As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    If we focused on 60fps then we wouldn’t have realistic horse testicles in rdr2 and I for one am unwilling to make that sacrifice

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    In my opinion, some games just look better in 30fps

particularly if they're going for a more cinematic feel

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I mean fundamentally you are trying to tell people that this is important (in video game contexts, not change the world contexts) but everyone else is saying they would far prefer the game designers on making visually interesting worlds (or fun ones, without bugs) than this holy grail of frame rates.

This is one of the arguments I hear all the time about why PC gaming is superior, and I say cool. I can’t play those games on my couch.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Assassin's Creed 3 ran so poorly on 360 that it actually gave me a headache if I played it for longer than 20 minutes, so I've always side-eyed these games on a performance level

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Knowing the little I do about how these games are developed, the fact they work at all is a minor miracle.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Blake T wrote: »
    I mean fundamentally you are trying to tell people that this is important (in video game contexts, not change the world contexts) but everyone else is saying they would far prefer the game designers on making visually interesting worlds (or fun ones, without bugs) than this holy grail of frame rates.

This is one of the arguments I hear all the time about why PC gaming is superior, and I say cool. I can’t play those games on my couch.

I mean... you can play PC on the couch. I don't know if you mean based on controls or just hookups, but there are fixes for both things. I personally don't bother, but you could play any PC game from any setup really.

To your other point, games with artistic graphical choices also have technical issues to think about. One of my examples was Shadow of the Colossus, which famously ran like total shit in a way that damaged the experience. The Ps4 version is just a flat improvement (the Ps3 version should have been, but they woopsied a few things during the porting process).

Other super arty games that... are still better with a good framerate/better technical performance include:
    - Zelda Wind Waker HD
    - Okami HD
    - Majora's Mask on 3DS
    - All the Kingdom Hearts games on Ps4/Xb1
    - Every Platinum Wii U game that's been ported, actually

Basically, you're presenting a false choice, like a great art style means the bedrock fundamentals don't matter anymore. Nah dog, your feng shui house looks great, but you still need central air and fire exits.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Okay everyone tell him he's finally convinced you so we can move on

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    @shoeboxjeddy you're correct, FPS is the best index of a society's quality of life

However

I lived in an apartment without central air, and it only had one entrance. i lived there for three years.

Is my existence valid?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Basically, you're presenting a false choice, like a great art style means the bedrock fundamentals don't matter anymore. Nah dog, your feng shui house looks great, but you still need central air and fire exits.
    Fire exits are a requirement for safety, the central air analogy is good though. Some people like it, it might be a deal breaker for others, and then there's folk who are just fine opening the windows and let the breeze blow through.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    @shoeboxjeddy you're correct, FPS is the best index of a society's quality of life

However

I lived in an apartment without central air, and it only had one entrance. i lived there for three years.

Is my existence valid?

yes but only for three 10 min periods in 1986

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    also all i know is my nvidia keeps telling me that FRAMES WIN GAMES so i've been buying pictures none stop

soon i will have games

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

I mean... you can play PC on the couch. I don't know if you mean based on controls or just hookups, but there are fixes for both things. I personally don't bother, but you could play any PC game from any setup really.

To your other point, games with artistic graphical choices also have technical issues to think about. One of my examples was Shadow of the Colossus, which famously ran like total shit in a way that damaged the experience. The Ps4 version is just a flat improvement (the Ps3 version should have been, but they woopsied a few things during the porting process).

Other super arty games that... are still better with a good framerate/better technical performance include:
    - Zelda Wind Waker HD
    - Okami HD
    - Majora's Mask on 3DS

Yeah that’s cool. Tell me more about these games that were later remade on more powerful hardware which makes my point still valid.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

- Zelda Wind Waker HD
    - Okami HD
    - Majora's Mask on 3DS

Yeah that’s cool. Tell me more about these games that were later remade on more powerful hardware which makes my point still valid.

Nah, I've gotten the hook. I'm just waiting for the post non-subtly telling me to get out to get 30 heart icons. People should probably stop @ing me when the goal is to get this conversation to stop and for me to stop talking. That's counterproductive.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020

- Zelda Wind Waker HD
    - Okami HD
    - Majora's Mask on 3DS

Given that those are all remakes

Wouldn't the art/story/etc be the bedrock, and the technical aspects the additive construction?

Straightzi on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    How many frames per second per capita

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    imagine having a goal of 30 heart icons

I wouldn't stop talking for less than 60 HI myself

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    shut the <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 up! you silly!!! goose!!!!!!!!!!!

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Time for this conversation to move on

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Started playing AssOdd again now that I've played AssOrg

I like the Hidden Blade as much as the next person, but maaaannnnn is that spear cool

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I should play the AssOdd

I just never could get myself to finish the AssOrg for some reason.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Replaying the ezio trilogy and man the precursors are such dicks. Oh you humans are not wise, and you commit war and don’t remember our stuff. Hey didn’t you like make us to be your slaves, maybe can it with the holier than thou shit. Also who gets beaten by a solar flare, you dicks

Also they were apparently a parkour based society based in their technology

I don’t have much hope in the future for a certain direction I want at least one instalment to go in. And that’s playing a character who rightly recognises both the Templar and asssassins are insane murderous assholes and just tries to go their own way. But in universe the assassins are like canon good guys so it wouldn’t make sense.

They had this storyline with the Russian revolution side scroller and I really liked it, basically the assassin wanted nothing to do with Templars or assassins anymore after seeing so much bloodshed, and just wanted out with his family

Prohass on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I've never played the side scrollers and I've never played Rogue, but I just picked up Rogue from the Epic sale. Wonder how that will hold up.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    I recently replayed Rogue and it's got some jank but I still think it's pretty fun

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Prohass wrote: »
    Replaying the ezio trilogy and man the precursors are such dicks. Oh you humans are not wise, and you commit war and don’t remember our stuff. Hey didn’t you like make us to be your slaves, maybe can it with the holier than thou shit. Also who gets beaten by a solar flare, you dicks

Also they were apparently a parkour based society based in their technology

I don’t have much hope in the future for a certain direction I want at least one instalment to go in. And that’s playing a character who rightly recognises both the Templar and asssassins are insane murderous assholes and just tries to go their own way. But in universe the assassins are like canon good guys so it wouldn’t make sense.

They had this storyline with the Russian revolution side scroller and I really liked it, basically the assassin wanted nothing to do with Templars or assassins anymore after seeing so much bloodshed, and just wanted out with his family

I mean, the last time there was a storyline concerning the actual Assassin organization vs the actual Templar organization, they made it pretty clear both were dicks. It's just the Assassins dropped all the trappings and changed, and the Templars were better at what they were doing in the first place.

The one before that, it was clear to the player that both were dicks, but again, the Templars were better at it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i would like it a lot if it turned out the precursors worshipped parkour as the athletic science of the gods and that's why all the assassins have to be so good at it

• Options
    edited May 2020
    i would like it a lot if it turned out the precursors worshipped parkour as the athletic science of the gods and that's why all the assassins have to be so good at it

later they focused more on eagle vision but part of subject 16's "why do we have these gifts... these abilities? because.... it's. in. our. BLOOD!!!" was clearly about being really good at parkour, they focused on how good adam and eve were at parkour to communicate that they were the ancestors of the assassins

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Adam and Eve freerunning and parkouring through the heavenly forest primeval buckass naked just flappin in the wind

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Adam and Eve freerunning and parkouring through the heavenly forest primeval buckass naked just flappin in the wind

You jest, but this is canon

It is in fact, The Truth

https://youtu.be/A-bibDttnQE

• Options
    I'd prefer them to be having more fun with it but I suppose they are running from God which would be very scary

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I still want that Adam and Eve Assassin's Creed game, but only if Adam has a boyfriend called Steve

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

You jest, but this is canon

It is in fact, The Truth

https://youtu.be/A-bibDttnQE

Oh man. I knew about that, but I don't think I'd ever seen the full clip.

That 'wow' at the end really sells it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I started Odyssey

... is it normal to be getting my ass kicked by so many things

• Options
    edited May 2020
    If you’re not used to the combat maybe? It took me a while to get good at Origins which is a similar combat system as odyssey

A few tips personally, don’t use lock on unless against a single enemy, like a boss. It restricts your ability to avoid damage by reducing your spacial awareness. There’s no need to use it unless you want to focus on a single enemy. You instead are better off with the pulled back regular camera for dealing with groups

Experiment with whether you’re better at block or dodge, I prefer dodge but some people like block. You will eventually learn to use both depending o the situation, but early on I found blocking harder than just dodging everywhere like a maniac. Oh and hold dodge to do a roll which will put out flames if you get set in fire

And the more skills you unlock the game gets way easier. In general try to keep armour at your level, you can scale it up at smiths but you’ll likely be getting lots from drops anyway.

Spend early skill points in combat is my advice, you can go stealth or archery, which end up super powerful, but I feel like early on it’s better to have raw damage and health to fall back on. However don’t worry too much about it, you can respec at any time and for the most part there’s no wrong way to spend points, this is just what I found helped me

When stealth killing avoid captains and higher ranked enemies initially, as your early stealth kills won’t kill them outright, so it’s better to thin the lower level guards first so if you do get exposed you have less enemies to fight against. Essentially it’s kind of like a mini game, try and stealth as many low level guys first, then go for the higher ranked guards, and if your stealth kill fails you’ll have less enemies to deal with

Running away and hiding will save your progress, so if you get a whole base after you, don’t be afraid to just run and hide outside the base, it will save and any guards you killed will stay dead when you go back in. So you can thin out large groups Bit by bit this way even if it does feel rather sloppy

And if all else fails don’t be afraid to lower difficulty temporarily until you get a feel for things then move it back up. There’s no penalty for doing so and it doesn’t effect achievements

Prohass on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    wait but if they have these abilities because they're descended from Adam and Eve then shouldn't everyone be able to do super hardcore parkour?

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Well if you think about it most games the main characters already know parkour, and so do most characters. And nobody even comments on it, i’m pretty sure in this reality parkour is just a normal part of growing up

Prohass on
  • Options
    Not every human is descended from AC's version of Adam and Eve, they were just the first two humans to rebel against Those Who Came Before

• Options
    the early games had the concept of an "assassin bloodline" descended from adam and eve, the first human-isu hybrids, that kind of got dropped, until legacy of the first blade reintroduced the idea as "tainted ones"

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Hoo boy
    I really wanted Legacy of the First Blade to be... not what it was

• Options
    legacy of the first blade sucks ass for numerous reasons, but one thing I will say for it is that I like how it returned to one of the initially appealing concepts of assassin's creed, which is that all of these people are related and we are watching the story of a family across generations

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    But like everyone is related are we not cousins