As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

lurker aims for 2 pages by 2025

OctirinOctirin Registered User regular
edited March 2021 in Artist's Corner
Greetings and salutations, forum people. I'm here to post things on the scary scary internet. I'm trying to get better at painting/drawing for fun. I started up again around last summer when I decided damn the values, I'm gonna color something. So I googled colorful fish and copied one.

xme0303s855d.jpg

I hope it's not too old to post, but no one has seen these images. They are my secret images. This one's a man with two eyes and only one mouth:

53eukunxxkqx.jpg

And a dolphin from google images:

3dod1x7l40pv.jpg

And my dog:

mayjzwtps38w.jpg

I also started meds50heads but I think I'm hung up on wanting each to be better than the last so I'm always reluctant to start the next one. Here's the first:

xnh6oxzn6k30.jpg

And here's the eighth, which is also the latest. For some reason I think it's simultaneously 1) not very good and 2) also better than anything I could ever do, which is an nonsense thing to think but here we are:

anlz03xxopyn.jpg

I draw on post it notes so I can throw most of them away. This is the most recent one:

boybumzp1l71.jpg

I'd like to get better at constructing things, and actually understand their 3d form instead of trying to copy the post-projection 2d shape. Cheeks/jaws, the outer silhouette of the face in non-profile-view is a complete mystery to me, I always feel like I'm just guessing at random. I spend more time rendering than actually setting any forms or proportions up right because the former is fun and new and the latter is very hard. I've also found painting on a tablet far less frustrating than drawing, probably because I don't have to get it exactly right on the first stroke and can sort of nudge things around.

Any and all feedback welcome. Even me just posting these is probably a good thing.

Octirin on

• OctirinOctirin Registered User regular
    Trying to understand water. I think the dark blob in the middle is the wave continuing to curve around behind the foreground, but I can't be sure. Also there's that little doodad that's like, a little water spout looking thing wrapping around itself? I can't tell if that's in the wave or under the wave or what.

om6yas75dh6a.jpg

Light passing through more water = darker?

vx19722a0gbe.jpg

Reference:
    rn9jqxdjw7px.jpg

Spent all day on these eyeballs from reference. Desaturated them a lot to make sure the values were right, and it turns out they never were so I always had to go darker, especially for the iris.

pi1hxzsdt424.jpg

The rotation of the iris' ellipse seems real subtle and important. I've never really understood how to make an eye look in the direction I want it to look. I'm pretty sure look direction goes from the center of the eyeball sphere then out through the pupil, but I think once eyelids get involved I have trouble seeing the sphere.

Big ol' pair of eyes on a tiny little monkey. Wound up too dark and a lot else is wrong but I just need to stop.

yc9naj0hfbld.jpg

reference:
    yckmho7z9dqk.jpg

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    As I was scrolling down the biggest thing that stood out to me was "darker" but you seem to have picked up on that with your eye studies! Don't be afraid to get the darkest stuff darker as it will widen your range of values so you're not working in such a small window. Be mindful that dark does not mean black, shadows still have colour.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    The eye studies have the best range, but the last study is also nice, it maybe just needs one more pass for highlights if you want it to feel closer to the reference. It doesn't seem particularly dark to me. If it feels really hard to draw in darker ends of the spectrum, good to double check your monitors (if you are on a desktop) or make sure your tablet brightness isn't too far down (if you're on an iPad or similar)

You're further along than most beginners who swing through wanting to pick up and draw, so it would seem you already have some study habits and resources that are working for you. What have you been looking at other than challenges like meds50heads?

edited May 2020
    You're right! Turns out my monitor was at 25/100 brightness and 0/100 contrast, and probably has been for years.

Mostly I've been watching a lot of youtube videos: sinix, proko, etc. Not really drawing along, just kind of putting it on and hoping I get something out of it via osmosis. Or I'll go to twitch's art category and leave something from there on off to the side.

Octirin on
    Spent more time than I intended on a frame from kiki's delivery service.

23gv1uz8lpub.jpg

Botched the perspective by trying to eyeball it. Screwed up the colors by forgetfully leaving the reference on a second, much yellower, monitor. I tried to fix it with color adjustment curves. Ran out of steam for the foreground and my bad perspective made it all screwy so I just cropped it out.

On the plus side I learned how to draw a pretzel, so overall a win.

ref:
    xxw982en8kh7.jpg

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    First time in here. Nice work! Keep going!! :D

Thanks!

Drew a lot of llamas from reference, then tried to paint one of them real quick
    vplzx4yww6sb.jpg
    Reference
    7s3gtkop36io.jpg

Then I tried to sculpt a llama, then a head, then a skull.
    yvtdlogpum1g.jpeg
    anthropomorphized mashed potatoes
    utudbv2zndlx.jpg
    I had a 3d scanned skull for reference for this one
    fph7scngxga0.jpeg

Looked up some layered hair to put on that llama, came out real anime. Blue was a bad choice and I think leaned way too hard into the ribbon thing.
    objammhft8j7.jpg

Copied this from gurney's color and light, unfortunately before I got to the section on water.
    The section on peak chroma convinced me to switch from HSV to HSY' in my color selector, so now I can spin the hue wheel without the value changing out from underneath me, hopefully.
    4nmp35isrp5b.jpg

And these were the first 8 image results for 'haircut'.
    zu2qkuwb8at9.jpg
    Not a whole lot of variety there.

edited May 2020
    bird up
    ahnrw2yhlnuh.jpg
    Sorry third bird but I'm calling it here.
    q35r19ajhn4a.jpg
    Edited for jpg quality

Octirin on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Love that llama with the long hair lol. nice work!

• zehailiuzehailiu assistant arch mage croatiaRegistered User regular
    Nice stuff, you seem to have a very good eye for color and atmosphere. :)

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Hey mate how's it going over there? I feel like I am trying to do what you are doing and it would be great to see more of your works! Love the colors on the parrots(?), they are so vibrant.

edited October 2020
    Thank you for the kind comments!

Haven't posted because I feel like I can't really follow up on those macaws. Past me was unfairly motivated for a good two weeks.
    I tried to paint a pile of rocks a month later, but the overcast lighting kicked my butt and I gave up.
    0rxx96d8sakp.jpg
    Then I planned to do a bunch of street view things but only did half of one.
    ap28pbo8mb79.jpg
    Wanted to learn how to draw like, an elbow, and fell into months of anatomy videos only to discover humans are incomprehensible meat fractals. It's also having a bizarre effect on my doodles. I swear I just wanted to doodle a cat.
    r1v0isvu89rc.jpg
    Drew a kangaroo from reference on... paper? My left pinky involuntarily twitches every time I make a mistake, and I'm reluctant to go dark because then my eraser won't work.
    drfe9iinibud.jpg

Also I was (am?) really bad at drawing lines, especially on a tablet, so I've been trying to work on that by occasionally copying a drawing from something like a cartoon or logo. This is a tale of two ranmas.
    dtjhr8ncqeug.png

My ~15 year old wacom graphire3 had been slowly dying. I started using the eraser end because the pen side just wouldn't register low pressure anymore. I finally replaced it with a huion h610 pro v2. It's nice! I hope it's anywhere near as durable.

Trying to get away from copying so much, so I'm amusing myself by trying to draw animals from imagination before looking up any references, and then trying again afterwards.
    7eu3ljpuoiw1.jpg
    With a somewhat disturbingly humanoid back leg.

I hope I can find a reliable way to get myself to draw/paint more, because that seems to be the hardest part right now. It's certainly not a lack of time.

EDIT: Gonna sneak my battle with the pressure-controlled-size brush in here at the end
    some foliage, some from ghibli references some not
    8i0muckzuzwe.jpg
    5j9g0rh5rt55.png

Octirin on
    another mapcrunch
    j0yb3vh3s7fi.jpg
    trying lineart for something that's not a copy, and the lasso tool for shading, featuring that one generic face I draw without reference
    xtb9szd3lzr8.png
    the turtle's trying to eat her green hair, but at some point the shoulder got moved and now you can't tell :(

and a drawtober thing, not really a drawing(?) but shhh don't tell anyone
    jib6aw3p0j3c.jpg
    It's supposed to be the inside of a spooky jack-o-lantern cave appearing orange under torchlight, so I hope it doesn't read as a ginormous pumpkin full of stars.

edited October 2020
    this was supposed to be clint eastwood from reference, better luck next time
    0bs2dek7hlm9.png

some more drawtober things
    apothecary
    pnt5ifj7qsw2.jpg
    midnight feast
    frsaogm99ff8.jpg

EDIT: grilled cheese
    synipjbw7c6y.jpg
    EDIT2:
    1mjzgyutpdbl.jpg
    EDIT3:
    25s00wufgi67.jpg

Octirin on
    tfz3p4wbi3d0.jpg
    From a photo. Does my dog actually get slightly rainbowy in her sunbeam? The investigation continues, maybe she's a pixie.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Welcome back! Would love to see more of your painting studies! I really like the rainbow effect on the whiskers and nose

Peas on
    Thanks peas. I haven't opened krita much since october, so hopefully I can pick up where I left off.
    Today, one of my old nemesises: leaves.
    632bkiuzx6kp.jpg
    feat. sky broccoli
    xx2w7xh0yu6p.jpg

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Thems good draws. Keep it up!

edited June 2021
    Thank you interminably long snake!
    I am painting Daniel of Vito from a photograph. I'm currently on the face because I saved it for last because faces are hard and bleh and I need to take a break.
    WIP:
    nhyr223l0js7.jpg
    and the photo reference
    jeawdlp0segc.jpg

EDIT: I'm tapping out
    7n9wxt8my6lc.jpg

Octirin on
    edited June 2021
    some more random studies from photos
    smb59kckdm0x.jpg
    3x5l6xrgoarx.jpg
    Edited for clarification

Octirin on
  • AntonioMabsAntonioMabs Registered User regular
    Killing it! Your stuff is wonderful, loving the water paintings a lot.

Thank you, that's really kind!

I copied a pretty picture of santorini and played around with texturey brushes at the end! I also tried out the clone tool for the water speckles. I also used more of a mix of brushes, so I got some nice hard edges for once.
    Though when it came to perspective/construction I tried to just wing it so things wound up a little wonky as always.
    d4s0ohikdx04.jpg
    the photo ref
    vw4roxs4dxr6.jpg

• AimAim Registered User regular
    It took me a couple of seconds to realize it wasn't a photo - second thought was, when those bells ring, must suck for whoever's in the balcony :)

Foam!
    0ir31mwhsrg3.jpg
    Ref!
    7ee4nl2hltl8.jpg

Doodlin
    kq2929fnuagi.jpg
    Torsos are hard. I tried to fix it, but then I stared at it so long that I can't see straight anymore.

Barely drawing ): More water and hair photo studies
    wl6oqu8xdsir.jpg
    jwni8w8v78mk.jpg
    bonus crabtaur doodle
    j72r6cpalg4s.jpg

• barcsbarcs ireland Registered User regular
    the crabtaur is....haunting.

My brain can't parse bushes, but I also can't just move on because it sits there mocking me! So here's another abandoned mapcrunch
    6dq55md2zgk3.jpg

i found this tutorial very helpful to understand bushes and natural settings
    https://youtu.be/xHmIDcDxXNo

edited September 2021
    Thanks for the video I really like their focus on the silhouette. I also scrounged around a bit for other videos and examples.
    The experimenting continues
    ryi3idxb9uew.jpg
    I've just now realized the scale of the leaves is probably important. I'll get it next time
    hf5i5izpncqd.jpg
    edit: i have drawn a leaf
    73ovwv6557zv.jpg
    edit dos: and studied a ghibli
    52d9uvhr7xs6.jpg
    ref
    r03mzt4vgdnx.jpg

Octirin on
    that ghibli study is fantastic!

edited September 2021
    another mapcrunch
    avnajua8utt8.jpg
    more trees?
    de6avm2ivhhk.jpg
    everywhere I look I see trees, lurking outside my window, plotting against me
    9ef83dm3o88j.gif

Octirin on
    I was practicing foliage so I wouldn't embarrass myself for part 2 of a twitch study night, and here it is
    dlvnmhxkw4e9.jpg
    I sort of panicked and just painted normally, but hopefully it starts to make up for my previous awful attempt:
    You ever let yourself down so hard that you wish you just hadn't tried? :(
    6kdktiuop29s.jpg
    Granted that one was all foliage and rocks, which I find absolutely impossible.

• AntonioMabsAntonioMabs Registered User regular
    You’re getting it, it’s looking really good, maybe you could try a leaf brush when you paint foliage so you can just focus on lights and don’t have to worry too much about each little detail.

Love your work!

Chrono Cross remaster! I can't wait to bully some komodos

pm9ecbyjdgiu.jpg