As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I suppose that's the most logically consistent answer. The first monster to go does everything relating to elements, and the rest of the group either benefits or not depending.

I would interpret that to mean that Night Demons put N curses into their deck, where N is their count. As Fry noted, since the entire group benefits from consuming an element, the entire group should suffer in the reverse.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    The trees have been taken back! Huzzah!

New party comp for next week will be Angry Face, Music Note, Triforce, Cragheart

Working out my starting gear for Angry Face, and I am seriously considering a few shop items that I had previously thought of as useless.

Spoilers for Angry Face and Prosperity 5 shop items:
    Hooked Chain doesn't seem great in general - two hands is kinda crippling, because there are a lot of great items that use one or more hands. Might pick it up at some point, because the range 4/5 attacks I will frequently be using could well have decent opportunities to get baddies into traps (some of which I might even be laying for them)

Ring of Haste is competing for pouch slots with stamina and healing potions, and gaining a bottom action doesn't seem that generally impactful for most of the classes I've seen so far. I'm going to try it as a starting item for Doomstalker, to help reload a Doom at a key moment. Or help me sprint ahead to swipe a treasure chest, ha ha :P

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Working out my starting gear for Angry Face, and I am seriously considering a few shop items that I had previously thought of as useless.

Spoilers for Angry Face and Prosperity 5 shop items:
    Hooked Chain doesn't seem great in general - two hands is kinda crippling, because there are a lot of great items that use one or more hands. Might pick it up at some point, because the range 4/5 attacks I will frequently be using could well have decent opportunities to get baddies into traps (some of which I might even be laying for them)

Ring of Haste is competing for pouch slots with stamina and healing potions, and gaining a bottom action doesn't seem that generally impactful for most of the classes I've seen so far. I'm going to try it as a starting item for Doomstalker, to help reload a Doom at a key moment. Or help me sprint ahead to swipe a treasure chest, ha ha :P

Agreed on the first item. By Prosperity 5 there should be plenty of ways to generate that effect. Plus, between push and pull, push is usually more valuable. All the trap triggering of pull plus the potential to prevent monster attacks from melee monsters (Versus giving Disadvantage to ranged attackers who may or may not be able to move away)

Interestingly, I found out that the creator considers stamina potions so OP that he reduced the card count of each tier by one. (Ie, minor stamina only gives one card back.)

edited May 2020
    Stamina potions are mega good. Beyond getting an extra turn or two before exhausting, it's just so good to always be able to pick up the exact right card for your next turn, and/or pick up your best reusable attacks to use over and over. I got crazy value out of using the Scoundrel's Stiletto Storm, and for the other Scoundrel build, reusing Long Con just breaks entire rooms.

I have been playing with nerfed stamina potions, and they're still amazing.

Fry on
  • Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Stamina potions are mega good. Beyond getting an extra turn or two before exhausting, it's just so good to always be able to pick up the exact right card for your next turn, and/or pick up your best reusable attacks to use over and over. I got crazy value out of using the Scoundrel's Stiletto Storm, and for the other Scoundrel build, reusing Long Con just breaks entire rooms.

I have been playing with nerfed stamina potions, and they're still amazing.

Yeah we're using the "updated" form of 1 less card recovered, and almost everyone is still using them.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Are major and minor the same in the nerf, or is the minor also nerfed?

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Are major and minor the same in the nerf, or is the minor also nerfed?

They're both one card less, so Minor recovers 1 card, and Major recovers 2 cards, instead of 2 and 3.

edited May 2020
    Scenario 72. Another guest scenario. Another incredibly bad design. Did Isaac just let them put whatever they want in? This is the kind of crap design I expect out of a newbie game designer.
    We see several of Gloomhaven's worst design aspects all competing for top dog here. Infinite spawners for monsters that themselves indefinitely spawn. Flying mobs that dispense multiple curses a round. Monsters with persistent shield. The incredible swing that is the lack of any timing mechanism for monster supers. 15 monsters in a single room with no gating possible.

If you rephrase this as a boss battle you can really see how badly balanced this is. Its a boss battle with 3 x C X (L+2) health, spread across three rooms, that spawns a 13 point shield 1 attack 4 elite every round...and starts in a single room with 15 monsters already out.

Add to this shields and curses to reduce player tempo, and you have a crap scenario.

If someone introduced me to Gloomhaven with this scenario, I'd never play it again.

Really feeling frustrated that my groups are hitting the bottom of the barrel scenarios in close proximity.

Edit: We were so annoyed by the Grove that we stayed late for another scenario. Did #59, part of a personal quest. A much better scenario.
    The curses from fairies are much more manageable when dealing with bears and hounds. The obstacles and terrain were laid out in an interesting manner. I'll ding it a little bit for back-loading a bunch of monsters into the final room, a pattern that the game seems to repeatedly fall into, but I'll still give it a solid B+.

gavindel on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Wife and I are still plugging along. I unlocked Two Minis and then 3 games later she unlocked Squiggly Face. I'll need to get a shot of Two Mini, but here's what I'm doing paint wise with Squiggles

Please meet, The Adventurer Formerly Known as Teddy.

Not my best paint work but meh.

I kept the clothes the same color scheme as her previous character (R.I.P. Teddy the Doomstalker) since that's what would be, uhh, left of them.

l0lrfam62j61.jpg
    iukbt67hto4w.jpg

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    Scenario 72. Another guest scenario. Another incredibly bad design. Did Isaac just let them put whatever they want in? This is the kind of crap design I expect out of a newbie game designer.
    We see several of Gloomhaven's worst design aspects all competing for top dog here. Infinite spawners for monsters that themselves indefinitely spawn. Flying mobs that dispense multiple curses a round. Monsters with persistent shield. The incredible swing that is the lack of any timing mechanism for monster supers. 15 monsters in a single room with no gating possible.

If you rephrase this as a boss battle you can really see how badly balanced this is. Its a boss battle with 3 x C X (L+2) health, spread across three rooms, that spawns a 13 point shield 1 attack 4 elite every round...and starts in a single room with 15 monsters already out.

Add to this shields and curses to reduce player tempo, and you have a crap scenario.

If someone introduced me to Gloomhaven with this scenario, I'd never play it again.

Really feeling frustrated that my groups are hitting the bottom of the barrel scenarios in close proximity.

Edit: We were so annoyed by the Grove that we stayed late for another scenario. Did #59, part of a personal quest. A much better scenario.
    The curses from fairies are much more manageable when dealing with bears and hounds. The obstacles and terrain were laid out in an interesting manner. I'll ding it a little bit for back-loading a bunch of monsters into the final room, a pattern that the game seems to repeatedly fall into, but I'll still give it a solid B+.

IIRC 72 is one of the worst scenarios, if not the actual worst. And the fact that it gates off background story information means that just about every group runs into it, which multiplies the problem.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    gavindel wrote: »

IIRC 72 is one of the worst scenarios, if not the actual worst. And the fact that it gates off background story information means that just about every group runs into it, which multiplies the problem.

We did it Saturday, actually.
    It's not great, and our Music Notes character took probably the most damage they ever have in the first turn.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

We did that scenario a while back. It was pretty average difficulty for our party of four. It's another scenario that doesn't scale correctly with number of players, again due to enemy limits. We cleaned out all the non-replicating enemies very quickly, and then it was just a matter of correctly handling what was left. But for a party of two or three, getting to component limit on an enemy type would have been crippling. Hopefully that's fixed for Frosthaven. Maybe institute a scaling component limit for those types of enemies. Imagine if there was a rule that said Living Bones or Oozes are limited to 4/6/8/10 for 1/2/3/4 players, instead of limit 10 for everybody.

edited May 2020
    Wife and I are still plugging along. I unlocked Two Minis and then 3 games later she unlocked Squiggly Face. I'll need to get a shot of Two Mini, but here's what I'm doing paint wise with Squiggles

Please meet, The Adventurer Formerly Known as Teddy.

Not my best paint work but meh.

I kept the clothes the same color scheme as her previous character (R.I.P. Teddy the Doomstalker) since that's what would be, uhh, left of them.

l0lrfam62j61.jpg
    iukbt67hto4w.jpg

Yay squiggly face bros! This was mine and it made me happy.
    hSgYOfK.jpg

Darkewolfe on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    We did that scenario a while back. It was pretty average difficulty for our party of four. It's another scenario that doesn't scale correctly with number of players, again due to enemy limits. We cleaned out all the non-replicating enemies very quickly, and then it was just a matter of correctly handling what was left. But for a party of two or three, getting to component limit on an enemy type would have been crippling. Hopefully that's fixed for Frosthaven. Maybe institute a scaling component limit for those types of enemies. Imagine if there was a rule that said Living Bones or Oozes are limited to 4/6/8/10 for 1/2/3/4 players, instead of limit 10 for everybody.

Yeah, it was very doable once we fully appreciated what we'd gotten ourselves into. I don't mind the fight-at-the-front setup for some scenarios as much as the respawns.

Middara has component-limited monsters and ones that drop loot for the pack, not individually. Both things it does right, as opposed to the several others it does less well.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    The Frosthaven kickstarter has challenge coins as add ons. Doesn't add to gameplay of course, but I kinda wanna get a set of 4 for each game and award them to players as they progress. Maybe even make a house rule you can trade in your coin to fully revive your character from exhaustion. And in true challenge coin fashion, other party members may challenge you for it.

Just a silly idea.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    Angry Face rules question:
    Can I stick a Doom on things other than monsters? The card text says "place your character token on any one enemy." I can't locate a definition of "enemy" in the rulebook. Some scenarios have targets that need to be slain that aren't monsters, such as the next scenario we are doing, scenario number

edited May 2020
    Can I stick a Doom on things other than monsters? The card text says "place your character token on any one enemy." I can't locate a definition of "enemy" in the rulebook. Some scenarios have targets that need to be slain that aren't monsters, such as the next scenario we are doing, scenario number
    I no longer remember if I had a Word of Isaac reason for it but when I was Doom-ing I always assumed you could only Doom monsters, not objects. Bosses, however, are fair game if I remember what's in the scenario you mentioned.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I no longer remember if I had a Word of Isaac reason for it but when I was Doom-ing I always assumed you could only Doom monsters, not objects. Bosses, however, are fair game if I remember what's in the scenario you mentioned.
    Just remember: Bosses are neither normal nor elite.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular

Paraphrased from the official FAQ thread on BGG (I think it's spoiler free?) : Obstacles (even obstacles with hit points) are not monsters, and cannot be afflicted with negative conditions, force-moved, or
    Doomed

antherem wrote: »

Paraphrased from the official FAQ thread on BGG (I think it's spoiler free?) : Obstacles (even obstacles with hit points) are not monsters, and cannot be afflicted with negative conditions, force-moved, or
    Doomed

Ah ok, that linked FAQ has a note on the scenario in question, which clears it up for me. That note was not in the other versions of the "official" FAQ I was looking at. :X
    That version of the FAQ says that the things in the scenario count as obstacles, and the Angry Face notes in that FAQ version say that obstacles can't be doomed.

Also re scenario 72:
    fuck oozes, just the worst thing. they might be OK in a computer moderated setup but they are so goddamned fiddly in cardboard

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    A possible solution to enemy spawns: spawns can't themselves spawn. Mark them with summoning tokens or something

Holy smokes, reusable top action Loot 1 is nuts. Last scenario, I only got 4 xp, but I scooped up 13 loot tokens.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    If you are a fan of looking ahead you should check out the level 8 cards for Angry Face. There is one that I think you will find particularly interesting. I got a lot of dirty looks the first map I used it on.

Gnizmo wrote: »
    If you are a fan of looking ahead you should check out the level 8 cards for Angry Face. There is one that I think you will find particularly interesting. I got a lot of dirty looks the first map I used it on.

Is that the one that's a strict upgrade to a level 1 card?

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Yup. I tried not to be too bad with it, but my personal quest required a lot of gold. So once I was ready to move on from my character I made sure the rest of the team was ready for Angry Face to move on as well.

Want to make sure I'm not missing something. I don't see directions to open envelope X at a specific time yet. I assume this is something I'll know when it's time to do, and I haven't accidentally overlooked something.

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Want to make sure I'm not missing something. I don't see directions to open envelope X at a specific time yet. I assume this is something I'll know when it's time to do, and I haven't accidentally overlooked something.

Envelope X is tied to a pair of PQs.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited May 2020
    And I strongly recommend that, if you draw that PQ, just re-roll. The contents of the envelope is the worst bullshit.

X spoilers (which I wish I had read before opening the envelope):
    It's a riddle that, via both an augmented reality puzzle and looking at every single picture in the entire game to find clues with no indication that either is what you have to do, leads you to a website that will allow you to buy (except they're sold out) a new character class.

You can download the PDF of the cards and stuff, so have fun trying to get that printed to an acceptable quality.

[Expletive deleted] on
    We just finished the X personal quest today. Scenario 60.
    Two attempts. First attempt ended in a near-instant wipe when we opened the door to the first room and saw 10 snakes. The snakes proceeded to do their jump to swarm out of the room and their "+2 if you have another snake near" to drop the Two Mini bear and the Brute below scenario viability in two rounds.

We restarted and went for the long rooms first. The scenario heavily rewards jump in order to get past the inevitable glut of monsters in each doorway. A scenario-wide damage starts on round 7.

One character went off on his own into the ooze room. The oozes spawned instantly. HIm and 10 oozes in a room. We all figure we're completely screwed because this is one of the "any exhaust fails you" scenarios.

The oozes then spawned 3 more times in a row, and the scenario fire damage finished them off.

We abused the Two Mini "swap two figures" ability for the last room and won with about 10 collective health and one turn to go. I feel like a group with the Eclipse/Daggers/Mindthief would have absolutely laughed at this one. This scenario only reinforces my belief that every class needs an easy jump card, even if it costs enhancements.

As far as envelope X...
    Hahaha, no.

Seriously, no.

Just don't bother. Go look up the class and be done with it.

Dooms say "any one enemy". Does this require Line of Sight, or not? LOS rules mention that anything that has a range requires LOS, does "any one enemy" count as a range?

Dooms say "any one enemy". Does this require Line of Sight, or not? LOS rules mention that anything that has a range requires LOS, does "any one enemy" count as a range?

Anyone means any one. No range, LOS, or other requirements. Just has to be an enemy (no destructible pillars or what have you).

edited May 2020
    And I strongly recommend that, if you draw that PQ, just re-roll. The contents of the envelope is the worst bullshit.

It's a riddle that, via both an augmented reality puzzle and looking at every single picture in the entire game to find clues with no indication that either is what you have to do, leads you to a website that will allow you to buy (except they're sold out) a new character class.

You can download the PDF of the cards and stuff, so have fun trying to get that printed to an acceptable quality.

I went back and forth on whether to read this, as it's been a few times that I've seen a similar sentiment. Finally slowly read, ready to abort, and I'm glad I spoiled it.

Darkewolfe on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that envelope thing sounds like total bullshit.

Not going to read the spoiler, but I am kind of looking forward to some bullshit, because my party has had it far too easy for far too long

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    X:
    It's not even bullshit in the form of a bullshit scenario

it's just straight puzzle bullshit out of one of those shitty point and click adventure games. Not the good ones, but the bullshit ones where you have to mash everything against everything else because how you get from A to B makes no logical sense

So uh, enjoy it when you get to it I guess

Orca on
    edited May 2020
    Orca wrote: »

X:
    It's not even bullshit in the form of a bullshit scenario

it's just straight puzzle bullshit out of one of those shitty point and click adventure games. Not the good ones, but the bullshit ones where you have to mash everything against everything else because how you get from A to B makes no logical sense

So uh, enjoy it when you get to it I guess

X:
    It's also literally the only thing in the game that's not accomplished purely through scenarios and/or town/city events.

And doesn't tell you that.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Yeah, we opened X and promptly forgot about it due to a hiatus, then got to have our own discussion about how silly it is a week ago when someone asked if we had it and I went "Yep, we opened it like a year ago."

It's a neat idea with really, really poor execution.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Regarding the reward from Envelope X
    Frosthaven backers can order a copy of the reward as an addon, for whatever that's worth, which is apparently $15