As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    So, not Kenya Barris then.

I feel like things I’ve almost understood my entire life (but not quite) are finally coming into focus. For instance i knew in a vague sense what “peacocking“ is, and that it holds some cultural significance, but I didn’t know the origins.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    So, not Kenya Barris then.

I feel like things I’ve almost understood my entire life (but not quite) are finally coming into focus. For instance i knew in a vague sense what “peacocking“ is, and that it holds some cultural significance, but I didn’t know the origins.

BlackAF is funny, but I think is a lot less funny when you realize it's Blackish.

And made by the guy who did Blackish. And Blackish is the fictionalized version of his life.

He made the same show twice, about his life, and decided to star in the second one.

I appreciate the work though, I'm glad for him.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    https://youtu.be/dT1TA-KANac
    Parasyte Maxim is out on Canadian Netflix. It's a story about alien parasites that infect peoples heads taking over their bodies and using Thing like shape shifting powers munch on humans, except for the unlucky protagonist who gets one of these parasites in his fap'n hand. Apart from that it's a really good coming of age story, heart breaking in places and of course the animation is top notch. The intro music is probably the least fitting thing about it.
    Highly recommend it.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Speaking of things named Parasite, I watched the Korean movie on Hulu and goddamn it was good. Highly recommend if you like movies that make you consistently WTF and think about them long after the movie has concluded.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    That Jackie Daytona episode of What we do in the Shadows was freaking great.

God yes, i was waiting for a Matt Barry centric episode and this fucking delivered hard

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    That Jackie Daytona episode of What we do in the Shadows was freaking great.

God yes, i was waiting for a Matt Barry centric episode and this fucking delivered hard

Mark Hamill, no surprise, delivers a great vampire, I'm looking forward to him showing up again.

The episode with Colin cranking up the power was also fantastic. I should hate the stereotyping for how much they do it, but he just gets so enthusiastic about using his office powers to suck the life from people.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Parasyte Maxim is out on Canadian Netflix. It's a story about alien parasites that infect peoples heads taking over their bodies and using Thing like shape shifting powers munch on humans, except for the unlucky protagonist who gets one of these parasites in his fap'n hand. Apart from that it's a really good coming of age story, heart breaking in places and of course the animation is top notch. The intro music is probably the least fitting thing about it.
    Highly recommend it.

I think I was on episode twenty before I realized the intro song was in English.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Avatar: the Last Airbender (series) is on Netflix as of today.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    She-Ra's final season is up as well!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Highly recommend it.

I think I was on episode twenty before I realized the intro song was in English.

yeah well not every anime can be Jojo or Dorohedoro, some you just gotta skip that intro...

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Highly recommend it.

I've started watching this based on this trailer (it's on the UK one as well) and it's quite good, but I always wary of anime. Fucking episode 5 man.

• Options
    Highly recommend it.

I've started watching this based on this trailer (it's on the UK one as well) and it's quite good, but I always wary of anime. Fucking episode 5 man.

yup. Shit gets fucked.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Highly recommend it.

yup. Shit gets fucked.

I mean yeah, he already said he was wary of anime :P

• Options
    Why is the Disney+ interface so terrible? I've been watching the Simpsons and you can't skip to the next episode, see other episodes in the season and to get back to the series page you have to go back to the main page, then click into the series page, and it doesn't save where you were so you have to scroll down to the right season then across to the right episode. It's a really bad streaming experience. And that's without getting into the cropping issues cutting off jokes.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Why is the Disney+ interface so terrible? I've been watching the Simpsons and you can't skip to the next episode, see other episodes in the season and to get back to the series page you have to go back to the main page, then click into the series page, and it doesn't save where you were so you have to scroll down to the right season then across to the right episode. It's a really bad streaming experience. And that's without getting into the cropping issues cutting off jokes.

And it only autoplays 4 episodes then if you continue watching you only get 1 at a time unless you back out and reload.

Which takes way longer than it should to just go back to the main page, it's like the whole app needs to reboot to change anything

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    My favourite is that one some series the episodes don't even have titles so it's almost impossible to figure out where you are in the series. And you can't go directly back to the season page from where you are viewing it.

• Options
    And to get to the series page from the main page you have to click on the little "i" button. Otherwise it just takes you back to where you were.

I know it's a new service but at the bare minimum it should be aping Netflix, and these don't seem like they should be complex things to implement. Like a fucking "Next" button.

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Highly recommend it.

This is out on US Netflix as well. One of my favorite Manga.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Finally got to see the Jacky Daytona episode and I’ve decided to buy a toothpick.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Welp, just watched all of Overlord in two days. What a bummer of a show. I kept hoping the main character would show some sort of redeemable quality at all, but nope, he's just a genocidal asshole.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Really enjoyed season 1 of Upload. Glad season 2 will exist.

Unrelatedly: Extra Ordinary (on prime video) is quite good.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Started watching Noughts and Crosses yesterday. It's really good, it walks an incredibly difficult line where you need to avoid it being actually racist in of itself.

The set dressing is.bloody fantastic and seeing alternate london as moulded by centuries of a ruling class from another culture is excellent.

Also good use of modern music being assigned to the two different cultures.

I'm not super hopeful the narrative will do anything interesting but it's a rare situation where I can forgive that

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Finally got to see the Jacky Daytona episode and I’ve decided to buy a toothpick.

And now that you have the perfect disguise, your career as a super spy can truly begin.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Mark Hamill chewing the scenery was glorious

• Options
    Started watching The Magicians

What even is this show

I do appreciate that Quentin is considered a huge nerd even among the other magicians

Rather than going with ALL the chosen one tropes they stuck with one or two

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

What even is this show

I do appreciate that Quentin is considered a huge nerd even among the other magicians

a pretty solid ramp upwards from ep 1 on, is what it is
    and yeah everyone thinking quentin is a dweeb is the only thing that makes having him as a protag bearable

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    He's like someone gave an exasperated sigh a face

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Everyone on this show has clinical depression, and also about 30 seconds away from banging each other at any given moment.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Everyone on this show has clinical depression, and also about 30 seconds away from banging each other at any given moment.

Perfectly plausible, when you're that mopey sometimes you need to physically affirm that you are alive and there are things in life worth sticking around for.

I'd love to spend a weekend in the physical kid's house.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Highly recommend it.

Wait. Is it really his fapping hand? How does that work out? Like, is he doing stuff and it starts to do other stuff and he's like, "Wow, this feels OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL?!"

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Highly recommend it.

Wait. Is it really his fapping hand? How does that work out? Like, is he doing stuff and it starts to do other stuff and he's like, "Wow, this feels OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL?!"

More like the parasite is like "hey lets try fapping!" while in public

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    For a human-eating alien goo parasite, Migi is surprisingly adorable.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

What even is this show

Stick with it. It's truly one of the best genre shows of the last few years. If you connect to the characters, you're in for a great few seasons.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    So, Snowpiercer on TNT. It's....rough. I mean, not bad, but it does a lot of stuff pretty poorly. Nothing improves on the movie, and I'm not sure why we need a series...BUT, as an avowed genre diehard, I'll continue to give it time to grow.

But really, it's pretty meh. It's about what I expected for a scifi adaptation on TNT, but I'm also a sucker for Jennifer Connelly. I got svengali'd.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

What even is this show

Stick with it. It's truly one of the best genre shows of the last few years. If you connect to the characters, you're in for a great few seasons.

Tonal warning, no specific spoilers but general direction and such:
    It is not a happy show. It has moments of humor or whatnot, but don't go into it expecting the good guys to emerge victorious. Everybody get hurts and beaten down more and more. At least in the 1.5 seasons I was able to watch.

It's certainly not a bad show. But it's also not for everyone because of that.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

What even is this show

It is not a happy show. It has moments of humor or whatnot, but don't go into it expecting the good guys to emerge victorious. Everybody get hurts and beaten down more and more. At least in the 1.5 seasons I was able to watch.

You are totally right, but I'd argue it's an amazing show because of that. We get to see all this pain and fear and awkwardness written into a wonderful fantasy story, and it feels so damn real and relatable. It's truly a step forward from the unassailable chosen farmboy slaying an evil wizard with a magic sword.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The Great on Hulu is pretty ... great. Its like someone watched The Favorite and decided to make a series in the same sort of style and writing and dialogue. Its funny at times, dark at others, and is solid at developing its characters and plotlines.

I am very partial to Elle Fanning so I admit some bias might be there.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

What even is this show

You are totally right, but I'd argue it's an amazing show because of that. We get to see all this pain and fear and awkwardness written into a wonderful fantasy story, and it feels so damn real and relatable. It's truly a step forward from the unassailable chosen farmboy slaying an evil wizard with a magic sword.

Yeah, to be clear, I'm not saying that makes it bad or is even objectively a negative thing. It's just negative for me personally :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Buffy's gonna be on All4 in the UK. Ads, which is annoying (unless you buy the premium thingy), and I already have the DVDs, and hopefully they're not the awful transfer job everyone hates, but still. Buffy at the touch of a button is something to be celebrated.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Buffy's gonna be on All4 in the UK. Ads, which is annoying (unless you buy the premium thingy), and I already have the DVDs, and hopefully they're not the awful transfer job everyone hates, but still. Buffy at the touch of a button is something to be celebrated.

Buffy is one of those top five shows all time for me and I think a reboot could work especially dealing with what it's like to be a teenager now versus thirty years ago.

I am in the business of saving lives.
This discussion has been closed.