As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Look at you, [chat]ter

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    its true, our air and water are very different from your Earth air and water

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    c o c a i n e
    o
    c
    a
    i
    n
    e

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Nah that's Snowflame.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Skippy im still watching but he just placed the 3s and this is a delight

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Frank Oliver was born in Sydney, Australia. As a young man, he studied kangaroos in his native Australia. Oliver lived, ate and traveled with the kangaroos, developing a leaping ability that rivaled the animals he studied. Seeing an opportunity to make money, Oliver decided to parlay his new-found leaping abilities into a boxing career.

Ah yes leaping, the most important skill for a boxer to have.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I just started watching Devs

I thought this was a comedy but it is a weird near future drama?

I'm into it so far anyway

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

Sell me on it you bakunin radical

sig.gif
  • Options

I'm like 10 mins in, I'll sell it when I'm done this episode

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Frank Oliver was born in Sydney, Australia. As a young man, he studied kangaroos in his native Australia. Oliver lived, ate and traveled with the kangaroos, developing a leaping ability that rivaled the animals he studied. Seeing an opportunity to make money, Oliver decided to parlay his new-found leaping abilities into a boxing career.

Ah yes leaping, the most important skill for a boxer to have.

nfO2f3b.jpg

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Australian Rules Boxing, I guess

Where you jump for some reason

• Options
    Better than Tyson vs. Holyfield. Bell rings and a guy immediately jumps 10 feet in the air and dropkicks the shit out of the other guy.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

I'm like 10 mins in, I'll sell it when I'm done this episode

Hmmm

@Powerpuppies

This show is like a super well-shot mystery/thriller sci-fi thing about Silicon Valley and if they discovered something metaphysically huge, and it led to someone's murder to keep control of it

It has, like, the visual and acoustic aesthetic of Hannibal without the gore and less surreality

I think they've mostly told us what's going on in the first episode but I'm very interested in the details

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    thank you for your pitch

I'll put it in the hopper and get back to you in 3-4 business days

sig.gif
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    navgoose wrote: »
    This big sink envy
    ha!

lo5ru7n6izfy.jpg

I knew you had big sink energy

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I forgot to check if I had my tables and formulae collection for chemistry. I don't. I can look up any ISO screw you want but not chemistry.

Probably not an issue for my chemistry exam in two hours.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Puppy woke me up 8 times tonight. Eight.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I forgot to check if I had my tables and formulae collection for chemistry. I don't. I can look up any ISO screw you want but not chemistry.

Probably not an issue for my chemistry exam in two hours.

Acid + base = M8 self tappper

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Hannibal the show had such a strong style

after a while it kind of got too much for me and I dropped off it but I respect the strong style

also, the food. Eating people never seemed more appetizing.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I thought my quarantine cooking would be all about big fancy shit but really it has ended up being the same stuff I always cook, but taking more time with it and trying to get the cook and presentation just right. Salmon under the broiler and a caprese.

d0j74ahsukzi.jpg

Going all in on comfort food like these smashed potatoes with black truffle and manchego, which fry for a while then finish in the oven.
    yvbmcpee4vrh.jpg

Discovering just how over the top your quesadilla can go before the police come and arrest you (spent a night behind bars for this one)
    ign82ru7nter.jpg

And of course, cookie
    bty5k7wy712e.jpg

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    cookie?!?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Puppy woke me up 8 times tonight. Eight.

@Powerpuppies is a demanding lover

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    I did make a big ole sunday gravy with ground beef, onion, garlic, tomatoes, and everything. Plus meatballs. That was the sort of labor intensive thing I'd never normally do I guess. But all the photos of that are bad and I have too much respect for that sauce to shove out some grainy dark spycam footage of it.

• Options
    My phone's photo roll is maybe 30% cookie.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I’m playing codenames but I have to poop. I took a picture of the board and told my teammate to text me my clue if I’m not back in time. Modern problems require modern solutions.

• Options
    Oh okay I'm on episode 2 and maybe they didn't tell us everything in episode 1

Devs spoilers
    it's the reverse of Foundation — they can reconstruct the past through analysis of the present state of... everything?

And they used it to see... the crucifixion of Christ?

This is my guess.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I refuse to plate my food because I am 125% bachelorchow mode.

This is the best my plating has ever been, and that's because it turns out mushroom larb is a salad that is impossible to make look bad.

wtmO4qMr.jpg

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I did make a big ole sunday gravy with ground beef, onion, garlic, tomatoes, and everything. Plus meatballs. That was the sort of labor intensive thing I'd never normally do I guess. But all the photos of that are bad and I have too much respect for that sauce to shove out some grainy dark spycam footage of it.

gravy and meatballs probably aren't, in this case, as close to kjøttkaker i brun saus as I think it is, but it still made me want to take some time and make it from scratch, soon. Maybe tomorrow.

I haven't spent enough time enjoying cooking.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    When I cook salmon under the broiler, I always use aluminum foil to line the sheet pan, rub the fish with salt, pepper, and olive oil, and use nonstick baking spray under the filet for good measure. The goal is to get the skin on the underside, which fries and crisps under the extreme heat, to release without tearing. The triple nonstick measure is sometimes not enough but when it works, it's magnificent. The thing releases all in one piece with some gorgeous maillard action underneath. That skin, which is usually not so great, suddenly becomes the best part of the fish.

• Options

gravy and meatballs probably aren't, in this case, as close to kjøttkaker i brun saus as I think it is, but it still made me want to take some time and make it from scratch, soon. Maybe tomorrow.

"sunday gravy" is just what crazy italian americans call a slow cooked meat based red tomato sauce

• Options
    fish cooking methods where the skin becomes the most delicious part are all vastly superior to the methods where it's something to be discarded

not really because of the skin itself, it's just a correlation

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I love the shit out of a crispy fish skin

I usually pan fry em

• Options
    edited May 2020

"sunday gravy" is just what crazy italian americans call a slow cooked meat based red tomato sauce

okay so it's not really a gravy either?

but also yeah I figured from the ingredients list. Brun saus is brown sauce, essentially, browned becamel with beef stock.

329860.jpg
    EDIT: this is not how it is served it's just a slightly overly fancy food photography thing of the process.

also, as far as I understand it, as a category, a gravy is a sauce made from the meat drippings, yes?

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I have not cooked fish in over ten years

Maybe I should do it

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »
    I love the shit out of a crispy fish skin

I usually pan fry em

what's good for the skin is good for the rest of the fish too

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I have not cooked fish in over ten years

Maybe I should do it

my parents have become big on a fish stock based risotto as a side to fish

it's super fucking good

I don't cook fish for myself p much ever and I really should

let's both start having a fish day each week

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I don't even know where I'd go to buy fish

Wait there's a fish wholesaler a block away

Hmm

• Options
    I am not exactly certain why I've ended up focusing on the broiler for salmon cooking instead of a pan fry. I think that the pan fry you could probably get the skin really nice and poach the rest in butter or something. But there's just something about that extreme, direct heat of the broiler that turns the outside of the salmon deep orange, while the inside doesn't overcook.

I think part of it is that one of my all time favorite recipes tops the salmon with slices of pitted oil cured olives. Under the broiler, the olives totally fry to a dry perfection, and become these crispy, I don't want to make it sound unappealing, but they become this like lucky-charm-marshmallow-textured crunchy meringue of intense olive flavor, and then all the curing salt and oil ends up in the fish and, man, I don't think you can achieve it any other way.

I like that cook on salmon so much that I do it anyway when not making that recipe.

• Options

Hmm

fun fact: contrary to what you hear on youtube cooking videos, grocery stores carry edible if not very ok meat and fish!

• Options

Hmm

fun fact: contrary to what you hear on youtube cooking videos, grocery stores carry edible if not very ok meat and fish!

My local grocery store does not carry fish, sadly

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    When you see only one set of footprints in the sand you can tell that store carried fish

PSN: Honkalot
This discussion has been closed.