at no point are there more than 15 open job positions in the entire country.

Also, unless you have a family member it can be hard to get a residency permit since pretty much all libraries are run by government institutions (so no corporate sponsor helping you out).

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Not sure if someone already mentioned this as I didn't read through the whole thread, but I was stationed in the Netherlands a few years ago. Absolutely loved it. My wife and I would both give up a kidney to move there permanently. I was down in the southern part, Brunssum to be specific.

There is a NATO base there with a huge school for all the different countries children, but it's mostly US, Canadian kids there. My wife got a job at the school (k-12) as a teachers aide and loved it. As you are an actual teacher that would be awesome. Plus the DoD pays really well.

I quickly looked at USAjobs.gov for teaching jobs. And there is a substitute teaching job in Brunssum!! There are also a few in Belgium and one in Germany!

Let me know if you need any help applying or if you have any questions about that area of the Netherlands/Belgium/Germany as they are all within walking distance of each other there.

Een fijne dag verder!

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular

For Denmark I should think it would not be that difficult, but I suggest asking a trade union as they will be able to give more information. Here is a link:
    https://kulturoginformation.dk/service/english

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Excluding manager positions and specialized positions, there are maybe 3 or 4 libraries with openings in Denmark atm. Some/most will have a requirement that you have a teaching (ish) background or qualification, as you'll need to be able to work with children. Meaning that you will need to speak the language, basically.

I think it's an option, but there aren't that many jobs going. The language barrier could be mitigated by working at a university / doing 'back of house' work. Also, there are probably some private sector and museum options but I think those are hard to come by.

EDIT: Not to be super negative, but just that it's important to be really aware of your options when it comes to something like this.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    Excluding manager positions and specialized positions, there are maybe 3 or 4 libraries with openings in Denmark atm. Some/most will have a requirement that you have a teaching (ish) background or qualification, as you'll need to be able to work with children. Meaning that you will need to speak the language, basically.

I think it's an option, but there aren't that many jobs going. The language barrier could be mitigated by working at a university / doing 'back of house' work. Also, there are probably some private sector and museum options but I think those are hard to come by.

EDIT: Not to be super negative, but just that it's important to be really aware of your options when it comes to something like this.

Remember that the World is right now in Corona chaos. The few places that are hiring at the moment will be where the pandemic has meant new or more tasks, else where everyone is in a holding pattern.

That will include libraries in Denmark which has ll been closed down for like two months, so long that any openings advertised before the lock down are expired and new ones have hardly been posted. Plus not many new jobs are posted now anyways since most places will wait till after the summer.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Yes, I live in Denmark. I would not bank on libraries here as a source of employment unless I had a job secured before moving here, especially before learning the language. There are exceptions to the language problem, but those tend to be pretty specialized jobs.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    Hi folks,

I just wanted to pop back on here and say thanks, and give a little update in case anyone cares. It's been a hell of a year, hah.

Our dreams of escaping the US have pretty much fallen apart. The pandemic nuked the funding and any sort of certainty that higher education had - I followed Tynic's advice and contacted a few grad programs to inquire about plans for the future, and I was generally met with shrugs and "hahahaha we wish we knew!" I'm really not surprised because absolutely nothing is certain right now, but it was a bit disappointing. So, anyway, the European dream is pretty well dead at this point.

We've decided that getting the hell out of California is the next best thing though, so we're working on that. I'm working on my MA in Education right now (I'm about 70% of the way complete already, yay for working from home!) and I've submitted an application to the Oregon teaching credential folks, so hopefully they'll grant my request for a reciprocal credential. From there, the plan is to look for a teaching job this spring in the areas in and around Salem or Portland; we'd prefer Salem, we think, but Portland would certainly be interesting - we've never lived in a "big city" so it might be fun for a few years. My wife got out of law enforcement and started working as a legal clerk, which she really enjoys, and that experience should be helpful if we're able to make a move this spring or summer, so that's quite nice.

Anyway, things are going about as well as they can. We're healthy and have solid jobs, our families have somehow managed to stay healthy during the pandemic, our house has a fair amount of equity, I'll have my MA by the end of summer 2021, and it's really looking like we should be able to move somewhere lovely (and cooler, and that actually gets rain!) in the future.

Thank you again for all the help and advice last year, I really do appreciate it.

<3

PSN: decatus90