As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your [job] is to hand me that report from a safe distance

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I am finally set up to work from home. I set my alarm this morning and made coffee and logged in to the VPN and opened my file, ready and eager to work and not be a such a lazy pos. But the database is down and I don't have access to the shared drive so I guess it's back to playing Animal Crossing.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    On a “requirements elicitation” session with a BSA and solutions architect pretending I know what language they’re using

Sure I’ll sign off on this, I trust you all even though I feel like I detected a lack of confidence it would work...

If your BSA is being too jargony it's their fault. The entire job is translation.

BullShit Artist?

Business Systems Analyst, basically someone that helps turn business problems into technical solutions or take technical opportunities and sell the business on it.
    Also many times yes, that other thing.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    After a first round of sackings and furloughs the company is now "asking" people with low workloads to use their holiday.

One person just straight up resigned in protest. Which is a bold move.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    I don’t know how y’all found a way to make poop talk even more off putting than usual, but good job,

There's always fecal vomiting if we need something to up the ante again.

one of my bf's best friends died from this.

it is way way worse than you could ever imagine assuming you're imaging it

prostate cancer is a real bad thing

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I don’t know how y’all found a way to make poop talk even more off putting than usual, but good job,

yeah shit is real bad when you're at that point

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

yeah shit is real bad when you're at that point

and yet i still appreciate the pun <3

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    On a “requirements elicitation” session with a BSA and solutions architect pretending I know what language they’re using

Sure I’ll sign off on this, I trust you all even though I feel like I detected a lack of confidence it would work...

If your BSA is being too jargony it's their fault. The entire job is translation.

BullShit Artist?

Business Systems Analyst, basically someone that helps turn business problems into technical solutions or take technical opportunities and sell the business on it.
    Also many times yes, that other thing.

I should've known that, considering I am one.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    After a first round of sackings and furloughs the company is now "asking" people with low workloads to use their holiday.

One person who had a low workload resigned in protest?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    We were notified yesterday that we'll start letting customers come in and use the computers on June 1.

I thought I was dealing with it pretty well, but then I slept like three non-consecutive hours last night and spent a couple of minutes wordlessly screaming in the shower this morning and now I feel like I've got a small electrical fire smoldering behind my eyes.

It's probably almost Friday though, right?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Video chat update from the c level folks at my job. Overall decent, I appreciated the CEO outright stating that if you had gone to wfh your state or city lifting restrictions was not an invitation to come back to work, stay on wfh until told otherwise.

Of course only like 10% of our people can do wfh on account of we're an industrial plant which makes physical goods, but I'm happy to reduce unnecessary risk.

Less ideal was the president of the Canadian branch using "rightsizing" in her bit.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

One person who had a low workload resigned in protest?

As I said. A bold move.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Anyone fluent in arabic?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Anyone fluent in arabic?

Only numbers

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Jedoc wrote: »
    We were notified yesterday that we'll start letting customers come in and use the computers on June 1.

I thought I was dealing with it pretty well, but then I slept like three non-consecutive hours last night and spent a couple of minutes wordlessly screaming in the shower this morning and now I feel like I've got a small electrical fire smoldering behind my eyes.

Any way you can reduce the numbers to account for distancing? That's what we're doing, and bracing for the patron complaints.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »

Any way you can reduce the numbers to account for distancing? That's what we're doing, and bracing for the patron complaints.

Yeah, IT came in and measured things out and like two-thirds of our computers are going to be out of commission.

It's not really the contagion that's stressing me out. Right now we have a very simple message: you can't come inside the library. We can blurt that out, go back inside, and lock the doors.

We're going to start letting people inside, but the wait lists are going to be longer, the computer sessions are going to be shorter, and the amount of computer help we can provide is going to be limited to what we can advise from six feet away. I reckon my odds of getting screamed at are going to go up by about a million percent on June 1.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    But, @Jedoc, think of all the good you'll be doing for The Economy (TM)!

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jedoc is going to inject his lifeblood directly into my Big Library Stonks and I am very appreciative of it.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Jedoc is going to inject his lifeblood directly into my Big Library Stonks and I am very appreciative of it.

We do have pretty high rates of returns.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    some day some guys are going to show up at your house, jedoc

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Ooo boy I get to go in Friday morning to help with all the technology and item returns from graduating seniors and other students not returning next year.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    It is really hard to get computer hardware right now, I need to get 5 PCs for a remote office, we prefer to build them ourselves because it's easier to maintain (support contracts are garbage, I keep a stock of drives/PSUs/etc) but I can't get like.. anything. By the time I get something in my cart it's sold out.

My other option is Dell, but bleh. I hate hardware that's locked in with special form factors and all that jazz.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The call I got an award for and a $400 bonus was sent to the next level, it is like this 3 tier thing for outstanding customer service. If you are picked in the first round you go to the second, second to 3rd and such.

My call was picked for the final round so I got a $700 bonus which is pretty cool. Wish I knew what call was be used for this.

Edit: Also didn't realize this about one of the puppies, she has a brown and blue eye but the blue eye is half brown and half blue. I guess I was the last one to notice.

I noticed the two different color eyes, just not that the blue one is half blue half brown.

pd64aoupa2m1.jpeg

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My work has decided it will be mandating WFH unless you absolutely can’t until January of next year, and capping office capacity at 30%, so if you have to go in then you have to negotiate a schedule with HR.

If I liked working from home this would actually be an amazingly ideal setup, I could arrange all my in person hours to be in the afternoons and not have to deal with any early commutes for the rest of the year. So, under the circumstances, I can’t really complain.

• Options
    David Bowowowie!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    It is really hard to get computer hardware right now, I need to get 5 PCs for a remote office, we prefer to build them ourselves because it's easier to maintain (support contracts are garbage, I keep a stock of drives/PSUs/etc) but I can't get like.. anything. By the time I get something in my cart it's sold out.

My other option is Dell, but bleh. I hate hardware that's locked in with special form factors and all that jazz.

No you can't go with Dell. An order I made in late Feb/Early March for 25ish laptops has been delayed again until late June at least.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My monster of a dachshund has white/grey eyes
    aofhypewij5l.jpg
    I think he has a light sensitivity problem as he doesn't light going outside when the sun is out and sticks to shadowy areas when he does

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I was back at work/uni for like a half-hour today. Was going to be longer but I'd forgotten I needed someone else around to access a database.

Even that half hour felt weird. Not really anxiety-inducing, just sort of... disorienting, like watching a movie with the scenes all jumbled in a random order.

Like 'I recognise all these things but I don't get what they have to do with each other or me.'

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    David Bowowowie!

The Dog Who Borfed The World

• Options
    expendable wrote: »

No you can't go with Dell. An order I made in late Feb/Early March for 25ish laptops has been delayed again until late June at least.

Ugh.

Anyone run a PC building company that wants to sell me like 5 PCs with custom specs?

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    aofhypewij5l.jpg
    I think he has a light sensitivity problem as he doesn't light going outside when the sun is out and sticks to shadowy areas when he does

omg chomk

i must squeezes it

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    aofhypewij5l.jpg

omg chomk

i must squeezes it

He is not fat but very buff

• Options
    chomk is a very non-shaming term

just means OMG MUST SQUEEZ

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    expendable wrote: »

Ugh.

Anyone run a PC building company that wants to sell me like 5 PCs with custom specs?

@minor incident maybe?

If my memory is correct

Al_wat on
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    My work has decided it will be mandating WFH unless you absolutely can’t until January of next year, and capping office capacity at 30%, so if you have to go in then you have to negotiate a schedule with HR.

If I liked working from home this would actually be an amazingly ideal setup, I could arrange all my in person hours to be in the afternoons and not have to deal with any early commutes for the rest of the year. So, under the circumstances, I can’t really complain.

Seems like you need to ask for prototyping equipment for your home office now!
    Get that 3d printer!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm so tired of being stuck at my desk all day

If this job had been like this when I applied, I would not have applied for it

I miss doing stuff in the warehouse and going to other sites

It's better than walking so much at my previous job that I developed plantar fasciitis, but I miss the happy middle of the on your feet/desk work stuff

Upper management definitely LEAN'd us the cowardly way, by just not replacing people who left, which makes it even more irritating

I was formerly part of a team of seven, it's now a three person team and we can't keep up with daily duties, much less special projects

Inventory accuracy is shit

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Check my email at the office this morning, and finally, a process change we've been trying to get for years is finally going into effect on June 1st and it will get rid of just, obscene amounts of tiresome, needless work.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Staff meeting one of two is complete. Then I've just got the branch managers meeting tomorrow and the one-on-one with my regional director on Friday.

You know, I don't think I'm even gonna come in on Monday. Probably just skip out and sit around the house and think about dead soldiers or something.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I have a 4 hour web meeting with a client I don’t trust and we are all using our laptop webcams.

Gotta remember not too relax too much and display my RBF.

I rolled my eyes about 75% at someone in the last meeting before I remembered my video was active. I started inspecting something on the ceiling in a very animated fashion like a crazy person. I felt that was better than the alternative.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I almost reflexively rolled my eyes already. I’m in trouble.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Quick Update.

Museum laid off 120 people, my entire department included. We knew it was coming eventually. Just a matter of when and how deep the cuts were going to be. Gotta say i am sad that this is how my team's story ends.

8EVmPzM.jpg
This discussion has been closed.