As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Poll [Chat]

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    But Wolverine is Canadian

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    UzCFvod.jpg

Zavian on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Thats how he heals so fast all that socialized medcine

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    fzKodTM.jpg

I can't imagine Wolverine has any income worth writing home about tho

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    fzKodTM.jpg

Hasn't he done a lot of mercenary work early in his life? With compounding interest for over a century maybe?

Like, it wouldn't take a ton in his early life for this to be real bad now.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Yeah but reoccurring amnesia. Even if he's saved up he doesn't know where the cash is half the time

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    UzCFvod.jpg

Depends on how long... ummm... Yeti Man? is living there, I'd say

Where does he spends the majority of his time?

I know that if he met the residency test for the UK (and you can be a resident without being a citizen), he'd be liable to UK tax on his worldwide income, subject to double taxation agreements

If he weren't resident in the UK, but still made money over here, he'd just be liable to UK tax on that income

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    syndalis wrote: »
    fzKodTM.jpg

Hasn't he done a lot of mercenary work early in his life? With compounding interest for over a century maybe?

Like, it wouldn't take a ton in his early life for this to be real bad now.
    Wolverine is a Canadian Veteran living in the US and a senior citizen. His income is earned through a Canadian NGO. The statute of limitations on tax debt is 10 years. So it's probably not that bad.

zepherin on
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    snip

He gets that sweet Avengers paycheck
    exMOtKN.jpg

You establish the market value of the food then tax that value, obviously

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Okay, is this an entire issue/one-shot about taxes?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Athenor wrote: »

And if so, where can I buy it?

Except that food is a business expense and those meals are work related. And let an IRS auditor go have a talk with the hulk.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    43_Z1lyLf2o2rR2F83UhtPTs5Gg8uRDtaqk31kZujOY.jpg?auto=webp&s=c4a4ffe53cb5b096b55a40b8154abab7366c4c8a

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It's wild that Americans have to pay taxes to America no matter where they live

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    So after some time with my Wacom I've made two decisions:

1. I absolutely cannot do the "look at screen and draw on tablet" thing, so I'll be returning the tablet
    2. I am absolutely getting back into this, as drawing for 6 hours felt like nothing and I loved it

My anatomy is rusty and my line confidence is shit right now, but I think I can do this with a few months of practice.

So I've got an iPad Pro on order right now, since similar Wacoms are like $600 more without the good resolution or color accuracy. @Evil Multifarious

jungleroomx on
    edited May 2020
    Athenor wrote: »

And if so, where can I buy it?

Marvel Adventures: The Avengers #32. It’s on Marvel Unlimited, and yes, it’s all about the Avengers owing taxes and turning into debt collectors to avoid paying them by beating up super villains who owe back taxes
    5YZN24F.jpg

Zavian on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Freedom ain't free, commie.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Freedom Isn't Free.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    There is a foreign income exclusion of $107,600. So don't feel too bad for us Americans. Military contractors make bank on that if they are out of country the majority of time in places like Afghanistan which has a 10% tax rate.

zepherin wrote: »
    Except that food is a business expense and those meals are work related. And let an IRS auditor go have a talk with the hulk.

The food can be a business expense the same way that wages are - it's still taxable

You don't eat to work, you eat to live - if you're receiving food as recognition of your work, even if it's a muffin basket for getting That Big Johnson Account (heh), then it's a taxable benefit

Normally the occasional treat isn't worth declaring, and there are exceptions like gifts on your birthday, but if it's over the de minimis limit, then that food is taxable

(Disclaimer: UK rules, doesn't constitute advice, etc)

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    All this tax talk is getting us off track from the important issue

Down with Maggie

edited May 2020

The food can be a business expense the same way that wages are - it's still taxable

You don't eat to work, you eat to live - if you're receiving food as recognition of your work, even if it's a muffin basket for getting That Big Johnson Account (heh), then it's a taxable benefit

Normally the occasional treat isn't worth declaring, and there are exceptions like gifts on your birthday, but if it's over the de minimis limit, then that food is taxable

(Disclaimer: UK rules, doesn't constitute advice, etc)
    Actually there is an exemption in US Tax law for it. It's why Amazon, Google and facebook have cafeterias and those meals aren't part of the gross income of the employees.

Section 2120(c) of Pub. L. 94–455 provided that: ‘‘The amendments made by this section [amending this section and section 362 of this title] apply to contributions made after January 31, 1976.’’
    § 119. Meals or lodging furnished for the convenience of the employer
    (a) Meals and lodging furnished to employee, his spouse, and his dependents, pursuant to employment
    There shall be excluded from gross income of an employee the value of any meals or lodging furnished to him, his spouse, or any of his dependents by or on behalf of his employer for the
    convenience of the employer, but only if—
    (1) in the case of meals, the meals are furnished on the business premises of the employer, or
    (2) in the case of lodging, the employee is required to accept such lodging on the business premises of his employer as a condition of his employment.

zepherin on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

1. I absolutely cannot do the "look at screen and draw on tablet" thing, so I'll be returning the tablet
    2. I am absolutely getting back into this, as drawing for 6 hours felt like nothing and I loved it

My anatomy is rusty and my line confidence is shit right now, but I think I can do this with a few months of practice.

So I've got an iPad Pro on order right now, since similar Wacoms are like $600 more without the good resolution or color accuracy. @Evil Multifarious

Oh you were using a Wacom? Those are tough, yeah

I think the iPad Pro with Procreate is the best drawing tool for anyone who doesn't have stringent professional needs. I use a Surface Pro, which is also excellent, but the iPad is even better

Down with Maggie
    Are we trying to get down with Dame Maggie Smith or Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Either way. I'm putting a baby in there.

A Bowen chat

God help us all

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Oh you were using a Wacom? Those are tough, yeah

I think the iPad Pro with Procreate is the best drawing tool for anyone who doesn't have stringent professional needs. I use a Surface Pro, which is also excellent, but the iPad is even better

Yeah that's the route I'm going. I have no real professional needs and don't need to collaborate with Photoshop so I feel like this, combined with the 3d poseable model software for reference, is going to be quite good.

Down with Maggie

With a pickup line that smooth I don’t see how you could fail

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    A Bowen chat

God help us all

My hand was forced.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

Down with Maggie

With a pickup line that smooth I don’t see how you could fail
    My wife describes us getting married as a war of attrition she lost.

Interesting, thank you

There is an exemption carved out for cafeterias in UK tax law, as well (Section 317 ITEPA 2003 / section 60 FA 2010), but:
    • The meal must be on a reasonable scale
    • All employees may obtain a free or subsidised meal
    • The dining area is for staff use only
    • The meals are not provided as part of salary sacrifice arrangements

It's the salary sacrifice that will ding The Hulk here, if he's accepting food instead of his Avengers wage, unless all Avengers are under the same arrangement and there's no opt-out available

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Seriously cannot wait until I can get an iPad Pro so I can mess around with Procreate and note-taking with the pencil.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    corny comic panels have such an awful mouth feel. I prefer my hulk as a barely contained rage beast, not a silly goof eating his peenut butta fwom da jah.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Hulk appears to beating peanut butter out of a 55-gallon drum.

What if the Avengers classify him as livestock, can they write off a portion of the feed bill?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    So that was uncomfortable

Work is having the "who do we bring off furlough, and when" discussion because we have a backlog piling up

Which means the issue that some people who have been furloughed are/would be net negatives in productivity terms has been thrown into sharp relief

If The Hulk was livestock then he would be a capital asset of the firm, and his feed would be a revenue expense for his maintenance

Good luck explaining that to The Hulk as the reason he doesn't have to pay taxes, though

Deebaser wrote: »
    corny comic panels have such an awful mouth feel. I prefer my hulk as a barely contained rage beast, not a silly goof eating his peenut butta fwom da jah.

f3Gcm9F.jpg

japan wrote: »
    So that was uncomfortable

Work is having the "who do we bring off furlough, and when" discussion because we have a backlog piling up

Which means the issue that some people who have been furloughed are/would be net negatives in productivity terms has been thrown into sharp relief
    Yeah. This a prelude conversation to a layoff for hose who are "net negatives." That is a super uncomfortable convo. I've been on those calls when we a contract expires and the govt doesn't plan on putting another in its place.

This discussion has been closed.