As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Bread] Thread! A Thread all about Bread!

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    my best scraper is still the low-grade one I got from a restaurant supply store in college.

I also have an Oxo one which works okay but I don't really need a scraper blade to be that sharp.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    my best scraper is still the low-grade one I got from a restaurant supply store in college.

I also have an Oxo one which works okay but I don't really need a scraper blade to be that sharp.

The reason I tossed my old cheap scraper when I picked up an Oxo is because the cheap one gradually warped in the middle and became useless for scraping flour off the counter.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also, covering your hands in water is generally a good trick to working with wet doughs. Wet hands and quick folds = small mess

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ohoh. Guess who found bread flour

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I made my first boule in a while and sort of winged it; mostly-no-knead, baked in a dutch oven, bread and whole-wheat flour. It tasted fine but the oven spring was pretty sad - the slices looked like biscotti. I think I have to go back to basics for a few loaves until I get my groove back.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I just bought myself a dough scraper from a bread youtuber because his videos helped me fix my bread problems and I needed one anyway. It's surprising how much easier that little bit of plastic makes things.

The channel is called Bake With Jack btw for any bread noobs like me, I think he's really good.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    This is my latest loaf, there are some definite issues, like I didn’t score the bread deep enough so it didn’t split well. My other question is that I throw it into a boulè and I think there is decent tension, but when I pop it in the fridge it always just pancakes down, is that just what happens if you don’t have a banneton? And if you don’t have good tension after forming what do you do?

1ab8skhlcx92.jpeg

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    https://youtu.be/ww78_SfGyQE

https://youtu.be/d5Yqi7uu8s8

I like this channel cos he addresses basically every question I think of

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    I just bought myself a dough scraper from a bread youtuber because his videos helped me fix my bread problems and I needed one anyway. It's surprising how much easier that little bit of plastic makes things.

The channel is called Bake With Jack btw for any bread noobs like me, I think he's really good.

this is the my goto channel, his recipes are very good and allow for alot of screwups but still getting a good product. He's been the most tolerable instruction I've found, especially for me since I work in restaurants. He just gets to the point. I use his cobb loaf recipe, beginners sour dough method and also his yeast risen white loaf. they are my no mess no fuss recipes that really turn out.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Neat!

Iron fortified flour with static electricity maybe?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Nah that's just regular static electricity.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    ur regular static electricity

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

don't dox me plz

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Holy shit Bowen you can’t just call someone static electricity

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so my dough for this current loaf of sourdough is much stickier than I remember the others being. but i've been using the same ratios.

main thing that I did differently was i mixed in some AP flour with the bread flour. I wonder if that could be it.

Oh well it's about to go into the 4th stretch and fold and then into the fridge overnight

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Nah that's just regular static electricity.

Yeah, static charges attract oppositely charged things and lighter neutral things, when the charged object (let’s just say it’s negatively charged it doesn’t really matter) passes over the neutral object, it repels it’s like charge in the neutral object to the far side of the object, which means the close side become oppositely charged and then attracts itself to the charged object.

KalTorak wrote: »
    I made my first boule in a while and sort of winged it; mostly-no-knead, baked in a dutch oven, bread and whole-wheat flour. It tasted fine but the oven spring was pretty sad - the slices looked like biscotti. I think I have to go back to basics for a few loaves until I get my groove back.

Back-to-basics loaf was more successful
    UBn71SY.jpg?1
    Same-day loaf instead of no-knead this time, AP instead of fancier flours, folllowed the Serious Eats recipe to the letter (except for halving the amounts). The only issue I have with it is something that also occurred with the previous loaf - the bottom of the loaf has a thin layer that's just burnt black. It's baked in a preheated enameled Dutch Oven with a parchment paper sling to get it in easier, and while you expect the bottom to be the darkest, I'd rather not burn it. Anyone know how to avoid this? I cut 7-8 minutes off the baking time because I could smell it burning (the internal temperature was done anyway); should I just shorten the baking time more? I was thinking about setting the Dutch Oven on a pizza stone to try and regulate the heat coming from the bottom, but I was sort of expecting the big iron Dutch Oven to already be doing that.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The rest of the loaf looks perfect honestly. I'd probably just accept the burn on the bottom and scrape it off. The alternative is to preheat your dutch oven a few degrees less, check for results, and then keep adjusting until you get where you want.

Also how much flour did you have between your dough and the parchment paper? It's possible if you use more raw flour as a barrier between the two, that burns instead of the bread, and should dust right off the finished product.

Ooh, good call re the flour, I didn't think of that. I usually don't put flour or cornmeal etc. under the dough because with the parchment I don't have to slide it around or worry about it sticking. I'll try that next time, thanks.

In the meantime, I'll just sand off the bottom layer a bit with the cheese grater

How long did you bake it for?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ok so.

Bannetons.

will they help my boule retain it's shape in the fridge overnight? Because I'm getting frustrated about getting a gorgeous smooth skin and then losing it overnight in the fridge.

• Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    As mentioned in the cooking thread I've decided to join the bandwagon and start a sourdough starter. Well I attempted a loaf yesterday. I didn't hold out much hope - I've only got plain flour rather than strong flour and I combined two different recipes rather than simply following one.

One recipe reckoned on a three hour first prove and the other five! I stuck with the shorter prove as it fit in nicely around a work meeting but it hadn't risen much. Similar with the second prove, I did two hours and a half rather than the 4-8 specified as I wanted to go to bed.

I haven't got a banneton so I went with a floured tea towel and glass bowl. It stuck a bit but the bit left on the tea towel peeled off nicely and made a wee dumpling that I chucked in with the loaf. From reading it sounds like moar flour on the towel is the way forward and rather than clean it like I have I should just scrape off any stuck dough each time and flour again and keep the towel in a bag and it'll get better each time I use it.

Anyway, it is more faff than my normal bread and definitely more faff than my beer bread but it was the best loaf of bread i've made. Ever!

et2tbewgo57t.jpg

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Awesome, you can probably let it go a bit longer uncovered with that color.

ok so.

Bannetons.

will they help my boule retain it's shape in the fridge overnight? Because I'm getting frustrated about getting a gorgeous smooth skin and then losing it overnight in the fridge.

I’ve bought a set off amazon. They’re from over seas though (cause I’m cheap) so I’m not going to get them until next month.

• Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    schuss wrote: »
    Awesome, you can probably let it go a bit longer uncovered with that color.

It was just baked on the baking tray so uncovered the entire time. Did the first half hour on the tray and then five minutes just on the wire shelf. Smelt like it was starting to scorch so whipped it out the but bottom wasn't that done. Think the smell was the loose flour cooking off.Still it came out lovely and fresh from the oven was amazing.

Personally I wouldn't want it much more done. I don't like an overly crusty crust.

In half an hour I'll be able to tell you how well it kept overnight.

Ashaman42 on
    ok so.

Bannetons.

Yes, they will help shape it. You'll get some crust on that skin, though, because they allow air exchange, which is actually good! A little crust developing pre-baking is how you get a super crunchy crust.

For my latest adventure in bread deformity - got distracted while putting my rye loaf in the oven and forgot to slash it. Now it has a goitre.

gehsz8rthgkg.jpg

but otherwise I'm very happy with the rise and colour (I also forgot to add cocoa to get that deep brown. next time).

ok so.

Bannetons.

Yes, they will help shape it. You'll get some crust on that skin, though, because they allow air exchange, which is actually good! A little crust developing pre-baking is how you get a super crunchy crust.

hmm. i don't really want a super crunchy crust, as my pallette is a delicate flower that screams in agony at rice krispies. only slightly exagerating.

and I've been doing ok with the crust left from the craggy non-boule perfect loaves I've been doing so far, although they are more discus shaped than round.

Maybe i'll just leave well enough alone for the moment.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    For my latest adventure in bread deformity - got distracted while putting my rye loaf in the oven and forgot to slash it. Now it has a goitre.

gehsz8rthgkg.jpg

but otherwise I'm very happy with the rise and colour (I also forgot to add cocoa to get that deep brown. next time).

?

qfyufkabtemo.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    ok so.

Bannetons.

hmm. i don't really want a super crunchy crust, as my pallette is a delicate flower that screams in agony at rice krispies. only slightly exagerating.

and I've been doing ok with the crust left from the craggy non-boule perfect loaves I've been doing so far, although they are more discus shaped than round.

Maybe i'll just leave well enough alone for the moment.

If you leave the lid on your Dutch oven, that will keep it steamy and stop it from becoming overly crunchy.

crumb: nailed

06lov4bcuoau.jpg

could use more salt, I thought the ratio looked a little suspect.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    So I made some edits to my white Pullman loaf, the dough was smaller and the cooking time hotter and longer and holy shit this is the best sandwich bread I've ever eaten.

It's soft and light but fucking buttery delicious.

Also yesterday I was picking up some dried fruit from a bulk foods store, and there was a little sign saying they had sourdough 3 days a week. So I asked the guy if he sold starter. He looked like nobody had ever asked before. Thought about it for a second, then went and got me 100g of starter in a little container and said "uuuuuh, 2 bucks?"

So now I have a proven active starter.

#pipe wrote: »
    So I made some edits to my white Pullman loaf, the dough was smaller and the cooking time hotter and longer and holy shit this is the best sandwich bread I've ever eaten.

Also yesterday I was picking up some dried fruit from a bulk foods store, and there was a little sign saying they had sourdough 3 days a week. So I asked the guy if he sold starter. He looked like nobody had ever asked before. Thought about it for a second, then went and got me 100g of starter in a little container and said "uuuuuh, 2 bucks?"

I saw at the local store they were selling it for eight bucks a tub. And I mean, I get that it takes time to make starter (I did it myself) but it was like 30 cents of flour, and I’m just like, man, what a rip off.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

What recipe are you working with? I've tried a couple of pullman-specific recipes, but they both ended up denser and more crumbly than I'd prefer.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I've actually Frankenstein'd together a couple of different recipes. A Japanese milk bread recipe and a sourdough recipe designs to make a specific sized dough. Because the Pullman pan prevents the bread from doming, it's super important to get the right weight of dough otherwise it comes out gross and dense and doughy.

Here's the recipe I wrote down, this makes a 1100g dough.
    9g yeast
    50g water
    10g sugar

563g flour
    200g water
    125g milk
    63g butter
    30g sugar
    13g salt

Bloom yeast in 50g water and 10g sugar. This 50 and 10g is inclusive of total amounts of water and sugar.

Dump flour, sugar, salt into bowl of mixer. Stir with paddle until well combined.
    Add water and milk and mix until combined. Rest 30 minutes.

After 30 mins add yeast mixture. Mix together with dough hook. When well mixed add room temp butter a cube at a time until each cube disappears.

When mixed and smooth, proof for ~90 minutes until doubled. Punch down, divide dough into 4, roll out, fold and roll each quarter. Lightly spray pan, line up each roll in pan, spirals to the sides. Proof in pan with lid on until dough rises about an inch from the lid. ~40 mins

Bake at 425 for 35 mins
    Remove lid, bake at 375 for another 10 mins

Remove from pan and cool on a rack

edited May 2020
    Blake T wrote: »

I saw at the local store they were selling it for eight bucks a tub. And I mean, I get that it takes time to make starter (I did it myself) but it was like 30 cents of flour, and I’m just like, man, what a rip off.

Someone on a podcast was complaining they had gone through 7kg of flour trying to keep a starter alive and I’m like man what are you doing to that poor thing

She also complained it was wasteful because you have to throw so much of the starter away as you feed it and again, make pancakes, use it as preferment for a not-quite sourdough, Christ woman you don’t have to chuck all of it. I was starting to wish it was radio so I could call in and yell at her,

tynic on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also you can fridge it to keep feedings down to every week or two.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Also you can fridge it to keep feedings down to every week or two.

Yeah exactly! Ugh I was so frustrated with this person.