As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Tried some Costco Chicken Tikka Masala and it was pretty good! I've never actually had it before. Now I'm going to have to run down some authentic stuff locally, or try making it myself.

Find your nearest Indian restaurant. Good Tikka Masala is fucking fantastic.

The problem is that Indian is under represented around here, and the two current restaurants are both closed right now for the immediate future. Believe me though, when they open back up I'll be eagerly in line. Indian is one cuisine I've never really explored before, I really need to alleviate that.

There are only two restaurants? Or there are only two restaurants that were open because our new apocalypse?

There's only two main restaurants in town in general for the last few years. We had a couple food trucks for a while, and every now and then another restaurant will make a go.

We have lots of great Mexican, though. And some damn good seafood. I enjoy living an hour from the coast.

Yea we have Mexican from 100% authentic from unique regions of Mexico to as American as apple pie, and everything in between. It's great. Also some solid Thai.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Growing up, the only Indian food I was exposed to was a single tandoori chicken dish that was available at a Mexican/American restaurant called El Sombrero.

I'm still not sure if there's any reliable Indian places around my parents house. But then it's East coast USA. So not really a ton of Asian/Pacific/Indian immigrants.

Also before I decided to go the bread route, I almost did the cheese route. I've got a bunch of cheese cloth still.

Maybe I'll try soon. Make my own ricotta.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I just cracked an egg for an omelette and it was a double yolker, the first time I've ever actually seen one irl....and I said "remember that episode of Saturday Kitchen where they got two double yolkers in a row?" and then the next one I cracked was a double yolker and then so was the third one. Perhaps the best egg-related day of my fragile existence.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    If you get a double yolker there is a statistically high chance more in the carton will also be a double yolkers. There’s a reason why, but I can’t remember it right now.

These were visibly massive.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    If you get a double yolker there is a statistically high chance more in the carton will also be a double yolkers. There’s a reason why, but I can’t remember it right now.

Where did you get your eggs, @Prolegomena

Is there a chance they were all from the same chicken?

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Yea I bought a 900gram free range egg carton (usually they're like 600-700), only one of them wasn't a double yolker.

Just supermarket eggs so I would have thought a low chance of same-chickenhood.

They're extra large ones though so on the assumption that a double yolk means a larger egg then selecting for larger eggs would increase the chances of double yolks.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Old and busted:
    r4qu4mij8yqo.png

New hotness:
    b9jnbkit2hxq.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Me after I cut up potatoes: "Damnit, that's too many potatoes."

Me after I roast the potatoes: "Damnit, why didn't I cut up more potatoes?!"

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    guys cherries are in season
    I bought so many cherries

... now I'm gonna have to bake something with these cherries because I'm not sure I can physically eat this many cherries otherwise

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Made shredded chicken for the first time today. Threw it in a crock pot with some water, oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and 4 hours later it melted away. My SO sat there watching my stupidity as I said "it just falls apart so easily!!!" Put some poblano cream sauce on it and some rice and it was great.

Next is gonna be a shredded teriyaki chicken.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

... now I'm gonna have to bake something with these cherries because I'm not sure I can physically eat this many cherries otherwise

Tick tock, it's clafoutis o'clock!

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2020
    When you are a dumbass and think “huh this bread flour is weird” only to realize you made whole wheat cookies.

I mean, they were good cookies but it threw off my cooking times.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    V1m wrote: »

Ironically, I made a cherry pie, but I didn’t have enough pastry for a top so I just threw a bunch of frangipane on top.
    So... kind of an unplanned clafoutis.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    "Clafoutis" is my favorite word to deliberately mispronounce. Also to pronounce correctly. It's just a fun word to say.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Made shredded chicken for the first time today. Threw it in a crock pot with some water, oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and 4 hours later it melted away. My SO sat there watching my stupidity as I said "it just falls apart so easily!!!" Put some poblano cream sauce on it and some rice and it was great.

Slow-cook/Instant Pot chicken is one of my very favorite things to make, and it's dead easy. I don't bother with the oil, just garlic salt and pepper. Have it with rice and/or some kind of sauce. Save the broth and use that in place of water for the rice.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    One nice benefit of slow cooking chickens is that you extract a lot of the gelatin and collagen from the bones and end up eating it alongside the meat (or rice or couscous or anything you cooked using the leftover liquid), and that stuff's great for ya.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    One nice benefit of slow cooking chickens is that you extract a lot of the gelatin and collagen from the bones and end up eating it alongside the meat (or rice or couscous or anything you cooked using the leftover liquid), and that stuff's great for ya.

Or separate it and make schmaltz!

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I've been considering getting a slow cooker for quite some time now and looking at the prices, they are much more affordable now here, there are crock pots (which is a brand, right? Not a type?) for ~50 eurodollars available (on the lower end, obv). HMMM!

Is there anything I should look for in a slow cooker? And what is the difference between a slow cooker and an instant pot? I'm pretty sure that those pots are more energy-efficient than, say, making pulled pork in an oven.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

el_vicio wrote: »
    I've been considering getting a slow cooker for quite some time now and looking at the prices, they are much more affordable now here, there are crock pots (which is a brand, right? Not a type?) for ~50 eurodollars available (on the lower end, obv). HMMM!

Is there anything I should look for in a slow cooker? And what is the difference between a slow cooker and an instant pot? I'm pretty sure that those pots are more energy-efficient than, say, making pulled pork in an oven.

An instant pot is a slow cooker and a whole list of other appliances rolled into one.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular

An instant pot is primarily a pressure cooker, which is basically a slow cooker, but fast. And it's way safer than older generation pressure cookers you may have had, the locking mechanism is very easy.

It's also a slow cooker, and can technically saute as well, though it's not very good at that part, but it's still a pretty fantastic investment since it's basically several appliances in one

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

An instant pot is primarily a pressure cooker, which is basically a slow cooker, but fast. And it's way safer than older generation pressure cookers you may have had, the locking mechanism is very easy.

It's also a slow cooker, and can technically saute as well, though it's not very good at that part, but it's still a pretty fantastic investment since it's basically several appliances in one
    I never had a pressure cooker myself, because anecdotes of old ones blowing up haunted me. Pulled pork and chicken melting off the bone though...

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Slow cookers do one thing (cook slow, for like stews and meat that takes a long time at low temperature); Instant Pot (and other comparable brands) do multiple things - I think the generic term is "multi-cooker" or something similar. Instant Pots probably have a slow-cook option, I haven't used that part of mine yet. So far I've mostly just used the pressure cooker functionality, which is for cooking stuff in water sealed under high pressure; the pressure makes it so the water doesn't boil at 212F, it gets hotter than that and cooks the food faster. Pressure cooking has been useful for me for cooking dry beans without soaking them, cooking bones/cartilage/etc for stock, doing steel-cut oats a little quicker than usual etc.

My Instant Pot is a pretty basic version in terms of features so I haven't explored it much, it also has a "Saute" function which mostly just turns on the heating element under the pot insert and works like an insulated hot-plate. I found it very useful last summer when it was crazy hot, it let me cook one-pot dishes without turning on the stove and heating up the kitchen.

tl;dr - both slow cookers and Instant Pots (multicookers) can make pulled pork - either the Instant Pot has a slow-cook feature, or pressure cooking some cuts of meat will break down the gelatin similar to slow-cooking, and there are plenty of Instant Pot pulled pork recipes out there.

I think people think of pressure cookers exploding in movies (like Breakfast At Tiffany's) and grandmas remembering back in the 50s when they were basically just pots with lids that sealed and locked. Modern pressure cookers will definitely have safety lids and pressure release valves; when my Instant Pot is pressurized, you can't remove the lid, and the valve automatically releases excess pressure. You turn the valve when you're done cooking and release the pressure for a minute or so, the lid won't unlock until the pressure equalizes and it's safe.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

I never had a pressure cooker myself, because anecdotes of old ones blowing up haunted me. Pulled pork and chicken melting off the bone though...

Same; I refuse to use other pressure cookers, but the instant pot has like a dozen different safety mechanisms to prevent a bad lock or being able to unlock before the pressure is safe.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I've only ever done this with BBQ sauce. I hadn't thought that I could do it with just water and seasoning.

Ellie might just eat that.

you might have just made my life ridiculously easier.

V1m wrote: »

Ironically, I made a cherry pie, but I didn’t have enough pastry for a top so I just threw a bunch of frangipane on top.
    So... kind of an unplanned clafoutis.

pfrc840lahn3.jpg

I waited as long as I could, but the top started catching before the innards were fully cooked, because of the sheer density of cherries (for those playing along at home, frangipane improvisation has its limits). So it's more like a (very delicious) cherry pudding. Don't care, eating it anyway.

oxflhpz25j6j.jpg

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

can confirm

I had three in a carton once

• Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    My Nan had a pressure cooker go. The release valve is a little valve on the top that you put weights on and the amount of weight dictates the pressure that the cooker gets to before venting. Now most explosions are due to people jamming said valve shut.

Now my Nan wasn't silly, she didn't do that. Just unlucky, she was cooking rhubarb and sugar and somehow some of the rhubarb got up in the valve and blocked it. Now their kitchen as the time was the size of a closet, luckily noone was in there when the lid blew off because every surface in there ended up coated in a sticky, hot as hell, rhubarb/sugar mixture!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

HOME MADE CHERRY RIPES

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I started making lonzino last night

hopefully in a month and some I'll have a delicious dry cured pork tenderloin to eat!

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

I've only ever done this with BBQ sauce. I hadn't thought that I could do it with just water and seasoning.

Ellie might just eat that.

you might have just made my life ridiculously easier.

The irony is that the only reason I thought to do it with chicken and a bit of seasoning was because I remembered reading about people here doing it with pulled pork to make BBQ pork. So I went "hmmm, what about chicken?" and wallah, a thousand recipes emerged. Didn't have chicken broth to do it with (which was what I mainly found) then read that an equivalent amount of water + a tablespoon of olive oil does the same thing. Worked wonders, chicken turned out well, and now I can do about a million other different seasonings with it.

HOME MADE CHERRY RIPES

I think I’d need to dry them first for those? But you raise an intriguing possibility.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I'm sure there are happier word sequences in the language than "The tandoori wings are nearly done - better butter the garlic naan and pour a glass of this chilled white"

But I bet there aren't many.

"We need someone to cuddle the puppies in this box" is pretty close.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yeah, the thing is that when you cook a chicken in water, that produces broth. Who knew? :)

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm making my first real meal in an Instant Pot, and tonight I have discovered that I would be the worst atheist professor. My faith in science is weak, I would dive right out of the way of that swinging pendulum and let that smarmy evangelical kid preach to my class while I fled in shame.

I know exactly why pressure cookers are safe, especially modern ones, but there is a robot bomb shooting steam on my counter and I am afeared.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I want to roast a chicken

I am going to go to the store and look for a chicken to roast tomorrow.

Oh yeah, I remembered the other reason people think pressure cookers are going to explode

because sometimes people build bombs in them

This discussion has been closed.