As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Septic tanks and heavy rain.

JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
Hello everyone,

We recently had some extremely heavy rain here in Chicago. The lower portion of my house got flooded, with water coming in from the back yard.

Now, this is where my septic tank sits. Could the water that entered my home be from the septic tank? Should I be careful while cleaning up? My drains all seem to work fine if that helps, and there is no sign of water backing up from the pipes.

Thanks

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Septics are generally sealed systems, though your leech/drain-field will be nearby, but if it's coming in through your foundation or something it's probably not any worse than normal groundwater unless the leech field is right on the back end of your house (I don't even think this is a thing anyone has ever done).

If you're worried you can use a respirator (if you can find one) and use some cleaning supplies (if you can find them) while cleaning up the excess water. I don't think you have much to worry about though, you'll know right away if it's from your septic.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Ah, it would smell? Definitely didnt.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ah, it would smell? Definitely didnt.

Yeah effluent from the leech field still smells pretty bad. It's probably not like.. drinkable water but get it out then give it a little bit of cleaning with some bleach in solution or something.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Yeah, no smell. I figured it would be more like, greywater or something and not have a scent. Thank.