As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Plant thread! Was thinking about putting up a shelf for plants in our bathroom. It's got a big East facing window so will get some direct lighting. Wondering if there's some plants you guys recommend? Or is this a dumb thing with the extra humidity? In Maryland so it will get fairly humid during the summer.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Just let me know when y'all get tired of Cactus Watch 2020

jlawu1m62a5x.jpg

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I think, though I could be talking out my arse, that plants which have a dormant/active cycle in the wild benefit from having that simulated indoors. So if there's a cooler part of your home you could maybe move it to for a few months and then reduce watering, it might make it happy? But as I said, that could be nonsense.

Hmm interesting. My whole place is pretty climate controlled because I am THAT aircon bitch. And I doubt a desert plant is going to love our baseline 90% humidity all day every day if I stick it outside. I'll contemplate how else I could replicate this.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I have fully given up on my mango plant.

Any suggestions for a tree/plant that I can put next to my east facing bedroom window to create shade?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    oh hey plants thread, I have never clicked on this before but I've been taking advantage of the free time to plant some cactus and aloe seeds

got one seedling of each sprouting already, ahead of schedule for what the seed packets warned me it might take, but here's hoping the rest aren't too far behind

unfortunately both seedlings are so tiny they're a little hard to photograph at the moment, but baby photos shall come along soon

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    There has been a minor explosion in my alpine trough

xo2sd0wlvdr7.jpg

Whatever the thing on the right is, it is not interested in social distancing

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I harvested my first broccoli the other night!

It was stringy a bit and only like a third the size of store bought. My cauliflower have all turned magenta ish? Apparently you're meant to cover the heads with the leaves as soon as they appear so sad to protect them from getting weird colour. Injured your trying to grow purple.

My Brussels are all doing nothing. But my capsicums are producing still and I think my lemons are about to turn yellow.

No limes though. Which is sad.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Yeah cauliflower heads don't like the sun

Also if you can get them bigger than a ping pong ball you're doing better than I ever have

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Wisteria bloomed over the weekend! It’s full of buzzing bees and smells lovely.

2020-05-11%2011.37.53.jpg

Here are some plants in the yard that have really taken off in the second year of growth:

2020-05-12%2012.46.48.jpg

Top-left: Bee’s balm continues to grow back super thick and should look even more spectacular than it did last year! Think it got a solid boost from the lack of a fence (which the neighbors are getting fixed soon and we’re paying half).

Top-right: the wild ginger I planted last year barely grew all year, then has exploded now it’s in its second year. I have more wild ginger elsewhere that I recently planted so I look forward to that doing the same next year.

Bottom-left: The lupine and wallflower are two survivors from the wildflower seeds we scattered last year. Around them are a bunch of new wildflower seedlings including lots of poppies. Hopefully this bed is a riot of colour later this year.

Bottom-right: The catmint is my biggest mint and looks pretty with all its delicate flowers.

2020-05-12%2012.47.41.jpg

Top-left: the raspberry, which had three little straggly branches last year, grew back thick and lush with some pruning.

Top-right: Figs!!!

Bottom-left: The garlic I planted last fall continues to grow well.

Bottom-right: the bleeding hearts grew back super well! I read to leave last year’s growth to fully die and that seemed to really help.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    There has been a minor explosion in my alpine trough

xo2sd0wlvdr7.jpg

Whatever the thing on the right is, it is not interested in social distancing

That’s Stonecrop (sedum)

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I'm a little concerned about this desert rose, though, not because it's dying (seems fine) but because the internet is basically like "WATER YOUR DESERT ROSE HALF THE YEAR":
    Keep soil moderately moist in spring and summer, but reduce watering in fall and especially winter when the plant is dormant. Fertilize with a dilution by half of a 20-20-20 liquid plant food once per month when the plant is actively growing. Do not feed the desert rose during winter.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Desert Rose Plant Info: Caring For Desert Rose Plants https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/desert-rose/caring-for-desert-rose-plants.htm

I live on the equator

We don't have seasons

So do I just arbitarily decide hat it's spring/summer now and keep the soil moist, then stop in six months? How the hell do I tell if it's actively growing and needs plant food? It was just blooming when I was given it about two weeks ago.

I've been reading up on fertilization and water schedules, and it seems that you generally only have to care about fertilizer when plants are actively growing (to supplant the nutrients lost in the soil - so, not required if your plant has just been planted in a rich organic mix or regular potting soil). Cacti and other plants that have fast-draining soils (especially sandy or rocky soils) cannot hold onto nutrients as well, so they're more likely to need fertilizer in general, and more likely to need it during the growing season. As for watering, I believe more water is only warranted if the plant is getting more sun, the temperature is hotter (so more water is evaporating from the plant and the soil), and/or the plant is actively growing and drinking more water to support that growth.

For a slow-growing plant, that's kinda hard to say. If absolutely nothing in the environment around the plant has changed over the year (amount of sunlight, temp and humidity levels), you can probably stick to the rare fertilization, maybe like once a season at half strength, unless you start to see nutrient deficiencies (leaves changing colors or spotting or looking Not Great compared to normal). Airconditioning reduces humidity, so that may be something you could look to address indoors if it's falling too low (there are tiny humidity monitors out there which are really accurate and stupid cheap). If it was blooming, that tends to mean it's expending energy, so if the soil looks old you might want to give it a small small amount of fertilizer. If the soil is new, don't bother. Blooming also suggests a bit more water could be helpful, but that depends again on if the water is being depleted more than normal, or more often than normal. If you were given it, might be helpful to ask the person what environment they placed it in and what their watering/feeding schedule has been like, to see if you can maintain as much of its original environment as possible. :)

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    Plant thread! Was thinking about putting up a shelf for plants in our bathroom. It's got a big East facing window so will get some direct lighting. Wondering if there's some plants you guys recommend? Or is this a dumb thing with the extra humidity? In Maryland so it will get fairly humid during the summer.

There are HELLA plants that love humidity and sun. You might have some luck trying out tropical plants, since a humid and very bright environment will mimic their natural habitat really well. If you look for any "full sun/part shade" plants, that'd be a good start. If you like bright colors, Crotons would be a great option. Some tolerate more sun than others - generally the more colorful and brightly-colored leaf varieties will want more sun and more direct sun (that's also how you get the best color out of 'em), and they loooove humidity since they're from tropical regions.

• Options
    OH MY GOD I FOUND THIS PLANT ON ETSY AND IT IS LITERALLY CALLED "PARTY TIME" AND I MUST HAVE IT

dkdooh2oe855.png

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Fuck, that's a rad plant. It's a good thing it's a house plant, because I'm always going to be compelled to bring it drinks.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Call it Wayne.

excellent

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I killed the hell out of my pothos somehow. I think it got mealy bugs or something.

Anyway I went to buy a new one but I needed a bigger pot. So then I had to buy something to go in the old pot so I picked up a ZZ plant? Which I don't know if its ZZ like ZZ Top or if I should just make a short snore sound followed by "plant".

Then I bought a corn plant.

Anyway I spent a hundo on plants today.

• Options
    Radishes!

2020-05-19%2012.52.06.jpg

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    that's rad!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I've cobbled together a box from wood scraps that I'm using for compost.

So far that has meant throwing fruits and veggies and eggshells, and wherever else seems right, in there. But now I'm wondering if I need to anything to keep it from becoming more flies than trash.

I like to ART
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    that's rad!

Eh. Ish.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I killed the hell out of my pothos somehow. I think it got mealy bugs or something.

Anyway I went to buy a new one but I needed a bigger pot. So then I had to buy something to go in the old pot so I picked up a ZZ plant? Which I don't know if its ZZ like ZZ Top or if I should just make a short snore sound followed by "plant".

Then I bought a corn plant.

Anyway I spent a hundo on plants today.

YESSS. ZZ plants are incredible. Extremely easy to care for, not even a touch of brown anywhere even if you forget to water it for a few weeks. I just separated one of mine into multiple containers to make even more zz plants.

One tip on the corn plant, because I didn't know this until I accidentally hurt it: use filtered/distilled/rain water, try not to water it with what comes directly out of your tap. Corn plants are suuuper sensitive to fluoride, they get brown tips or the leaves start to yellow from fluoride toxicity otherwise. If you HAVE to water it with tap water, I've heard you can leave a pitcher of water out for 24 hours to allow the chlorine/fluoride to evaporate off. I've never done that, but I hear it all the time so I assume it works for people!

Doodmann wrote: »

So far that has meant throwing fruits and veggies and eggshells, and wherever else seems right, in there. But now I'm wondering if I need to anything to keep it from becoming more flies than trash.

Add the flies into the compost.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    This seems like as good a place as any to ask this: does anyone know how I can identify a gentle watering can?

I have a bog-standard generic green plastic jobber with a perforated watering head, and the spray that comes out pelts my plants. Maybe it's meant to "throw" water so you can get your entire garden patch from one spot; I dunno. But my plants are all in containers, and this thing sends soil flying. At the same time, spray force isn't the kind of thing that gets discussed in watering can listings/reviews.

Misting the plants won't cut it; I'd be at it all day and have carpal tunnel syndrome within a week :razz:

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Oooh I actually have one for this!

Ones with a super narrow spout like this: LINK have a nice gentle waterflow. I'm picking one up soon for my indoor plants.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Oooh I actually have one for this!

Ones with a super narrow spout like this: LINK have a nice gentle waterflow. I'm picking one up soon for my indoor plants.

Awesome, thank you!

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Question: this pothos I bought refuses to fit into any of the planters I have thus far bought. Mainly because I'm bad at eyeballing size. It definitely needs a 10" pot but the one I ended up getting is about an inch and a half too short. So theres a bit of rooted soil sticking up.

Will it settle or be ok or do I need to make a 3rd trip to home depot and try a new pot?

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Cactus!

xv0v21ihz65n.jpg

Tree!

ky2kzgfium3j.jpg

Other tree!

w9yvwk9oq1hj.jpg

Three more trees (plus one dead tree)!

x2hi5x1qnpb6.jpg

Weeds???

jvxgev1pwfd0.jpg

Alien??

4wvr52gom0q9.jpg

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I want a lemon tree so bad.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    What, you think life is just going to give you lemons?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    You should get insurance on your lemon tree, and use it as collateral on a loan

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    I want a grapefruit tree but they seem to be minimum $100.

I like to ART
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I'm thinking of planting apple trees in my front yard... I wonder if the HOA has any rules on that?

Edit: And that lemon tree is beautiful! <3

Janson on
  • Options
    Man garden soil is expensive!

I like to ART
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    Cactus!

xv0v21ihz65n.jpg

Tree!

ky2kzgfium3j.jpg

Other tree!

w9yvwk9oq1hj.jpg

Three more trees (plus one dead tree)!

x2hi5x1qnpb6.jpg

Weeds???

jvxgev1pwfd0.jpg

Alien??

4wvr52gom0q9.jpg

That’s no weed! That’s a geranium regrowing from previous years’ woody growth

Heh, woody growth

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Question: this pothos I bought refuses to fit into any of the planters I have thus far bought. Mainly because I'm bad at eyeballing size. It definitely needs a 10" pot but the one I ended up getting is about an inch and a half too short. So theres a bit of rooted soil sticking up.

Will it settle or be ok or do I need to make a 3rd trip to home depot and try a new pot?

Pothos grow really quickly. Definitely get the 10" pot, you won't regret it!

If the roots are starting to poke through the top of the soil, you probably also want to add 0.5-1 inches of new soil on top to keep them covered.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Went to a hardware store yesterday to pick up some stuff completely unrelated to plants.
    Wound up buying a handful of small succulents and a wide shallow pot for them. Not sure what kind of succulents they are, I mostly picked up stuff that looked like it escaped from a Star Trek set.

Anyone have any tips on potting succulents?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Plant question

My Monstera (Boris) is thriving to a degree that's a bit alarming in all honesty, but one of the oldest leaves is dying off. Anyone know the best way to prune a dying leaf on these? Snip it high? Low? Let it die and drop off?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

You want a balance of green and brown waste. Green means fresh plant matter, lawn trimmings, veggies etc. Brown is dried leaves, cardboard, brown paper, very fine wood chips/sawdust. Green stuff is high in nitrogen and can make a stinky sludge if it's all you have, brown adds carbon to compensate. You don't need them to be equal but a scattering of brown in a layer after every a few inches of green will do.

Also you probably already know but adding cooked food, meat, or bones will probably attract rats, so don't do that.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Plant question

My Monstera (Boris) is thriving to a degree that's a bit alarming in all honesty, but one of the oldest leaves is dying off. Anyone know the best way to prune a dying leaf on these? Snip it high? Low? Let it die and drop off?

I prefer snip it low.

• Options
    Plant question

I cut them low. I read recently that you don't want to cut off dying leaves until they're fully yellow (which means the plant has re-absorbed as much energy as it can from that leaf), but it sounds like that monstera doesn't need any help there :razz: