As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Take care. Listen to health authorities.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I'm in Alberta which is starting to reopen as of yesterday, owner of my company just sent out an email basically saying "working from home's been going good and our office lease is up in a couple months anyway so rather than renewing we're just going permanent work from home"

I've been enjoying wfh so I am stoked

As someone who sells office furnishings for a living, this is the biggest fear of my industry ....

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping WFH sticks around. Not because I want to, I don't, and I'm not right now, but because it's so much quieter around the office and that's super nice.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »
    finnith wrote: »
    I just don't think it was necessary for the Snowbirds to be flying in support of healthcare of workers or whatever. Is the morale boost really worth it?

What morale boost ? It's not as if the flyovers are that noticeable in general. Of all the stupid ideas to import from the US, it's the least stupid right now, but it's still pointless.

I suspect a bunch of performances were all planned ages ago just as part of their regular routine and "For the Covids" was added on afterwards.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    They would not have stopped flying practices anyways so whatever they were flying in support of is irrelevant. You don't ground elite pilots and equipment for months.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Yeah they're going to be flying. Maybe some stuff got moved around, but it's not like the planes spend all their time grounded otherwise

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Premier Ford announced just now that Ontario's school won't open in June. Lots of places screwed out of half a year's schooling, but in Ontario the rotating strikes were already occurring before the pandemic, last year. A lot of people lost an entire year's worth of education.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Rumor has it that here in NB we'll be moving to the next phase of the pandemic on Friday. If that's the case life will be basically returning to the new normal.
    I'm both looking forward to it and am incredibly apprehensive at the same time.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I wonder if the other option was to run schools through summer vacation to make up for the lost time. Welcome to the real world you little buggers!

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Premier Ford announced just now that Ontario's school won't open in June. Lots of places screwed out of half a year's schooling, but in Ontario the rotating strikes were already occurring before the pandemic, last year. A lot of people lost an entire year's worth of education.

Glad to hear that they're not re-opening the schools for 3 whole weeks in June, when we're still very slowly coming down in terms of number of cases. We'd already decided not to send our daughter back if they did re-open. Even September feels tenuous at the moment, though we're so far from there who knows what the state of things will be.

I still can't believe Legault's saying Montreal schools will re-open on May 25th.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

Is there any word on summer camps and stuff? I was assuming the school year was going to be cancelled but we have not signed the kids up for any sort of camps. This is turning out to be a weird ass year and potentially one VERY long summer.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Has he said what they're going to do? Are they going to cram all that learning into the remaining time, or go into the summer?

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Burlington did just cancel all summer events, so cities are doing their own thing preemptively. A CBC article from 9 hours ago talks about how camps have no clue, and are 'planning for the potential to be open'. So they're like everyone else: wait and see.

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Saw an article on the CBC stating that overnight day camps are cancelled.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-coronavirus-ontario-may-19-school-year-update-1.5574966
    Indoor/Outdoor day camps MAY be allowed to operate in July/August, depending on general pandemic factors.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    In BC, a lot of talk I'm hearing about the partial re-opening of schools here in June is that it's basically a way to try to figure out how to do things in September when kids may come back full time.

:so_raven:
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Summer camps are still go here but there is scrambling to figure out how many people and what kind of activities.
    Most outdoor camps are totally fine but indoor stuff like swimming or crafts or whatever is probably gonna be cut back.

• TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    Rumor has it that here in NB we'll be moving to the next phase of the pandemic on Friday. If that's the case life will be basically returning to the new normal.

NB and PEI appear to be Covid-19 free at the moment, as all recorded cases have recovered. I don't think they had much in the way of community spread, though.

teriferin#1625
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Teriferin wrote: »

NB and PEI appear to be Covid-19 free at the moment, as all recorded cases have recovered. I don't think they had much in the way of community spread, though.

Yup, that is correct. We're lucky too in that the population is pretty widely spread out.

I'm just hoping it lasts and that we keep the borders to Quebec and NS closed - which seems to be the plan until August anyway.

Teachers got ordered back to work for June 1st here, though students are done for the year.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yay? I guess?

Also, this fucking threw me for a loop.

(Carly Robinson is a City News journalist)

As far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with Brandt as a person, which might make him a unique Kenney appointee, but he also brings nothing but the clout of a celebrity whose heyday is past and a general enthusiasm to the task (though he founded and remains involved in an anti-human-trafficking organization, #NotInMyCity, and I suppose that might count as expertise).

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah, sure, whatever.

God, this province, sometimes pretty much all the time.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    It still blows my mind how everyone, everywhere around the world, reports the number of positive tests without reporting the total number of tests. It's a meaningless metric without context. 2 positive cases out of 200,000 tests administered is a different situation from 2 postiive cases out of 2 tests administered.

sig.gif
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I will say, Alberta's reporting on testing has been great, some of the best I've seen worldwide:

https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-19-alberta-statistics.htm

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I think BC's doing something in the vicinity of 1800 tests per day right now, so two positive cases is really good.

The thing that weirds me out the most is the places that play with or otherwise actively conceal test numbers bcause they're worried a lot of tests look bad or something. Georgia decided a few days ago that about two hundred thousand tests just retroactively never happened in the state, apparently because the "governor" wanted a 1:1 test:case ratio or something.

Granted governments whose responses to public health crises consist of "suppress this information lest we lose the mandate of heaven" are never going to make sense to me, so...

Richy wrote: »
    It still blows my mind how everyone, everywhere around the world, reports the number of positive tests without reporting the total number of tests. It's a meaningless metric without context. 2 positive cases out of 200,000 tests administered is a different situation from 2 postiive cases out of 2 tests administered.

I have a tweet for that:

:so_raven:
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/andrew-scheer-walks-back-us-pledge-1.5576006
    CBC wrote:
    Scheer says he won't renounce U.S. citizenship because he won't be prime minister

This is entirely expected. Scheer has been covering him self with something these past few weeks with respect to how he is responding to COVID-19, and it certainly isn't rose-scented water. The response I've seen among Conservatives I know is that they are happy he is on his way out and that he doesn't speak for them.

I kinda figured that'd be the case, between Scheer being a lying liar lyingpants who lies in a bed of lies on the one hand and US citizenship renunciation being a drawn-out pain in the ass on the other. It wasn't going to happen during the span of an electoral campaign no matter what.

My main annoyance at that coming up again is having to put up with a bunch of people around me going on about the inherent awfulness of dual citizens for however long it takes for the story to fade. I love when people kneejerk themselves into deciding I'm not really welcome here, much as they'll dance around admitting that's their stance.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Yeah, I didn't have an issue with the dual citizenship, it was more his constant and ongoing hypocrisy on the matter.

I do have some Opinions about the fact that he was sitting on that while spending several years fighting to prevent about a million of us from getting our full citizenship rights reinstated after his party stripped them away, yeah.

• InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    I will say, Alberta's reporting on testing has been great, some of the best I've seen worldwide:

Not really. They are still doing limited testing, it’s just now you have to be lucky caller 6 to get your free test. People I know have had symptoms EXCEPT the fever and the government has told them to sit at home for the quarantine period and then return to work. You can still be contagious without symptoms.

Invectivus wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »

Not really. They are still doing limited testing, it’s just now you have to be lucky caller 6 to get your free test. People I know have had symptoms EXCEPT the fever and the government has told them to sit at home for the quarantine period and then return to work. You can still be contagious without symptoms.

That has changed.... Had a test last week because I had body aches. Test done the same day 2 x days for the negative result.

The criteria depend where you are located as well.

Disco11 wrote: »

The ethical oil argument never held water. It was propaganda.

Unfortunately it means it's not dead. Propaganda doesn't need to reflect reality to live.

sig.gif
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    The culture around face coverings is changing, good.

steam_sig.png
    The culture around face coverings is changing, good.

It's weird to be in line at a liquor store with a few other masked individuals...

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Unfortunately it means it's not dead. Propaganda doesn't need to reflect reality to live.

The ethical oil argument is silly no matter which way you look at it because I'm not sure how any oil could meet those ethical standards.

shryke wrote: »

The ethical oil argument is silly no matter which way you look at it because I'm not sure how any oil could meet those ethical standards.

They are pushing the "blood diamonds" line of thinking

shryke wrote: »

They are pushing the "blood diamonds" line of thinking

And saying that leaving a polluted environment and bankrupted economy as a legacy to the next generation is not an ethical concern.

sig.gif