As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMABaton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
edited February 2023 in Social Entropy++
Hey nerds. Do you like to apply varying types of heat to raw materials and convert them into delicious end products via alchemy or some shit? If so, this is the place for you!

Here's some recent creations of mine

OdY6ENnl.jpg
Burgs with provolone and tomato and greens with some mac and cheese on the side

xzGIyzHl.jpg
Miso, lemon, and garlic salmon with some togarashi on top and rice a roni and sauteed kale

5vGp2bjl.jpg
Muffaletta!

What have y'all been cooking? What are you proud of? What needs work?

DJ Eebs on

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    It's good to see you, @Erin The Red !

Those dishes look delicious

I have not done too much cooking lately

my girlfriend and I have made some things on the grill, but I don't have any pictures

We made some tasty stuffed jalapenos last weekend, they were pretty easy and tasted good

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I been cooking "what thee fuck do we have in the fridge that needs to get used quickstyles" lately.

Tomorrow I gotta use these avocados but I'm working 12 hours sooooooooooooooo I guess it's waiting until Saturday.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My main burner on my stove is still busted

Really cramps my style

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    It's good to see you, @Erin The Red !

Those dishes look delicious

I have not done too much cooking lately

my girlfriend and I have made some things on the grill, but I don't have any pictures

We made some tasty stuffed jalapenos last weekend, they were pretty easy and tasted good

Damn I could go for some stuffed jalapenos right now
    sarukun wrote: »
    I been cooking "what thee fuck do we have in the fridge that needs to get used quickstyles" lately.

Tomorrow I gotta use these avocados but I'm working 12 hours sooooooooooooooo I guess it's waiting until Saturday.

Whole mess of guacamole?
    Uriel wrote: »
    My main burner on my stove is still busted

Really cramps my style

Urgh that's the worst

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    yay cooking!

today I'm drying a few bunches of fenugreek leaves
    jgkjksymwwxe.jpg

making spruce tip ice cream
    lcdwwv7k91sm.jpg

and this evening, laying block for the smokehouse I'm building! the slab and rebar are done
    cgev3dt1o4yc.jpg

2dj89molnkll.jpg

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Been making a lot of breakfast tacos lately, but the only tortillas I could find recently are tire sized monsters, so now I cut out the center of them to make a smaller tortilla and it feels vaguely ridiculous.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Make burritos, comrade

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Breakfast taco, you say? Tell me more.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Make burritos, comrade

Don't want that much bread!

Eggs, some kinda protein (I like sausage), little tomato, maybe some cheese. Dash of hot sauce. Perfection.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Got a new baking stone yesterday, aw yiss. It's in the oven now for a stepwise pre-dry. Once I've gotten it up to 550 and baked it for a bit to offgas any manufacturing byproducts, it'll be good to go.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Make burritos, comrade

Don't want that much bread!

Eggs, some kinda protein (I like sausage), little tomato, maybe some cheese. Dash of hot sauce. Perfection.

I like putting potatoes in too because CARBS FOR THE CARB GOD

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    What if

Breakfast chimichangas

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    working late

no smokehouse work for me tonight =(

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I made tikka masala for lunch, and for dinner I will be making tikka masala chimichangas (sour cream, shredded colby and some rice as added ingredients). Hoping the ingredients mesh together, though I honestly can't see that combination failing.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I made pot roast tonight, compete with a red wine gravy.

And sourdough pretzels.

And I drank a half glass of wine and now I'm all warm and fuzzy and kinda sleepy.

Twenty year old me is embarrassed at my lightweight-ness.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Whole mess of guacamole?

Not enough for that

Thinking about just slicin' 'em up and drizzling some olive oil on 'em.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Seriously.

Half a glass of wine.

I got hot, dizzy, giggly, emotional, vulnerable.

I need to go back to not drinking. Lol

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Nothing wrong with being a lightweight - it means you only need a teensy little bit, so you can buy the really really nice stuff and it lasts for ages.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    It's Friday! This is good. It would be better with some cinnamon rolls, though.

ilskvwyyu50d.jpg

5d0v6k3ht5ra.jpg

Ahh, there we go.

edited May 2020
    well I suck royal at laying block, but the smokehouse is taking shape!

stgfdtt6ge5b.jpg

edit: it should be noted that the yard is on a steep incline (for a yard anyway) and the block is level

well some of them are level

edit2: well, the blocks seem fairly immobile and nothing fell down so I guess I did ok!

Xaquin on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    We have a gigantic lilac tree that is slowly dying in our backyard, and being stuck in quarantine and staring at it while I work has really made me appreciate it while in bloom this season. This year for the first time I clipped a bunch of flowers and made a big batch of lilac simple syrup. I've been dabbling with it in iced tea and various cocktails over the past few days, and I think on Sunday morning I may whip up a batch of buckwheat waffles and try it out on them.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Good news, buddy. Now you've got a steamer.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Tried some Costco Chicken Tikka Masala and it was pretty good! I've never actually had it before. Now I'm going to have to run down some authentic stuff locally, or try making it myself.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    don't forget the fenugreek!

• Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    I've been making a ton of pizza over the last few weeks off of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDpCzJw2xm4

A few days ago I made a batch of dough but subbed ghee in place of olive oil and took a bunch of notes as relates to my process and as accurate a list of ingredients as I could mostly to determine nutritional info

a6F13Hdl.jpg

Crust Notes
    It's pretty good after 24 hours in the fridge! It falls apart a lot faster over the week though and based off of making my last pizza out of the batch of dough 4 days after I'd say that's as long as I'd let it go for

What I notice right off the bat is the crust has kind of a softer bite to it but is still decently snappy, and I can taste the faintest whisper of the butter flavour which I'm finding I prefer over olive oil

It's a pretty subtle difference, flavour is marginally better but stretching it is just a little bit trickier as it seems to rip a bit more readily, not bad enough to be a huge problem but the dough doesn't last long before it's all devoured

The first piece of dough I used I only let rise 24 hours and I found it wasn't quite stretchy enough for me to fill out a 14" pizza pan as I usually do, but I got it to stretch to about a 12" diameter - after that first day they were all pliable enough for me to get the usual size

Sauce Notes
    I've been making most of my pizza lately with storebought canned sauce since I knew I wouldn't always feel up to making it homemade

This will likely change given the last batch of sauce I threw together like a whirlwind through the kitchen last second when I realized I had no sauce and no time to run out and get more

I basically smashed my tomatoes, put tomato paste in to hurry the thickening (probably a little overboard but it was still totally tasty to my palate), added seasonings I knew I'd like and kept tasting til it felt right, it's almost a little jammy, probably a little on the thick side

This sauce was so appealing and simple to make but I still think it needs a little bit of know-how and confidence in the kitchen since I think that of any dish that depends on tasting as you go

It wouldn't hurt to add onions, sub the garlic blend for actual fresh garlic, basil, and oregano, but I was really happy with how this came out

I stored it all in a strawberry jam jar I'd just emptied and recognize it in the fridge by the crusted tomatoes around the lid that I barely bothered to wipe off

Cheese Notes
    You can probably use any grated parmesan product but if you can spare the money parmigiano reggiano cheese is absolutely worth it

I spent stupid money - $13 on half a pound of 22-24 month aged parm at a specialty shop in a high cost of living city - but I could have gotten it for half that at Costco and even at the cost I paid it was basically $1.14 for how much cheese I use on a given pizza which I can live with when it's this good

The mozzarella I use is branded Galbani Pizza Mozzarella or Saputo Mozzarellissima but honestly the key for me here is finding a cheese with 20% milk fat, 52% moisture, you got that and you'll get similar results

Ingredients & Miscellaneous Notes
    I noted the ingredients down in MyFitnessPal which I listed below since I've been eating so much pizza that I should probably be keeping track of the damage

DOUGH
    2.5 cups warm water (Best results between 90-100 F)
    1 tsp active dry yeast
    1 tbsp sugar
    2.5 tbsp ghee OR 2 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp kosher salt
    5 cups bread flour (base amount, expect to work a little more in depending on ambient moisture)
    0.25 cup bread flour (you might not need this but I work it in when I'm counting calories just in case)
    2 tbsp olive oil (should cover what you leave the dough in to rest, you'll leave some behind when you pull the dough but I include it for estimation's sake)

This makes enough dough to split into 4 roughly 14-inch pizzas if you got your stretching down, you should definitely manage 12-inch no problem

Each dough ball is an estimated 940 calories including the extra olive oil it rests in

SAUCE
    1 28-oz can San Marzano-style tomatoes (you can honestly probably get away with any 28-oz canned tomato in about any style, but I like these the best so far)
    1 5.5-oz can tomato paste
    1 tbsp olive oil
    0.5 tbsp garlic herb seasoning blend* (or whatever italian herb blend you can find)
    1 tbsp sugar*
    1 tsp kosher salt*
    1 tsp ground black pepper*

Slowly crush the hell out of the tomatoes with your bare hands, you want it all finely crushed but you don't wanna paint the walls, get it in a saucepan and don't bother draining

Just throw all the rest of the shit in with the crushed tomatoes and stir it until it's fairly uniform or at least as uniform as a mildly chunky sauce will be, stir occasionally and keep an eye on it til it's the consistency you like

*NOTE! Seasoning amounts are loose estimates!! I eyeballed this stuff and just kept throwing more sugar, pinching salt, and grinding pepper into the sauce as I went in tiny amounts as I kept it cooking - start here but taste and adjust as you go!

Whole recipe is an estimated 600 calories - I really don't recall the exact amount I used, it was like 5 heaped tablespoons but this will be enough to sauce about 4-6 pizzas depending on how much sauce you like, just glomming it over adds 100-150 calories per pizza which ain't bad so far as I'm concerned

I'll probably revisit this later, actually measure by weight what it all cooked down to and how much I use in a given pizza but I'm happy enough assuming overly generous portions for the sake of shooting under my calorie limits

TOPPINGS
    20 grams parmigiano reggiano cheese
    100 grams mozzarella cheese (20% milk fat, 52% moisture)

Grate the parmesan through the finest holes your grater has and do the mozzarella on the big round shreds, you really likely don't need me to tell you this though

Get your hands high up over the pizza when you sprinkle the cheese over - especially the parm - I swear you'll get more even coverage

The cheeses combined should work out to 360 calories (~80 parm, ~280 mozz) which I will add up and divide with other components below:

Rough Calorie Breakdown
    Dough = 700 calories
    Oil = 240 calories
    Sauce = 150 calories
    Cheese = 360 calories

Total = 1450 cal/pizza = 181.25 cal/slice
    (assuming cut into eight)

Honestly not bad as far as I'm concerned, I'll eat half and I have a hard time feeling bad about a 725 calorie dinner

If I want anything else I cut it as absolutely thinly as I can, I run my knife through my cheapy Ikea ASPEKT sharpener every time I cut my toppings

I'd estimate my cuts are 1/4" to 1/8" but in any case just go as super thin as you can manage, you can always overlap if you want more stuff but I want to make sure the toppings don't screw with the cooking too much

After all those notes I'd taken the other day I had made the last of the ghee pizza dough tonight, 4 days after I initially made this batch

Overall it's still delicious but it definitely falls apart faster than the olive oil dough does, but it's not impossible to work with

I've been hearing the recipe I use for my dough lasts up to a week in the fridge, but I wouldn't let this ghee substitution age past 4 days as it starts to spider-web like crazy fairly soon in

With all that said I imagine my comments make it out to sound like a pain to work with, but it's still absolutely delicious and though knuckling it out does get risky, doing the gravity pinch works just fine so long as you're careful and generally have the practice to know how the dough handles
    TXRh6bnl.jpg
    MZKHb64l.jpg
    Yop7Fhql.jpg

I love sinking my teeth into this pizza, it's got a really nice crisp crust and you can really hear it

https://youtu.be/WxVggMTYSH4

I know. Vertical video. Sue me. Lock me in jail. Gut me like a goddamn fish!!

Anyway the crust is definitely still excellent regardless of the dough struggling to hold together - torn between doing the regular olive oil crust next time or maybe even splitting the fat evenly between olive oil and ghee to see what happens

I made a Jewish Apple Cake for our first dinner guests in 7+ weeks.

it came out so amazinnngggggg i love it so much so much comfort food.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Tried some Costco Chicken Tikka Masala and it was pretty good! I've never actually had it before. Now I'm going to have to run down some authentic stuff locally, or try making it myself.

Find your nearest Indian restaurant. Good Tikka Masala is fucking fantastic.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I made Alison Roman's shallot-anchovy pasta today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSVI5oqtlAo

It was a hit! I do think my ratios were a bit off though (oz-> gr conversion can do that), hers looks a little oilier, darker and thicker with...shallot mass. I sliced mine a lot thinner though. Either way it was really good! Oh yeah and I used spaghetti, because it's what I had.
    Mine doesn't look quite as pretty, but it'll do!
    kn1q871adjvn.jpg

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Smokehouse is coming along. The hardest part is done. It isn't level or square, but it will hold smoke when it's done and that's all I care about.
    c07in3k5s8ea.jpg

and in old project news, my black felt finally arrived so my spice rack door is back on the docket.

should hopefully be finished soon!
    cg4ekp4tccd9.jpg

qz6ixms10gz5.jpg

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

The problem is that Indian is under represented around here, and the two current restaurants are both closed right now for the immediate future. Believe me though, when they open back up I'll be eagerly in line. Indian is one cuisine I've never really explored before, I really need to alleviate that.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Dried fenugreek makes a lot of things better.

Also I ordered some cheese making supplies today because starting to drink IPAs can't be my quarantine thing, I accept that I'm a cliche but I don't have to like it. I got a culture and some wax to try a hard cheese and a kefir culture because I needed to hit the free shipping amount but the very first thing I'm going to try is a mozzarella because I know who I am.

ooohhh cheese making sounds awesome

keep us posted!

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

The problem is that Indian is under represented around here, and the two current restaurants are both closed right now for the immediate future. Believe me though, when they open back up I'll be eagerly in line. Indian is one cuisine I've never really explored before, I really need to alleviate that.

There are only two restaurants? Or there are only two restaurants that were open because our new apocalypse?

Blake T wrote: »

There are only two restaurants? Or there are only two restaurants that were open because our new apocalypse?

There's only two main restaurants in town in general for the last few years. We had a couple food trucks for a while, and every now and then another restaurant will make a go.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    The trick here is to find a Nepalese restaurant. It's like Indian but kicked up a notch.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

There's only two main restaurants in town in general for the last few years. We had a couple food trucks for a while, and every now and then another restaurant will make a go.

I genuinely do not know what I would do if there were only two restaurants I could go to.

Cook more myself I guess, but it just seems like a thing that would drive me crazy. How many people live in your town?

I genuinely do not know what I would do if there were only two restaurants I could go to.

Cook more myself I guess, but it just seems like a thing that would drive me crazy. How many people live in your town?

Two Indian restaurants. We have dozens and dozens of restaurants across the board.

Oh ok. That makes way more sense.

Oh ok. That makes way more sense.

Hahaha yea. A town small enough for just two restaurants is a town too small for me. Even the town I grew up in that had about 6000k people had over a dozen places to eat and a couple chains. Though it was quite exciting during 6th grade when we finally got a McDonalds.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

We have lots of great Mexican, though. And some damn good seafood. I enjoy living an hour from the coast.

Commander Zoom on
This discussion has been closed.