As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    metaghost wrote: »
    It's also an Apex "cultural" thing, in which anyone who doesn't get to select the character they wanted to play (most likely Loba at the moment) they will disconnect or go AFK.

I've been switching between Apex and Warzone at the moment and one enormous thing Warzone has in its favor is that it never matters who picks which character. Abilities don't even come into play until you get a loadout box, you might go a whole game without being able to safely hit a loadout box, and the game doesn't give a shit if you have one, two, three, or four players with identical loadouts on a squad.

So none of this crap where somebody drops because you picked "their" character.

I've been playing both as well. Apex is an infinitely better shooter to me, but Warzone being crossplay means it's drawing more time because I can play with folks. Warzone has a MASSIVE problem with people dropping for a hundred reasons. When I first started playing as a low level people would instant quit every game simply because of my level. Needs ranked like Apex with a leaver penalty. I literally don't play unranked because I hate leavers, and I feel like the Warzone leaving is way worse.

I find myself doing Warzone when I've got people to play with and Apex when it's just me. Between picking up loadouts, the Gulag, and being able to buy people back in, Warzone definitely favors group play more; you can regularly die 3-4 times in a match and reasonably be resurrected with a trio or quad group. With Apex, you're lucky to get a single rez and it's really rare to get two, but I also don't get killed as quickly or as often.

At this point, Apex is clearly designed better for what it does. It may have been largely ripped from Titanfall, but it's had time for balance and improvements and nothing in the game has to work in any kind of different mode. In Warzone, on the other hand, there's a whole pile of things with notes that say they do nothing in Warzone, and they're still struggling with basic things like C4 nuking vehicles from a crazy distance.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Every time I play apex, I think "damn, what a fun game"

unfortunately, all but one of my friends don't want to play it for various reasons

-hate for EA's origin client - understandable
    -PC too abysmal - eh... I'm literally playing it decently on a 7 year old gaming laptop that was like 800€ when I bought it
    -hate for the battle royale genre... - eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh... Of all the BR games, apex is the most fun to me. The time to action is lower, the time to kill as well. Which simply leads to more fights, which are often much more fun (to me) than in other BR games.

Queue times for the game are absolutely nonexistant though, and since the game has duoQ now, one friend who plays is enough :snap:

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Every time I play apex, I think "damn, what a fun game"

unfortunately, all but one of my friends don't want to play it for various reasons

-hate for EA's origin client - understandable
    -PC too abysmal - eh... I'm literally playing it decently on a 7 year old gaming laptop that was like 800€ when I bought it
    -hate for the battle royale genre... - eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh... Of all the BR games, apex is the most fun to me. The time to action is lower, the time to kill as well. Which simply leads to more fights, which are often much more fun (to me) than in other BR games.

Queue times for the game are absolutely nonexistant though, and since the game has duoQ now, one friend who plays is enough :snap:

I think in 2020 hating Origin is getting silly, like it is what it is. As for abysmal PCs, the thing is Source engine and will run on anything.

But i know plenty of people who just don't like BR games and nothing will ever change their mind so not much you can do about that.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    My ongoing struggle with Apex is "but why not giant robots?"

Because the Titans were 1000% my favorite thing about Titanfall, so having a game that strips out the giant robots (and the crazy-ass mobility, but that's secondary) is a constant irritation for me.

And before anyone points out that it would mean the final circle ends up as mostly a giant robot fight, my counterpoint is "how is that possibly a problem?" Not only does it get rid of people camping in corners and rooftops waiting for the circles to close, it has giant robot punch fights.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i do get the BR complaint. I was anti-BR until literally 3 weeks ago when my group of friends convinced me to download it because they'd just been spending all of quarantine playing it in our dischord voice chat. I never would have tried it out before.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I tried to like lots of BRs but none of them grabbed me and I turned anti-BR. Then Apex came along and it hooked me immediately. Warzone is a very close second at this point.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    i do get the BR complaint. I was anti-BR until literally 3 weeks ago when my group of friends convinced me to download it because they'd just been spending all of quarantine playing it in our dischord voice chat. I never would have tried it out before.

Yeah apex was literally the only br game that clicked for me.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Several things about Apex that set it apart from other BRs, IMO:
    Class-based gameplay - where each class isn't just different to play but a real character
    Cool respawn mechanic
    Great aesthetic
    You are super-mobile compared to most shooters
    The ping system allows for communication and coordination even without mics or with a language barrier

I know other BRs have done some of these since, but only because Apex pulled it off so well!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The mobility is genuinely what seals it for me, it's an incredible feeling game and a genuine pleasure to play. Also if a leak/educated guess from Reddit was correct and
    wallrunning
    is coming back then the map design might get crazy and I love that

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think I like most BR games, I never gave Fortnite a shake because the building seemed more a nuisance than a cool feature but PUBG always had rock solid gun combat, just jank engine for everything else.

I'd say Apex is mostly fun but suffers the same balancing act issues as hero shooters like Overwatch do. Especially since having defined roles is hard when you also have a duos are prob eventually a solos mode. I think the abilities are what make it shine, the gunplay is rock solid but I think the map design actually is too narrow compared to other BR. I like the verticality of most maps but dislike the many choke points that World's End seems to have. Warzone feels like such a more open game despite having indoor areas thanks to the air vehicles.

Idk I think right now somehow my favorite is CoD which I never thought I'd say. But Apex is still really fun even after they've nerfed my main. I'd say, I think Apex has the least scummy business model and I don't mind supporting them buying the pass and skins/bundles. I love Respawn and errythang they do.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I got into Apex because of Respawn's pedigree.
    The gameplay is fun, but I think it was thr characterization that is most appealing to me. If it was a cast of non-characters, I probably would have bounced off.

• Options
    New King's Canyon is really good, I like it better than World's End.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

They're doing a great job of improving on the maps, to be sure.

• Options
    edited May 2020

just needs some kind of locomotive

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Even while I'd put a good many hours into the BR genre via PUBG, I came to Apex as a salty TF2 vet expecting the game to flop without wall running and giant robbits. As it turns out I was very pleasantly surprised and am currently sat around level 170 on PC...

For me the main things they've truly nailed are:
    • Fast, fluid & high skill ceiling movement system.
    • Rapid, but meaty gunplay.
    • A fun class system where every hero's (okay not all... poor Octane) abilities can have you pulling off epic plays.
    • TTK being in a great sweet spot; combined with the ability to heal, revive and resurrect being possible but difficult means every fight feel high stakes.

I would also like to state my undying love for the decision to make Kraber headshots 1 shot kills for all armour.

• Options
    God damn.. 4 times today ended in spot #2....

And yeah... this game's movement system is just fantastic, every time I play it and get back to something else, movement feels so crippled in comparison..

I played the TF1 and 2 story through origin access and just loved it.

I finished like a week before apex came out, and while I wish I would get more titanfall, apex is really fun, so I guess I can live with that.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Whenever I play another shooter I try to slide hop for speed and then it doesn't work and I feel unhappy

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    In other games I'm constantly trying to put my gun away to run faster, it's embarrassing.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It's also interesting how the game has pretty quick optimal TTKs, like half seconds, but the recoil, projectile physics, and movement speed make it feel like it's closer to a second. You'd think it being so hard to shoot would feel awful, but it doesn't somehow.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    It's also interesting how the game has pretty quick optimal TTKs, like half seconds, but the recoil, projectile physics, and movement speed make it feel like it's closer to a second. You'd think it being so hard to shoot would feel awful, but it doesn't somehow.

and then occasionally you manage that perfect recoil control and you feel like a god

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Hopped on for a couple games today to get my chest and some dailies done. Instead end up with one of my best feeling performances in a long time. I present Oops, All Mirage:
    9uk8spv1evxk.png

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Hopped on for a couple games today to get my chest and some dailies done. Instead end up with one of my best feeling performances in a long time. I present Oops, All Mirage:
    9uk8spv1evxk.png

let me present an alternate case of oops we won?
    jyy7jd44yc5z.png

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    High res photo of me playing with @squall99x and @metaghost a couple days ago.

Leveraged Caustic's farts for the first time ever with stellar results.
    4j03zw8qtfz41.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »

and then occasionally you manage that perfect recoil control and you feel like a god

Landing a full spray with an r99 will never not feel fucking amazing.

Tried out Mirage for a few games last night and am really liking what I've seen so far. The control over his copy is way more fun, versatile and seems much harder to pick out as a bamboozle. His minuscule cooldown definitely helps too. Plus his ult is now amazing as both an escape and offensively; good luck not dying when there's several Mirage's in the room and you don't know which one is shooting at you. Having said that, as I understand it was always the high tier players that found Mirage less useful so it'll be interesting to see if he see's play time at those levels now.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7EngNV2VWQ

Things to note:

1. I think these teams just thought I was the other Loba?
    2. At 3:28, the Wraith is using a Phoenix Kit and falls off the building – where did they go?
    3. If you're confused about the very end, watch the kill feed

• Options
    I discovered a very high platform in the firing range while messing around with lobas teleport (I saw it while on top of the dinosaur skeleton). I think Pathfinder could probably already ult to it so I'm sure it's not new but there was a cute little family of plesiosaurs on it

• Options
    Don't sleep on Mirage's invisible revives too, I was playing ranked last night and made it deeper into a game than I had any business doing because an invisible revive in a chaotic multi team fight can be great. I'm loving the new Mirage.

• Options
    KaruwenKaruwen Registered User regular
    I've really been enjoying season 5 so far.

I am super inconsistent in this game, but when everything clicks, it really is the best feeling.
    A85PdaI.png

Steam, Xbox Live & PSN : Karuwen
  • Options
    Don't sleep on Mirage's invisible revives too, I was playing ranked last night and made it deeper into a game than I had any business doing because an invisible revive in a chaotic multi team fight can be great. I'm loving the new Mirage.

Mos def! He's definitely the defacto picker upper at this point. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had lifeline's revive shield actually help amd I'll need a football team's worth for the number of times it's painted a giant target over my head...Through walls sometimes!

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    i feel like the wingman has started being more prevalent again because people are carrying it around in hopes of getting skullpiercer or having skullpiercer and i don't like it

not one bit

• Options

On the one hand, dope...on the other, what does this mean for Titanfall again...

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    I have gotten extremely back into this game and would like some PS friends to play with! PSN is HoodieThirteen!

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I am playing and I have a Mike! This is a glorious occurence. (On pc)

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Can't wait for tomorrow and the opening of the PvE mode.
    I wanna see if there's gonna be any hints on who the snitch is.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    unknown.png?width=1094&height=611

when you pop off but it's still not good enough

i spent my mastiff's 6 shells downing what would have been 8 and 9 and their last squaddie had a loaded mastiff

Orphane on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Yeah Mastiff is beast I'm likin it

Local H Jay on
  • Options

On the one hand, dope...on the other, what does this mean for Titanfall again...

Hopefully this can be a studio solely focused on Apex, leaving the original team to work on... other IPs.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Nearly won a Doubles match as a solo player, by biding my time and collecting 3 care packages prior to the end fight. Got to the point where it was me and two squads when I ambush a Red Evo Loba, but before I can think to throw grenades, I take enemy fire and run. She eventually crawls out of view while I heal. I see a Gibby in a building and trade potshots, breaking his shield but unable to kill due to the ring collapsing. As the ring collapses, I see Gibby and fire, but take other enemy fire from the Loba, who had gotten revived - I had played solo so long I forgot about the fact she could have had an ally and not just a revive shield. An Octane comes barrelling out of nowhere and kills me right after Gibby goes down, and I finish second place.

Had I actually killed the Loba, I think I would have had it, as I had a devotion and would have had a Red shield in a very narrow space, and not dropping the Gibby also cost me the match. Exhilarating finish, but I haven't tasted victory in several days and I'm itching to get another win this season.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Could anyone help me out with the Hunt mode? I'm kinda crap when it comes to doing this solo and I dunno why it was decided not to have matchmaking on this.