As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [NHL] Thread - On Dadanov’s No-Trade List

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I think you can just vote for a winner and or draw on hockey fights.

But it's been years since I went on there

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Someone tell me if I'm asking too many questions, but I don't really have a lot of hockey fans around to talk to.

Why do some teams seem afraid to through checks? I'm watching old games since they are up for free, and Anaheim vs Chicago, I feel like the Ducks are constantly slamming people into the wall, but I don' think I've seen a single hit coming from a Chicago player halfway though the second period.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Someone tell me if I'm asking too many questions, but I don't really have a lot of hockey fans around to talk to.

Why do some teams seem afraid to through checks? I'm watching old games since they are up for free, and Anaheim vs Chicago, I feel like the Ducks are constantly slamming people into the wall, but I don' think I've seen a single hit coming from a Chicago player halfway though the second period.

There's a philosophical divide in the sport at the moment, like there are in the other major sports. Though mostly one side has won at this point. On the one hand you have the dominant mode of hockey from the 90s which was very physical and emphasized hitting and wearing down an opponent over the course of a seven game series. In the late 90s and early aughts there was a transition towards a style that emphasized speed and playmaking more. That has become the dominant form of the sport these days.

It's kind of like the I formation vs. the spread in football or an offense that mostly runs through the post vs. a perimeter/driving offense in basketball.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

There's a philosophical divide in the sport at the moment, like there are in the other major sports. Though mostly one side has won at this point. On the one hand you have the dominant mode of hockey from the 90s which was very physical and emphasized hitting and wearing down an opponent over the course of a seven game series. In the late 90s and early aughts there was a transition towards a style that emphasized speed and playmaking more. That has become the dominant form of the sport these days.

It's kind of like the I formation vs. the spread in football or an offense that mostly runs through the post vs. a perimeter/driving offense in basketball.

I guess it just seems weird hitting vs not hitting, where when you have the two meeting, it looks really strange, as opposed to I vs spread, where you have the two less directly opposing each other. Although I guess considering that the hawks are winning 1 to 5, maybe its not as unfair as it looks visually.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    That's also a part of it. If we can't beat you, we're going to beat you up. It puts it in the opponent's head (in this case, Chicago) that anytime they get the puck, they're going to pay a physical price for it. And the more Chicago's ahead, the more it is going to hurt them. So, in Anaheim's eyes, maybe Chicago will let up off the gas some, which will give Anaheim an opportunity to climb back into the game, the series, or, depending on when that particular game was played, sends a message to the rest of the league that playing Anaheim is going to be a Bad Time.

Officiating, rules changes, attitudes towards injury, and skill and speed have pushed that aside to a large extent; it's no longer as feasible to play that way -- though I bet you still see small aspects of it even today.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular

I guess it just seems weird hitting vs not hitting, where when you have the two meeting, it looks really strange, as opposed to I vs spread, where you have the two less directly opposing each other. Although I guess considering that the hawks are winning 1 to 5, maybe its not as unfair as it looks visually.
    I will say that if a team can hit hard and play well, it's a deadly combination in the playoffs. For season games, it may not matter too much. But in the playoffs, you're dealing with the effects of hitting like that over 4-7 games. Take the 2019 finals as an example. The Bruins got their asses handed to them physically which wore them down like crazy, not to mention Marchand forgetting about forecheck backcheck paycheck, but that's just a bad memory for me...

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Who you say old games, I'm assuming, like, 5-10 years ago?

The NHL is widely considered to be a copy cat league (although it isn't) so when the penguins won back to back in 2016 and 2017with a soft group of skill players, every team in the league switched to become a soft speed skill team! Except for the Washington capitals who won the next year, I guess?

Anyways, once the big tough bruins and king's won in 2010 and 2011, all teams adopted punishing hockey and no soft speedy teams ever won a cup again. Except for the Blackhawks who won the next year, I guess?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

The NHL is widely considered to be a copy cat league (although it isn't) so when the penguins won back to back in 2016 and 2017with a soft group of skill players, every team in the league switched to become a soft speed skill team! Except for the Washington capitals who won the next year, I guess?

Anyways, once the big tough bruins and king's won in 2010 and 2011, all teams adopted punishing hockey and no soft speedy teams ever won a cup again. Except for the Blackhawks who won the next year, I guess?

Everything from the season that just ended prematurely is free to watch on NHL.com, so I just started March first, picked a couple of teams, and I've started trying to go through and watch the games in order from then on.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    The snarky answer is that the ghost of Brian Burke still lingers in Anaheim. Also, their skill players are kind of goonish too.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I think another factor is that when there is a large goal differential in a game, the refs are less likely to call penalties on the team that is behind in goals. This encourages the losing team to take risky and more physical plays to get themselves back on the scoreboard.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Makes sense, if all the teams but 1 are bruisers, then the speed team gets a lot of practice at beating bruisers, while the bruiser teams will have much less experience beating a speed team.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    What is the difference between a seeded playoff vs a bracketed playoff?

• Options
    What is the difference between a seeded playoff vs a bracketed playoff?

The NHL reseeds so the highest remaining seed plays the lowest remaining. Or it used to before the new dumb system.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Matt Duchene on finishing the season/playoffs....
    “You don’t want to have a ‘COVID Cup,’ and I’m worried that if we come back and try and force this thing and it’s a little gimmicky and it’s not quite right, whoever wins the Cup is going to have people try and take it away from them their whole lives."
    https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/nashville-predators/article/21134130/preds-duchene-urges-nhl-not-to-have-a-covid-cup

And the Capitals jump in.....

Jayricho on
  • Options
    Two things, to me

No matter how they do it, everyone is gonna put an asterisk on it and also

If my team wins I will still be a dick about it

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I give it month or two before it's shut down again because of the second wave.

• Options
    Did they actually vote to return yet? Cause I thought the most recent vote was just on a format for if they return.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Last I heard was the earliest it would start would be July, but I don't have specific info in front of me.

• Options
    That's my understanding as well; plans more on how to return rather than when.

• Options
    This draft lottery situation is weird. Someone super annoying (Pens, Hawks) is going to end up comedy-winning the first overall pick.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    This draft lottery situation is weird. Someone super annoying (Pens, Hawks) is going to end up comedy-winning the first overall pick.

I just feel that if Montreal get knocked out in the quali round, I would not be shocked to see them magically get the first pick. Lafrienier landing there would be super interesting.

But you know, somehow the Pens are going to get it...

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Alex Killorn (of TBL) celebrating hockey coming back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7-i4lpJV_E&feature=youtu.be

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    A lot of those boys were not social distancing in their off time :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Two things, to me

No matter how they do it, everyone is gonna put an asterisk on it and also

If my team wins I will still be a dick about it

This is where I start thinking about the trolling opportunities this format presents. Here's what I have so far.
    1. To be abundantly clear, I want the Oilers to win. However, as mentioned those that lose in this first round have a 3% chance at winning the draft lottery. I'm just tickled thinking about the collective meltdown the rest of the league fanbase would have if we won this particular draft lottery.
    2. Yes this cup win is going to have a big asterisk next to it, so imagine if you will Toronto winning this cup...then never winning another cup for another half-century :lol:
    As an aside, fuck Premier Jason Kenney for trying to pressure the federal government to lighten the border restrictions just for the NHL. I like hockey, but I also like having this pandemic contained.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    7n8xetwb4p64.jpg

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I saw that but it's a bit of a stretch. Next month is he going to tweet that it'll be the first time in the Boston Bruin's 96 year history that their season is still alive in July?

• Options
    What could possibly go wrong with starting the playoffs?

Oh.

• Options
    I saw that but it's a bit of a stretch. Next month is he going to tweet that it'll be the first time in the Boston Bruin's 96 year history that their season is still alive in July?

No. Down Goes Brown is sadly condemned to root for the Leafs for the rest of his life. Why on earth would he ever say anything nice about the Bruins?

• Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »

No. Down Goes Brown is sadly condemned to root for the Leafs for the rest of his life. Why on earth would he ever say anything nice about the Bruins?
    Because everyone loves the Bruins!!!! Ahhhh, who am I kidding. You fuckers hate me and my team.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Haven't lived in Toronto area since 1997. Still don't like the Bruins. May also have to do with Mario having to go through them for at least one of his Cups.

• Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Because everyone loves the Bruins!!!! Ahhhh, who am I kidding. You fuckers hate me and my team.

I don't hate you...

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    In the spirit of community, today I'm willing to concede that I like one (1) Bruin.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    ...I hated that highlighted puck and flame trail, lol.

• Options
    Pavel Datsyuk is...uh....living his life over in Russia I guess....

• Options
    I remember him being pretty hardcore Russian Orthodox.

• Options
    I was going to say that if I was stuck in Russia during this pandemic with their handling of it, I would hole up in a monastery too.

Then I read the article and yeah, that is one messed up situation. Antivax conspiracy theory priest who is an excop previously accused of murder that thinks Stalin is great because of the crackdowns on homosexuals.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.