As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twilight Imperium - Game 6: Round 9 - Game Over!

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Ghosts of Creuss
    Draft position C

Name system 7 "End of the Line".

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Position B

Name System 1 "Here there be Space Dragons"

@discrider

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    @A Half Eaten Oreo: Since you made two selections, you may choose to name a second empty / red system. Remaining systems are 5, 6, 9, 11, and 12.

Remaining Draft Order
    discrider
    Phyphor
    38thDoe
    MrBody

Available Items
    The Winnu
    The Yin Brotherhood

Location D
    Location E
    Location F

Speaker Token

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Name system 5 "They forgot about us".

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Speaker token because why not.
    And the gravity rift (system 12) is 'Some serious shit' because BTTF and that somehow makes sense to me.
    @Phyphor

discrider on
    If that's not acceptable, then just '88mph' should do too

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    You couldn't just let speaker token go to the default ;_;

MrBody on
    MrBody wrote: Β»

I mean, if people are just going to let the best race go past, then who am I to argue?

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    D seems to be the most... interesting choice

Hello everybody-but-A, would you like to be friends?

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I'll take F,
    Name 6 The Potatoclop Nebula
    If there are no objections:
    Name 11 Normal View

@MrBody I think is forced E
    @MrBlarney

38thDoE on steam

38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Yes, that map is correct, prior to all players' race and location selections. Let me know if something seems off.

@Phyphor and @MrBody each have option for naming systems 9 and 11, one each. Otherwise, next rights go to @discrider, who still has to make a selection on which race he will play. (If discrider also declines, I'll go with 38thDoe's suggestion for System 11.)

Assuming all selections and options are in, I'll get everything sent out and a completed starting map uploaded tonight.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    I submit Betelgeuse for system 9

Winnu

Strictly speaking since everybody else chose a race first to avoid getting stuck that was always the correct draft

edited May 2020
    Phyphor wrote: Β»

Strictly speaking since everybody else chose a race first to avoid getting stuck that was always the correct draft

Someone after me could have drafted a system+token too, but A seems good for Winnu, and it was possible I'd draft Creuss.

discrider on
    Strictly speaking I'd appreciate it if everyone helped me out winning.

System 11 = "No Man's Void"

edited May 2020
    I'd appreciate it if everyone would let me get more than 30 ground forces on Mecatol Rex

discrider on
    edited May 2020
    Round 0: Final Preparations

Further adjustment of the map: the Lazar-Sakulag system has been replaced with New Albion-Starpoint.

MrBody: Select the Federation of Sol.
    Rename System 10 to "Rock Block".
    38thDoe: Select the Naalu Collective.
    Rename System 4 to "Victory Road N".
    Phyphor: Select the Nekro Virus.
    Rename System 3 to "Hawking Hole".
    discrider: Select Location A.
    Rename System 2 to "And Lo, What Has Befallen Us?"
    Ketar: Select the Universities of Jol-Nar.
    Rename System 8 to "Has Anyone Seen Crichton?"
    A Half Eaten Oreo: Select the Ghosts of Creuss.
    Rename System 7 to "End of the Line".
    A Half Eaten Oreo: Select Location C.
    Rename System 5 to "They Forgot About Us".
    Ketar: Select Location B.
    Rename System 1 to "Here There Be Space Dragons".
    discrider: Claim the Speaker Token.
    Rename System 12 to "Some Serious Shit".
    Phyphor: Select Location D.
    Rename System 9 to "Betelgeuse".
    38thDoe: Select Location F.
    Rename System 6 to "Potatoclop Nebula".
    MrBody: Select Location E.
    Rename System 11 to "No Man's Void".
    discrider: Select the Winnu.

Current Map: Game Start

All players now draw two Secret Objective cards, which will be sent via PM. Send a reply to that PM with your decision of which card to keep and which to return to the deck; the Secret Objective deck will be shuffled after all players have selected their Secret Objectives. discrider will also make a decision on Winnu's starting technology.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    Sarween Tools I think.
    Is there ever a different choice

Anti-Mass Deflectors if roids are blocking your way to Mecatol.

Sounds like a challenge to construct a map where, after a snake draft, the Winnu player has an asteroid field blocking their path to the centre.

Sounds like a challenge to construct a map where, after a snake draft, the Winnu player has an asteroid field blocking their path to the centre.

I would say to do that you would have to either have a player that foolishly picked the winnu early on the first round allowing them to be forced to a spot, or you would have to have every direct path be blocked

However, with 6 specific races and winnu+yin+norr I could see a world where someone might actually pick the winnu and you would only need 4-5 paths blocked then

I would 100% start with winning over norr. Starting with a tech? Luxury race right there.

38thDoE on steam

edited May 2020
    Round 1: Start of Strategy Phase

All players draw two Secret Objectives, keeping one and returning the other to the deck. The Secret Objectives deck is then shuffled.
    The Winnu select Sarween Tools as their starting technology.
    The top two cards of the Public Objective deck are revealed:
    Negotiate Trade Routes (1 VP): Spend 5 Trade Goods.
    Diversify Research (1 VP): Own 2 technologies in each of 2 colors.
    3 Stage I Objectives and 5 Stage II Objectives remain in the deck.

Current Map: Start of Round 1, Strategy Phase

Current Technologies

Victory Points and Objectives
    The Winnu: 0 VP
    Universities of Jol-Nar: 0 VP
    The Ghosts of Creuss: 0 VP
    Nekro Virus: 0 VP
    Federation of Sol: 0 VP
    The Naalu Collective: 0 VP

Public Objectives
    Negotiate Trade Routes (1 VP): Spend 5 Trade Goods.
    Diversify Research (1 VP): Own 2 technologies in each of 2 colors.
    3 Stage I Objectives and 5 Stage II Objectives remain in the deck.

Secret Objectives
    The Winnu: 1 Secret Objective in hand.
    Universities of Jol-Nar: 1 Secret Objective in hand.
    The Ghosts of Creuss: 1 Secret Objective in hand.
    Nekro Virus: 1 Secret Objective in hand.
    Federation of Sol: 1 Secret Objective in hand.
    The Naalu Collective: 1 Secret Objective in hand.

Special Objectives

The Winnu (discrider) SPEAKER
    Commodities: 0 / 3
    Trade Goods: 0
    Action Cards: 0

Tactic Pool: 3
    Fleet Pool: 3
    Strategy Pool: 2

Promissory Notes: (Ceasefire, Trade Agreement, Political Secret, Support for the Throne, Acquiescence)
    Technology: Sarween Tools

Worlds:
    R - Winnu (3R, 4I)

Other Racial Data:
    - Flagship: Salai Sai Corian: Combat Value 7 (x?), Movement 1, Carry Capacity 3. Sustain Damage. When this unit makes a combat roll, it rolls a number of dice equal to the number of your opponent's non-Fighter ships in this system.
    - Racial Technology: Lazax Gate Folding (Blue, requires 2 Blue): During your Tactical Actions, if you do not control Mecatol Rex, treat its system as if it contains both an Alpha and Beta wormhole. Action: If you control Mecatol Rex, exhaust this card to place 1 Infantry from your reinforcements on Mecatol Rex.
    - Racial Technology: Hegemonic Trade Policy (Yellow, requires 2 Yellow): Exhaust this card when 1 or more of your units use Production; swap the resource and influence value of 1 planet you control until the end of your turn.
    - Blood Ties: You do not have to spend influence to remove the Custodians token from Mecatol Rex.
    - Reclamation: After you resolve a Tactical Action during which you gained control of Mecatol Rex, you may place 1 PDS and 1 Space Dock from your reinforcements on Mecatol Rex.
    - Racial Promissory Note: Acquiescence: At the end of the Strategy Phase: Exchange 1 of your Strategy Cards with a Strategy Card that was chosen by the Winnu player. Then, return this card to the Winnu player.

Universities of Jol-Nar (Ketar)
    Commodities: 0 / 4

Promissory Notes: (Ceasefire, Trade Agreement, Political Secret, Support for the Throne, Research Agreement)
    Technology: Neural Motivator, Antimass Deflectors, Sarween Tools, Plasma Scoring

Worlds:
    R - Jol (1R, 2I)
    R - Nar (2R, 3I)

Other Racial Data:
    - Flagship: J.N.S. Hylarim: Combat Value 6 (x2), Movement 1, Carry Capacity 3. Sustain Damage. When making a combat roll for this ship, each (pre-modified) roll of 9 or 10 produces 2 additional hits.
    - Racial Technology: Spacial Conduit Cylinder (Blue, requires 2 Blue): You may exhaust this card after you ativate a system that contains 1 or more of your units; that system is adjacent to all other systems that contain 1 or more of your units during this activation.
    - Racial Technology: E-Res Siphons (Yellow, requires 2 Yellow): After another player activates a system that contains 1 or more of your ships, gain 4 Trade Goods.
    - Fragile: Apply -1 to the result of each of your units' combat rolls.
    - Brilliant: When you spend a command token to resolve the secondary ability of the Technology Strategy card, you may resolve the primary ability instead.
    - Analytical: When you research a technology that is not a unit upgrade technology, you may ignore 1 prerequisite.
    - Racial Promissory Note: Research Agreement: After the Jol-Nar researches a technology that is not a faction technology: Gain that technology. Then, return this card to the Jol-Nar player.

The Ghosts of Creuss (A Half Eaten Oreo)

Promissory Notes: (Ceasefire, Trade Agreement, Political Secret, Support for the Throne, Creuss IFF)
    Technology: Gravity Drive

Worlds:
    R - Creuss (4R, 2I)

Other Racial Data:
    - Flagship: Hil Colish: Combat Value 5, Movement 1, Carry Capacity 3. Sustain Damage. This ship's system contains a Delta wormhole. During movement, this ship may move before or after your other ships.
    - Racial Technology: Dimensional Splicer (Red, requires 1 Red): At the start of Space Combat in a system that contains a wormhole and 1 or more of your ships, you may produce 1 hit and assign it to 1 of your opponent's ships.
    - Racial Technology: Wormhole Generator (Blue, requires 2 Blue): At the start of the Status Phase, place or move a Creuss wormhole token into either a system that contains a planet you control or a non-home system that does not contain another player's ships.
    - Quantum Entanglement: You treat all systems that contain either an Alpha or Beta wormhole as adjacent to each other. Game effects cannot prevent you from using this ability.
    - Slipstream: During your Tactical Actions, apply +1 to the movement value of each of your ships that starts its movement in your home system or in a system that contains either an Alpha or Beta wormhole.
    - Creuss Gate: When the board is created, the Creuss Gate is placed where your home system would normally be placed. The Creuss Gate system is not a home system; your home system is placed in your play area.
    - Racial Promissory Note: Creuss IFF: At the start of your turn during the Action Phase: Place or move a Creuss wormhole token into either a system that contains a planet you control or a non-home system that does not contain another player's ships. Then, return this card to the Creuss player.

Nekro Virus (Phyphor)

Promissory Notes: (Ceasefire, Trade Agreement, Political Secret, Support for the Throne, Antivirus)
    Technology: Dacxive Animators (Valefor Assimilator X, Valefor Assimilator Y)

Worlds:
    R - Mordai II (4R, 0I)

Other Racial Data:
    - Flagship: The Alastor: Combat Value 9 (x2), Movement 1, Carry Capacity 3. Sustain Damage. At the start of a Space Combat, choose any number of your ground forces in this system to participate in that combat as if they were ships.
    - Racial Technology: Valefar Assimilator X (colorless): When you would gain another player's technology using 1 of your faction's abilities, you may place the "X" assimilator on a faction technology owned by that player instead. While that token is on a technology, this card gains that technology's text. You cannot place an assimilator token on technology that already has an assimilator token.
    - Racial Technology: Valefar Assimilator Y (colorless): When you would gain another player's technology using 1 of your faction's abilities, you may place the "X" assimilator on a faction technology owned by that player instead. While that token is on a technology, this card gains that technology's text. You cannot place an assimilator token on technology that already has an assimilator token.
    - Galactic Threat: You cannot vote on Agendas. Once per Agenda Phase, after an Agenda is revealed, you may predict aloud the outcome of that Agenda. If your prediction is correct, gain 1 technology that is owned by a player who voted how you predicted.
    - Technological Singularity: Once per combat, after 1 of your opponent's units is destroyed, you may gain 1 technology that is owned by that player.
    - Propagation: You cannot research technology. When you would research a technology, gain 3 command tokens instead.
    - Racial Promissory Note: Antivirus: At the start of a combat: Place this card faceup in your play area. While this card is in your play area, the Nekro player cannot use his "Technological Singularity" faction ability against you. If you activate a system that contains 1 or more of the Nekro player's units, return this card to the Nekro player.

Federation of Sol (MrBody)

Promissory Notes: (Ceasefire, Trade Agreement, Political Secret, Support for the Throne)
    Technology: Antimass Deflectors, Neural Motivator

Worlds:
    R - Jord (4R, 2I)

Other Racial Data:
    - Racial Unit: Advanced Carrier (Carrier): As Carrier, but Carry Capacity 6.
    - Racial Unit: Spec Ops (Infantry): As Infantry, but Combat Value 7.
    - Flagship: Genesis: Combat Value 5 (x2), Movement 1, Carry Capacity 12. Sustain Damage. At the end of the Status Phase, place 1 Infantry from your reinforcements in this system's space area.
    - Racial Technology: Spec Ops II (unit upgrade, requires 2 Green): As Infantry, but Combat Value 6. After this unit is destroyed, roll 1 die. If the result is 5 or greater, place the unit on this card. At the start of your next turn, place each unit that is on this card on a planet you control in your home system.
    - Racial Technology: Advanced Carrier II (unit upgrade, requires 2 Blue): As Carrier, but Movement 2, Capacity 8. Sustain Damage.
    - Orbital Drop: Action: Spend 1 token from your Strategy pool to place 2 Infantry from your reinforcements on 1 planet you control.
    - Versatile: When you gain command tokens during the Status Phase, gain 1 additional command token.
    - Racial Promissory Note: Military Support: At the start of the Sol player's turn: Remove 1 token from the Sol player's Strategy pool, if able, and return it to his reinforcements. Then, you may place 2 Infantry from your reinforcements on any planet you control. Then, return this card to the Sol player.

The Naalu Collective (38thDoe)

Promissory Notes: (Ceasefire, Trade Agreement, Political Secret, Support for the Throne, Gift of Prescience)
    Technology: Neural Motivator, Sarween Tools

Worlds:
    R - Maaluuk (0R, 2I)
    R - Druaa (3R, 1I)

Other Racial Data:
    - Racial Unit: Hybrid Crystal Fighter (Fighter): As Fighter, but Combat Value 8.
    - Flagship: Matriarch: Combat Value 9 (x2), Movement 1, Carry Capacity 6. Sustain Damage. During an invasion in this system, you may commit Fighters to planets as if they were ground forces. When combat ends, return those units to the space area.
    - Racial Technology: Hybrid Crystal Fighter II (unit upgrade, requires 1 Green and 1 Blue): As Fighter, but Combat Value 7, Movement 2. Does not need to be Carried; each Fighter in excess of your ships' Capacity counts as 1/2 of a ship against your Fleet pool.
    - Racial Technology: Neuroglaive (Green, requires 3 Green): After another player activates a system that contains 1 or more of your ships, that player removes 1 token from his Fleet pool and returns it to his reinforcements.
    - Telepathic: At the end of the Strategy Phase, place the Naalu "0" token on the Strategy Card; you are first in initiative order.
    - Foresight: After another player moves ships into a system that contains 1 or more of your ships, you may place 1 token from your Strategy pool in an adjacent system that does not contain another player's ships; move your ships from the active system into that system.
    - Racial Promissory Note: Gift of Prescience: At the end of the Strategy Phase: place this card face up in your play area and place the Naalu "0" token on your Strategy Card; you are first in initiative order. The Naalu player cannot use his "Telepathic" faction ability during this game round. Return this card to the Naalu player at the end of the Status Phase.

Neutral Worlds
    N - Mecatol Rex (1R, 6I)
    N - Arinam (Industrial, 1R, 2I)
    N - Arnor (Industrial, 2R, 1I)
    N - Bereg (Hazardous, 3R, 1I)
    N - Centauri (Cultural, 1R, 3I)
    N - Coorneeq (Cultural, 1R, 2I)
    N - Dal Bootha (Cultural, 0R, 2I)
    N - Gral (Industrial, 1R, 1I, B)
    N - Lirta IV (Hazardous, 2R, 3I)
    N - Lodor (Cultural, 3R, 1I)
    N - Lor (Industrial, 1R, 2I)
    N - Meer (Hazardous, 0R, 4I, R)
    N - Mehar Xull (Hazardous, 1R, 3I, R)
    N - Mellon (Cultural, 0R, 2I)
    N - New Albion (Industrial, 1R, 1I, G)
    N - Quann (Cultural, 2R, 1I)
    N - Qucen'n (Industrial, 1R, 2I)
    N - Rarron (Cultural, 0R, 3I)
    N - Resculon (Cultural, 2R, 0I)
    N - Saudor (Industrial, 2R, 2I)
    N - Starpoint (Hazardous, 3R, 1I)
    N - Tar'mann (Industrial, 1R, 1I, G)
    N - Tequ'ran (Hazardous, 2R, 0I)
    N - Thibah (Industrial, 1R, 1I, B)
    N - Torkan (Cultural, 0R, 3I)
    N - Vefut II (Hazardous, 2R, 2I)
    N - Wellon (Industrial, 1R, 2I, Y)
    N - Xxehan (Cultural, 1R, 1I)
    N - Zohbat (Hazardous, 3R, 1I)

Order of Play
    The Winnu (@discrider)
    Universities of Jol-Nar (Ketar)
    The Ghosts of Creuss (A Half Eaten Oreo)
    Nekro Virus (Phyphor)
    Federation of Sol (MrBody)
    The Naalu Collective (38thDoe)

All players will now select one Strategy Card in order, starting from the Speaker.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    Tech
    Not sure if these colours are different
    @Ketar

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Leadership

@A Half Eaten Oreo

Warfare

@Phyphor

Awwwww. Nekro and Jol-Nar aren't neighbors. No setting up cultural exchange programs :(

Awwwww. Nekro and Jol-Nar aren't neighbors. No setting up cultural exchange programs :(

When you account for wormholes I can exchange culturally with everyone!

I will take trade

@MrBody

edited May 2020
    Politics

@38thDoe

Remaining: diplomacy, construction, imperial

MrBody on
    Oof the joys of last pick.

38thDoE on steam

1st round last pick is rough. At least next round you can probably make dip do something

I haven't seen new diplo. I assume it's better in round 1.

Diplo requires sequencing with usually warfare or tech, or multiple shipyards. It's easy to be forced into doing nothing with it at the start

Eg
    You move. Warfare moves. Tech moves
    You build. Warfare fires for a double move. Tech fires
    Dip is wasted

You move. Warfare moves. Tech moves
    You build. Warfare builds. Tech fires
    You ???. Warfare fires for a double build

This works if you are a double move start race, but not if you are a single move one without burning a CC

Well, you could also use Diplomacy to refresh the worlds you take on your first action, then use them for a larger build or other spending. And you can always try to negotiate with other players for favorable sequencing. But I should probably try to limit the amount of non-administrative influence I have on the game.

@38thDoe, have you made a decision on your strategy card pick yet?

4463rwiq7r47.png
    I'll take construction I guess.

38thDoE on steam