As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My WiFi network is designed by Satan

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
There has never been a time running my own WiFi network that hasn't been filled with headaches and depression.

I've had a few routers over the years and am currently using a Linksys Overkill. Despite the fact that the thing has enough power to theoretically provide coverage for an entire floor in a dorm, it chokes just trying to provide anything close to reasonable performance for an average of 4/5 connected devices.

Mind you, this has ALWAYS been a problem for me, regardless of the router or setting. My last place was an apartment and my current one is a house with the closest neighbor being roughly 40-50 feet away. Also, different ISP providers, though the current one (Mediacom) seems worse than the last (Spectrum).

Going to my friend's home who has Google Fiber and Google modem (looks like one of those automatic spraying air fresheners) gives me no issues whatsoever.

So, I'm at a loss. I cannot for the life of me figure out why I can never get stuff to work correctly.

5ghz gives me anywhere from 10Mbps to 200 depending on what I'm using to measure it and the phases of the moon. 2.4ghz gets 15Mbps tops. Always.

Also, there seems to be slight delays when accessing stuff like the router is sleepy and has to be woken up. It's not there when using my phone data.

Am I missing something obvious? This continues to drive me to the fucking wall.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Linksys Overkill? Got a model number? Being that it's Linksys I'm more than willing to blame the hardware, but I'd like to know more.

Also, is this the house that was built on the burial ground or whatever? The one that kept having catastrophes happen like something out of Money Pit? Are you sure it isn't ghosts?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Linksys Overkill? Got a model number? Being that it's Linksys I'm more than willing to blame the hardware, but I'd like to know more.

Also, is this the house that was built on the burial ground or whatever? The one that kept having catastrophes happen like something out of Money Pit? Are you sure it isn't ghosts?

EA9300. Looks like they designed it off the Lich King.