As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Hey, so everything is on sale and I haven't played since launch

1. what DLC is worth it, or better than others? Does Flashpoint really mean that much of an improvement over the normal non-campaign career mode? HM has a ton of content, Urban seems skippable?

2. Buying the package that includes the base game and all DLC is cheaper than just the DLC - anyone know if I'll get a gift able copy since I already own?

Depends on where oyu're buying. Steam, for example, on some bundles will give you the discounts for the bundle but not he stuff you already have. Sometimes though you are buying another copy of the game and can gift it.

96058.png?1619393207
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Hey, so everything is on sale and I haven't played since launch

1. what DLC is worth it, or better than others? Does Flashpoint really mean that much of an improvement over the normal non-campaign career mode? HM has a ton of content, Urban seems skippable?

2. Buying the package that includes the base game and all DLC is cheaper than just the DLC - anyone know if I'll get a gift able copy since I already own?

If you are buying the package from Steam you don't get any extra keys in the package. But the good thing is that they discount the package with what you already own (I wish they just gave you the option for keys or discount).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    MLAS does indeed have 270 optimal range in MW5. MLAS is really good in MW5

It's really good in all the Mechwarriors, to be honest. Particularly the modern ones with slot restrictions (MW4/5/Online). 1 ton 1 crit for the heat/damage/range output of a MLAS is unbeatable. The only times I've really wanted to swap them for something else were when I'm driving something slow and need more range, or if it's an omnimech and I have a bunch of tonnage left over after maxing armor and bumping engine/heatsinks to comfortable levels.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    is all the DLC worth?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The first two, yes.

If you are a long time player then the third is also worth it as that DLC is 100% the Devs saying, "yo, lets have a crazy fun nonsense time." If you're still playing through the main game then some parts of it can really break the difficult curve right in half.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited May 2020
    So, I just opted in for Game Pass and now I can buy Mechwarrior 5 from the Store for $39.99. It says that it is a $10 discount with membership. So does that meant that I could have just bought the game from the MS Store for $50?

Edit: Apparently I can. I just checked with a different browser that was not logged in and yeah shows up.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mechwarrior-5-mercenaries/9pb86w3jk8z5?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    So, I just opted in for Game Pass and now I can buy Mechwarrior 5 from the Store for $39.99. It says that it is a $10 discount with membership. So does that meant that I could have just bought the game from the MS Store for $50?

Edit: Apparently I can. I just checked with a different browser that was not logged in and yeah shows up.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mechwarrior-5-mercenaries/9pb86w3jk8z5?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Are you trying to buy it or just play it? If you just want to play it, MW5 is included in your PC Game Pass subscription with no extra cash outlay needed.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Iolo wrote: »

Are you trying to buy it or just play it? If you just want to play it, MW5 is included in your PC Game Pass subscription with no extra cash outlay needed.

To elaborate, in the Windows Store thingy built into Windows 10, you should have two options: 1) Install (this is the Gamepass thing), and 2) "Buy to Own" (if you want to continue playing should you decide to cancel your Xbox Gamepass subscription, you'll need to do this option eventually).

EDIT - @Betsuni ultimately, you could see this as paying $1 to demo the game for a month and, if you like it enough, get a $10 discount should you decide to buy it.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |

I'm usually one to buy, but this time I'm going to rent it since there is this and a few other games I want to try out. But figured I would let people know there is an alternative to the Epic store for MW5 (albeit full price).
    Erlkönig wrote: »

To elaborate, in the Windows Store thingy built into Windows 10, you should have two options: 1) Install (this is the Gamepass thing), and 2) "Buy to Own" (if you want to continue playing should you decide to cancel your Xbox Gamepass subscription, you'll need to do this option eventually).

EDIT - Betsuni ultimately, you could see this as paying $1 to demo the game for a month and, if you like it enough, get a $10 discount should you decide to buy it.

Yep, that's my plan. Then wait for GoG and get it for cheaper there. Just kidding, it'll never show up there.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Ok double post.

MW5: I played the first two missions and I'm having some fun with it. Well the two missions past the training.

Targeting and piloting sucks since I'm going to need to get used to the movement of the mechs. I was bummed that you can take damage running through buildings and stepping on tanks. It was fun using them as roller skates though. The cooldowns slightly annoyed me but it was easy to manage after a while. I'm going to need to get used to the timing so I can torso twist effectively.

Hopefully I will get to the multiplayer part to play with others here.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I don't think smashing through buildings damages you...?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2

Hmm. Maybe the explosions? I know the tanks blew up... So maybe I ran through a gas tank?

oosik_betsuni.png

Hmm. Maybe the explosions? I know the tanks blew up... So maybe I ran through a gas tank?

Yeah, red-lined buildings (so, things like fuel tanks) will explode and result in damage). Vehicle explosions (tanks, SRM/LRM carriers, etc...) will also cause damage to you. And, something I discovered the other night, a shot-down helicopter/VTOL that crashes into you will also result in damage.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |

Yeah, red-lined buildings (so, things like fuel tanks) will explode and result in damage). Vehicle explosions (tanks, SRM/LRM carriers, etc...) will also cause damage to you. And, something I discovered the other night, a shot-down helicopter/VTOL that crashes into you will also result in damage.

Ah ok. Watch out for red... Gotcha. Good to know.

Another thing that is completely apparent playing this versus MWO. I am not sure if it is because of skill trees, but man does armor actually feel like tinfoil in this game. Of course this was piloting the Javelin so that thing doesn't have much armor. I also don't like the forward and reverse. Need to find if I can bind it to be like MWO where I hold the key down and it goes faster. Let it up and the mech slows down or slam on the reverse to slow down faster.

oosik_betsuni.png

Another thing that is completely apparent playing this versus MWO. I am not sure if it is because of skill trees, but man does armor actually feel like tinfoil in this game. Of course this was piloting the Javelin so that thing doesn't have much armor. I also don't like the forward and reverse. Need to find if I can bind it to be like MWO where I hold the key down and it goes faster. Let it up and the mech slows down or slam on the reverse to slow down faster.

Throttle Decay is an option in the settings, so you should be good.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    For those that may care, Battletech Extended 3025 has been updated today. Huzzah!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

You also take damage from jump jetting into vtols but its awesome so who cares

Notably you dont take damage from stepping on turrets. (And turrets on supports can be killed by destroying the supports) Damage from stepping on tanks is still pretty low for bigger mechs so definitely worth it a lot of the time.

Re: BTE. It removes ace pilot! It also makes jump jets much more rare but i dont know if that is a positive or negative thing

Also saving your game in the middle of a mission can/will prevent you from loading it so know that before you attempt that in an iron man game.

wbBv3fj.png

Throttle Decay is an option in the settings, so you should be good.

Oh heck yeah... Now I need to boot it back up. Also I noticed that you can use all of your Jump Jet fuel and still have enough to feather your landing. Amazing!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Other colored buildings can have special damage types as well. There are some blue ones that have a sensor scramble effect and orange ones that add heat i think.

Re:armor.

Base armor on almost all mechs is hella low and armor in general is “twice equivalent in tabletop”. While dmg/Dps on tabletop is kind of all over the place*. So you will get pretty creamed in the base fit.

*with good reason.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for all the advice guys. The problem isn't the aircraft or anything at the beginning of the mission though, I can get through that usually with barely any damage, it's at the end when the mechs drop that I'm running into a wall. What I've been doing is heading west of the southwesternmost fuel dump, there I will position my forces behind rocks and on the other side of a hill, then I will blow the nearest fuel dump and make the first assault traverse a huge open area to reach me and my team. I can usually kill most of them before they get to me, although the faster mechs do sometimes get some shots in. It's when the 2nd dropship where the Warhammer and Panther come that I have absolutely no chance. They just steamroll me. The closest I've gotten is 3/4 destroyed before being taken out myself. I'll try shifting my strategy to keeping my units amongst the buildings and see what happens, but I really need some human pilot support methinks.

Edit: I'm running a Vindicator with a PPC as the main weapon, and my AI squad mates are in a trebuchet with dual LRM15's, a shadow hawk with an AC-5 and an LRM10 (I think), and an enforcer with a large laser. We are set up for ranged combat.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    If any of you are bummed out on the difficulty curve of vanilla Battletech, then I have two three mod recommendations:

This one is a must have:
    Bigger Drops
    • This mod allows you to drop with more than four mechs. Don't freak out! It doesn't let you do this from the beginning! You have to upgrade/refurbish parts of the Argo to actually utilize a full lance.
    • The way it works is that you have to upgrade the Leopard's tonnage capability to drop more weight AND the Argo's command and control capability. If you just upgrade tonnage you can drop more mechs, but your extra mechs will be AI controlled (which is terrible, but that's not the mod's fault).
    • While you can tweak the mod, the maximum drop tonnage goes from 400 to around 660. You're not dropping two full assault lances. But this opens up a lot of possibilities to use different late-game lance setups than just four assault mechs.
    • You could, actually, take four assault mechs and a bunch of mediums. Or six assault mechs and a scout. Or two lances of heavy mechs (650-660 tons lets you take eight 75ton mechs with some spare tonnage leftover to upgrade one to a light assault).
    • The most important thing is that this finally frees you from having to play the min-max game. Sure, there are streamers and such who beat the game with just lights and AC2s. But Battletech has a solved meta, and the game definitely balanced around that meta. Tactics 9 is, by-and-large, absolutely necessary when the game pits three assault lances versus your one.
    • This mod changed Battletech completely for me. I was now using my lighter mechs into late game. I was, - gasp - actually using mechs that weren't maxed armor or maxed out for headshot damage. They were vanilla loadouts!!! Some of the most fun I've ever had with Battletech has been dropping with two 90% vanilla mixed heavy lances versus regular OpFor because it became a real slug fest. I was rotating mechs at the front and using mechs in role-appropriate ways. I was playing with more pilot archtypes.
    • I would not say this significantly increases mission time. Some overhaul mods are really fatiguing with how long individual battles take. Remember this is still vanilla balance, so it moves at a decent pace. Adding four mechs doesn't actually double your turns, I find.
    • I don't think it makes the early to mid game much easier because with more mechs it'll take longer to optimize each of them, plus you have to upgrade the argo. Obviously, though, once you're raking in the losttech and you make two full lances ubermechs then its OP, but at least now its OP without forcing you to use headshots, so that's a plus, right?

All I'm saying is think about it. Consider vanilla balance. Vanilla guides you to creating four ubermechs and pasting the competition's cockpit as the ultimate play style. What if you could bring just one more lance? Or just two more mechs? This mod is liberating. It let me enjoy vanilla mechs. I took a vanilla awesome 8Q into combat the other day and I wasn't gimping my drop loadout! What a time to be alive.

I enjoyed this mod but it's not as necessary for me:
    Mission Control
    • This mod makes it so that there's a percent change that an allied lance will spawn on each mission or extra enemy lances will spawn.
    • Don't worry, you can link the two events, so if an extra enemy lance is spawned it will force an allied lance to spawn, so its not unfair. The opposite is also true, where if you get a bonus ally the enemy gets a bonus lance. Note that as of a couple versions ago I think you have the tweak the mod in notepad to enable this feature but I highly recommend it.
    • These lances can include vehicles. If your allied lance is vehicles and it's not LRM carriers I'm sorry, because their pathfinding and movement values are so atrocious they will never help.
    • When you drop allied lances will talk to you with some canned dialog. It's a nice piece of flair.
    • I like this mod a lot because it makes me feel like I'm actually fighting alongside a faction. They actually have some skin in the game.
    • This mod can extend the average battle time, but not to the point where it bothered me. Mileage may vary.
    • This mod pairs well with bigger drops because it can give you more enemies to fight.
    • This mod can absolutely bust the economy, because there are more mechs to kill. Could be offset if you increase parts for salvage.
    • If an extra enemy lance is killed you get some bonus C-bills at the end. It's not a lot of C-bills, but it's something. It doesn't bust the economy but still shows the employer acknowledges you killing more than intel expected.
    • This mod is highly customizable and it is easy to do so. You can guarantee extra enemy or allied drops, change lance size, and their veterancy. Among other things.

This mod is a ton of fun. It's more for folks who have played a lot of Battletech and wan't a new end-game goal to justify stompy mech action:
    Galaxy At War
    • This mod lets you help houses take over planets. Yep. That's right. You could paint the periphery [insert color of your faction].
    • The way it works is that houses will select planets close to or at borders of planets they own (so no suddenly jumping three planets deep into enemy territory) and begin a 'Deployment'. As the player, you will be offered a travel contract to this deployment planet. Note, however, that if you commit to a deployment the system will be locked down for 30 days or until the planet is won (and if you don't tweak the mod settings it'll likely take more than 30 days)
    • You have to be liked at least a bit before you're allowed to tag on military campaigns. So while from the beginning of the game you'll see these hotspots you may not be allowed to participate if you just started.
    • So what do you do for 30 days? You run missions - and not necessarily when you want to. As its a military campaign, no one gets to be very choosy when they fight. After your first mission you can have anywhere from 1 to 7-10(?) or so days until the next mission (you can adjust this). This represents the next military action you must support. Thankfully, it does give you a choice between 2 to 3 missions, so you have some leeway if a particular mission type pisses you off. Note that each consecutive mission gives bonus c-bills (not a ton, but still), so there is an incentive after the initial 30 days are up and your technically free to travel where you want again.
    • The missions are just regular vanilla missions, just chained together under the guise of a military campaign.
    • Each mission raises or lowers the resources of the attacking and defending factions. When the differential between the two resources becomes significant enough the planet flips owners.
    • So in one playthrough I supported Marik and took over the Liao headquarters planet for their internal security or whatever, because it borders Marik space. What was cool is that once it changed hands it became a Marik faction store, because think it's a Liao faction store if you're allied with them.
    • This mod is great for adding structure to late-game playthrough if you're kind of unsure what to do. When paired with bigger drops it lets you use your whole stable of mechs (because sometimes you don't have time for repairs) and when paired with Mission Control it makes you feel like you're actually fighting alongside a faction.
    • This mod is also highly customizable. I recommend you try vanilla settings for one planet takeover. I found it took a little too long, so I tweaked it so that more annoying missions like convoy ones gave more resources and such.

This has been my vanilla battletech mod showcase ted talk.

Thank you.

OpposingFarce on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Does Galaxy at War these days result in any noticeable border changes in areas you are not directly involved in? I played an earlier version of it and my impression of it, besides the ridiculous amount of completely useless notification spam it generated every month, was that planets would change hands but would then be immediately retaken the next month resulting in a lot of planet flipping but virtually no border changes. Even running the game forward several years resulted in no discernible map changes, so it never actually felt like there was a wider war going on.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Not that I saw, but that doesn't bother me. If I had to choose between a faction getting crushed "off screen" so to speak, or whether meaningful map change only came about from player involvement I'd much rather have the latter.

I think finding that balance is incredibly difficult, so the safer choice is to make the player's involvement the real driver of change. After playing Bannerlord and seeing my favorite factions get obliterated before I could intervene I see the value.

I mean I did see Liao lose a whole layer of planets on the other side of their borders away from Marik space, from which they never really recovered. I had nothing to do with that as I was on the Marik side. I didn't keep that playthrough going to see how that resolved, though.

Thanks for all the advice guys. The problem isn't the aircraft or anything at the beginning of the mission though, I can get through that usually with barely any damage, it's at the end when the mechs drop that I'm running into a wall. What I've been doing is heading west of the southwesternmost fuel dump, there I will position my forces behind rocks and on the other side of a hill, then I will blow the nearest fuel dump and make the first assault traverse a huge open area to reach me and my team. I can usually kill most of them before they get to me, although the faster mechs do sometimes get some shots in. It's when the 2nd dropship where the Warhammer and Panther come that I have absolutely no chance. They just steamroll me. The closest I've gotten is 3/4 destroyed before being taken out myself. I'll try shifting my strategy to keeping my units amongst the buildings and see what happens, but I really need some human pilot support methinks.

Edit: I'm running a Vindicator with a PPC as the main weapon, and my AI squad mates are in a trebuchet with dual LRM15's, a shadow hawk with an AC-5 and an LRM10 (I think), and an enforcer with a large laser. We are set up for ranged combat.

While I can't guarantee being any good with your mechs/loadouts, I can at least not run into the buildings we're supposed to defend. If you're wanting real people to join in, I'd recommend tossing a message in the Mechwarrior sub-channel in the PA Discord. I know I routinely cycle through my different channels looking for anything of interest...and a call to arms definitely falls under that category.

OK so... You're running a 45 tonne mech, two 50 tonne mechs, and a 55 tonne mech into a mission with a 240 or 300 tonne drop limit. And you're not even running particularly good versions of those mechs.

LRM's are just... not that good. Mixing AC-5 and LRM is... not that good. An enforcer with a large laser is... not that good because large lasers are not that good. PPCs are OK to good if you're stacking them. But if you just have one, like the vidicator does, its bad.

First the Trebuchet

2x SRM6, 3x MLAS, Max armor -7 points in each leg. 1 SRM ammo, 6 heat sinks. Dropping an MLAS for another heat sink is OK. Dropping a heat sink for more ammo is OK. You should probably pilot this mech.

Next the Vindicator. 1 PPC, 1 LRM largest you can fit. Vindi has issues with DPS due to its relatively weak weapons placement. This mech is amazing in battletech because you get to put a PPC and jump jets and you can BVR shoot whatever you want. But this mech is kinda shit in mechwarrior because a PPC is 2 DPS... for 7 tonnes and 2.4 HPS... and a MLAS is 1 DPS for 1 tonne and .45 HPS.

The Shadowhawk is OK. Its a bit fast and so has trouble armoring up. Good if your AI has good evasion skill. Otherwise kinda eh. SRM 10(2 4's and a 2) or SRM 8 and an AC5 BF or AC2 BF. One tonne of SRM ammo, one tonne of AC ammo. The AC5 BF does 3.6 DPS for .45 HPS and 9 tonnes. The AC 2 is 2.64 DPS for 7 tonnes and .39 HPS. In terms of DPS/Tonne the AC/5 is only 6% better than the AC2 (though worth noting that its slightly better for many other reasons as well). Alternate if you have the 2D is SRM 12, 2 MLAS, and 8 heat sinks

That enforcer is just kind of.... not good. AC/10's are the worst AC's by weight. And while they have some use for players because they one shot tanks this is not terribly helpful for the AI. Large lasers are... bad 1.53 DPS for 1.15 HPS... and 5 tonnes. Sure it shoots over 50% further than an MLAS but like... how often do you use that? And how often would you want want the pinpoint damage of a PPC when doing so? Give the enforcer an AC/2(regular, not BF) and PPC. And a bunch of heat sinks with one tonne of ammo. Probably the best you can do.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020

OK so... You're running a 45 tonne mech, two 50 tonne mechs, and a 55 tonne mech into a mission with a 240 or 300 tonne drop limit. And you're not even running particularly good versions of those mechs.

LRM's are just... not that good. Mixing AC-5 and LRM is... not that good. An enforcer with a large laser is... not that good because large lasers are not that good. PPCs are OK to good if you're stacking them. But if you just have one, like the vidicator does, its bad.

First the Trebuchet

2x SRM6, 3x MLAS, Max armor -7 points in each leg. 1 SRM ammo, 6 heat sinks. Dropping an MLAS for another heat sink is OK. Dropping a heat sink for more ammo is OK. You should probably pilot this mech.

Next the Vindicator. 1 PPC, 1 LRM largest you can fit. Vindi has issues with DPS due to its relatively weak weapons placement. This mech is amazing in battletech because you get to put a PPC and jump jets and you can BVR shoot whatever you want. But this mech is kinda shit in mechwarrior because a PPC is 2 DPS... for 7 tonnes and 2.4 HPS... and a MLAS is 1 DPS for 1 tonne and .45 HPS.

The Shadowhawk is OK. Its a bit fast and so has trouble armoring up. Good if your AI has good evasion skill. Otherwise kinda eh. SRM 10(2 4's and a 2) or SRM 8 and an AC5 BF or AC2 BF. One tonne of SRM ammo, one tonne of AC ammo. The AC5 BF does 3.6 DPS for .45 HPS and 9 tonnes. The AC 2 is 2.64 DPS for 7 tonnes and .39 HPS. In terms of DPS/Tonne the AC/5 is only 6% better than the AC2 (though worth noting that its slightly better for many other reasons as well). Alternate if you have the 2D is SRM 12, 2 MLAS, and 8 heat sinks

That enforcer is just kind of.... not good. AC/10's are the worst AC's by weight. And while they have some use for players because they one shot tanks this is not terribly helpful for the AI. Large lasers are... bad 1.53 DPS for 1.15 HPS... and 5 tonnes. Sure it shoots over 50% further than an MLAS but like... how often do you use that? And how often would you want want the pinpoint damage of a PPC when doing so? Give the enforcer an AC/2(regular, not BF) and PPC. And a bunch of heat sinks with one tonne of ammo. Probably the best you can do.

Yeah that's something I intend on fixing, right now I can't though. Remember you're talking to a guy who lost all but 1 mech on the 3rd phase of a multi-prong mission and ended up beating it with a single locust doing strafing runs. I'm stubborn.

While I can't guarantee being any good with your mechs/loadouts, I can at least not run into the buildings we're supposed to defend. If you're wanting real people to join in, I'd recommend tossing a message in the Mechwarrior sub-channel in the PA Discord. I know I routinely cycle through my different channels looking for anything of interest...and a call to arms definitely falls under that category.

Awesome! I'm already in the discord so I'll send out some messages when I'm ready to run it again. I'm really close to being able to beat it on my own so I think having some human pilots backing me up might put me over the edge.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    I guess I'm going to be the dissenter:

I like the AC10 and prefer it to the AC5 any time I can get one mounted. Also, for the Enforcer, I spent a LOT of time in one with an AC10+PPC combo and poptarted like a madman. And, on the topic of large lasers, in my buddy's game we've finally started picking up heavy mechs. He's been using a Grasshopper (with chest PPC) and he got me a Marauder. To get the Marauder armored up, though, I had to strip out the PPCs and replace them with large lasers...and that thing cranks out the damage. When the mech starts getting warmed up (2-3 full laser volley), I'll switch over to just using the AC (in his game, I've got it set with an Ultra-5) to pump out damage until the mech can unload the lasers again, and that's a fair chunk of damage that's getting spewed out.

That is fine for a player. But not fine for the AI. A player can pop-tart and utilize the focus damage of the AC/10. The AI will not, and is further hampered by the AC/10's slower projectile speed

wbBv3fj.png
    I'd offer to help, but I think you guys are on Epic right?

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited May 2020
    That is fine for a player. But not fine for the AI. A player can pop-tart and utilize the focus damage of the AC/10. The AI will not, and is further hampered by the AC/10's slower projectile speed

Oh, right...AI pilots. I keep forgetting about those chuckleheads...

EDIT -
    I'd offer to help, but I think you guys are on Epic right?

Yeah, I think most of the MW5 vets here are on Epic and I might be the only one to have both Epic and Xbox Gamepass versions installed.

Erlkönig on
    I can install the gamepass version as well.

wbBv3fj.png

I like the AC10 and prefer it to the AC5 any time I can get one mounted.

I also prefer the AC/10 over the AC/5 any time i can get only one mounted. If i can mount 2 i generally prefer AC/5. The main reason is that an AC/10 will one shot a tank while a single AC/5 will not. However 2 AC/5* will one shot a tank and also have a much better accuracy profile than an AC/10. Easier to take heads, easier to kill tanks, shoots at a rate just about as fast as i can aim. 2 AC/10 doesn't up the ante much better because 2 AC/10 doesn't help you kill tanks any faster.

Similarly i almost never fit UAC/5 unless i have only one AC mount because 2+ mounts and precision damage matters far more than DPS

*both of these + and skill dependent as sometimes you can fall just under the breakpoint

wbBv3fj.png
    edited May 2020

I also prefer the AC/10 over the AC/5 any time i can get only one mounted. If i can mount 2 i generally prefer AC/5. The main reason is that an AC/10 will one shot a tank while a single AC/5 will not. However 2 AC/5* will one shot a tank and also have a much better accuracy profile than an AC/10. Easier to take heads, easier to kill tanks, shoots at a rate just about as fast as i can aim. 2 AC/10 doesn't up the ante much better because 2 AC/10 doesn't help you kill tanks any faster.

Similarly i almost never fit UAC/5 unless i have only one AC mount because 2+ mounts and precision damage matters far more than DPS

*both of these + and skill dependent as sometimes you can fall just under the breakpoint

I'm actually a little surprised at the Ultra5. Way back when I was playing MW5 a bunch, it felt like the Ultra5 was pretty accurate. Since I've been playing in my buddy's campaign this past month, I'm seeing a lot of what I'd call weapon bloom with it. Like, it's behaving like a more double/triple/quad-firing burst fire standard AC5. Kinda thinking I'm going to have my buddy let me refit the Marauder to swap the Ultra5 with an LB10X-SLD (I can still have the LL/ML arm pods and 2 tons of LB10X ammo).

Erlkönig on
    edited May 2020

I'm actually a little surprised at the Ultra5. Way back when I was playing MW5 a bunch, it felt like the Ultra5 was pretty accurate. Since I've been playing in my buddy's campaign this past month, I'm seeing a lot of what I'd call weapon bloom with it. Like, it's behaving like a more double/triple/quad-firing burst fire standard AC5. Kinda thinking I'm going to have my buddy let me refit the Marauder to swap the Ultra5 with an LB10X-SLD (I can still have the LL/ML arm pods and 2 tons of LB10X ammo).

As you add more non-AI players and as you go up in tonnage engagement ranges tend to get pushed out. This is because things die fast enough at range that you dont have as much combat in close. So when you were playing by yourself in your wolverine-q you were fighting at 100-200 meters as long range. And when you were fighting with allies all stacked in assaults 200m was close range.

At 100m the 3.5(iirc) spread @350m of the UAC5 is 1 meter. Less than a section width. At 350m the spread is almost as wide as a mech.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png

As you add more non-AI players and as you go up in tonnage engagement ranges tend to get pushed out. This is because things die fast enough at range that you dont have as much combat in close. So when you were playing by yourself in your wolverine-q you were fighting at 100-200 meters as long range. And when you were fighting with allies all stacked in assaults 200m was close range.

Never used a Wolverine (hardpoints kinda blow for how I play my mechs). :P

For me, I'm not sure what design philosophy I went with throughout the campaign. In my early game, I mostly used SRMs, machine guns, and medium lasers. Mid-game, I was machine guns and PPC/ERPPC. Now, in late-game, I'm primarily SRMs, gauss, and medium pulse lasers. I guess you could say I would chunk damage at actual long-range (750+ meters) while the target closed range, then unload with other weapons as targets closed to ~300m range (if needed...on assassination missions, the closer ranged weapons weren't really needed). The only time I deviated from that method was with the Blackjack-Arrow which was fast enough to close and shred targets with the six machine guns.

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I should've had my buddy pick up a Jager-S...the paired AC5s could likely core out most things at range with a steady hand and the ballistic damage falloff being nonexistent.

Quickdraw IV4. (hero version). Its so goddamn fun. Jagers arm armor is very low

wbBv3fj.png
    Quickdraw IV4. (hero version). Its so goddamn fun. Jagers arm armor is very low

Yeah, the Jager is definitely meant to be relegated to second-line direct fire support. Which, considering it's taking up 65 tons of your drop deck, you kinda can't really afford that for most missions.

So I was noticing that if you blow off a leg the enemy mech slows for a bit, then can run at full speed again. I just assumed it could only run at 30% ish like in MWO.

oosik_betsuni.png
    So I was noticing that if you blow off a leg the enemy mech slows for a bit, then can run at full speed again. I just assumed it could only run at 30% ish like in MWO.

Yeah, it's only a temporary movement speed debuff. Apparently, it also applies to player mechs as well.

Yeah, it's only a temporary movement speed debuff. Apparently, it also applies to player mechs as well.

Ah that sucks... Good to know though for the next time I leg a mech and try leaving it behind.

oosik_betsuni.png