As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I have yet to find a Megalovania that didn't want me to rip my arms out of their sockets.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    azith28 wrote: »
    A knuckle on your finger or a knuckle controller?
    It was my actual mid-finger knuckle on my middle finger. I knew I hit it hard but didn't think it was that bad until I stopped playing and felt some stinging. Looked down and I had blood all over my knuckle. It's not bad, but it was enough to make me rethink my surroundings and guardian drawing.

Of course, that has only helped so much, as I punched a table last night at about the same time that one of my teammates exclaimed that he just punched his wall. That said, this is apparently a common thing in this game, lol.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I think part of that is just the nature of Echo Arena. I’ve punched more real world stuff in that game than anything else I’ve played in VR, by a large margin. There are just so many instances in every single game where you’re quickly extending your arms out, either above you or to the side (and even to the floor sometimes), try to snag a disc that’s just out of reach or punching someone flying by you, all kinds of stuff. It leads to very fast movements where you’re fully extending yourself, which the guardian system isn’t fast enough to catch before you’ve already punched something.

I think the only way to avoid it really is to just pull your guardian in as tight as possible and give yourself a good two or three feet of buffer outside of it on all sides. Not ideal if you don’t have a huge play space, but I guess it’s better than injuring yourself.

Playing outside is also a good option now on the Quest if you live somewhere that isn’t unbearably hot.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Have you played Gorn?

TimFiji wrote: »
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    While attempting to grab and throw a disc in virtual reality, I punched a vaccuum in real reality and busted a knuckle.... I'm a winner

No. You're the GOAT!
    There was a time what "goat" meant the silly animal. Nowadays, it has a totally different meaning where people think I believe that I am the greatest of all time, which in fact I enjoy thinking that I am a goat. I started using the tag during Unreal Tournament, because it was hilarious when the text read "You have been murdered by a_goat" or "You have been slaughtered by a_goat." Now, it seems to cause people angst, which saddens me. Still, I've used the same tag in almost everything for 15+ years, so I'm not changing it.

Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Have you played Gorn?

Yeah, I've played a reasonable amount of it. I would probably put it as #2 in terms of accidentally smashing stuff, but Echo Arena still beats it out by a lot in my book. For me I think the reason is that in Gorn, you're doing lots of flailing around for sure, but it's more constant and so you tend to get more heads up when you're getting too close to the guardian boundaries. With Echo Arena, you move in quick bursts... you might push off of a surface and float for a while without moving much, then suddenly extend your hand as hard and fast as you can to grab a passing disc or something. It's those more intermittent-yet-forceful movements that really fuck everything up, especially if you''re already close the boundary not aware of it.

Steam | Twitch
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I think part of that is just the nature of Echo Arena. I’ve punched more real world stuff in that game than anything else I’ve played in VR, by a large margin. There are just so many instances in every single game where you’re quickly extending your arms out, either above you or to the side (and even to the floor sometimes), try to snag a disc that’s just out of reach or punching someone flying by you, all kinds of stuff. It leads to very fast movements where you’re fully extending yourself, which the guardian system isn’t fast enough to catch before you’ve already punched something.

I think the only way to avoid it really is to just pull your guardian in as tight as possible and give yourself a good two or three feet of buffer outside of it on all sides. Not ideal if you don’t have a huge play space, but I guess it’s better than injuring yourself.

Playing outside is also a good option now on the Quest if you live somewhere that isn’t unbearably hot.

I think I'm too freaked out the sun is gonna vaporize my lenses to take the Quest outside :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    edited May 2020
    Last night's session of Echo VR was my best yet. I've been taking "playing goalie" like "playing defense" instead and have been hovering mid-field, moving laterally with disc movement to anticipate clears and it was working like a charm. And damn does it piss the opposing team off. If a disc gets by me, I'm way in front of anyone, so it rarely backfires. My shooting still sucks, but I think that's mostly due to no one else ever wanting to play defense, so I've been focusing most of my attention on that. Goalie is still really difficult, but I feel like I'm getting better.

And is it me or is it not lame to go up and stun the goalie? I think it's 100% fine and part of the game, but I'm hearing a lot of people bitching about it. If stunning the goalie is lame, then so is roosting in the goal.

Side note: I hit real life inanimate objects 3 times last night. Unless I get a bigger place to live (which won't happen), this is going to continue to be a problem, lol.

Le_Goat on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Last night's session of Echo VR was my best yet. I've been taking "playing goalie" like "playing defense" instead and have been hovering mid-field, moving laterally with disc movement to anticipate clears and it was working like a charm. And damn does it piss the opposing team off. If a disc gets by me, I'm way in front of anyone, so it rarely backfires. My shooting still sucks, but I think that's mostly due to no one else ever wanting to play defense, so I've been focusing most of my attention on that. Goalie is still really difficult, but I feel like I'm getting better.

And is it me or is it not lame to go up and stun the goalie? I think it's 100% fine and part of the game, but I'm hearing a lot of people bitching about it. If stunning the goalie is lame, then so is roosting in the goal.

Side note: I hit real life inanimate objects 3 times last night. Unless I get a bigger place to live (which won't happen), this is going to continue to be a problem, lol.

You might want to shrink your play area and make the 'wall' area more visible until your use to it.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    edited May 2020

You might want to shrink your play area and make the 'wall' area more visible until your use to it.
    I've tried that and I'm still punching shit like an juiced up asshat. My problem is that my play area is already so damn small that it can only shrink so much. When I put my arms in their fully extended wingspan position, I'm hitting the guardian limits in front and behind, with a slight cushion to my left and right. I'm 6-foot, so it's not super duper tiny, but my house is just too small.

The kitchen has a little bit more room, but every time I play in there, I end up knocking shit off of counters at 11:00+ pm at night or hitting the fridge, which freaking hurts.

Le_Goat on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I'm always worried I'm going to break the circle on the touch controllers when I hit things. It sticks up so much.

steam_sig.png
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'm always worried I'm going to break the circle on the touch controllers when I hit things. It sticks up so much.

I’ve seen lots of pictures of people who have cracked the circles on the updated Touch controllers. So yeah, it’s very possible, though weirdly it seems like they often still seem to work anyway.

The OG Touch controllers on the other hand... those things are nigh indestructible.

Steam | Twitch
  • SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Slortex wrote: »
    This feels like a game more than anything else that will really benefit from an untethered system.

I played it a lot with the vive wireless, and it definitely makes the experience much nicer. But it can be kind of awkward for opponents. I juked one guy and felt really pumped and made a comment about it that was met with some disdain. The game was designed to be played standing - all the movement your character makes is entirely with the jets/pushing of surfaces. So moving around in your play space makes your ingame character look as if they're 'sliding' laterally (or whatever axis your character is oriented on) through space despite not engaging their jets or pushing off of anything. Obviously this is possible even when tethered, but a wireless setup tends to encourage that kind of play.

Probably not worth worrying about unless you're in a super try hard setting, but worth keeping in mind, I think. I generally try to keep movement limited to turning.

Do people actually get upset about moving around in your play space? I honestly remember this being a key strategy when I was really into it, and definitely not something that was derided. Maybe things have changed. I hope not, because that was one of my go-to moves to evade someone grabbing the disk away from me.

I did play a couple rounds last night on Quest. I was surprised at how good it looked. There wasn’t anything that immediately stood out to me in terms of graphical fidelity that seemed like a huge compromise. The game itself was as fun as ever, though I’m way out of practice. I definitely need to find a bigger space to play.

Well, the time its come up has been if I mentioned that I was moving around in my play space to juke, and I heard somebody else say something flippant when someone else mentioned they were doing the same thing. Its probably difficult to notice as an opponent - you'd have to be sure that they weren't using their wrist jets to make the same movement. Its probably not as big an issue as I was suggesting above.

It does make sense to me as something that isn't really "in the spirit" of the game - non-jet or push-off based movement doesn't really exist in the game world. If you look at any of the pro matches, all the players are in a 1-meter or so square box - they're definitely not doing much in the way of juking.

All that said, I don't really consider it a large concern.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    That sounds like people who get upset when you demo them in Rocket League.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    That sounds like people who get upset when you demo them in Rocket League.

Didn't you know? Throws are cheap

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Seems to me like it'd be an easy enough thing for the devs to code around if they thought it wasn't meant to be part of the game.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Seems to me like it'd be an easy enough thing for the devs to code around if they thought it wasn't meant to be part of the game.

How?

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »

How?

There are dozens of games that actually limit the amount you can move within your playspace. I think it's bad design, but it's not at all uncommon. Stuff like teleporting you back if you step past the area right around you, or disabling functionality. If it were something you wanted to have be a hard rule in your competitive multiplayer game, you could easily toss up a warning if you get close and then outright kill the player off if they don't listen and cross the line.

The common denominator being that they're all games (Lone Echo included) that weren't really designed as full roomscale 360 degree games. We're still seeing the ghosts of Oculus's official stance being that the Rift is for seated gameplay, or standing but with two cameras and forward facing. Obviously the Rift is capable of more with a 3rd camera or with the Rift S's tracking technology, but the games are still designed around the limitations of two cameras and forward facing. I'm not sure if that's the case with their newer content, but it was up to the Rift S for sure.

Contrast Lone Echo to something like Smashbox Arena, which encourages you to use your playspace and dodge people with your body. The movement in the game purposefully has a lag time between wanting to teleport and actually teleporting, in order to allow for physical dodging to be a large part of the gameplay.

Fiatil on
    edited May 2020
    I know that there is going to be hate on this one due to a hefty subscription cost, but I thought I'd bring it up in here anyways.

Given our situation right now, I've been desperate to find some way to be active. I'm not a gym or health nut, but I do want to keep in some type of shape. I read about Supernatural last night and thought I'd give it a shot. The app is only on the Oculus Quest and is free to download, but there is a $19.99 monthly subscription fee (apparently right now you can pre-pay for a full year for a discounted rate of $150 (normally $240). However, there is a 30-day free trial and new subscribers can register to receive a free silicon cover to help manage sweat.

While the hitting of balloons mechanic in normal workout sessions is akin to a Hard level in Beat Saber, these things go on for ~30 minutes with 30 second breaks between songs. Combine that with squats and lunges at the same time and it's one hell of a workout. Given that you cannot fail, it's constant motion and activity, which is something Beat Saber cannot offer if you are trying to max out your score (I'm not docking points just to do "No Fail"). Apparently it also tracks your accuracy with hits and squats/lunges and tailors the experience to how you're doing, combined with comparing current stats based upon your historical stats (including how hard you hit targets). It works with some fitness tracking peripherals and also has a companion app for your phone/device that you link up to help monitor these things.

Anyhoo, if this is something I do somewhat regularly for the next 30 days (3-5 times a week), I may (MAY) consider subscribing. The subscription plan is definitely going to have people poo pooing on it, but I will say that I'm pretty impressed with how much it does work you out from neck to calves. You will sweat your ass off and you will get your heart rate up.

The weird thing is that I had trouble finding it and installing on the Oculus app, so I had to go through the browser to find it, then go into my inventory on the Quest to install it. Not sure what's up with that, but maybe it was just a fluke.

Le_Goat on
    I don't have a problem with subscriptions that are worth it, really. It does really just look like reskinned Beat Saber though :P

Steam profile
    kime wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with subscriptions that are worth it, really. It does really just look like reskinned Beat Saber though :P
    Totally understandable. This, however, isn't really a game per se. It's a fitness program that has thrown game elements into it to make it feel more like a game than just a workout.

Good news is it's free for 30 days of you want to give it a whirl.

kime wrote: »
    Totally understandable. This, however, isn't really a game per se. It's a fitness program that has thrown game elements into it to make it feel more like a game than just a workout.

Good news is it's free for 30 days of you want to give it a whirl.

I think I will. Thanks for the idea!

Steam profile
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    I find playing Echo Arena seated is a great way to play and you’ll never punch something by accident. Just snap turn instead of turning around.

camo_sig2.png
    Suds wrote: »
    I find playing Echo Arena seated is a great way to play and you’ll never punch something by accident. Just snap turn instead of turning around.
    I disabled snap turn because I have heavy thumbs and kept turning when trying to stop. I also reach down and jump up to grab the disc at times. Holding onto a stationary object and walking in my guardian I find helps me adjust my play area a bit.

But given I have a fully rotating gaming chair, that could potentially be an option. I may consider trying that out.

I submitted a couple of bugs yesterday because (a) if I'm playing a beta, I feel like I owe it to the devs to report bugs, and (b) these bugs are really pissing me off:
    1. Everything but the launch tubes goes black. I can't figure out when or why it happens, but my entire vision (aside from a few lines) goes completely black. The only thing visible are the launch tubes on both ends. Going to the Quest home and back in does nothing. Closing the game and re-opening does nothing. Loading another game thinking it's a caching issue does nothing. Sometimes even closing the game causes over half of my vision to be pixelated and completely black. Only rebooting the Quest fixes the issue.
    2. Due to my heavy thumbs, sometimes I'm trying to click the A or B buttons on the right controller and either end up hitting them both at the same time or also hitting the Oculus button. This brings me to the home screen very quickly like the game crashed, which is odd because even if I hit the Oculus button, it never gets to the homescreen that quickly. When this happens, now the right controller doesn't even function. Sometimes the left controller won't function. If I am able to get back into the game, sometimes it both controller work, other times they don't. Closing the game does nothing. Relaunching the game does nothing. Launching another game does nothing. Only fix it to reboot.

I've had some days where I've had to reboot 4 times in 2 hours, which is crazy. It's flat out made me stop playing for the night because I just can't be bothered anymore. Still loving this game, though.

Also, taking a show immediately after playing is really tough to do when you're washing your hair and your eyes are closed. I feel like I'm still floating around, lol.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular

Part of what makes the Oculus Quest the best VR headset for most people is its versatility. We love the wireless freedom it affords, but should you want to plug it into your PC to play games available for the Rift (such as Half-Life: Alyx), you can. Initially, this required a "high quality" USB 3.x cable, though a recent software update has lowered the requirements—you can now use a regular USB 2.0 cable.

It might have just been that I was able to switch to the backplate with my longer cord, but it feels like this also made the connection more stable? Only with a sample size of one session though

steam_sig.png

So guys, is there a discussion thread anywhere on the PA forums to discuss level creation using the source toolkit? With the release of the Half-life Alyx tools, I think a lot of people would be interested (including myself) but know nothing about how to get started. Like, im even unclear on how to download the tools. it says to right click on HL:A, DLC and select it from that list but its not showing up in my list.

Anyway, does some kind person who knows how this works want to setup a thread with some nice tutorial info?

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    So guys, is there a discussion thread anywhere on the PA forums to discuss level creation using the source toolkit? With the release of the Half-life Alyx tools, I think a lot of people would be interested (including myself) but know nothing about how to get started. Like, im even unclear on how to download the tools. it says to right click on HL:A, DLC and select it from that list but its not showing up in my list.

Anyway, does some kind person who knows how this works want to setup a thread with some nice tutorial info?

I think the closest would be the game development thread in G&T.

Have you tried restarting Steam? The DLC is showing for me.

I had to make some changes to my settings for some reason. it showed up in the list now thanks.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Felt like a badass jumping into RE7, after playing Farpoint even at the maximum turn speed settings and walking speed it feels pretty slow and comfortable, no motion sickness feeling at all.

Got about an hour in before I had to nope out of it just due to the tension ramping up, went to play something fluffy and remembered being told about the free Jackal mission for CoD: Infinite Warfare. Turns out flight sims are a whole different type of VR legs.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    While I'm greatly enjoying Alien: Isolation in VR (I wonder if I can handle its horror better because of the familiarity of the environment - I've watched the original Alien so often...), the current VR replay confirms what I felt the first time round, namely that the game would've benefited from being tightened. Overall, the progression begins to feel pretty repetitive, marring the game's pacing in the second half. And while I'm a pretty seasoned VR player, I definitely have less tolerance for games that go on too long in VR.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Finally just finished Alyx. Christ, that's something else isn't it?
    I mean, there's no way HL3 is VR only, right?

Steam | Twitch
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Thirith wrote: »
    While I'm greatly enjoying Alien: Isolation in VR (I wonder if I can handle its horror better because of the familiarity of the environment - I've watched the original Alien so often...), the current VR replay confirms what I felt the first time round, namely that the game would've benefited from being tightened. Overall, the progression begins to feel pretty repetitive, marring the game's pacing in the second half. And while I'm a pretty seasoned VR player, I definitely have less tolerance for games that go on too long in VR.

I think I played for something like 18 hours on my first playthrough, and I was a pretty careful sort. The game simply spends too much time bogged down on the robots; they're a decent enough concept as a counterpoint to the hyperfast instant lethality of the alien, but then they have you doing stuff like navigating multiple sections with multiple bots each and it just gets tedious and time-consuming. The game could probably lose a solid 3-4 hours of time just from dealing with robots and be a much better experience for it. Towards the end of the game I definitely found myself just trying to sprint through robot sections as much as possible, just to get them over with.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    Felt like a badass jumping into RE7, after playing Farpoint even at the maximum turn speed settings and walking speed it feels pretty slow and comfortable, no motion sickness feeling at all.

Got about an hour in before I had to nope out of it just due to the tension ramping up, went to play something fluffy and remembered being told about the free Jackal mission for CoD: Infinite Warfare. Turns out flight sims are a whole different type of VR legs.

Oh my yes. Similarly I think of myself as having pretty strong VR legs, but the first barrel roll I did in War Thunder had my head spinning something fierce!

Finally just finished Alyx. Christ, that's something else isn't it?
    I mean, there's no way HL3 is VR only, right?
    I'm thinking that its not..but Valve supposidely has 2-3 additional HL:Alyx type games in the works. If that means they intend to spin off Alyx in its own VR series, or if they intend to do a barney or god knows, a portal spinoff using VR, i think the main HL3 will still be regular FPS. the pace of the two types of games are too different i think to really completely take over for each other.

Echo VR matchmaking is the gaming version of bipolar disorder. I'll get into one game with all nice people all trying to have fun and be supportive, mostly around the same skill level and I'll usually end up playing pretty well. Then I get thrown into a game of mostly 50s with people trash talking me the entire time about how I suck. Then I get thrown into a game with a bunch of mid teens and tweens all yelling that I am cheating or that I don't do exactly what they order me to do. I imagine this is what Rocket League would be like if everyone used a mic.

And then there are the homophobic racist rants that I endure during those teen/tween games. It's basically the gaming equivalent to 4Chan. I sincerely hope I was not like that when I was 14. Then again, the early 90s didn't have voice comms in video games yet. Still, I'd like to think I never would have said the shit I've heard over the last couple of days.

edited May 2020
    Looks like Beat Saber is getting a bunch of new tracks/maps on May 25th.
    20 new beat maps—10 with 360 degree support and 10 with one-saber support

New 360 Beat Maps:
    Expert +:
    • Rattlesnake, Monstercat
    • Reason For Living, Morgan Page
    • PopStars, K/DA
    • Rum N Bass, Boom Kitty

Expert:
    • Escape, Jaroslav Beck
    • Fire, Ready, Aim, Green Day
    • Digital, Imagine Dragons

Hard
    • Has a Meaning, Timbaland
    • The Greatest Show, Panic! At The Disco
    • Luv U Need U, Monstercat x Rocket League

New Single-Saber Maps
    • Unlimited Power, Jaroslav Beck, Frank Bentley
    • Escape (NO Expert), Jaroslav Beck
    • This Time, Monstercat
    • Believer, Imagine Dragons
    • High Hopes, Panic! At The Disco
    • PLAY, Monstercat x Rocket League
    • American Idiot, Green Day
    • While We’re Young, Timbaland
    • Origins, Jaroslav Beck/Jan Ilavsky
    • Reason For Living, Morgan Page

EDIT: I should note that after looking through the track list, it doesn't look like any new tracks, but more maps for existing tracks... I'm less excited now.

Le_Goat on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i'm not a fan of single saber or 360 really, so this isn't that exciting to me. Never say no to more content, though!

I finished Westworld awakening tonight. Despite being a stealth-horror game, which really is taken to another level in VR (I don't know how you could play aliens in VR without having a heart attack). I guess because the jumpscare elements were pretty well telegraphed, and most of the time you could keep your eye on the stalker, instead of him sneaking up behind you, so it was just a tense, not peaks and valleys. I won't spoil the Westworld parts of it, since a lot of it is from after season 1, but it was extremely well executed, and actually had a really good (if predictable) storyline.

I'd definitely recomend it, though maybe not at full price, since it's only a few hours long. It is on viveport infinity though, so if you have that it's definitely worth a download.

steam_sig.png