As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Fires of Treachery banned!

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Cat deck started running against actual decks in platinum.
    So now I have a recurring debuff aura Hateful Eilodon/Lurrus deck.
    Mire's grasp for the box art feels appropriate as I abandon all morals.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

Indeed, they have been abandoned.

Just played someone whose name started with Soulluss that was truly soulless. Kroxa as their commander and a deck full of hand hate, including recurring hand hate like Angrath, the Flame Chained - a card I've never even seen before. Then Command the Dreadhorde to use the best of my discards against me. And just bouncing back Kroxa periodically as needed.

Thankfully, Profane Procession is really good. Really, really good. So I could exile their first few creatures and then use them against them. But, like, better since I had The Great Henge in play and a bunch of proliferate going on. OH. HOW DOES THAT TASTE. HOW DOES IT FEEL WHEN YOUR OBOSH ANNIHILATES YOUR KROXA. DO YOU LIKE APPLES. HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES.

I am reminded that it's a very good thing that we can't actually chat with anyone who isn't a friend on Arena.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Just played someone whose name started with Soulluss that was truly soulless. Kroxa as their commander and a deck full of hand hate, including recurring hand hate like Angrath, the Flame Chained - a card I've never even seen before. Then Command the Dreadhorde to use the best of my discards against me. And just bouncing back Kroxa periodically as needed.

Thankfully, Profane Procession is really good. Really, really good. So I could exile their first few creatures and then use them against them. But, like, better since I had The Great Henge in play and a bunch of proliferate going on. OH. HOW DOES THAT TASTE. HOW DOES IT FEEL WHEN YOUR OBOSH ANNIHILATES YOUR KROXA. DO YOU LIKE APPLES. HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES.

I am reminded that it's a very good thing that we can't actually chat with anyone who isn't a friend on Arena.

The biggest improvement I've seen moving to Arena from MTGO is the lack of the ability to communicate between players in Arena. Because invariably the anonymous internet person piloting my opponent is some kind of monster, so best to have no way for them to spitefully interact.

• Options

The biggest improvement I've seen moving to Arena from MTGO is the lack of the ability to communicate between players in Arena. Because invariably the anonymous internet person piloting my opponent is some kind of monster, so best to have no way for them to spitefully interact.

That's my biggest complaint.
    Even if they're some kind of monster.
    Maybe especially if?

I gave up when I ran into Thassa - Treachery, and they stole my Lurrus, but after I had played Kaya's ghostform on it, expecting to be able to Kaya's wrath it.
    Ghostform fell off.

Now I have those enchantment sacrificial protection nymphs.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Whoo, i'm not a fan of the current Festival.

My 3rd match, i had an opponent play Mirror March then Challenger troll and get 6 copies.

2 matches later, i played Mirror March, Challenger troll and some other creature and got tails for both on the first flip.

Frustrating.

(That said, Dragon Mage makes the game extra spicy)

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Historic brawl is so good. I don't even mind how long most of my games are going, because it's so refreshing to be playing games where I'm actually surprised by what my opponent plays and both of us actually have to think about what to do much of the time.

That said, I was in another long match just now that I was feeling good about with a decent creature advantage until my opponent played Shatter the Sky. While I had Daxos, a 15/15 Elenda the Dusk Rose, Teysa Karlov and a bunch of other creatures out. Then I felt great.

46 triggers later when I was up at like 35+ life they conceded as soon as 30-some vampire tokens with lifelink hit the board.

edit: Next game, Teysa's out with Syr Konrad, Vindictive Vampire and a lot of other stuff that triggers upon death. Opponent plays Kaya's Wrath and 78 triggers begin. They died while there were still 56 left to resolve. Not that they really had much choice - it was a deck that wanted to put things in the graveyard and then bring them back, and Syr Konrad was like a kid on Christmas.

How did you not play against only tribal aggro beatdown?

I don't think I've seen any decks that would fit that bill, and I've played a lot of games of historic brawl tonight. The only very aggro decks I've faced were the super uncreative mono-red decks with Torbran as their commander. Otherwise it's been a lot of fun against a wide, wide variety of decks.

My last opponent had a ridiculous deck with Jodah, Archmage Eternal as his commander. He dropped an early Chromatic Lantern, played Jodah on Turn 4, and hit me with Ruinous Ultimatum on Turn 5. That was a big old W.T.F. moment. I somehow held on and faced down all kinds of crazy shit like having a Genesis Ultimatum drop Ghalta, Primal Hunger and an 11/11 Beanstalk Giant, which were then followed up by End-Raze Forerunners. Managed to get indestructible lands in play with Nissa, only to have him bring Jodah back out after a while and drop Zetalpa, Kenrith and who knows what else was still on the way because I conceded the hell out of there.

interesting i played against almost exclusively winota aggro decks and one admiral becket brass pirate tribal aggro to mix it up

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

My 3rd match, i had an opponent play Mirror March then Challenger troll and get 6 copies.

2 matches later, i played Mirror March, Challenger troll and some other creature and got tails for both on the first flip.

Frustrating.

yeah the Festival feels very coin-flippy (even without Mirror March). Sort of like that draft variant where everything is free, you mostly just want to see card-draw in your opening hand; mull until you do, then hope you draw more better stuff than your opponent.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Frustrating.

yeah the Festival feels very coin-flippy (even without Mirror March). Sort of like that draft variant where everything is free, you mostly just want to see card-draw in your opening hand; mull until you do, then hope you draw more better stuff than your opponent.

At least you have 4 or 5 free mulligans apparently?

• Options
    Historic brawl is so good. I don't even mind how long most of my games are going, because it's so refreshing to be playing games where I'm actually surprised by what my opponent plays and both of us actually have to think about what to do much of the time.

That said, I was in another long match just now that I was feeling good about with a decent creature advantage until my opponent played Shatter the Sky. While I had Daxos, a 15/15 Elenda the Dusk Rose, Teysa Karlov and a bunch of other creatures out. Then I felt great.

46 triggers later when I was up at like 35+ life they conceded as soon as 30-some vampire tokens with lifelink hit the board.

edit: Next game, Teysa's out with Syr Konrad, Vindictive Vampire and a lot of other stuff that triggers upon death. Opponent plays Kaya's Wrath and 78 triggers begin. They died while there were still 56 left to resolve. Not that they really had much choice - it was a deck that wanted to put things in the graveyard and then bring them back, and Syr Konrad was like a kid on Christmas.

How did you not play against only tribal aggro beatdown?

I don't think I've seen any decks that would fit that bill, and I've played a lot of games of historic brawl tonight. The only very aggro decks I've faced were the super uncreative mono-red decks with Torbran as their commander. Otherwise it's been a lot of fun against a wide, wide variety of decks.

My last opponent had a ridiculous deck with Jodah, Archmage Eternal as his commander. He dropped an early Chromatic Lantern, played Jodah on Turn 4, and hit me with Ruinous Ultimatum on Turn 5. That was a big old W.T.F. moment. I somehow held on and faced down all kinds of crazy shit like having a Genesis Ultimatum drop Ghalta, Primal Hunger and an 11/11 Beanstalk Giant, which were then followed up by End-Raze Forerunners. Managed to get indestructible lands in play with Nissa, only to have him bring Jodah back out after a while and drop Zetalpa, Kenrith and who knows what else was still on the way because I conceded the hell out of there.

interesting i played against almost exclusively winota aggro decks and one admiral becket brass pirate tribal aggro to mix it up

I did play against one deck with Winota as their commander. They were piling on as many tokens as possible the first three turns. Then they played Winota on turn 4, I immediately played Despark, and they immediately conceded.

Overall though I really had a good time - decks I faced tended to be original and extremely varied, and I threw together a couple of new decks entirely on a whim and with very little real thought beyond, "this card could be fun to play," and that's when I enjoy Magic the most.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Frustrating.

Eh, it was fine. Two points in its favor were 1) we were all using the same ridiculously huge pre-con, and 2) it wasn't Momir.

Wild swings happened, fun was had.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    MTG Arena code for Godzilla sleeves. $3 on Ebay. Sure I'll take a flyer on it and see if it's real. Those are pretty sleeves.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I hate Crystalline Giant. It always gets +1/+1 or Hexproof the turn before you draw removal for it. 1/10 chance? More like opponent gets whatever's perfect for the turn, every turn.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    MTG Arena code for Godzilla sleeves. $3 on Ebay. Sure I'll take a flyer on it and see if it's real. Those are pretty sleeves.

Godzilla sleeves?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    This is a festival of Things That Should Not Be. So many things that just shouldn't happen in polite society.

My first turn just now: play the Gruul enchantment that gives everybody Riot, play Yarok the Desecrated, play Gyruda with a double trigger thanks to Yarok, pull Niv-Mizzet Parun with the first trigger and then Dungeon Geists with the second trigger. Dungeon Geists double triggers thanks to Yarok and I lock up both of my opponent's creatures. Swing for 17 since everybody has haste and play the green instant that dishes out +3/+3 three times to up it to 26. +1 damage from Niv-Mizzet after casting the green instant. On turn 1.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I got to draw my entire deck with a T1 hand of Scholar of Ages, Hypothesizzle, and Arrester's Admonition. That was extremely fun.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »

Godzilla sleeves?
    r31is3zt49ax.png

Three dollars!

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I played ur wizards for historic brawl and it was a blast as always.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Pack 1 Pick 1 Kaheera. Forced it as my companion.

The deck was so-so, the draws were atrocious. The main reason I quit MTG: self-hate benders after losing. Blargh.

BTW Keep Safe isn't good against opponents with no removal/all tricks, while you're developing your board, or at all. WTB better 22-23 cards.

• Options
    I'm starting to climb platinum with enchantment - Lurrus.
    Mutate doesn't seem to like it when you turn off their cards with Heliod's punishment.

• Options
    The deck:
    thjvzb914val.png
    Probably should have Starfield Mystics in there instead of Dawn of Hope, but that would cost rare wildcards.

Last game was this vs some March of the Multitudes deck.
    Had 150 life and 15 cards left in deck before I had pumped an Ajani's pridemate large enough to protect it with Alseid and get through the chump blockers.
    Other side of the field had like 40 lifelink tokens down -_-

I'm not sure if there was a way he was going to convert the tokens into damage?

• Options
    The deck:
    thjvzb914val.png
    Probably should have Starfield Mystics in there instead of Dawn of Hope, but that would cost rare wildcards.

Had 150 life and 15 cards left in deck before I had pumped an Ajani's pridemate large enough to protect it with Alseid and get through the chump blockers.

Can you add a couple Shadowspears to add trample to the Pridemates? I'm not sure what you'd drop to make room. You probably only need 2.

• Options
    I may try building that deck. I don't have All That Glitters or a Lurrus but I think I have everything else.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    The deck:
    thjvzb914val.png

Can you add a couple Shadowspears to add trample to the Pridemates? I'm not sure what you'd drop to make room. You probably only need 2.

Based on long experience with mono-white lifegain and Pridemates, I'd say 3 Shadowspears would be ideal if possible. 2 is ok, but can take far too long to materialize at times.

edit: with discrider's deck I'd probably look into replacing the Omen of the Deads with Kaya's Ghostforms and slot Shadowspear in the place of Dawn of Hope or (more likely) Funeral Rites. Kaya's Ghostform is a better option than Omen of the Dead imo because it will return a creature that has been exiled. Omen won't help at all in that scenario.

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    The deck:
    thjvzb914val.png

Based on long experience with mono-white lifegain and Pridemates, I'd say 3 Shadowspears would be ideal if possible. 2 is ok, but can take far too long to materialize at times.

edit: with discrider's deck I'd probably look into replacing the Omen of the Deads with Kaya's Ghostforms and slot Shadowspear in the place of Dawn of Hope or (more likely) Funeral Rites. Kaya's Ghostform is a better option than Omen of the Dead imo because it will return a creature that has been exiled. Omen won't help at all in that scenario.

Yeah, but the Alseid's prevent the exiling.
    Hopefully.
    At least there's no board wipe exiles I can think of.

The main trouble with Kaya's is that I found my stuff got exiled after it had been triggered once, or stolen.
    So board wipe into an exile.
    Better to die to the wipe and get my Lurrus omened than get it exiled.
    Or maybe I've just soured too much on Kaya :P

With shadowspear, sort of want to cut two lands for two spears, just to get rid of hexproof mutants.
    But, not sure how many lands I need, and you sort of want to hit 4 mana consistently to play Lurrus with a alsied ready

discrider on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    The deck:
    thjvzb914val.png

Hopefully.

The main trouble with Kaya's is that I found my stuff got exiled after it had been triggered once, or stolen.

With shadowspear, sort of want to cut two lands for two spears, just to get rid of hexproof mutants.
    But, not sure how many lands I need, and you sort of want to hit 4 mana consistently to play Lurrus with a alsied ready

Nice deck!

I don't have wildcards for dawn of hope or the other mystic could I slot in the flying "auras cost less creatures"?

Also the porcuparrot alt art is amazing.
    The festival is a load of random bullshit..

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    The deck:
    thjvzb914val.png

Hopefully.

extinction event is a board wipe exile.

• Options
    BSoB wrote: »
    The deck:
    thjvzb914val.png

Hopefully.

extinction event is a board wipe exile.

Oh noooo

• Options
    edited May 2020
    The deck:
    thjvzb914val.png

Hopefully.

Nice deck!

I don't have wildcards for dawn of hope or the other mystic could I slot in the flying "auras cost less creatures"?

Probably.
    Originally I had Hunted Witness in that slot, just for an extra body to attach things to, and the deck still functioned despite that card not doing much for it.

A (enchantment?) flyer to attach Glitters to is definitely a better option than hunted witness.

I was thinking healer's hawk is probably better for the lifelink though, as all the enchantments are only CMC 2 already.

discrider on
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    The deck:
    thjvzb914val.png

Hopefully.

Nice deck!

Probably.
    Originally I had Hunted Witness in that slot, just for an extra body to attach things to, and the deck still functioned despite that card not doing much for it.

A (enchantment?) flyer to attach Glitters to is definitely a better option than hunted witness.

I was thinking healer's hawk is probably better for the lifelink though, as all the enchantments are only CMC 2 already.

Try Stonecoil Serpents if you have them. Protection from Multicolored makes them Teferi-proof, the trample helps overcome chump blocks, and they’re artifacts which ramps up All That Glitters faster.

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »
    The deck:
    thjvzb914val.png

Hopefully.

Nice deck!

Probably.

Try Stonecoil Serpents if you have them. Protection from Multicolored makes them Teferi-proof, the trample helps overcome chump blocks, and they’re artifacts which ramps up All That Glitters faster.

You can even bring 'em back with Lurrus (as a 1/1 or 2/2 but still).

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Sprout wrote: »
    The deck:
    thjvzb914val.png

Hopefully.

Nice deck!

Probably.

You can even bring 'em back with Lurrus (as a 1/1 or 2/2 but still).

Or with a brought back Omen :winky:

I'll try 2 spears and 2 stonecoils instead of Dawn.

• Options
    No more Magistrate or Winota in Brawl.

• Options
    Lurrus banned for power reasons in Vintage?! That seems big.

• Options
    Lurrus banned for power reasons in Vintage?! That seems big.

Big but wholly unsurprising. You can't restrict a companion in any meaningful way.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    yeah. I think the big surprise is their comment about the other formats being things they're just keeping an eye on for now in the face of the modern 87% companion meta

• Options
    yeah. I think the big surprise is their comment about the other formats being things they're just keeping an eye on for now in the face of the modern 87% companion meta

They even acknowledged they might change the companion rule, which is kind of admitting it's a failure as created.

• Options

They even acknowledged they might change the companion rule, which is kind of admitting it's a failure as created.

The other interesting thing about that is how easy it would be. Nothing on the cards says how the mechanic works, just what the condition is to have them and the fact that you can cast it once per game.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

The other interesting thing about that is how easy it would be. Nothing on the cards says how the mechanic works, just what the condition is to have them and the fact that you can cast it once per game.

While obviously they think changing the companion rule is within the realm of possibility, I don't like tying the argument to "the rules aren't on the card". Most rules aren't spelled out on the cards, that doesn't make it "easy" to change them. Basically no cards refer to the stack, but that wouldn't make it "easy" to put a three-objects-on-the-stack limit.

It's relatively easier to change Companion because there aren't that many cards with it, not because of whether or not the entire rules text of companion is printed on the card.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I should just mainboard Soul-Guide Lantern at this point.

• Options
    milski wrote: »

While obviously they think changing the companion rule is within the realm of possibility, I don't like tying the argument to "the rules aren't on the card". Most rules aren't spelled out on the cards, that doesn't make it "easy" to change them. Basically no cards refer to the stack, but that wouldn't make it "easy" to put a three-objects-on-the-stack limit.

It's relatively easier to change Companion because there aren't that many cards with it, not because of whether or not the entire rules text of companion is printed on the card.

While fair this wouldn't be unprecedented. Even ignoring sweeping rules updates like 6th edition and M10, isolated mechanics have been tweaked like this in the past. Phasing and the Legend/Planeswalker rule are the two that come to mind immediately, and have actually done so a couple of times in their respective lifetimes.

Not a month after they came out, mind.