As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mods know too much about the [Conspiracy Theories] thread

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    The chewable vitamins would have to be big enough to cause a choking hazard which is the primary reason why it's dosed as two. The secondary reason is because they are more expensive to produce than the swallow vitamins (which are once per day) so they can set the price the same for the same "quantity" of vitamins even if it's half the doses your be buying.

• Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Most bots don’t seem to bother posting any “regular looking stuff.” Either that or there are some very sad people out there who never post anything except retweeting negative news articles about Democratic leadership.

I think the sad reality is that the accounts that obsessively vilify the Democratic leadership are the actual people. The bots (on Reddit at least) are usually active in sports-related subs or similar where you can do simple natural language generation to make a meaningful post.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Also for all the "explosion in cases" most places haven't even reached 1% population in confirmed cases

That just means there's a lot of room for exponential growth if things get out of hand.

I know, but the implication here was that there were too many sick people to still be tweeting

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    CNN reporter:
    *snip*

OAN, a news network Trump likes because it is even more clearly propaganda than even Fox, is going full batshit conspiracy.

I'm pulling this over from the covid discussion thread, because holy fuck how are we supposed to play conspiracy bingo if you fill out the card with every call? Like literally every conspiracy term/dogwhistle and imagery jam packed into a 4 minute clip.

steam_sig.png
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Nice touch as well to have the marked police at the end also being in SCP vests too.
    I'm also not sure if "the other drug was manufactured by Germany...in the 30s" is an intentional thing either - I would have thought that OAN is largely anti-European.

But yeah, that is nuts.

• VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Nice touch as well to have the marked police at the end also being in SCP vests too.
    I'm also not sure if "the other drug was manufactured by Germany...in the 30s" is an intentional thing either - I would have thought that OAN is largely anti-European.

But yeah, that is nuts.

While they're probably anti-European in general, I wouldn't be surprised to find they have an unexplainable soft spot for 1930's Germany.

steam_sig.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I was about to say “wow they even got a guy who sounds Russian to give the report”

But he probably was

wbBv3fj.png
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    So the big question is whether Trump actually watches it, or just likes the reporters asking friendly questions.

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    So the big question is whether Trump actually watches it, or just likes the reporters asking friendly questions.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/01/05/trump-media-feedback-loop-216248
    Looks like mostly Fox and Friends. If that changes, it'll be obvious. (Or maybe this latest conspiracy will just make its way over to Fox.)

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Watching the simpsons episode where homer has a character on tv who they change to a bumbling sidekick

“No wait maybe he’s just acting stupid to infiltrate a gang of international idiots”

And I realised this describes Q Anons entire thesis

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    speaking of, The Atlantic just did a longform piece on how QAnon is now deeply entwined with evangelical christianity
    (Clive Thompson is a journalist and writer)

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    But the preordained is short term stuff here, its 'trump is going to lay down the hammer', when it doesnt come to be, and theres no revolution, does it die out like the small groups that were actually planning on a 2012 Armageddon?

This American Life did a really good, really sad podcast about those people. Kids who had parents that were basically abandoning everything and not letting them make any kind of future plans because the world was going to end. Stuff like refusing to talk about being able to go to a birthday party that weekend, because there was no point. The parents stopped caring about their kids education or any issues in life. It sounded like a nightmare for anyone in the immediate vicinity of them. I'd really like to see how that turned out. You basically have 2 choices, realize you fucked up, or you follow the next numerologist that says the date was miscalculated, but this time, (THIS TIME!) only he has interpreted the signs correctly, and its coming at a future time/place.

I think the worst I've personally seen is when you start to get a small rumblings locally about the end of the world for one of these endless goal post moving nostrodomuses, the worst thing that happens is they plan a rager for the night before in question. And it's 99% intended as a reason to get shit faced and 1% a reaction to a reminder of our own mortality.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I'm still partial to the idea that UFOs are actually interdimensional projections of skin parasites scraped off of space whales, but whatever

*sulks*
    tynic wrote: »
    speaking of, The Atlantic just did a longform piece on how QAnon is now deeply entwined with evangelical christianity
    (Clive Thompson is a journalist and writer)

I feel like the author didn't look back further than Pizzagate. With it's roots in Satanic Panic, it was never not tied to evangelical christianity. Pizzagate wasn't remotely novel, the script has been rehashed by anti-semitic/anti-government conspiracies for decades (if not over a century?). The only distinction of note under the QAnon theme is that it inserts a popular government protagonist (who happens to lack the scrouples to disavow the association) into the narrative. It seems more correct to say that Q merely politicized what already had an appeal to sovcits and loopier evangelicals, to the effect of increasing it's appeal to those driven by political tribalism who happen to trend evangelical.

(Yeah, I see the draft: It stays!)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Alex Jones now claims to have been the original casting choice for Starlord in the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Alex Jones now claims to have been the original casting choice for Starlord in the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise.

what

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    He's very red, it sounds plausible to me

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Ha, as long as he's pushing implausible ideas on his gullible fanbase, might as well make up one that makes him seem cool, I guess.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Only if Guardians of the Galaxy was directed by Richard Linklater

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    But the preordained is short term stuff here, its 'trump is going to lay down the hammer', when it doesnt come to be, and theres no revolution, does it die out like the small groups that were actually planning on a 2012 Armageddon?

This American Life did a really good, really sad podcast about those people. Kids who had parents that were basically abandoning everything and not letting them make any kind of future plans because the world was going to end. Stuff like refusing to talk about being able to go to a birthday party that weekend, because there was no point. The parents stopped caring about their kids education or any issues in life. It sounded like a nightmare for anyone in the immediate vicinity of them. I'd really like to see how that turned out. You basically have 2 choices, realize you fucked up, or you follow the next numerologist that says the date was miscalculated, but this time, (THIS TIME!) only he has interpreted the signs correctly, and its coming at a future time/place.

I think the worst I've personally seen is when you start to get a small rumblings locally about the end of the world for one of these endless goal post moving nostrodomuses, the worst thing that happens is they plan a rager for the night before in question. And it's 99% intended as a reason to get shit faced and 1% a reaction to a reminder of our own mortality.

No. Qanon has been going on about "Trump's going to lay down the hammer anyone second now" since literally the moment they existed. It just keeps mysteriously moving.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    A lot of people auditioned for Starlord, and there's a few who might be able to claim to be the "original pick" even if it's not strictly true - Jim Sturgis was supposedly the first fitted for a costume and Joel Edgerton was listed on a deadline report as the first screen test. From what's publicly available, more than a dozen actors were high enough on the shortlist to get either a costume fit or a screen test, some of which ended up in other roles in Guardians (Lee Pace) or elsewhere in the MCU.

You know somebody whose name never turned up on any public or leaked document, screen test, costume fit, whatever? Who has not in eight years since the film was announced said a single word about auditioning? Alex Motherfucking "Pants-Afire" Jones.

I just don't even get this one. It's the wrong brand of crazy, it just doesn't fit his pattern and my brain can't adequately process it.

Hevach on
    edited May 2020
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

No. Qanon has been going on about "Trump's going to lay down the hammer anyone second now" since literally the moment they existed. It just keeps mysteriously moving.

The Evangelical doomsday cult has been expecting an apocalypse in the next 3-5 years since at least a century or two before the word Evangelical was invented. They have shamelessly believed that the world is at about the halfway point of a seven-year pre-Rapture tribulation since the idea of the Seven Year Tribulation was created. The author of Revelation believed the events he described had already started. They've shrugged off literal millennia of Antichrists (sometimes five or six of them at a time!) failing to fulfil their demonic duties and Second Comings that really didn't live up to their Tinder profiles.

Six minutes after he leaves the White House they won't even remember that Trump was supposed to save us all because the next guy was *always* the one.

Hevach on
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    the Joker director and Joe Rogan are buddies, and Joe Rogan and Alex Jones are buddies, so we might have gotten an Alex Jones Joker

Hevach wrote: »
    A lot of people auditioned for Starlord, and there's a few who might be able to claim to be the "original pick" even if it's not strictly true - Jim Sturgis was supposedly the first fitted for a costume and Joel Edgerton was listed on a deadline report as the first screen test. From what's publicly available, more than a dozen actors were high enough on the shortlist to get either a costume fit or a screen test, some of which ended up in other roles in Guardians (Lee Pace) or elsewhere in the MCU.

You know somebody whose name never turned up on any public or leaked document, screen test, costume fit, whatever? Who has not in eight years since the film was announced said a single word about auditioning? Alex Motherfucking "Pants-Afire" Jones.

I just don't even get this one. It's the wrong brand of crazy, it just doesn't fit his pattern and my brain can't adequately process it.

If you have the misfortune of listening to his show, at least recently, he has constant childish, self-aggrandizing lies that are often stupid. Things like regularly driving sports cars at 150+ mph on I-35 in the middle of the night, having killed multiple people in hand to hand combat as a teenager, either having had sex with, or been offered sex by, various famous women. There was another recent one about having a $20,000 telescope as a teenager and discovering comets or something. He comes across like the kid who claims his uncle is a Green Beret that works at Nintendo. It happens almost every episode.

Zavian wrote: »
    the Joker director and Joe Rogan are buddies, and Joe Rogan and Alex Jones are buddies, so we might have gotten an Alex Jones Joker

That would be great:

"Do you know how I got these scars? Well I'll tell you after I talk about food buckets for awhile"

*proceeds to never mention scars again*

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

That would be great:

"Do you know how I got these scars? Well I'll tell you after I talk about food buckets for awhile"

*proceeds to never mention scars again*

A joker scheme to turn frogs gay for "reasons" is not entirely implausable.

Joker would probably just give all the frogs boners and call it done.

bonerdisplay.jpg

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Hevach wrote: »
    Joker would probably just give all the frogs boners and call it done.

bonerdisplay.jpg

I feel this is relevent:

4iRujPsZ15y0PtIbKpjQdJPyRB610voWZva9LKGc5OM.jpg?auto=webp&s=40b24331dcb16f8a3b496f48ba0fc76871737af4

p.s. Yes, I know it's photoshopped, but it's still damned funny.

Darth Waiter on
    edited May 2020
    If it wasn't fake, I would 100% guarantee it was intentional. The Joker's boner issue involved a "boner themed crime spree" based on "history's greatest blunders. This for some reason involves Joker crashing a battleship into the mud and climbing a very tall bell tower. It also involved pirates, swords, cigars, a very long limo, and a rocket, because subtlety was never an option.

Hevach on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

What a bunch of asshole

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Does irony have a mens rea requirement?

quda3qos68l4.jpg

Because if not chrome's newsfeed is guilty af

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Something like 45% of all tweets about SARS2 are done by bots and most of them are spreading conspiracy theories (5G and the like). Very likely Russians are doing it, as usual. SARS2 is killing their own country too but gotta own the libs Americans.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    EDIT: Christ I thought this was the coronavirus thread.

Nobeard on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Something like 45% of all tweets about SARS2 are done by bots and most of them are spreading conspiracy theories (5G and the like). Very likely Russians are doing it, as usual. SARS2 is killing their own country too but gotta own the libs Americans.

I’m gonna say, it’s probably a fair share home grown assholes

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

I’m gonna say, it’s probably a fair share home grown assholes

Yes, the Republican Party probably got their own bots. Heck, since that sort of thing is expensive they might even be using Russian troll farms still! Much cheaper.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    It was actually somewhat refreshing to learn this morning that The United States isn't the only country with a delusional "sovereign citizen" movement. In fact, if you talk to the right people, you'll learn that the nation of Germany doesn't exist. You can free yourself of the shackles of this international conspiracy and become a free citizen of Neudeutschland by listening to the enlightened words of the country's rightful king (and also donating €390). There are other fees as well, naturally, but it's all worth it to support the reign of king Peter, a karate instructor who hit puberty at 6 and has magical powers.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It was actually somewhat refreshing to learn this morning that The United States isn't the only country with a delusional "sovereign citizen" movement. In fact, if you talk to the right people, you'll learn that the nation of Germany doesn't exist. You can free yourself of the shackles of this international conspiracy and become a free citizen of Neudeutschland by listening to the enlightened words of the country's rightful king (and also donating €390). There are other fees as well, naturally, but it's all worth it to support the reign of king Peter, a karate instructor who hit puberty at 6 and has magical powers.

In a similar vein in Canada we have the Cascadia movement, Vancouver and washington combine and become their own country with bits of a couple other nearby states

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    King Peter’s subjects are adherents of the Reichsbürger movement, whose members believe Germany doesn’t exist. The republic, they contend, is a limited liability company controlled by the Allied victors of World War II—and, according to the more anti-Semitic, the Rothschild family. Reichsbürgers print their own passports, often refuse to pay taxes, and clog courts with paperwork, along the same lines as the U.S. “sovereign citizen” movement.

Even seems to have the same core as the US version, that supposedly because a government incorporates it is a for profit business and not a legitimate government.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

In a similar vein in Canada we have the Cascadia movement, Vancouver and washington combine and become their own country with bits of a couple other nearby states

I dunno if that's the same thing? Do they pretend Canada and/or US laws don't apply?

edited May 2020
    I've gone down the German sovereign citizen rabbit hole. The whackadoodle with his truck full of legal documents proving he's a king isn't even the only one. There's also this group that maintains a make-believe legislature representing the Weimar Republic (or... Uh... It's immediate successor but they don't say that part out loud), justified by the same thing, incorporated government is invalid government, and a judge once said that the German Empire never truly fell (ignoring that the judge then said it lives on in the current government and modern borders).

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Provisional_Imperial_Government

The US has one of these. I haven't heard much of them in years except when an actual congressman resigned to go join them fifteen or twenty years ago.

Hevach on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Always remember this quote from Meads vs Meads
    This category of litigant shares one other critical characteristic: they will only honour state, regulatory, contract, family, fiduciary, equitable, and criminal obligations if they feel like it. And typically, they don’t.

This discussion has been closed.