As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Voters Rights and the Suppression Thereof

Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
edited October 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
Doesn't look like anyone made a new one of these since the last one hit the stop about a month ago. I'll take suggestions and contributions for this OP, if anyone has some.

EDIT: And here's one, on the eve of the election itself, courtesy of SyphonBlue:
SyphonBlue wrote: »
So, every election for the past 3 and a half years I've been making these announcements: The organization I work for runs an election protection hotline, so if you or anyone you know runs into ANY issues or irregularities, please give us a call at 866-OUR-VOTE, text (866) 687-8683, or tweet at @866ourvote on Twitter.

You can also now (new this year!) go to https://866ourvote.org to chat with representatives. We just relaunched our site (literally this Friday at midnight I was up repointing DNS records) so it's easier than ever to find the help you need on a per-state basis.

Obviously this year will be a little different. We won't be having our normal huge call center in the office, but the call center IS still going on, just everyone will be doing it virtually from their own homes.

Please make sure to get the word out that if you know anybody who is having any problems, give us a call. We've already fielded over 120,000 calls this election, more than we've ever fielded for any election in history, and election day hasn't even happened yet.
SyphonBlue wrote: »
I should also mention we have multiple languages if English is not your first language:

ENGLISH - 866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683)
SPANISH - 888-VE-Y-VOTA (888-839-8682)
ASIAN LANGUAGES - 888-API-VOTE (888-274-8683)
ARABIC - 844-YALLA-US (844-925-5287)

----

What prompted me to check was this post in an SE++ thread:
Jedoc wrote: »
Oklahoma used to be one of three states that required absentee ballots to be notarized. I could go into all the reasons this is blatant voter suppression when there isn't a global pandemic on, but let me shorthand it for you.

1. The only three states with this requirement are Oklahoma, Mississippi, and Missouri. Everyone knows that if something is only done by those three very specific states, there is vile fuckery afoot and it probably doesn't bode well for any possible combination of traits that could be considered a minority group.
2. Each notary is only allowed to notarize 20 ballots per election. Democrats attempted to up that limit to 50 and were unanimously shut down by Republicans.

Anyway, what with the current unpleasantness, the League of Women Voters sued the election board over this requirement, rightly pointing out that the hassle and expense of notarization, as well as the increased postage, constituted an illegal poll tax. The Oklahoma Supreme Court agreed, and on Monday they struck down the requirement. Any Oklahoma citizen's signature affirms, under pain of perjury, that they are filling out this ballot under their own name. You know. Voting.

Hurrah! Justice is served, and fewer people will be out killing themselves to vote during the fall coronavirus spike! Sometimes you're OK, Oklahoma.

That was Monday. On Tuesday, a bill requiring all absentee ballots to be notarized unless there has been a public health emergency in the past 45 days was swiftly drafted. It passed the House on Wednesday, the Senate this morning, and was signed by the governor today.

Oklahoma is one of three states that require absentee ballots to be notarized.

Justice is swift.

Wait, no, the other thing.

Jacobkosh on

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Thanks for making the new OP. I am so sick of voter supression fuckery.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I grew up in Texas.

Hating Oklahoma is in my blood.

If I have to drive two days and register as a notary to fuck over Oklahoman Republicans so help me god I will.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Wait how in the hell can Oklahoma Congress override a legal ruling that something was unconstitutional? The entire point of the court is to say when a law is constitutional or not and if it's not then it gets struck down, end of story.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Wait how in the hell can Oklahoma Congress override a legal ruling that something was unconstitutional? The entire point of the court is to say when a law is constitutional or not and if it's not then it gets struck down, end of story.

Oh, you can pass all sorts of bullshit whenever you want and wait for it to crawl through the courts. Conservatives have been doing it for decades. Sometimes you'll get lucky and a judge will place an injunction on the fuckery, other times it stands until struck down. It turns out when you subscribe to an ethically and morally devoid ideology such as conservatism, making life worse for other people, especially minorities and the poor, is just daily routine.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    https://www.salon.com/2020/05/08/top-colorado-republican-orders-official-to-report-false-election-results-in-leaked-audio/

GOP in CO now on record ordering a staffer to submit false election results. In this case, putting a candidate on the November ballot even though they failed to qualify.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    His defense literally was that he wasn't telling the guy to break the law, just to abide by the decision of a committee that doesn't have authority to decide, and whose decision breaks the law.

"Now I'm not telling you to kill anyone, just to follow directions."
    "The directions were to kill someone!"
    "Now listen here you little shit."

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    The GOP really is just organized crime now, innit?

"I didn't tell you, or anybody, to whack the guy. I just said it'd be too bad if he got whacked."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    They aren't even that clever. He actually said he wanted the guy whacked, designated who he wanted to carry out the hit, and even provided the gun to do it with (i.e. the meaningless committee decision).

What's missing is the sack of cash. You don't pay your hitmen because their service is of commensurate value, you pay them because their SILENCE is of commensurate value.

Hevach on
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    I don't even get it - Buck ordered Bremer to put David Stiver on the general election ballot in addition to Larry Liston, even though Stiver didn't qualify. But they're both Republicans! I mean, maybe Stiver is more of a rat fucker than Liston, but wouldn't that just serve to fracture the GOP vote and make it more likely that the Democrat, Randi McCallian wins?

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Buck was talking about how the election was so unfair and Stiver should have won, so I'm guessing yes, Stiver is a consummate ratfucker and the seat is otherwise safe enough that Buck thinks they can make it an effective two way race between Republicans. Seems like a bad idea even if it wasn't illegal.

Hevach on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Nebraska is holding their primary this Tuesday instead of postponing. They do offer mail in voting, but of course they're not really advertising it at all. One of my buddies is an election inspector for one of the precincts, I told him that he should refuse. He says he was very tempted to, but he's going to go and just try to make sure its relatively safe and hope for a low turnout. Lots of people trying to spread disinformation about voter fraud with mail in ballots on our local news facebook pages.

I used to be an election worker too, but my previous job made it impossible so I had to give it up. of course, now that I'm unemployed, I'm free to work the one election I don't want to work.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Does an attempt to interfere politically that goes nowhere count? Or is it like Republicans with regards impeachment, incompetence and failure is a valid excuse?

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump · 15h
    "So in California, the Democrats, who fought like crazy to get all mail in only ballots, and succeeded, have just opened a voting booth in the most Democrat area in the State. They are trying to steal another election. It’s all rigged out there. These votes must not count. SCAM!"
    Not directly linking directly to the President, because fuck that guy. But here it is if you want the source.

Donnie either doesn't know, or doesn't care, that a local election like this isn't a state election, and so isn't "all mail in only". He also either doesn't know or care that it was a Republican Mayor that was the one who put this into place. He ALSO doesn't know or care that it's not the most Democrat area in the State, or the Republican wouldn't be up 4% (43-39, 10%U).

What he does know AND care about, is sowing division, and setting a precedent by which he can claim Democratic interference to help him in November. Making the outcomes of elections seem compromised is something he's already on record with.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/20/politics/donald-trump-i-will-totally-accept-election-results-if-i-win/index.html

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    And in news that makes your blood run cold, Jared Kushner says the general election is up in the air:

Jared Kushner, asked about holding the presidential election on November 3: "I'm not sure I can commit one way or the other, but right now that’s the plan."

Charles Davis is a reporter.

Well, fuck.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So they're floating the trial balloons for the maximum chaos route. Lovely.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Loath as I am to defend the little shit he does say very clearly that he has no say over it.

I think it was less a trial balloon than a stupid question the interviewer should not have asked.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Its such an obvious executive answer of "I don't know what you just asked so I'm going to answer in a way that covers my ass while not actually saying anything because I'm terrified by the responsibility of power even though it's all I seek"

These people are not smart, but our society is set up to reward them.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Doesn't the constitution have some specific language on who becomes POTUS if a vote result isn't ratified within a given timeframe? Not that I expect them to know what the constitution actually says.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    The ironic thing being there are set terms for president/vice president so if they delayed any legal authority they have goes poof then we wind up with the fun of some random ranking senate member becomes president. At that point we find out if there still is a country or not.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Loath as I am to defend the little shit he does say very clearly that he has no say over it.

I think it was less a trial balloon than a stupid question the interviewer should not have asked.

Gooseshit. The correct answer is "there will be a general election on November 3rd, and the administration is committed to deploying whatever solutions it takes to have that election."

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What Jared Kushner says has no bearing on the Constitution.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Flunkies in the Bush administration said similar things before 2004 and 2008. Some people just want to look more inportant than they are.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    kaid wrote: »
    The ironic thing being there are set terms for president/vice president so if they delayed any legal authority they have goes poof then we wind up with the fun of some random ranking senate member becomes president. At that point we find out if there still is a country or not.

It falls to the Speaker of the House first. Also, I'm not sure there's really any outcome where blue states don't try to hold elections, even if they have to all go vote by mail for it.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

It falls to the Speaker of the House first. Also, I'm not sure there's really any outcome where blue states don't try to hold elections, even if they have to all go vote by mail for it.

Nope if elections are not held there would be zero representitives as they all have set 2 year terms. So you wind up with who of the 2/3s of remaining senators who are not up for reelection gets it. Ironically this probably winds up being a democrat probably senator layhe because the GOP has a ton more seats up for grabs this election cycle than democrats so when all those senators suddenly fail out due to their term being over the senate would have a pretty healthy democratic majority.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Nope if elections are not held there would be zero representitives as they all have set 2 year terms. So you wind up with who of the 2/3s of remaining senators who are not up for reelection gets it. Ironically this probably winds up being a democrat probably senator layhe because the GOP has a ton more seats up for grabs this election cycle than democrats so when all those senators suddenly fail out due to their term being over the senate would have a pretty healthy democratic majority.

That's only if blue states don't hold elections.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    There’s no debate, this is 2 dipshits dipshitting it up

Election Day is the annual day set by law for the general elections of federal public officials. It is statutorily set as "the Tuesday next after the first Monday in the month of November" or "the first Tuesday after November 1".

Options people have for how to vote are set by states

Jared Kushner’s vacuous mouth-shitting about Election Day has as much weight as the gas that slips out of my fat ass every 14 minutes like clockwork

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    What Jared Kushner says has no bearing on the Constitution.

And apparently the Constitution has no bearing on Trump. So who knows.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    So, it looks like the voting rights of one individual (or as I like to call him, Individual-1) may be curtailed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/trump-made-florida-his-official-residence-he-may-have-also-made-a-legal-mess/2020/05/07/17d53fb2-849c-11ea-878a-86477a724bdb_story.html
    "The distinction is significant. The property is taxed as a private club — not as a residence, according to Palm Beach County property appraiser records. Trump’s own attorney assured local officials in Palm Beach before they voted to approve the club in 1993 that he would not live there. Mar-a-Lago’s website says only that Trump maintains “private quarters” at the club."

"Zeitz called Trump’s possible violation of his agreement with Palm Beach “a substantial and serious potential legal impediment” to the president using Mar-a-Lago as his voter-registration address and official domicile."

I'm assuming this gets sorted out in the next couple months, but this President not being able to vote in his own election, would be great.

Him doing so regardless, and being charged with election fraud should the Florida legislature and executive fall from Republican hands, would have me laughing so hard I'd probably hurt myself.

MorganV on
  • Options
    I mean

He voted as a Florida resident in 2018

• Options
    Devin Nunes giving away the game.

*clip of Devin Nunes pushing for promoting a policy for "ballot harvesting" that's apparently banned in 49 states, because "it's the only way to win".*

Ballot harvesting is "the collecting and submitting of absentee or mail-in voter ballots by volunteers or workers" (Wiki).

And if that seems like it's got the potential to be rife for fraud from bad faith actors, well... you would be right. 2018 North Carolina's 9th congressional district election was overturned due to clear malfeasance on the part of Republican campaign operatives meant that that election was not certified, and that multiple people have been indicted on a host of charges.

So of course this fucking weasel wants to expand it out.

• Options
    I imagine they think it's "win-win" - either they get to commit massive voter fraud, or get rid of vote-by-mail because of "concerns" about same.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    So this explains all the screaming about "the Dems" harvesting ballots for the California seat I saw a couple of days ago. Complaints that they needed to make ballots appear to win.

IT WAS ALL PROJECTION

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    So this explains all the screaming about "the Dems" harvesting ballots for the California seat I saw a couple of days ago. Complaints that they needed to make ballots appear to win.

IT WAS ALL PROJECTION

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-nc-election-fraud-charge-20190227-story.html

It always has been.

• Options
    "It's what we would do/are doing, so they must totally be doing it too - which justifies us doing it!"

(or even simpler, "everyone must be as crooked and evil as us, there's no other way to succeed/live/be, so they must just be better at hiding it.")

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    "It's what we would do/are doing, so they must totally be doing it too - which justifies us doing it!"

(or even simpler, "everyone must be as crooked and evil as us, there's no other way to succeed/live/be, so they must just be better at hiding it.")

See also the current conspiracy theory about Obama.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Oh, boy. What’s the latest one there?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

It's not really new, but it's that the entire Russia investigation was a coup and Obama must go to prison. They're just pushing it super hard now that Barr's dropped charges. The lame duck is going to be super fun if Biden wins.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    It’s unmasking (with Biden being subbed in for Susan Rice), wires tapped, Page and Sztrok (?), Yates trapping Flynn, etc etc etc

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020

It's not really new, but it's that the entire Russia investigation was a coup and Obama must go to prison. They're just pushing it super hard now that Barr's dropped charges. The lame duck is going to be super fun if Biden wins.

I do not look forward to finding out how hard Trump and co. are going to froth and flail if they lose in November. I expect every day leading up to January 20th will be a continuous glimpse at the raging id behind that man's eyes.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Probably lucky none of them can organize their way out of a paper bag, really.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

I do not look forward to finding out how hard Trump and co. are going to froth and flail if they lose in November. I expect every day leading up to January 20th will be a continuous glimpse at the raging id behind that man's eyes.

TBH, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that if he wins he just disappears. Literally ghosts the US, leaving his kids and Pence holding the legal bag.

And I don't mean to suggest that this is a plan. His plan is to win. But should that not happen, he'll lean over and whisper to someone "Get me out of here" and the next thing we'll know is that we see a lot of denial about Trump not being in the Whitehouse and how everyone who says otherwise is a lying liar.

Of course we need to vote in order to see that happen.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.