As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I hope you don't mind the old [SE++ WoW] thread

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    The spooky guy with red eyes is Wrathion, one of Deathwing's kids or grandkids but not "corrupted" .

There is a Cataclysm quest in the Badlans where you help a red dragon hatch him from and keep him alive and safe from being corrupted by other black dragons and Deathwing. Reward is a trinket that summons him as a whelp to fight for you for a minute or so.

Then in Mists of Pandaria he hangs out at a bar and gives you quests that let you put sockets and special gems in your weapons and eventually a legendary cloak, all the whole hinting at an incoming demon invasion and trying to escalate the horde vs alluance war because he believes the only way to beat the demons is to have one dominant faction instead of this halfsies deal we have.

Then during WoD he is absent, and in Legion you run into his servants saying we are all douchebags for not consolidating into one faction via warfare, and it's this big mystery of where is he? This continues trough early BfA.

Then in the latest patch he shows up and tells the SW king about N'Zoth, and i guess they had no way to shuehorn this to the horde player any other way than "Valeera was at that meeting so she's just going to tell you what happened". Then you do a quest chain that ends with Wrathion hanging out in the Chamber of Heart (your special BfA necklace), and next step is to kill N'Zoth. And he gives you a legendary cloak again!

Then in the raid,
    you fight him in dragon form as first boss
    except it's not really him, it's N'zoth fing with you with an illusion. Then after you best the first 3 bosses, Wrathion gives you a speed boost when you res after a wipe to get you back to the fight. Then in boss before last he
    opens the way to fight him. Then he helps restore your sanity in second to last and last boss (if you don't dodge sanity drain mechanics you get mind controlled).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    were his servants hanging around in Legion? I don't remember a single hint of Wrathion in the whole expansion

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    were his servants hanging around in Legion? I don't remember a single hint of Wrathion in the whole expansion

They are stealthed in Highmountain.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Also, a lot of people ship Anduin and Wrathion, which seems weird to me but eh.

Well, the first interaction I saw between the two involved Anduin punching Wrathion in the face, who responding by making a snide remark and then saying "I guess I might have deserved that."

So uh, yeah, I can absolutely see shippers just taking that dynamic and going nuts.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    i think he's mad at wrathion because wrathion helped break garrosh out of jail which started wod

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Wrathion was supposed to be in legion but they replaced him wholesale with the black dragon Tauren dude.

The way they kept dodging him returning only for him to just kind of come back like it was no big deal was super anticlimactic.

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    Wrathions agents are also vaguely present for one of the island expedition quests. Where they mumble some totally-not-foreshadowing about the dragon isles before telling you to leave.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The fact the Dragon Isles wasn't a part of this expansion both makes no sense, and also makes a ton of sense?

Like it may be saving for an entire expansion, but at the same time BFA was totally the fucking kitchen sink of WoW lore things to tackle in a single expansion, so why not.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    “You killed my father!”

Wrathion: “About that…” -Looks over.-

Anduin: “What?”

Wrathion: “Bruh. You hung up a chunk of my father’s remains for the world to see and invited me to stand by them?”

Anduin: “I see nothing wrong with this.”

Wrathion: “And you punched ME?!”

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Wait I missed that part...Anduin hung what up where?

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I think he's just making a joke about that chunk of deathwing's chin being permanently hung up in orgrimmar and stormwind.

• Options
    no Anduin literally asks Wrathion to come look at what's left of Deathwing's face

• Options
    So my gear is still mostly shit, but I have 2 stacks of Baleful Invocation and Explosive Impact and yes please I like this a lot.

Turns out shitting out a billion imps at the speed of light is pretty fun!

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    so this is probably a repeat discussion, but man the horde is really directionless huh?

Without fail, their leaders die or turn evil every expansion. Every expansion features at least one bad guy group that was at least in some part affiliated with the horde, and some of the racial factions have a rotating cast of leaders who haven't really had much development or done enough for me to care about them. On the flip side, every expansion's Good Guy NPC is aligned somewhat with alliance, and the horde just tags along (Khadgar, Tirion, Magni).

Do alliance players get this same feeling with their leaders, or am I just sour grapes?

• Options
    thrall is a good guy

ergo the writing is perfect

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Only from and thrall can be heroes

We even got the "incase you forgot grom is orc Jesus" when he was crucified in the raid at the end of wod

I still lol about that

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular

We even got the "invade you forgot from is orc Jesus" when he was crucified in the raid at the end of wod

I still lol about that

Im not dismissing the jesus allegory, but the whole strung up on a cross bit was a direct reference to his lords of war video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRnabRRi1ik

Pretty much every one of the warlords had some callback to their video in WoD somewhere. Like killrogs whole "This is the death I foresaw" being his fathers last words to him or whatever.

Which really makes you curious as to why these videos werent given to the players at any fucking point in the game, like how we got the harbingers in legion.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    The MoP videos also should have been included in the game. WoW has had a really bad habit for a long time of including rather key story and characterization development in content outside of the game, which leaves the players who play the game confused or just giving up on following any of the lore at all.

• Options
    it sounds like you can only equip one legendary at a time in Shadowlands

• Options
    i hate having character development in books

you expect me to read? what am i some kind of nerd

• Options
    zucchini wrote: »
    i hate having character development in books

you expect me to read? what am i some kind of nerd

Yes

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    stupid thing that actually owns: there's an anima power for DHs called warden's shackles that makes imprison last for 10,000 years

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    ha

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    fuck you blizzard, I ain't no cop

• Options
    why would DHs want anything to do with Wardens

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Zenyatoo wrote: »

We even got the "invade you forgot from is orc Jesus" when he was crucified in the raid at the end of wod

I still lol about that

Im not dismissing the jesus allegory, but the whole strung up on a cross bit was a direct reference to his lords of war video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRnabRRi1ik

Pretty much every one of the warlords had some callback to their video in WoD somewhere. Like killrogs whole "This is the death I foresaw" being his fathers last words to him or whatever.

Which really makes you curious as to why these videos werent given to the players at any fucking point in the game, like how we got the harbingers in legion.

hahaha I dont remember this

the dranei asking if varian is a bitch is amazing

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    this has been the first xpac where I see a daily and immediately ignore it

the "look for chests (except Mechagon) ones" and the look for 12 different items in Nazjatar one

not worth the time it takes

• Options
    edited May 2020
    this is the content that makes shadowlands great

ae5070vczbg5.png

zucchini on
  • Options
    Decided to use the 110 boost I got for preordering Shadowlands on an Alliance Rogue, mostly to see more of spooky drowned witch land from the Alliance pov, and also because low level rogue is boring as shit.

Initial impressions are 1) Spooky drowned witch land is cool as hell, 2) Rogue is a whole lot more fun at 110, I'm enjoying all three specs a lot, and 3) oh my fucking god all of the Alliance characters are fucking nerds. Except for Jania, who is mildly terrifying, but only because she gives off the vibe of someone who would be really into eugenics and racial cleansing. Like, Jania creeps me the fuck out and I'm not entirely sure why.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Jaina used to be the "why can't we all just get along" alliance character, and then warcraft writing happened so now she's CORRUPTED BY REVENGEANCE

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Kinda tangential to WoW itself, but does Warcraft 3 Reforged still completely fucking suck?

I kinda want to pick it up just to play through the old single player campaigns, but I can't remember if the game itself was busted or only the multiplayer/online stuff.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    As someone who never played Warcraft III I have been slowly limping through Reforged single player and the game is fine!

• Options
    T4CT wrote: »
    As someone who never played Warcraft III I have been slowly limping through Reforged single player and the game is fine!

I think the complaints were:
    - multiplayer has (had? I have no idea) some issues
    - they had initially promised all the in-have cutscenes completely redone to a higher standard and they ended up not
    - they had initially promised that would make in game city and town layouts match how they look like in WoW but they ended up leaving them how they originally were laid out in WC3

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    when it first was released there were some sort of game-breaking bugs with the single player too but I think they fixed them in a week or two

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »

I think the complaints were:
    - multiplayer has (had? I have no idea) some issues
    - they had initially promised all the in-have cutscenes completely redone to a higher standard and they ended up not
    - they had initially promised that would make in game city and town layouts match how they look like in WoW but they ended up leaving them how they originally were laid out in WC3

Yeah totally, but you also understand how as someone who never played the game basically none of those complaints actually register to me except the multiplayer one

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i don't think they were trying to sell you, specifically, on those complaints and that you should think them too

but that game was definitely a mess when it released that was much lower in quality than initially advertised

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Jaina used to be the "why can't we all just get along" alliance character, and then warcraft writing happened so now she's CORRUPTED BY REVENGEANCE

I deffo thought her and Thrall were gong to knock boots at some point

• Options
    i don't think they were trying to sell you, specifically, on those complaints and that you should think them too

but that game was definitely a mess when it released that was much lower in quality than initially advertised

Yeah sorry I didn’t mean to make it seem like that it was more of an aside than an actual reply (I just replied cause it was in response to my post)

I definitely get why people were upset by it but my party line since release (cause I had it preordered) was that if you had no real expectations for that game (me) it was actually still a pretty good experience and that has been how I’ve experienced the game

definitely wasn’t meant to downplay that people had a right to be upset with what they’re upset about

• Options
    I just can't believe they nuked the old client you have to like steal it if you want old patches or already have a copy separate like I do

icGJy2C.png
This discussion has been closed.