As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Ooh, I suspected peanuts would be great, but I didn't end up using them! I should next time

Really easy to make, though not all that photogenic. :lol: The peppers ended up being juuuust my limit of spicy

2leba7aztvnf.png

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    Next food is "giant / baked beans" which i think at the time of proposal was sort of a winter thing? But now the weather is fairly balmy I'm just thinking of baked beans ala BBQ

Any other suggestions for preparation of beans? :D

signature.png
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Are those peanuts?

That looks delicious!

Yes, those are peanuts; I guess between the peanut and lime, the BA mushroom recipe was going for a Thai style.

Anyway, I think it's neat to look back on all the dishes I made and evaluate whether I'd make them again or not, and what it's led to me cooking. Kind of a "oh, here's what I've learned" kind of thing.
    • Shakshuka: Tasty, but kind of heavy on the prep and also an excessive amount of bell pepper and tomato for uh... proper digestion... later on. Probably not a remake, but Huevos Rancheros or eggs in sauce are things I'm thinking about.
    • Jiaozi: Individually easy to make and tasty, but a lot of effort. Food to bring to a party, but not much else.
    • Boeuf (mushroom) Bourguignon: Very good, not too bad to make. I enjoyed the hyper-buttery potatoes almost as much as I enjoyed the mushroom. It was also very good re-microwaved, making it a dish I might revisit later just for meal prep.
    • Crusty Bread: I didn't really do this one, but I did like the Socca frybread I made instead, and I went from there to making Bannock, so a very solid week in terms of getting me easy snack/meal sized foods.
    • Fish Stew: I had absolutely no problem making this and it was very tasty. I need to make it more often.
    • Root Vegetables: This was a solid dish and a good way to use a bunch of root vegetables, but I wasn't hugely impressed by it and it was a lot of prep. I think if I happened to have a lot of veggies lying around, a big casserole of them would be more appealing, but I'm mostly buying staples + food for the weekly cook club so this isn't really an option for me.
    • Risotto: Very good, will absolutely purchase ingredients to make this again as a normal dish. Cheese keeps it more microwavable than most rice dishes, too, so it works for lunch.
    • French Onion Soup: High effort but extremely tasty. This is definitely my "what I'll cook when at home to add to the big holiday feast" dish.
    • Arancini: The only dish that I think the first batch really completely failed, but only because I didn't properly gauge stickiness. Much like the Jioazi it'll probably be mostly for parties, but it's a little easier and I think the lemon + aromatics I put into it kicked it over the top so I'll probably have it as a "staple" for parties.

I ate an engineer
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    nonono can we keep beans?

It's getting cold down here. lol.

I mean, we can do whatever.

We're keeping beans! It's a very broad topic, I'm just fishing for some recipe recs.

I'll get this up first thing tomorrow

signature.png
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Here is one I found that seems interesting because it's real getting down to basics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXqoyt4vsPA

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Recipes are up! I tried to propose a pretty wide range, but of course, please suggest others!

signature.png
    It begins.

H05DPuTl.jpg

I've deamed it "fuck it, beans"

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Is that a hunk of turmeric root at 8:30?

The orange thing?
    That's a habanero my dude. These beans are going to kick!

Whooooa that's impressive. Hmm, maybe I should get started on my pintos. Couldn't find gigantes

signature.png
    Doodmann wrote: »
    The orange thing?
    That's a habanero my dude. These beans are going to kick!

niiiiice

edited May 2020
    BEANS!!! (It's basically chili)

BwFKhyLg.jpg

Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/jY2G3ML

I'm definitely going to make this again / regularly. It was very easy.

Doodmann on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I didn’t really eat beans very often as a kid; it just wasn’t something that my parents cooked for me regularly. But I have memories of eating beans with cut-up hot dogs in it at my Nan’s house. So behold! The best beans ever:

F6pumIz.jpg

I had to buy a pack of wieners just for this, but screw it. If I’m eating beans, it’s going to be Nan’s way. I more or less used this recipe but used hot dogs instead of bacon. It’s probably better with bacon but I don’t care about that. The molasses makes it sweet and delicious. Perfect with toast.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I think I’ll do beans tomorrow.

Brown some diced chorizo, set aside. Bung some roughly chopped onions in the same pan, get them to a good state. Add finely chopped garlic, let that hang out for a bit. Add beans (kidney and maybe some black, we’ll see), chicken stock (scrape the bottom of the pan), spices (cumin, chili, ???)/salt/pepper. Simmer. Mash it a bit – let about half the beans be intact. Add some red lentils, simmer until they’re cooked and everything has thickened. Add the chorizo back in, simmer for 5 minutes. If any fresh herbs caught my eye while shopping for this, in they go before serving. Or whatever, based on what I find tomorrow.

Beans for dinner!?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I gotta find my dad's amazing baked beans recipe see if I can make a half batch

Taya wrote: »
    I didn’t really eat beans very often as a kid; it just wasn’t something that my parents cooked for me regularly. But I have memories of eating beans with cut-up hot dogs in it at my Nan’s house. So behold! The best beans ever:

F6pumIz.jpg

I had to buy a pack of wieners just for this, but screw it. If I’m eating beans, it’s going to be Nan’s way. I more or less used this recipe but used hot dogs instead of bacon. It’s probably better with bacon but I don’t care about that. The molasses makes it sweet and delicious. Perfect with toast.

god that looks like it hits the spot

I was just reminded that we have loads of fresh rosemary, so my above beans?! "recipe" now includes fresh rosemary, and because it goes well together, rather than just chicken stock we're going chicken stock and tomato, and will finish with some heavy cream. Beans!

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    BEES?!

Beads?!

BEEPS

Taya, those beans look like a nostalgia trip <3

Also Doodman, how spicy did it all end up being? :D

...This is my first time with dried beans. Case in point, I forgot to soak them last night, so... this has been pushed to tomorrow. Time to gauge how flavourful they are in comparison to canned!

signature.png
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm planning to cook ribs for Memorial Day and a side of bbq beans sounds excellent. I think I only have black beans in the pantry though so I may seek inspiration south of the border for my beans.

SilverWind wrote: »
    BEEPS

Taya, those beans look like a nostalgia trip <3

Also Doodman, how spicy did it all end up being? :D

...This is my first time with dried beans. Case in point, I forgot to soak them last night, so... this has been pushed to tomorrow. Time to gauge how flavourful they are in comparison to canned!

They had a little kick but not too much, I think the slow cook mellowed them out.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Beans, beans, the musical fruit, the more you eat, the more you COOK CLUB FUCK YEAH
    asbuz7ne7q7p.png
    That's some homemade german-style pork and venison sausage in that ziploc right there.
    c5lwkznyw4bu.png
    WOO!

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
    drjvjb1n7ygv.png

I did the frijoles charros. In an effort to increase my spice tolerance I included the ribs and seeds of the single jalapeno I used. :P It was good! It's probably my first time using dried instead of canned beans, and it tastes... a lot better? Hum

New recipes up momentarily :D

signature.png
    Pizza recipes are up. I mostly focused on different crusts because... most people know what they like on a pizza, right? I assume? :lol:

Please give me your topping recs! The last few times I just made margherita pizzas.

Also, if anyone has suggestions for food weeks after ice cream and pesto, please send them my way!

signature.png
    I made Too Much Beans

I ate an engineer
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I made Too Much Beans

I don't understand.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I made baked beans today, and I totally forgot to take a picture before we dove into them. Delicious though. Baked for an hour and a half the topped with bacon and cooked another hour.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hot dogs and fancy baked beans were my birthday dinner of choice for like, A While in my life. Unfortunately after a few weeks of "fuck it comfort food" I'm back on my vegetarian/one carb/one protein meal a day BS so no pizza for me...

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    edited May 2020
    20200524_195712.jpg

20200524_205338.jpg

20200524_205740.jpg

Beans and Bannock! Beaaaaaaaans. It was mostly following the simple maple baked beans recipe, but doubled for a pound of navy and a pound of pinto beans. Added some bay leaves while cooking, some chili powder, chopped the onion up so it stayed in the end product, and added a little maple vinegar to it for some extra zing

milski on
    I ate an engineer
    I made beans again today:

less brown sugar
    thai chilis instead of habanero / jalapeno
    a wedge of cured lemon
    bacon instead of ham hock

I'm excited to see how it goes.

edited May 2020
    I really should buy a bunch more dried beans. They really were fantastic.

Going to make my pizza dough tonight! Going to go with the KAF sourdough/commercial yeast hybrid. Last time all sourdough ended up a bit... peculiar

Scratch that I'mma try the all sourdough again

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Heads up, the hamhock works way better than bacon.

Pizza dough is in the fridge and waiting for tomorrow afternoon.

Claire from Bon Appetit released a home version of her Gourmet Makes pop tarts and... I kinda want to try it for a week? What does everyone think?

signature.png
    Personally, I like the Cook Club for introducing me to either new dishes I can easily make, or portions of dishes/variations I can easily adapt to cook for either myself or for others. I also like it for allowing me to pull from recipes ranging from simple to complicated and mix-and-match them to make a dish, e.g. I usually take the simple variation of the most complex ingredients or sides and pull seasonings and cooking techniques from a more complicated recipe.

I don't feel I really get that from Pop Tarts, though I wouldn't be opposed to a general dessert/pastry week that included homemade pop-tarts as one of the options. If we were including adult versions of treats we had as a kid, we could even put in like, Rice Krispy Treats and cookies and brownies as options.

I ate an engineer
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    How about something with a lot of levels to it? Something that a basic version of is basically impossible to fuck up, but has room for tons of room for elevation. I'd like to vote for...meatloaf.

Ah, it helps to know what people like, thank you! :D Also... I don't know if I've ever had an elevated meatloaf. But perhaps that should be reason to try it!

signature.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i would love to do a pop tarts thing, but i should be doing that just on my own.

i've been meaning to for a while.

I need to get out of my cooking rut. but i'm so over cooking.

I need to find a good beans idea again for last week.