As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Doctor Who] He Sings, He Dances, He Has Magic Gloves

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They had the nostalgia this season. They just need to tighten up the writing.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    And purge the cast a bit. They finally caught on to that one.

Though speaking of cast- wasn't Jack supposed to to turn back up? The liar!

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    And purge the cast a bit. They finally caught on to that one.

Though speaking of cast- wasn't Jack supposed to to turn back up? The liar!
    He's going to break her out of the prison they magically put her in

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I wonder where Jack's warning can fit in now. Presumably the Doctor is the one to send him back, to warn her in the past not to give the Lone Cyberman what it wants. But is that just dutifully closing out a bootstrap paradox or is she actually hoping to avoid this whole Cyberium thing? The Doctor typically doesn't like getting spoilers like that.

Edit: actually, just realised, Jack can't meet Thirteen before he delivers the warning? He didn't know she'd regenerated into a woman. Unless he was playing along like River used to?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I wonder where Jack's warning can fit in now. Presumably the Doctor is the one to send him back, to warn her in the past not to give the Lone Cyberman what it wants. But is that just dutifully closing out a bootstrap paradox or is she actually hoping to avoid this whole Cyberium thing? The Doctor typically doesn't like getting spoilers like that.

I kind of assumed Jack was part of the group that sent the cyberium back in the first place.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    We're only now going through the latest season, and since Switzerland is more or less on lockdown, we've been home more often and watching more than an episode a week. After the dreadful "Orphan 55", I've found something to like in all three of the following episode, but there is still something off about the flow of the stories: there's an odd, breathless flatness to the way they develop. One thing I was wondering: is this season more blasé about killing off people or am I somehow more sensitive? Doctor Who has never been reluctant to kill characters off, but in this season it feels to me that the other characters forget about the ones that have just died pretty quickly. I don't mind the stories being somewhat ruthless in order to establish a threat, but I mind that characters I'm supposed to care about don't really seem to react much. Sure, Capaldi's Doctor was sometimes downright cruel in his reaction to deaths, but with him it was partly an act, partly a coping mechanism, and others would call him out on it. Whittaker's Doctor is supposed to be much more empathetic, yet she sorta seems to be suffering from emotional ADHD.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Mostly just inconsistent writing. But to be super generous and say there's a character arc going on, the Thirteenth Doctor is trying super hard to force a smile. Everything has to be light and fun, and anything that contradicts that sorta gets ignored until it's too big to do so. It's a neat trait to pick up after how miserable the Twelfth Doctor's ending was. But I'm not entirely convinced it's intentional. ;p

Oh brilliant
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    They’ve been doing rewatching sessions on Twitter with the makers of some classic new Who episodes. They’ve just done Vincent and the Doctor and have done Rose and the 50th anniversary episode over the past couple of weeks. Well worth checking out the hashtags if you’re in the mood. Moffat and Davies provided a lot of interesting stuff.

• CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    I caught the 50th, haven't managed to find the thread/tags for Rose yet. Seems Eleventh Hour will be hashtag fishcustard?

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
    #tripofalifetime and https://twitter.com/russelldavies63 for Rose.

#TheUltimateGinger for Vincent and the Doctor. Lots of cast members on that one if you can find them.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    They keep using the term The Invisible Enemy to describe the Coronavirus and it never fails to make me think about the Doctor Who episode of the same name.
    We just need to shrink ourselves down to battle the virus inside ourselves, and then when we accidentally enlarge the virus on our way out, have our robot dog shoot it.

Edit: Sorry, clone short lived micro versions of ourselves, to go inside us and fight the virus.

akajaybay on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    They keep using the term The Invisible Enemy to describe the Coronavirus and it never fails to make me think about the Doctor Who episode of the same story.
    We just need to shrink ourselves down to battle the virus inside ourselves, and then when we accidentally enlarge the virus on our way out, have our robot dog shoot it.

Edit: Sorry, clone short lived micro versions of ourselves, to go inside us and fight the virus.

These clones will have our exact personalities and memories but will be perfectly fine with undertaking this suicide mission. Don't think too hard about it, you should be resting.

• CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Was going through a list of saved stuff on YouTube and found this particular gem. If you’re wondering who the guy is, his name rhymes with Shmurray Smold
    https://youtu.be/LKrt5IVXQ7k

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    One for Osgood fans, a new Minisode/Lockdown Special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XhhdxTJbeY

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    My headcanon is that the Osgood merked by Missy was the Zygon one.

Because if the Zygon one had survived, then the second Zygon would have had to make a copy of their copy of Osgood, and while that's not explicitly impossible it seems like it would have come up before if they could do that.

IIRC Zygons gotta keep their source alive to refresh the image every so often, otherwise they degrade back to lobster form?

Also Osgood(s) are great and I wish they'd show up again. Probably freelance, if UNIT was funded by the EU...

Oh brilliant
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    IIRC Zygons gotta keep their source alive to refresh the image every so often, otherwise they degrade back to lobster form?

Also Osgood(s) are great and I wish they'd show up again. Probably freelance, if UNIT was funded by the EU...

The Doctor brought that up during the Zygon rebellion two-parter, and Osgood said they didn't need that anymore.

But also consider the source.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    edited June 2020
    Salami Sandwich
    https://youtu.be/oPjKOP4fxeU

I will probably have to get this collection. So many good episodes.

Krathoon on
    Cosplay from home.
    https://youtu.be/65FUgIcuLTI

Amazon US has season 12 for $20. It is temporarily out of stock. I went ahead and ordered it and the Watchmen series. I used a gift card. Got them for free. I have to wait for both of them to get back in stock.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I really hope the next season is better. The show is getting kinda iffy.

I really think Chibnall needs a co-lead writer. He's been badly overstretched trying to do so much of it on his own and that's where a lot of the problems come from.

He needs something. I dunno what, though. Possibly he’s just not up to the job.

• ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    I honestly think having one person as showrunner seems to be too much.
    I remember noticing a big dip in quality after Stephen Moffat’s first season, I guess once he ran out of stuff that he’d had a lot of time to pre plan and started to feel the strain a bit more.
    When you have just one person at the helm it really ends up in individual strengths and weaknesses (e.g Moffat’s issue with writing female characters, Chibnall’s issue with writing exposition in an engaging way) being magnified during their tenure on the show, with no other person or people to compensate or share the load.

It also focuses a lot of the fan dissatisfaction (of which there is always some) onto one single person, which doesn’t seem to be super fair as well.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I'm not sure why either of them are so bad. Plenty of sci-fi shows manage to do fine with one show runner producing way more episodes every year. Doctor Who is sufficiently conceptually inclusive and low-stakes that it seems like anyone basically competent should be able to shit out a decent season with more regularity than Who's show runners do.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    It’s apparently an incredibly stressful show to be showrunner on. Every 1–2 episodes, the setting entirely changes – new props, costumes, actors, locations, sets. I mean, it’s not entirely dissimilar to having to coherently string a series of completely different movies together on a budget that’s constantly being chipped away at. There are fewer constants (and more constraints) in Who than in most sci-fi shows

RTD and Moffat have also talked about how things would fall through last minute or how a writer would turn in a script that doesn’t work and they’ve had to rewrite almost all of it. From everything they’ve said since they left, it was an absolutely gruelling job

It’s punishing on the leads too – iirc Tennant and Capaldi both ended up with the same knee injury from all the running, and Smith did his back at one point. It’s something like 9–10 months of filming for each series and you don’t have an ensemble cast allowing you to better distribute the scenes/lines/action so it doesn’t fall primarily on whoever’s the Doctor

Combine how hard it is on the showrunner and the lead with the constant budget woes and it makes sense that it’s been nearly a decade since we’ve had a full length series every year

Yeah. There is lots of running on the show. The old show had less of that.

You had some mistakes in the Capaldi seasons due to them not having the budget to fix them. Namely the issues with the golden arrow and the moon egg.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I feel like the moon egg's problems could only be solved with more money if they used it to make a whole new episode

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    For some reason, I really disliked that Capadi episode with the sleep monsters.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I feel like the moon egg's problems could only be solved with more money if they used it to make a whole new episode

Or set it on another planet, to (1) avoid the ridiculous notion that our moon is an egg, and (2) have an actual dilemma of "do we kill this being to keep the moon-egg, or allow it to hatch but doom billions on the planet below to ecological cataclysm" with a planet that doesn't have Earth's plot-armor.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    For some reason, I really disliked that Capadi episode with the sleep monsters.

The concept really didn't work for me at all, but having Clara and The Doctor just run from the problem because "fuck this shit it's too fucked up even for me" was a high point for me.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    edited June 2020
    Orphan 55 was definitely last season's stinker. I don't like it because it kind of negates the second episode of New Who where the Earth was going to get burnt up by the sun. Also, it goes against the last two episodes of that first season as well. Maybe the Earth was terraformed after Orphan 55.

Still, time is in flux on the show. Which kinda makes things meaningless in a way.

Krathoon on
    I got season 12 in the mail today. I am tempted to watch the Tesla episode or the one where she runs off with the Master's TARDIS. I think that was in Spyfall.