As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Call of Duty] BLOPS IIII out now, and pretty good despite Activision's best efforts.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Ok, I think I'm finally turning around on the SA87 LMG. I still hate the small mag size which is frankly criminal for a "light machine gun" but I'm starting to come around to it. The early levels definitely suck for it. You absolutely have to dump mods into stabilizing aim and recoil to make this thing manageable for anything beyond shotgun distance, but what I'm finding is that once you do, the thing becomes a damn laser pointer. You can full auto it and while the recoil climbs a certain amount, it basically "sticks" to a certain zone which lets you walk shots into peoples' chests and heads. Not as reliably as the oden mind you, but I'm making it work somehow. It still suffers from the LMG-itis of molasses slow ads times and movement like the other LMGS, but I find I can reliably engage the mid fight more competitively than I could with the other lmgs like the PKM or the M91. Kind of a pleasant surprise honestly.

And lately I've also been sort of rediscovering the minamilist playstyle with weapons, particulary the Echo141 assault rifle. Running around with only a suppressor for challenges I'm discovering how much faster I can aim and kill people the fewer attachments I have on it. I admit I depend on the thermal/NVG scopes a lot because my reaction time sucks and picking people out of the background is harder for me than it should be, but being able to zip around the map and basically have a full auto laser pointer with near instant ads time is definitely nothing to scoff at. It's kinda ludicrous how much better it works the fewer things I have on it.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So I reinstalled Blops IIII and started playing around again. I suck at FPS with a controller and that’s mainly why I put it down to begin with. I’m slowly dialing in the settings so I’m not all over the place and yet can still turn quick enough. I’ve read/watched a few tips for beginners type things and am getting a bit better. I spend a bit of time each session playing with bots in a local free for all match working on my aiming and centering and that type of thing. So after all this, I wanted to try and jump in Blackout, but I hate being a terrible noob on someone’s team. I had played a few times solo and don’t get too far unless I hide out and end up dying horribly once I get in a gunfight. I do have 1 win where I got in a 4 squad and they were great and told me what to do.

Tl;dr How to Blackout and not be a detriment to my team? Anyone wanna join up and let me be their handicap?

50433.png?1708759015
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I would honestly suggest getting Warzone, is MWs free to play battle royal. Most people have probably moved there except for the sweatist of sweaty people who enjoy BO4 so much they ain't moving. In other words, you're in a game with probably nothing but vets of the game who know it like the back of their hand.

In Warzone, people have learned that game as well but the fact that its newer and ftp will mean more people at your skill level (learning the game) are playing.

As for advice, I'd say that nothing beats actual people as competition. I love bot stomping, especially in RTS games (where players are hard to find), but you develop habits that will put you at a disadvantage against real people.

Just play more, learn from your deaths, and put time in using a controller so you are comfortable.

• mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    I second this, Blops 4 was a joke. I never liked that game at launch, can't imagine what it's like now.

You'll definitely have a better time learning Warzone and taking advantage of crossplay so that you can use your controller and get matched up with other people using controller. One of my friends uses a controller and he's been able to get plenty of kills rolling with us.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Ok, I think I'm finally turning around on the SA87 LMG. I still hate the small mag size which is frankly criminal for a "light machine gun" but I'm starting to come around to it. The early levels definitely suck for it. You absolutely have to dump mods into stabilizing aim and recoil to make this thing manageable for anything beyond shotgun distance, but what I'm finding is that once you do, the thing becomes a damn laser pointer. You can full auto it and while the recoil climbs a certain amount, it basically "sticks" to a certain zone which lets you walk shots into peoples' chests and heads. Not as reliably as the oden mind you, but I'm making it work somehow. It still suffers from the LMG-itis of molasses slow ads times and movement like the other LMGS, but I find I can reliably engage the mid fight more competitively than I could with the other lmgs like the PKM or the M91. Kind of a pleasant surprise honestly.

And lately I've also been sort of rediscovering the minamilist playstyle with weapons, particulary the Echo141 assault rifle. Running around with only a suppressor for challenges I'm discovering how much faster I can aim and kill people the fewer attachments I have on it. I admit I depend on the thermal/NVG scopes a lot because my reaction time sucks and picking people out of the background is harder for me than it should be, but being able to zip around the map and basically have a full auto laser pointer with near instant ads time is definitely nothing to scoff at. It's kinda ludicrous how much better it works the fewer things I have on it.

Yeah, the fact that the SA87 is a lot better than it used to be is a hell of an indictment of that gun’s early state. There’s a reason it took until April for me to hit even level 30 with it. At least carrying a pistol helps with the movement. I almost never run with an LMG these days. However, that also goes a long way to strip away the use case for an LMG that is a bit of a crossover with an AR.

I used to clean up with the 141. These days, I can’t get anything done with it. There might be a five-meter ring of engagement range on larger maps where it shines, relative to the newly-buffed LMGs, the SMGs with the temerity to compete well beyond their station at range, and those two Consuls of the midrange fight, the M4 and Grau. But my enemies, rather inconsiderately, don’t tend to hand out there.

Lately, I’ve been trying to make it work as an LMG with the drum mag, having bought into the Better Holger Hype. But I’m not showing you my paper targets from that day at the range. I’m hitting the button to reel them in while no one’s looking, balling them up, and tossing them unceremoniously in the recycling bin.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I would honestly suggest getting Warzone, is MWs free to play battle royal. Most people have probably moved there except for the sweatist of sweaty people who enjoy BO4 so much they ain't moving. In other words, you're in a game with probably nothing but vets of the game who know it like the back of their hand.

In Warzone, people have learned that game as well but the fact that its newer and ftp will mean more people at your skill level (learning the game) are playing.

As for advice, I'd say that nothing beats actual people as competition. I love bot stomping, especially in RTS games (where players are hard to find), but you develop habits that will put you at a disadvantage against real people.

Just play more, learn from your deaths, and put time in using a controller so you are comfortable.

To go along with this, I turned my horizontal and vertical sensitivity up to 6 each, then turned the scale for both levels of ADS down to 0.8. I was getting pretty frustrated on the original settings because I'm used to KBAM play and doing vastly better, but tweaking those control settings saw an immediate and enormous improvement. I was regularly getting gunned down in any head-to-head fight regardless of weapon because the default settings are so slow to get you on-target, but also too sensitive on ADS so you end up bouncing all over the place trying to control recoil.

After that adjustment, I'm winning virtually every straight-up fight, even sometimes ones where I start taking hits first. It's a night and day difference on speed and control.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The story of MW2 is soooooo dumb. Still some great set pieces, imagery and moments.

The set pieces for Modern Warfare 2 are some of the most visually diverse and legitimately impressive level designs, great variety of character and gameplay styles. Long-distance engagements, stealth segments into high-octane chases and back again, it's all a huge blast to play.
    I just think it doesn't deserve the unending praise it gets when the script stringing the set pieces together is so flimsy and poor, especially compared to the strength of the game that came before it.
    I used to clean up with the 141. These days, I can’t get anything done with it. There might be a five-meter ring of engagement range on larger maps where it shines, relative to the newly-buffed LMGs, the SMGs with the temerity to compete well beyond their station at range, and those two Consuls of the midrange fight, the M4 and Grau. But my enemies, rather inconsiderately, don’t tend to hand out there.

Lately, I’ve been trying to make it work as an LMG with the drum mag, having bought into the Better Holger Hype. But I’m not showing you my paper targets from that day at the range. I’m hitting the button to reel them in while no one’s looking, balling them up, and tossing them unceremoniously in the recycling bin.

The 141 has pretty much replaced the M4 as my regular mixed-range weapon, partly because I actually really like the higher-contrast ironsights and modded properly has pretty much the same accuracy and steadiness to suppress marksman ranges. I basically go with the max length barrel and aim steadiness mods, forgo the optics so ADS is still competitive.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

Yeah, the fact that the SA87 is a lot better than it used to be is a hell of an indictment of that gun’s early state. There’s a reason it took until April for me to hit even level 30 with it. At least carrying a pistol helps with the movement. I almost never run with an LMG these days. However, that also goes a long way to strip away the use case for an LMG that is a bit of a crossover with an AR.

One thing I will say about the SA87 is that sadly trying to upgrade its mags to 50 or 60 rounds makes the ads time ABYSMAL. Holy crap I thought the Scar17 or AK had bad ads times, but good lord the SA87 with 60 round mags takes the cake. I tried setting up my anti air class with it to try and continue getting upgrades for it and it was so bad I immediately put my PKM back in there after one match. This thing is basically stuck with 30 round mags unless you're running it completely bare.

• mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Had a great Warzone session with my amigos. I also didn't realize that you could spray paint your friends with your decals.

Can the enemy see you spray painted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDG51_myDbg

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yes. In fact, it's supposed to be a thing to do for the Gulag: spraypaint any enemies up there with you, then the spraypaint sticks into the fight and makes them easier to see.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Another 30 gigabyte update. I'm fucking

I'm fucking dying here
    This shit is killing me

I appreciate there's 2 new multiplayer maps, which is definitely not insubstantial, but the Warzone-only update is 22gb alone and I don't even play that shit, can I just save my fucking bandwidth and get some Multiplayer in

I legitimately miss the shit out of the old days where you could download the singleplayer and multiplayer clients separately. Now more than ever. Has the IW team ever talked about justifying the fucking size of these downloads? Let alone the fucking hard disk space gymnastics I read about that console users have to go through in order to properly install it

fucking hell

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I just want an “Only Warzone” option.

100gb install is absurd.

Splitting the two would benefit the user experience for both, really

I would actually legitimately accept it if both games added up to twice the size on my hard drive if it meant smaller, more optional patches (but of course this is the most tubular of pipe dreams)

There's zero chance they will split the downloads. If they split the downloads, then there would be a barrier between playing the free Warzone and the retail game; since the last thing they want is to make it even slightly harder to sell the retail game through all their "gentle" hinting (BUY A BATTLEPASS NOW! HERE'S EVERYTHING FROM THE FULL GAME!), I don't ever see Warzone being a separate download.

Which is obviously moronic because holy fucking shit, I only play Warzone and it's absolutely insane how much extra space it takes to include all the other CoD shit I don't give a damn about.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Fuck em. I'm just not playing anymore.
    I really was digging getting in and playing this with a few friends over lockdown but this updating strategy is so anti-customer that I can't handle it. I even have a gigabit connection and I'm finding this tiresome.

• monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    I pulled it down and updated it while sending a few emails. It wasn't bad? Granted, it is really frustrating when I just want to sit and play with my brother on Thurs night and either he or I had forgotten to get the update and let the shaders install...

Working on the sniper reticles, which is not fun for me. Crouching or mounted kills are bad enough, but using optics I hate and playing in a way I don't enjoy is tough. Since I never really use the sniper scopes I might just bail on it.

• MarekMarek Lurker Pro A screen door... factoryRegistered User regular
    Anyone having a disc read error (I'm completely digital edition) kick you out of the Warzone lobby after 30 seconds or so? This is happening on Xbox and just now started after the patch. I'm reading online that a reinstall is likely the fix, but the filesize... argh...

XBL: Jason Marek
    Fuck em. I'm just not playing anymore.
    I really was digging getting in and playing this with a few friends over lockdown but this updating strategy is so anti-customer that I can't handle it. I even have a gigabit connection and I'm finding this tiresome.

Right, this is just about where I'm at. I upgraded to fiber broadband end of last year and I don't think the game would have stayed installed this long if I constantly opened up Battle.net and had to wait 2-3 days for my copper ADSL to finish the download every time they decide to bring out new content. I don't know if there's some context as to how they deliver these files that's stopping them from making it less gargantuan, but I've never had a more hostile user experience this generation than the shit I have to go through to update the client, install the shaders, then restart my computer every time a new update comes because for whatever reason it doesn't connect properly to the servers directly after an update is performed. Runners-up to my Overwatch experience where my network connection to the servers would just spontaneously break, which was even worse at the time since I deluded myself into thinking dedicating time to playing it competitively was a good idea.

Maybe it's just an Activision thing now.
    Actually, come to think of it, I probably wouldn't have bought Modern Warfare at all if I was still on ADSL2, given the initial install itself was like 180GB.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    I pulled it down and updated it while sending a few emails. It wasn't bad? Granted, it is really frustrating when I just want to sit and play with my brother on Thurs night and either he or I had forgotten to get the update and let the shaders install...

Working on the sniper reticles, which is not fun for me. Crouching or mounted kills are bad enough, but using optics I hate and playing in a way I don't enjoy is tough. Since I never really use the sniper scopes I might just bail on it.

It's not that it's really physically challenging to get the updates. It's just that it's an updating strategy that puts the consumer's convenience dead last. It's trash customer service and it's just tiresome at this point.

I guess I don't have any other current-gen multiplayer game to compare it to besides Overwatch, which delivered content far less regularly, and usually seemed to take longer to do smaller updates, so I'm not sure how it's been done better.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    My friend was playing Warzone and got matched with a couple of geese. Kinda surprised they weren't already banned.

EdLRgwH.jpg?1

Stabbity_Style.png
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    My updates take about 10+ hours to download due to my 6Mb connection, but I just leave the Battle.net client open all the time and it's ready by the time I get home from work.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    edited May 2020
    monkeykins wrote: »
    I guess I don't have any other current-gen multiplayer game to compare it to besides Overwatch, which delivered content far less regularly, and usually seemed to take longer to do smaller updates, so I'm not sure how it's been done better.

The thing about this is that so many of the changes on the update list are game modes, rebalances and bugfixes, just like Overwatch. The previous time a major update like this occurred for Modern Warfare, we got a single new weapon, and a new map with different lighting effects or whatever, and that was also 30GBs. Overwatch's major updates have about the same level of content for the fraction of the size, and the patches aren't as gargantuan for stuff that isn't explicitly new content being added to the game, which is where the difference here is split. (and yes, I know the context between a flat cartoon-ass multiplayer game and a Call of Duty Plus Battle Royale is different but the delivery of actual content is effectively the same)

I've also never had any other multiplayer game require multiple 30GB patches within 2 consecutive days like Infinity Ward pulled off a while ago. Modern Warfare just seems actively hostile towards low-bandwidth users.

BRIAN BLESSED on
    I think at some point, Activision and Infinity Ward are going to have to realize that they can't keep increasing the game size with their maps. (And quite honestly a lot of the new maps are kind of crappy.) I feel like it's going to hit a point where Infinity Ward is going to start removing maps to reduce file size. Right now I have Modern Warfare on the SSD, but it's quickly starting to take up a majority of my HD space. So if they don't stop adding maps or figure out a way to reduce size, then I'm going to have to move it onto my much slower but bigger HDD and that would suck.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I can say this; I'm having a good time in this game but I'm terrible at it. Something about it makes me wanna play aggro as heck but you really are paper thin. The times when things work out and you just mow people down it feels great.

I also choke in the gulag a lot but mostly because I again tend to rushdown which people seem to anticipate. I think my hands down favorite part of the game is the helicopters, so many fun and hilarious moments with my brothers flying those. Today I tried to hop out of my heli and throw C4 onto the enemy heli but I miscalculated and fell into their Chopper's blades. I think we all died laughing.

Ironic that CoD and Battlefield were rivals and this honestly feels more like a Battlefield game to me than the last 2 battlefield games. Funny how crappy the Battlefield BR mode was in comparison.

I haven't tried the old C4-on-Helo kamikaze but I'm sure it works like a charm. I only wish it had jets, or let you manually control the airstrikes

I can say this; I'm having a good time in this game but I'm terrible at it. Something about it makes me wanna play aggro as heck but you really are paper thin. The times when things work out and you just mow people down it feels great.

I think more than half of my setups are [silenced weapon with ironsights] with Cold-Blooded, Ghost and Spotter/Tracker/Shrapnel. It honestly works at the vast majority of engagement distances apart from sniper alleyways and has the added benefit of catching opponents on a streak unawares when they've got UAVs and Personal Radars coming out the ass, because getting the positional jump on the opponent is almost more important than actual aiming ability.

Yeah I tend to run those so I don't get sniped immediately. It's when those big fights go off and it's hard to keep track of enemies. Sometimes you win a fight but it just draws more bogies to you, and then you get downed trying to loot and heal. I also have a hard time not seeking revenge on enemies who kill me, it's not smart but man is it satisfying.

Also the autoheal injector is fucking broken as shit on a fundamental level that I'm not sure any amount of mild rebalancing will resolve

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    At some point you start caring less about winning and just play spoiler for as many people as possible. Like 90% of my deaths could be avoided if i were playing to win and didnt make reckless plays for a kill.

https://youtu.be/ecElfw_iYk0
    Really enjoying the midair gunfights at the start of a the match lol, we regularly drop someone before they even get to the ground. We've gotten good at ganging up on one target lmao

Also I crashed a copter into a dude earlier and bailed at the perfect time to not die but smush the guy and yeah, I love that shit

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Any Aus ppl here playing Warzone? Am new here so I'm not sure if there's a spreadsheet somewhere.

This is an old thread, there hasn't been much CoD interest on the forums for some time. Warzone is probably the most attention the series has gotten in years here, so there's no master list like some other more popular games. Depending on platform, you might wanna post in the Steam, PSN or Xbox thread to see if anyone is around as well

edited May 2020
    First couple games on Warzone aren't really warming me to the genre, to be honest. Cool stuff to fill the in-between to incentivise different styles of play, but the rhythm is the same - loot stuff, get shot in the back without barely using any of it

As someone who primarily plays Multiplayer, the gratification simply isn't there for me. The gulag is a really cool idea but for me it's just a chance to go back into the game at an equipment deficit and get shot in the back all over again (and in the case of the last game I played, what appears to be the exact same player), then spend the rest of my time spectating a teammate

Oh well, at least I got a kill in the gulag so I unlocked the next step to the Milsim achievements for the SKSF skins so I don't actually ever have to play Warzone ever again

BRIAN BLESSED on
    Just got to make every kind of weird ass playlist before bothering to do a Duo playlist.

Right, what's supposed to be the rationale behind the constant masses on the socials whining about duos? The only coherent argument I've heard for those so far is that matchmaking times for duo queues are apparently much longer than solo?

edited May 2020
    I just want to play with my brother in a 2 man playlist without a random and not having to fight against 3 man teams.

Feels like every other match it just leaves us as a 2 man team against 3 man teams anyway.

Sirialis on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    First couple games on Warzone aren't really warming me to the genre, to be honest. Cool stuff to fill the in-between to incentivise different styles of play, but the rhythm is the same - loot stuff, get shot in the back without barely using any of it

As someone who primarily plays Multiplayer, the gratification simply isn't there for me. The gulag is a really cool idea but for me it's just a chance to go back into the game at an equipment deficit and get shot in the back all over again (and in the case of the last game I played, what appears to be the exact same player), then spend the rest of my time spectating a teammate

Oh well, at least I got a kill in the gulag so I unlocked the next step to the Milsim achievements for the SKSF skins so I don't actually ever have to play Warzone ever again

Those roadblocks in the operator challenges, and maybe some of the easier daily challenges, are the only reasons I’m looking to run some Warzone tonight. I’m on track for tier 100 by season’s end, but not for level 155, so I need all the XP that I can get.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht

Those roadblocks in the operator challenges, and maybe some of the easier daily challenges, are the only reasons I’m looking to run some Warzone tonight. I’m on track for tier 100 by season’s end, but not for level 155, so I need all the XP that I can get.

Yeah, I was going to say, bad news about those Operator challenges. The BP Tier 100 with Alex is by far the worse- 5 kills in Warzone with Rare(? Blue, I think) weapons. The Plunder mode where you drop with your own weapons does not count, either, has to be weapons you find. Oh, and blue weapons are super rare in Plunder, where you might get actual kills, because everything in chests are Epic.

But I do the same thing- play Warzone only when absolutely required because IMO it is not fun.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    x45gjxhdl5151.png

Aw yiss, gimme dat 24/7 shipment.

Stabbity_Style.png