As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    So I was noticing that if you blow off a leg the enemy mech slows for a bit, then can run at full speed again. I just assumed it could only run at 30% ish like in MWO.
    It runs at 70% post leg not 100%

wbBv3fj.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    So I was noticing that if you blow off a leg the enemy mech slows for a bit, then can run at full speed again. I just assumed it could only run at 30% ish like in MWO.

Yeah that's still a shock from playing MWO.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Yeah that's still a shock from playing MWO.

30% or 40kph...whichever is slower is truly a harsh movement penalty when you have 2-3km to hobble across to get to an exfil point.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Finally had to eject one of my Mechwarriors in a Battletech mission for the first time today. Basic battle Vs. Heavy lance, but the RNG stacked hard and I basically walked into a ambush deathtrap.

Started in a bit of a box canyon in the corner with only one way in or out. There was negligible cover and with a huge cliff on one side and the engagement area edge on the other, there wasn't much in the way tactical options. Advancing out I immediately ran into my target lance... and by the end of the first round, their reinforcements. The target lance was a mix of tanks and mobile shooters; Banshee, Cyclops, Hunchback, and Griffon. A tough group to slow you down and can soak damage. The reinforcements, by contrast, were ranged missile boats that were taking us with enfilade fire from outside sensor range; an Archer, a pair of Catapults, and an Orion.

I had brought an Archer of my own, along with a Marauder, Black Knight, and a Battlemaster to act as vanguard. However, caught as we were with no cover and no retreat, the Battlemaster just got chewed to pieces. After 2-3 rounds of 60-100 LRMs and a handful of PPC shots, he was missing everything on his left side, knocked over and certain to not make it to the next round. Fortunately he was an Ace Pilot, so he still had the actions to stand up and pop a kill shot in on the Griffon before punching out.

It was an unexpectedly tough fight, made tougher by lance composition and terrain advantages that tilted heavily in favour of the defenders. Still I feel I made a decent fight of it, cleaning up after punching through the first lance and then enveloping the reinforcements and cutting through their rear armour every way they faced. Went dry on the Archer on the last turn of the engagement, punching through the rear armour on the OpFor Archer to set up the kill shot by the Marauder.

Still, fun times.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Mechwarrior 5:

So, in my buddy's campaign, we just ran that "First Strike" mission (the defend the settlement + attack the fuel tanks mission). Now, we've been doing a bunch of side missions and sussing out various mechs whenever we wrap up a system's missions and are moving to the next industrial hub. Because of that, when we did "First Strike" we went in maxing out the 250 tonnage limit:

Orion-Protector (stock)
    Marauder-3R (2xLL+2xML, LB10X-SLD)
    2xHunchback-4G (one with AC20-BF, the other with single-shot AC20...otherwise stock)

While it wasn't too bad with that loadout, it did get a little dicey towards the end (mostly because we had a tank swarm spawn behind us (2-3 Scorpion tanks, 1 AC2 Partizan, and a couple J. Edgars) and they just chewed out our backs.

The follow-up story mission after it was....well, worse.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Epic players can't play with Steam players?

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    edited May 2020

Correct. They say they're planning on adding that function sometime later in the year, so.... /shrug?

EDIT - oh, wait...you said Steam. Steam doesn't have MW5 yet.

Erlkönig on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Correct. They say they're planning on adding that function sometime later in the year, so.... /shrug?

EDIT - oh, wait...you said Steam. Steam doesn't have MW5 yet.

Though I suspect this statement will still be true, sadly.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    MW5: So played a few more missions today. The first one I had to save scum it twice since I didn't know where I was going and ran into the entire tank/VTOL/enemy mech at once. My Jenner partner AI got slaughtered and I eventually blew up from the Phoenix Hawk with a SL and the rest of his tank crews and turrets. Next time I killed him but lost my AC10 so rebooted. Third time was the charm where I flanked them and oddly the Phoenix Hawk came to me and I just blew off his head since he kept on shutting down and was acting like a meat shield for me with his tank buddies blowing out his back. Cleaned up the rest and then got out of there. Next mission I decided to try out my shiny new Flea. Maxed the armor and equipped it with 2ML and 3SL. Yep, I am a slaughtering nightmare in a Flea... Took out everything and came out with just one leg with red armor. Also figured out that my Jenner was running with 3ML and the SRM4 with low armor, so took off the SRMs, maxed the armor and put back a ML. He was once again slaughtering everything in sight too. We wiped the next mission from tanks and a Firestarter (I blew off his back).

Now I'm debating if I should run the Flea for more missions now. Hahahahahaha!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Re MW5: What happens if I abort a story mission?

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    Re MW5: What happens if I abort a story mission?

You reload to before you accepted the mission?

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    jZDO10t.jpg

e8AATzV.jpg

You're alright, @Betsuni.

Fishman wrote: »
    jZDO10t.jpg

e8AATzV.jpg

You're alright, Betsuni.
    Next mission: Betsuni is killed in combat.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    High spirits is so good. Extra headshots all around!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Fishman wrote: »
    jZDO10t.jpg

e8AATzV.jpg

You're alright, Betsuni.
    Next mission: Betsuni is killed in combat.

It turns out, next mission you got involved in a duel with a Panther that kept jumping on top of buildings you kept destroying with errant stray shots while trying to LRM it at range.
    I somehow feel like by the time you've fallen from the top of 3 different skyscrapers that have been missiled into rubble while you were standing on them, you should have more to show for it than falling over a couple times.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    MW5 - How on earth do you get through a 4 mission operation? The mission won't 'wait' for repairs if you select a damaged mech, right?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Iolo wrote: »
    MW5 - How on earth do you get through a 4 mission operation? The mission won't 'wait' for repairs if you select a damaged mech, right?

Unless your mech(s) take substantial damage (i.e. get cored out or, at the very least, lose a limb), repairs will complete between each phase of the operation. For example, let's say you take the first row of mechs in your mechbay for the first mission and they take some damage...you can repair them while you take the second row of mechs in your mechbay for the second mission. When you're done with the second mission, the first set of mechs will be repaired by the time the third mission rolls around. Pay heed to the mission "Duration" value...the calendar doesn't stop when you're running a mission.

Repairs can complete. Not necessarily will complete

wbBv3fj.png
    Repairs can complete. Not necessarily will complete

If it's just armor damage, they will (well...unless I guess you're in a conflict zone that has >300% repair times). The only other exception being limb/mech destruction and needing to full on replace weapon systems.

edited May 2020
    Even if its just armor damage it may not complete. I frequently have to choose which sections of armor to repair when doing multi-missions.

RE: Battletech

So i was going to have a run, do a bunch of pirate missions and see if i could get a good rating by mainly buying things and focusing on cash... Second place i go to. Three active factions. Pirates, and two others. ZERO pirate missions. Every mission is against pirates.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    Even if its just armor damage it may not complete. I frequently have to choose which sections of armor to repair when doing multi-missions.

RE: Battletech

So i was going to have a run, do a bunch of pirate missions and see if i could get a good rating by mainly buying things and focusing on cash... Second place i go to. Three active factions. Pirates, and two others. ZERO pirate missions. Every mission is against pirates.

That is so weird. Haven't seen that one in any of the multi-missions I've joined in on (barring limbs blown off or weapons destroyed).

• RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    I’ve been playing some mwo. It’s pretty good! I don’t know why I took so long to give it a try, kind of wish I’d gotten into it years ago.

Just got a flea-17 and it’s *so much fun*.

RawrBear wrote: »
    I’ve been playing some mwo. It’s pretty good! I don’t know why I took so long to give it a try, kind of wish I’d gotten into it years ago.

Just got a flea-17 and it’s *so much fun*.

I'm glad you're having fun in MWO. It really isn't a bad game and I love lights in it. If you manage to get the Flea (FLE-20) with ECM and equip it with Stealth Armor you'll be the invisible tickler for a long time in matches.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I've been trying some MW5. The teleporting reinforcements are kind of an irritant, and also the companion's AI seems kind of... random? Sometimes they land ridiculous shots and sometimes they just kind of stand there missing full srm volleys and getting dunked. Which is getting felt a lot more as I start going into rep 4 and 5 missions and every mission involves multiple spiders and firestarters with flamers and getting hit by manticore PPCs before my scanner even registers a red symbol.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I've been trying some MW5. The teleporting reinforcements are kind of an irritant, and also the companion's AI seems kind of... random? Sometimes they land ridiculous shots and sometimes they just kind of stand there missing full srm volleys and getting dunked. Which is getting felt a lot more as I start going into rep 4 and 5 missions and every mission involves multiple spiders and firestarters with flamers and getting hit by manticore PPCs before my scanner even registers a red symbol.

If you are playing on PC I would recommend mods to fix some of those issues. Even a difficulty mod can make the terrible AI tolerable.

Otherwise, yeah, MW5 in a nutshell. Have you encountered allies getting stuck on terrain features? That one always drove me insane.

Comahawk wrote: »

If you are playing on PC I would recommend mods to fix some of those issues. Even a difficulty mod can make the terrible AI tolerable.

Otherwise, yeah, MW5 in a nutshell. Have you encountered allies getting stuck on terrain features? That one always drove me insane.

Yeah, I'm on PC. That said, I really can't afford any mod that might increase difficulty. I'm not great at this at the best of times!

Comahawk wrote: »

Unless they're playing the Xbox Gamepass version on PC. Still no mods on that platform.

You cant use the old method?

wbBv3fj.png
    edited May 2020
    You cant use the old method?

Looks like the mod files would go in the walled garden of Microsoft Store installed games. I literally can't even look at the files in there and File Explorer reads the folder(s) as 0kb. So yeah, looks like the old method won't work with Game Pass versions.

EDIT - looks like there is a way to get mods installed and working...but it reads like a major pain in the ass and my eyes glazed over by the time I got to the second step in the process:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mechwarrior5/comments/gox1jt/how_to_add_mods_to_mechwarrior_5_mercenaries_pc/

Erlkönig on
    edited May 2020
    I am on the Epic version anyway. I had a coupon and it was discounted, so I got it for like fifteen bucks. But yeah, I would appreciate mod suggestions, but with an eye to the fact I already have to restart some missions due to everything going clusterfuck, so stuff that increases difficulty is probably a no-go.

Drascin on
    edited May 2020
    I like

https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/108

Technically a cheat mod. But main thing is that it makes the unique pilots you can acquire worth keeping around till the late game. A nice bonus for already good to decent pilots

https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/82

Also technically a cheat mod. Multiple versions. Some that increase costs of mechs and some that don't. Main thing is that it properly gives mechs that have internal doubles internal doubles. So your SLDF highlander will sink 60 base now. With the cost increases though those mechs are super expensive to maintain (I use the cost increases). This makes a lot more hero and "rare" mechs viable and super good.

https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/140

Lets you see the entire set of things when you have COOP permissions. QOL

https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/56

Lets you see the internals on any mech in the market. QOL

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    I admit, I never seem to have any issue with heat anyway, up to here. Granted, this centurion does not seem to run terribly hot, but the only way I've really heated up noticeably is via getting into a punchup with a Firestarter.

I did try a mod called Better Spawns, which seems to force enemies to, like. Come in. In a ship. That I can see. It helps so, SO much.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I had a hankering to boot MW5 back up and I see there are quite a few mods available.

Any in particular people here have used and recommend?

I managed to play and beat three more missions in MW5 today. One with my Flea/Jenner combo again and the other two with my Centurion/Jenner combo. I got excited when I saw a SRM6 and AC20 in the shop with ammo so picked both up for my Centurion... Only to remember the different class weapon hardpoints so I can't have my mini Wang. I have it with a SRM6 instead of the LRM10 making it a proper brawler.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I managed to play and beat three more missions in MW5 today. One with my Flea/Jenner combo again and the other two with my Centurion/Jenner combo. I got excited when I saw a SRM6 and AC20 in the shop with ammo so picked both up for my Centurion... Only to remember the different class weapon hardpoints so I can't have my mini Wang. I have it with a SRM6 instead of the LRM10 making it a proper brawler.

But now you'll be ready for having a backup AC20 when you do find a Wang in the store (or pick up a Centurion-AH via salvage or the store).

Erlkönig wrote: »

But now you'll be ready for having a backup AC20 when you do find a Wang in the store (or pick up a Centurion-AH via salvage or the store).

Good point! Although I'll have 3 half ton ammo boxes. Hahahaha!

Man, I love piloting the Flea, but it does get cored way too easily when I pilot it. I might try out the Locust 1E I managed to salvage in my last mission to see how nice it is compared to the Flea.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    MWO news:

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/277123-combined-queues-final-discoveries/

Tl;DR: They're keeping combined queues.

BUT

They're changing PSR calculations to zero sum and doing a PSR reset.

Nobody wrote: »
    MWO news:

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/277123-combined-queues-final-discoveries/

Tl;DR: They're keeping combined queues.

BUT

They're changing PSR calculations to zero sum and doing a PSR reset.

Interesting, so I'll be Tier 5 again?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Everybody's starting Tier 4, with 20 games with accelerated PSR gains/losses.

edited May 2020
    Nobody wrote: »
    Everybody's starting Tier 4, with 20 games with accelerated PSR gains/losses.

Ah I read that wrong. Thought only T1 was going to 4. That is a weird way of saying everyone is Tier 4.

Edit: Time for me to play my stock Urbie for 20 matches.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png