As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Natural Disasters] redux: Fires, Hurricanes, Floods, and everything else

MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
edited September 2020 in Debate and/or Discourse
Just because the world is going through a pandemic doesn't mean storms and earthquakes stop. The old disaster thread is dead, but everyone lives in a place that can experience some kind of disaster like fire or flood (or both alternating). Most posters on these boards live in the northern hemisphere, which means hurricane/typhoon season is starting soon, and predictions are that it'll be another above-average year.

This thread is for:

1) Discussing disasters as they happen.
2) Talk about aftermath of disasters
3) Preparation for disasters
4) Some disasters even if technically manmade, like if some idiot starts a wildfire that burns down a town, or a dam collapses in a flood though technically it's because the company didn't maintain the dam. I'm not exceptionally pedantic about this so long as people respect the spirit of the rule.

This thread is not for:
1) US Primary discussions
2) Just coronavirus/SARS2/COVID-19 discussions - there will be some overlap since responses will be affected by the pandemic, but there's two entire separate threads for just that.

Mayabird on

• Options
    Vanuatu was just hit by the second-strongest cyclone ever to affect it, Cyclone Harold, which was Category 5 equivalent when it made landfall on Espiritu Santo, the largest island in the chain, causing major damage. Earlier while the storm was intensifying a Solomon Island ferry boat passed under the storm, moving residents due to the starting SARS2 lockdown in the Solomon Islands. Twenty seven people were thrown overboard and are presumed dead. Harold is currently lashing Fiji right now, bringing heavy rains and strong winds, and it will continue to pass towards Tonga afterward.

• Options
    Fiji and Tonga both sustained hits from Cyclone Harold, though news is slow to get out.

In Africa, there's a new plague that is causing worries of mass famine: locusts. Swarms of locusts the likes of which haven't been seen for decades, flying across east Africa and eating everything they come across. SARS2 lockdowns are making things worse, since people can't gather to try to deal with the locusts and international shipping declines and manufacturing means nations can't even get the insecticides that could put a major dent in the numbers. The infestations could spread for months, and millions could be in danger of starvation.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I am concerned that after Maria, and with the attitude that a pandemic is a state problem, that federal involvement in disaster preperation and recovery is going to be thrust back on states, especially those that Trump has issues with (ie, a Sandy devastating the NorthEast).

I mean, if a pandemic is something states should have been prepared for, surely hurricanes are too.

But then again, it's mostly red states (and Florida which some still insist is purple) that are hit hardest by hurricanes, so I expect him to default to hypocrisy, and then get pissy if called on it.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    I am concerned that after Maria, and with the attitude that a pandemic is a state problem, that federal involvement in disaster preperation and recovery is going to be thrust back on states, especially those that Trump has issues with (ie, a Sandy devastating the NorthEast).

I mean, if a pandemic is something states should have been prepared for, surely hurricanes are too.

But then again, it's mostly red states (and Florida which some still insist is purple) that are hit hardest by hurricanes, so I expect him to default to hypocrisy, and then get pissy if called on it.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmediaassets.wptv.com%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F08%2F28%2Fwptv-early-voting-party-affiliation_1535487278232_95934344_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

We are purple.

Also, we still haven't gotten all promised aid from Irma, much less Maria, down here. Federal support is meaningless under Trump.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Ehh... too offtopic. Deleted.

MorganV on
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmediaassets.wptv.com%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F08%2F28%2Fwptv-early-voting-party-affiliation_1535487278232_95934344_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

We are purple.

Also, we still haven't gotten all promised aid from Irma, much less Maria, down here. Federal support is meaningless under Trump.

I'm still disappointed St Pete couldn't push Pinellas to blue, but with as young as that city is starting to lean I'm hopeful we'll get there either this election or next.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »

We are purple.

I'm still disappointed St Pete couldn't push Pinellas to blue, but with as young as that city is starting to lean I'm hopeful we'll get there either this election or next.

Same with Seminole.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Fiji and Tonga both sustained hits from Cyclone Harold, though news is slow to get out.

In Africa, there's a new plague that is causing worries of mass famine: locusts. Swarms of locusts the likes of which haven't been seen for decades, flying across east Africa and eating everything they come across. SARS2 lockdowns are making things worse, since people can't gather to try to deal with the locusts and international shipping declines and manufacturing means nations can't even get the insecticides that could put a major dent in the numbers. The infestations could spread for months, and millions could be in danger of starvation.

As bad as the locusts are, I wonder if some enterprising entomologist will be able to study it, as I’m still curious how we managed to wipe them out in North America and I’m curious if they might see a resurgence here as well

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    The primary hypothesis is that the laying grounds of the Rocky Mountain locust were plowed up accidentally by new farmers. Ground was broken at several different locations hypothesized to be where their eggcases would have been deposited just after the last swarms in North America had vanished but before the locust went extinct.

Anyway, I'm surprised no one is talking about the giant storm system that crossed the southeast US the last couple days. At least 32 fatalities, mostly from the tornado outbreak, and at least 51 tornadoes across ten states, of which two might have been EF-5.

Or the wildfires in the forests around Chernobyl. You know, those radioactive forests in the exclusion zone, where the trees and everything else are full of radiation. They're on fire right now, releasing all that radiation into the atmosphere, because it's 2020 so why not have a radioactive wildfire on top of the global pandemic? Also the wildfires have been raging uncontrolled for days and are now a mere 5 km from the abandoned nuclear power plant.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Is Siberia still on fire too

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Had a terrible storm system blow through the South East last night and early this morning. Dropped a ton of trees and power lines. Spawned at least 2 tornadoes, F2 and F3, just in my area of the woods in upstate SC. It went from upper 50's to low 70's in the span of about 3 hours, after the sun set. That was incredibly strange.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Is Siberia still on fire too

Yes, because high ranking local officials are setting them. Over 80% of all wildfires are caused by humans, often deliberately, and this extends to Russia as well.

• Options
    Two weeks before the official start of the Atlantic hurricane season, and we have tropical storm Arthur already. This bodes well. This storm won't do much but cause some rip tides on the beaches (which people shouldn't be crowded on anyway*)

In the Bay of Bengal also, Cyclone Amphan has also developed. Unlike Arthur, this one could be a grave threat to a lot of people, as it is expected to intensify to at least Category 3 equivalent but conditions are perfect for rapid intensification, and all models indicate that this cyclone is going to head for Bangladesh, a country that's both very crowded and very vulnerable to flooding. Combine that with the pandemic, the usual rise of disease after such disasters, and the poverty of the country, and this is a disaster in the making.

*I mean, they probably will be, but I can't extend the slightest iota of pity towards any idiot who was partying on the beach when they shouldn't be during the pandemic and then gets sucked out to sea because of tropical weather. That's a twofer of stupidity.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Cyclone Amphan is now the strongest storm ever recorded in the Bay of Bengal, and it will cause a lot of misery in the very near future as it heads due north straight into Bangladesh

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/19/asia/super-cyclone-amphan-india-banglash-intl-hnk/index.html

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    Cyclone Amphan is now the strongest storm ever recorded in the Bay of Bengal, and it will cause a lot of misery in the very near future as it heads due north straight into Bangladesh

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/19/asia/super-cyclone-amphan-india-banglash-intl-hnk/index.html

Worsened by the fact that the rest of the world is currently pre-occupied. Sure, some countries will still send relief, but not as many, and not as much, meaning that like we saw with the Puerto Rico aftermath, the misery will be compounded.

• Options
    A couple days ago, Cyclone Amphan made landfall. Surveys of the damage are still ongoing, but it is terrible. Large parts of the Indian and Bangladeshi coast were hit by a 5 m storm surge and flooding in Kolkata is widespread. Over a hundred people already are known to have died and two entire districts of Kolkata (home to 15 million) may need to be rebuilt from scratch. Millions are cut off from electricity and clean water, hundreds of thousands have lost their homes, and all this on top of the ongoing pandemic and what MorganV already said.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    While it doesn't appear to have caused any major damage anywhere, there was a noticable earthquake here in NZ this morning, felt across most of the country. This wouldn't ordinarily be particularly notable, since we do kind of get them all the time, however, in this case, the PM happened to be giving a live interview at the time:

https://youtu.be/Da0KoMrh_5E

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Tropical Storm Bertha formed and hit South Carolina.

On its own, no big deal. A lot of rain and a little wind, already a tropical depression and fading away. Just, that's already two tropical systems and the Atlantic hurricane season doesn't officially start for another five days.

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    With climate change and better detection technology Atlantic Hurricane Season should really start on May 1.

This would also light a fire under the ass of people on the gulf and east coasts as many do not start preparing until hurricane season officially starts.

• Options
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    With climate change and better detection technology Atlantic Hurricane Season should really start on May 1.

This would also light a fire under the ass of people on the gulf and east coasts as many do not start preparing until hurricane season officially starts.

The fl Sales tax holiday for it starts may 29th, so yeah - they're not even encouraging starting earlier.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    On top of all the other problems in India, now there are locust swarms across seven Indian states, the worst locust plague in 26 years. This is a separate locust plague from the one destroying crops across east Africa that I'd already mentioned. India is also in the midst of yet another nasty, record-setting pre-monsoon heat wave. Plus, you know, the pandemic.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    On top of all the other problems in India, now there are locust swarms across seven Indian states, the worst locust plague in 26 years. This is a separate locust plague from the one destroying crops across east Africa that I'd already mentioned. India is also in the midst of yet another nasty, record-setting pre-monsoon heat wave. Plus, you know, the pandemic.

Don't forget the massive hurricane that just rocked Kolkata.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Fucking locusts sense weakness or something. Goddamn.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I wonder if there's some causal link between a relative lack of human activity or specific human activity and more grasshoppers.

Edit: Actually, do they usually take measures to control grasshopper populations to avoid locust swarming that has been hampered by the various recent events?

Cause I mean you know that'd do it.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    BigJoeM wrote: »

Just got an alert there's a third one on the way.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/weather/cristobal-atlantic-tropical-forecast-weekend/index.html

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Don't forget the massive hurricane that just rocked Kolkata.

Not disasters per se but there's also the opposing armies massing at the Chinese border and plagues of monkeys cut off from tourists to steal food from getting aggressive with locals. Just... Kind of a scary time to live in India, I guess.

• Options
    There's a second Ebola outbreak in Congo now centered on the city of Mbandaka, population 1.5 million. So that's on top of the Kivu epidemic that has been ongoing since August 2018 (the second largest Ebola epidemic on record), the measles epidemic (the largest in the world) that has killed even more, and, you know, the worldwide coronavirus pandemic. Mbandaka was actually on lockdown to stop the spread of SARS2.

It's a scary time to live anywhere.

• Options
    BTW happy second official day of the Atlantic hurricane system - we're already reached C. After flooding the Yucatan peninsula over the next few days, Cristobal is expected to turn north. If you live on the Gulf Coast, keep an eye on these developments over the next few days. Even if the tropical storm falls apart it will still be an enormous slug of moisture that could cause major storms and flooding.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    There's a second Ebola outbreak in Congo now centered on the city of Mbandaka, population 1.5 million. So that's on top of the Kivu epidemic that has been ongoing since August 2018 (the second largest Ebola epidemic on record), the measles epidemic (the largest in the world) that has killed even more, and, you know, the worldwide coronavirus pandemic. Mbandaka was actually on lockdown to stop the spread of SARS2.

It's a scary time to live anywhere.

Cripes, COVID-19 hitting someone whose just had their immune system's memory wiped by measles is not something I want to consider.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Speaking of everything sucking in India, Mumbai just got hit by a cyclone. This is not a common occurance; the last cyclone to hit Mumbai was back in 1948. That's on top of the previous cyclone (Cyclone Amphan is already listed as the costliest cyclone ever in the Indian Ocean) and the locusts and the heat wave and the goddamn worldwide pandemic.

Speaking of tropical storm Cristobal, it's semi-stalled out by the Yucatan Peninsula and is dumping heavy rain across southern Mexico and well into Central America. Almost half a meter of rain (for American types, that's measuring rainfall in feet) has fallen across many areas, and once it finally turns north as predicted all that moisture is headed for the US. Everybody on the Gulf Coast, keep watch.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So less natural disaster and more natural phenomenon, but it impacts natural disasters.

Major Saharan dust plume is coming across the Atlantic, and can be viewed by sattelite.

https://www.kcra.com/article/here-are-the-top-three-ways-this-weeks-saharan-dust-plume-will-affect-you/32925591

This air is extremely dry, and should reduce hurricane production for a bit.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Here
    We
    Go

x4g9oxqk2qww.jpg

Hurricane Hanna about to hit south Texas then into Mexico.

I don't think major damage is expected right now from this one.

aiyhsfauni7f.png

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Good luck Texas.

Over in the Pacific, I've got Hurricane Douglas bearing down tomorrow. So that's fun.

I am so over 2020.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Douglas passed most of Hawaii, getting just enough of a northerly nudge to miss everything so far. Still has to pass Kauai but that won't be for a few hours.

A pretty fascinating hurricane otherwise. Managed to retain category 1 force winds pretty much along the whole island chain. Wind shear usually does a number on hurricanes when they are close to the islands, but it was being fueled enough by the warmer coastal waters to maintain strength.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Radar of the pass. Pretty close, and I'm sure for some north facing areas it was like a decent storm. But! still a miss.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Closest approach of a hurricane to Oahu since they started keeping records, glad it was just a category 1. Some people don't take it too seriously though.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I'm really glad that mostly worked out for Hawaii.

My in-laws in Corpus Christi, TX, also mostly got through things unscathed; just lost power for a bit.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Heads up to Florida.

27xi0w2f1wq8.png

It looks like there's a lot of uncertainty in the track of this one, and it might even get knocked down by passing over the Dominican Republic and Cuba, but keep an eye on it

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Oh, hey, Alabama is in that path!

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    Heads up to Florida.

27xi0w2f1wq8.png

It looks like there's a lot of uncertainty in the track of this one, and it might even get knocked down by passing over the Dominican Republic and Cuba, but keep an eye on it

Unlikely to be anything much more than a rainmaker with TS winds (<50mph) thankfully, and it's about 50/50 as to whether it goes gulf (bad) or east coast (great).

96058.png?1619393207