As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    I would argue Breath of the wild does more to encourage seeking out fights than almost anything else in the series. Most of the time in OOT or ALTTP your either killing enemies because it's tied to unlocking progress, or it was less trouble to kill then ignore.

In BOTW raiding a camp nets you weapons, food craft goods etc. Sure there are scenarios where it's not worth it. But that's not a bad thing, it just means you need to be aware what is worth your time and effort.

I never saw the barest hint of point in raiding camps in BotW. Cooking was a tedious bore and it was easy enough to stockpile a couple top-grade cooking ingredients, so there was no reason to raid for food. Raiding camps to get weapons seemed utterly pointless to me as well, since you're breaking one or more weapons to potentially get one marginally better weapon. Having combat tied to progress means there's some kind of actual point to raiding a place, instead of just getting a weapon to replace the weapon you broke in the raid.
    Rehab wrote: »
    Plus the other great thing Breath of the Wild does is it brings back that satisfying level of difficulty that was sorely missing from the series.
    I dunno what you're talking about with "satisfying difficulty". The only thing I remember being a challenge of any kind was lynel fights, and those were so one-note that, again, fighting them seemed to have no point worth the reward. Beyond that, there were some fights against machines that were stupidly fucking imbalanced to try and force you to grind up to a ridiculous extent before coming back, but they were still just shrine fights and thus gave out another terribly unrewarding Spirit Orb and a weapon/item you never wanted to use for fear of breaking it.

I can't remember ever wanting to play a Zelda game for the "challenge", though. I think I was something like eleven the last time one of them was actually a challenge to complete, and there about a million other games out there built on challenging difficulty that are actually worth their salt at doing it.

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    the risk of dying and time spent never outweighed the rewards in those camps beyond maybe the first three.

Espescially when black and silver enemies start showing up.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Someone earlier brought up the survival/Dark Souls nature of BotW and that is absolutely, positively, one of the things I was MOST happy about with BotW. I am a huge From/Soulsbornekiro lover. So that aspect for BotW I was absolutely fine with.

Weapon durability annoyed the shit out of me, but once I knew where to find certain weapons, it became a non-issue (also post Master Sword, non issue). It would still annoy me a little when I broke my last good sword or whatever...but I always knew where to go find a new one.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Rehab wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote:
    And maybe it's because honestly I'm not interested in being "inventive" with the system, but I can't remember using the runes for a single useful battle thing, either.

I don't doubt what you're saying here, but I also find it a little surprising. Certain runes did have strict moments of utility and were otherwise going to be useless to you (like Aquaman fighting anywhere not aquatic), but two runes in particular were always combat ready and all four initial runes had combat applications.

How I used runes in combat spoiled below
    Remote Bombs (default and +) - This ones more obvious, but I used bombs to kill weaker enemies (especially ocktoroks: leave a square bomb where you know one is hiding, run away, and detonate when it popped up [or throw a bomb at it and instantly detonate it if it was in the water) or scatter groups of moblins all the time. Also to launch them into a body of water or off a cliff. Even bulkier enemies like Moblins would lose their balance when struck with a Remote Bomb+ when sheilding and could get a bit airborn when not. I would throw bombs into the enterances of skull caves just to inflict cheap easy damage from time to time and of course lined them up with explosive barrels if I could do so safely.

Stasis+ - Default Stasis is virtually useless in combat but Stasis+ can freeze enemies in place for a short time when used in combat. It was enough time to line up a headshot on any enemy or not have a guardian fuck you up because by the time it unfroze its tracking on you would now be off. Or you could close the distance between you and an enemy and wail on it and send it flying. Or you could wail away on a boulder or explosive barrel and send it flying at unsuspecting enemies.

Magnesis - Getting more limited but wherever there were metal containers or spheres you had something you could suspend over an enemy and drop on it or manuveur into an enemy and deal damage or knock it off a platform. You could kill enemies with just Magnesis if used just right assuming it dealt enough damage or sent them falling to their doom (and if nothing else, it was a fun way to toy with them from afar).

Cryonis - The most limited but it has a couple combat uses when applicable. One is blocking. If you don't want to use an arrow to kill an ocktorok in the water you could set a pillar of ice just before it and render its attacks useless. Or if you were fighting on standing water you could block the shots of guardians or enemies with bows by creating a pillar in front of yourself. In the fight with Devine Beast Ruta you could create pillars of ice on the water immediately before you to block the various ice projectiles if you wanted to conserve arrows. This was also useful in the second form of that Devine Beasts boss fight.

The other is creating a platform to leap off of and shoot your bow. I had an aha! moment when fighting the harder version of the boss fight aboard the Devine Beast Ruta (from the DLC). The boss was fucking me up and I failed it on my first attempt because I misused the limited resources this challenge allowed you. So on my second attempt I started using Cryonis to block the ice projectiles, but more importanty, to give myself platforms to attack from. I'd create a pillar, quicly climb up and jump off, then use slow mo in mid air and shoot as many arrows as I could at that fucker. Since then I've used the same tactic when fighting lizaflos and even guardians when I've been able to.
    Kalnaur wrote:
    I guess this felt more like a survival game/Dark Souls approach to Zelda games that honestly I'm just not interested in Zelda being.

That is absoluetly fair but I think when people make that comparison to this being like a spiritual successor to the first Zelda its not only because of BotWs open ended nature and being so exploration focused, but also because the game can humble you with a single encounter that you were woefully unprepared for. The moment that a Talos killed me in one hit before I got off the starting plateau in BotW gave me that same feeling of walking into a dungeon in the first Zelda and getting quickly overwhelmed and brutalized by wizrobes. Both represented obstacles that, while annoying for a hot second, made me more eager to play and figure out how to overcome those encounters. So really, you could argue that BotW is more old school The Legend of Zelda hard than Dark Souls hard (or that Dark Souls itself took its own inspiration in part from people on that team that played The Legend of Zelda).

So. Things you tried that I also tried:
    1. Bombs: Explosive arrows did it better and safer and more accurately. Unless it was the lava octos that sucked in bombs and died, I stopped even trying to use them in battle because you can't guard or run while trying to accurately throw a bomb at incoming monsters.
    2. Magnesis: As I mentioned, I tried this a few times, and got nearly killed for my trouble. They'd always see the object I was trying to stealthily position above them. The best I could manage was to block some incoming arrows if a box was near and close the distance using that so I could . . . whack them with my sword and defend with my shield.

Now, I used elemental and explosive arrows of which I'd eventually bought enough to not be able to buy any more. I almost constantly wore the Sheika outfit for stealth to shorten combat if at all possible. And I attacked from as far out as possible because blocking was less effective than I needed it to be.

And yes, I do understand that people, some people at least and to me a disturbing amount of people like "Nintendo Hard" still. I, meanwhile, am that person who plays their games on Easy. Not even Normal, screw Normal, and screw games that gate the ends behind Normal. The only time I'm not playing a game on Easy is when I'm playing a Dark Souls or Soulslike game, and then I'm looking for the most broken combination of range, defense, and elemental weaknesses to make the game at least easier; I treat those as a puzzle that if I research enough, I can beat them. But for me, the pinnacle, unbeatable shining example of everything Zelda should be at its heart would be my first Zelda game, and that's where the impasse here is. It was A Link to the Past, which, after playing that, The Legend of Zelda itself felt like a crude imitation that couldn't live up. Truly. The difficulty wasn't fun. I don't actually enjoy Nintendo Hard games at all anymore. I enjoyed them at one point because that's all I had. I emphatically don't look forward to being one-hit-killed, and the true only reason I enjoy any Dark Souls style games is their exploitable systems that, again, make the game a puzzle, but I don't play them often at all, because I have to be in a very specific frame of mind to enjoy them. Meanwhile, Zelda, for me, is meant to be . . . comfort food. And enjoyable, recognizable game with predictable segments and dungeons and items that I look forward to going "oh, this is the _____". I never actually want Zelda to ever be Dark Souls in feel, or Survival Game in feel. I want it to be . . . well . . . that I'm the badass destined hero.

Now, that said, any Zelda game at all is usually going to sit above other games simply by virtue of it being a Zelda game. So, I don't see a reason to replay Breath of the Wild; I got everything the first time and unlike other Zelda games, it felt tedious and like I had to fight against the game to have fun. But I also don't like Final Fantasy VIII, but if I had to choose which to play, it'd be Breath of the Wild specifically because it's a Zelda game. Like, even if the game as a whole isn't the comfort I'm looking for, small chunks of it are (towns, mainly).

And I must also reiterate that I know this is all subjective. It just baffles me how so many people enjoy this Zelda style instead of the Link to the Past/Ocarina of Time/Twilight Princess style of Zelda. I just want another of those. In comparison, Breath of the Wild reminds me a lot of the original Legend of Zelda, but also Majora's Mask, which . . . more or less breaks my rule of "all Zelda games are good games". It was also too hard, too obtuse, but it was also just . . . unfun for me. It is the one Zelda game I'd never play ever again.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    You know what also makes BotW easy? The DLC with Majora's Mask. That so makes it the casual game to just flop around, steal weapons and adventure. Well for the most part till a keese, octorock, chuchu, wizrobe, and guardian sees you. Not sure if the hinox can see through it, but yeah. I highly recommend that to lots of friends who don't like the having to fight every battle in BotW.

It does suck that it is behind a pay wall, but the DLC also extends the story a bit more and makes you really sad that all the Champions died. Even Revali.

Edit: Sorry Kalnaur, not trying to convince you to replay it. Just wanted to point that option out for those who didn't like the whole weapon durability and fighting everything part of the game but want to run around in a Zelda game.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »
    You know what also makes BotW easy? The DLC with Majora's Mask. That so makes it the casual game to just flop around, steal weapons and adventure. Well for the most part till a keese, octorock, chuchu, wizrobe, and guardian sees you. Not sure if the hinox can see through it, but yeah. I highly recommend that to lots of friends who don't like the having to fight every battle in BotW.

It does suck that it is behind a pay wall, but the DLC also extends the story a bit more and makes you really sad that all the Champions died. Even Revali.

Edit: Sorry Kalnaur, not trying to convince you to replay it. Just wanted to point that option out for those who didn't like the whole weapon durability and fighting everything part of the game but want to run around in a Zelda game.

I got the DLC near the end of my playthrough, and only found use for the Champion quests at that point because I had all the upgraded armors and all Lynel weapons because fuck if I wasn't going to go get the best, least degradable weapons possible and stockpile them. So at that point, the special masks were more of a novelty.

I did not complete the trials. They were intensely unfun.

Kalnaur wrote: »

I got the DLC near the end of my playthrough, and only found use for the Champion quests at that point because I had all the upgraded armors and all Lynel weapons because fuck if I wasn't going to go get the best, least degradable weapons possible and stockpile them. So at that point, the special masks were more of a novelty.

I did not complete the trials. They were intensely unfun.

Yeah the trials are for those who wanted an extra challenge. It especially sucks since you have to dedicate some time to actually beat the set in one run because there are no save points. The third part is long too!!!

Heck, Master Mode is for those who wanted an extra challenge. I actually did beat it on Master Mode (because my wife sort of challenged me to do it) but I would never touch the trials in Master mode. She is still trying to beat it, but watching her it made me nope out of those right away.

I do have to wonder if I had to play BotW without my wife sitting next to me helping if I would like this game as much as I do now. Having her there is like having a walkthrough if I get stuck (or guide to find the best weapons, monsters, etc.). Could I have beaten this game? Would I have rage quit like I did Wind Waker? I'll never know...

oosik_betsuni.png
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I choose to look at the durability thing as ammo for melee weapons.
    Do you avoid using a shotgun in a game because you can only carry 14 rounds for it? Hopefully not, you use them and pick up more.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    While I enjoyed BotW for the most part, there’s no way I’ll ever start it over again. It’s the only Zelda game I’ve never finished twice. Well, I’ve only gotten halfway through Skyward Sword and TP, but I at least got through part of them.

For me, BotW is just to darn big. I completed the game with 20% of the stuff and around 100 hours. Open world games are just too much for me. It’s why the first Batman: Arkham Asylum was my favorite and I never played one after that because they went with an open world setting.

If I was 10-year old Dover again, BotW would be the greatest game ever. At that age, I played through the original Zelda more times than I could remember. Burning every bush, bombing every wall, looking everywhere for secrets. It’s all there with BotW, I just can’t do it anymore.

I truly hope the scale back things for BotW2 or a future Zelda game.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    klemming wrote: »
    Do you avoid using a shotgun in a game because you can only carry 14 rounds for it? Hopefully not, you use them and pick up more.

. . . yes. Unless it's something that's standing right in front of me and going to be shredded by one of those shots, I save my ammo.

Like, I only used arrows in BotW when I had to until I could buy so many (199? Ish) that there was no question I could use them and not run out just when I needed it most.

This would also be why in games with gun selection, I commonly go for whatever has lots of ammo and burst fire so I don't chew through all my ammo at once. Seeing teens level ammo amounts kicks my anxiety in the shins, because I just know my gun is going to run out at the worst time and something is going to eat my face off and I could have avoided it. See also: hoard every Elixir, never use throwing knives, hold those three "special" bombs and never use them the entire game, etc.

klemming wrote: »

. . . yes. Unless it's something that's standing right in front of me and going to be shredded by one of those shots, I save my ammo.

Like, I only used arrows in BotW when I had to until I could buy so many (199? Ish) that there was no question I could use them and not run out just when I needed it most.

This would also be why in games with gun selection, I commonly go for whatever has lots of ammo and burst fire so I don't chew through all my ammo at once. Seeing teens level ammo amounts kicks my anxiety in the shins, because I just know my gun is going to run out at the worst time and something is going to eat my face off and I could have avoided it. See also: hoard every Elixir, never use throwing knives, hold those three "special" bombs and never use them the entire game, etc.

I think the old games taught us to do that. Hoard everything that is special since you would never know when you'd need them. Only to finish the game with almost everything hoarded away like a hamster. I know that I'm the same way with all of my games. Why use that machine gun when I have a perfectly good hand gun? Arrows? Nah, I have unlimited bombs.

I think the limit of anything in BotW is 999, even arrows since I have more than 200 of each thanks to farming due to my fear of running out and saving them for something. I cringe when I have to use arrows to get a korok or bomb arrow to shoot down ore deposits on cave ceilings. Well ok, I don't have 200 ancient arrows.
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    While I enjoyed BotW for the most part, there’s no way I’ll ever start it over again. It’s the only Zelda game I’ve never finished twice. Well, I’ve only gotten halfway through Skyward Sword and TP, but I at least got through part of them.

For me, BotW is just to darn big. I completed the game with 20% of the stuff and around 100 hours. Open world games are just too much for me. It’s why the first Batman: Arkham Asylum was my favorite and I never played one after that because they went with an open world setting.

If I was 10-year old Dover again, BotW would be the greatest game ever. At that age, I played through the original Zelda more times than I could remember. Burning every bush, bombing every wall, looking everywhere for secrets. It’s all there with BotW, I just can’t do it anymore.

I truly hope the scale back things for BotW2 or a future Zelda game.

I wished that BotW 2 would be prior to Ganon destroying the world. I'd love to adventure seeing the towns in Hyrule and castle. Not sure how that would be for a game, but it would have been nice. I'm curious to see how they do make the sequel.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I think the sequel is going to take place entirely underground somehow... but I’d love see that same map with cities where the towns were and new villages in between.

But then... would I really want to traverse it all over again?... no, not when BotW is already there. I would like some future game to roughly align to the BotW map during a more lively era, even if it was in a more traditional top-down looking Zelda.

An interesting compromise would be to have a bustling Castle Town, which you never leave, as all the adventure is under the castle as it leads to an underworld of caverns. Imagine if they packed as many NPCs as BotW had into one city you get to know extensively.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular

Backing up to this, the base game does have individual masks (Bokoblin, Lizalfos, Moblin, and I think Lynel) that make the corresponding enemies non-aggro, so you definitely could sneak into a camp that was primarily/only one of those types of monsters and do some looting. However, you do need to progress to the point of unlocking them and then purchasing them, but you could fast-track that if you wanted.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I think the sequel is going to take place entirely underground somehow... but I’d love see that same map with cities where the towns were and new villages in between.

But then... would I really want to traverse it all over again?... no, not when BotW is already there. I would like some future game to roughly align to the BotW map during a more lively era, even if it was in a more traditional top-down looking Zelda.

An interesting compromise would be to have a bustling Castle Town, which you never leave, as all the adventure is under the castle as it leads to an underworld of caverns. Imagine if they packed as many NPCs as BotW had into one city you get to know extensively.

I've been wondering if it would all be underground. I'm picturing a massive, elaborate Moria type setting and I am SUPER excited at the idea.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Turns out it’s a secret DooM crossover. Somewhere under Hyrule is a portal to Hell, which is how Ganon keeps coming back. In the end Doomguy and Link have a chainsaw duel over who gets to kill him first.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I dunno what you're talking about with "satisfying difficulty". The only thing I remember being a challenge of any kind was lynel fights, and those were so one-note that, again, fighting them seemed to have no point worth the reward. Beyond that, there were some fights against machines that were stupidly fucking imbalanced to try and force you to grind up to a ridiculous extent before coming back, but they were still just shrine fights and thus gave out another terribly unrewarding Spirit Orb and a weapon/item you never wanted to use for fear of breaking it.

It sounds like you never (or rarely) experimented much in combat or made much effort to nail the parrying or fury rush from dodging (in the same way that plenty of people just never made the effort to get the flow of Skyward Sword's combat) and just cheesed everything. Which, sure, that would make fights rather grindy and unfun.

Also, the guardians in those fights are more vulberable to other ancient weapons. And you can stun them by shooting them in the eye or make it so they slam into a pillar when they try their rushing attack on you, which stuns them. Landing attacks with electric weapons also briefly stuns them.

They also strike with whatever weapon is facing you and each attack has a specific way you can dodge and it then punish them for making. So beyond getting to one of these fights with an inventory of rusty weapons and boko bows, they aren't in any way imbalanced if you use their many weaknesses against them and know how they fight.

As much as combat in other Zelda games is enjoyable I would argue that by comparison the average encounter is bound to feel less nuanced than the average BotW encounter. There is simply a larger breadth of environmental tactics, systems, and potential loadout variety at play here than any other game in the series. Twilight Princess Link may have more moves, but the fights aren't quite as open-ended.
    Kalnaur wrote:
    And I must also reiterate that I know this is all subjective. It just baffles me how so many people enjoy this Zelda style instead of the Link to the Past/Ocarina of Time/Twilight Princess style of Zelda. I just want another of those.

I enjoy this style of Zelda and the more traditional, but I think BotW is on a completely different level and elevates the series as a whole. Like if I were going to rank some games as you did earlier my top five would be: 1) Breath of the Wild - Best Zelda game and beyond that, best game I've had the pleasure of experiencing, 2) Twilight Princess - Best traditional 3D Zelda and criminally underrated, some of the best dungeons, 3) A Link to the Past - Best traditional top down Zelda and a game that is incredibly well realized, 4) Ocarina of Time - Revolutionary, great dungeons, feels epic and sprawling 5) Skyward Sword - By itself contains nearly half of the dungeons I would put in an overall series top 10 and shook things up in some interesting ways.

Edit: Also, after five 3D Zeldas of the familiar format A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time set up released over a span of two decades I can't say I want another one of those anymore. I've played and replayed them and can go back to them at any time. I want more BotW type Zelda in the near future (but with new elements of course) and something completely different again after that. I don't know how Nintendo can manage that again, but I never would have imagined that BotW would feel like they captured lightening in a bottle to the degree that they did before playing it either.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Turns out it’s a secret DooM crossover. Somewhere under Hyrule is a portal to Hell, which is how Ganon keeps coming back. In the end Doomguy and Link have a chainsaw duel over who gets to kill him first.

Doomguy is already yet another incarnation of Link

- prefers to wear green
    - Left handed / ambidextrous
    - Fights monsters which come from an alternate “darker” dimension
    - Usually takes the fight to that dimension
    - Speaks only in combat noises
    - Has a special evil killing sword that only he is worthy to wield

Who am I talking about?

Joolander on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    [...] and unlike other Zelda games, [Breath of the Wild] felt tedious and like I had to fight against the game to have fun.
    I found this an interesting contrast to my own experience. To establish my Zelda history: The only Zelda games prior to BotW that I've played for any significant amount of time are Phantom Hourglass (finished), Spirit Tracks (close to the end, never finished), and A Link Between Worlds (finished). I also played A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time (the 3DS remake), and Twilight Princess for several hours each, but eventually petered out on and never went back.

If anyone wants to call me a fake Zelda geek boy, I will take that appellation without argument.

I absolutely loved Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and A Link Between Worlds. However, I found a lot of the moment-to-moment experiences of playing those games to be very tedious, and now that I consider it, I think a lot of it comes down to backtracking. Unless I am playing the games very wrong, my experience is that Zelda games involve a lot of going through zones back and forth many times - sometimes you come to a gated location and need to go back to find a different branch in the path, sometimes you need to go back to a person to (effectively) turn in a quest (such as they are, in these games), sometimes you have collected enough resources and can now go back to turn them in for [whatever], sometimes you're grinding for resources, sometimes you're exploring, and sometimes you're just plain lost. That's a lot of walking - or sailing, or riding a train - back and forth, and I just... didn't find that part interesting.

All that traversal of zones also meant a lot of either (1) combat with respawned enemies or (2) dodging combat with respawned enemies. I don't think I've ever looked forward to combat in a Zelda game, it's usually a thing that's getting in the way of me doing the thing that I actually want to be doing, so having to constantly kill and re-kill enemies gets old fast. Dodging them saves some time, but isn't any more fun.

Basically, my experience with other Zelda games is that the fun happens at isolated points, and traveling between them is a chore.

My experience with BotW contrasts that a bit. I still didn't find the combat to be particularly engaging, but I found traveling to be extremely enjoyable. I liked the mechanical traversal aspect of it (climbing up vertical surfaces, gliding to cover distance), the kinds of small, insignificant, moment-to-moment decisions they facilitated (what's the best path to climb? Should I jump down from this small peak and try to find my way up/around the larger peak on the other side of the valley, or should I glide across and land halfway up the larger peak?), and the broad experience of covering ground in general (the sun rising and setting, the low-key music, the insects flitting around, looking over the landscape and the features that populate it). It's probably the thing that's kept me going back to the game, and why - despite having put in ~100 hours into the game and wrung most of the discrete content out of it - I still haven't gone to kill Ganon even once; I feel like doing that would put a certain finality to the game, and I don't want it to actually end.

"Delduwath, it sounds like maybe... maybe you don't like the general Zelda formula?"
    Maybe! More likely the specific details of the implementation (because I like Metroidvanias in general), but it's true that what I like most about the Zelda games that I've played has been the character and personality of them, which I think is present in BotW as well.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    don't forget that we've had a release similar to Link to the Past. We had Link Between Worlds.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    40+ hours into Skyward Sword, and I stumbled into the Song of the Hero glitch. I was well aware of a progress-stopping bug in the game, but I never thought to look up the actual conditions beforehand!

Fortunately, I had downloaded the Skyward Sword patch channel on my Wii 2 years ago. And fortunately for me, it also worked! I had to connect the system to the internet for the patch to apply properly, which was funny because my Wii hadn't been connected to the internet since around the time I downloaded the patch channel.

Anyway, I am close to the end of the game. Enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's FFIV, and we are going to go underground with all the dwarves, and then BotW 3 is the moon.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    This lizalflo was all amped up to throw down.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I'd say wait for it to go on sale for around $40 or at least $50 if you are buying it to play it since it is a smaller game.

Is there . . . another reason to buy a game other than to play it?

So you have the knowledge that you can play it whenever you want, even if that might be years down the line.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    So, while I may seem to endlessly bag on Breath of the Wild, there were elements of the game I really actually enjoyed a lot. Some of those are:

Cooking: I really enjoyed this element, and it had useful applications all through the game, though I did feel like often enough the extra health or extra stamina foods were far and away best, followed by max attack or max defense boost. How it Could Be Improved: I'd really appreciate an in-game cook book for the basic combinations once you've used them in a dish (i.e. a "hot pepper + any fruit or meat = cold resistance" style entry) so that I don't have to keep my phone open to remember what did what last time I cooked, and how good it was. Also, I feel like potions should do things food can't and vice versa, otherwise there's only a point in making one, and usually it was food because . . . healing plus benefit.

Climbing: This was the best addition to the game. Like, yes. Please. Let me climb. I want it in every game now. Elder Scrolls? Let me climb. Assassin's Creed? Let me climb. Freakin' Mario? CLIMB. How it Could Be Improved: Climbing gear. Claws for the hands, grapples and rope to secure yourself from falling past a certain point, etc. Anything that could be gained as a permanent, or even yes, used as a consumable (such as the pins to attach the rope to?). Basically some way, even if it's limited, to get around "it's wet, too fucking bad".

Armor Upgrades: I loved that I had a bunch of outfits and I could make them better, specifically good enough that they gained power not just in defense but also their chosen trait. The fact that I mainly used the stealth set because anything else was pointless for me is besides the point. How it Could Be Improved: Because of how hard it was to get some of the gear, its use could be outstripped by the time you got it. On the other hand, some of the outfits made some of the food and potions totally pointless, which was a bit of a bummer when someone would build up to giving you . . . one of the useless potions or food items. It felt sort of good that you didn't need it, but more bad because that thing was useless now. So I'd prefer if the clothing didn't override the usefulness of the food/potion items.

Even some things that I wasn't a fan of, like durability, could be fixed for me if I could, say, hold on to the broken shards in a specific part of the bag (maybe only enough for a few broken weapons at a time in there?) and reforge my favorite weapons back to working order. Hell, I think it'd also be cool to use some of the ore that was in the last game to reinforce or imbue (one or the other) a weapon with different attributes; so like, make it more durable or more damaging through reforging, or imbue a weapon with some elemental property. Maybe even have wild, rare resources that give weapons the ability to have, like, that triple arrow shot or something? Basically, if I could use those crafting items to help bulk up or customize both the limited set and core set of weapons I'd tote around, I'd be more amenable to their fragility.

If the shrines had been underground delves/ dungeons of around 10 shrines worth of content smashed together into one dungeon, I'd be way more interested. The bite-sized dungeons did nothing for me, and four actual dungeons just wasn't enough for me, but the content and inventiveness of what one had to do with the runes (like freeze the wheels in the elephant, for example) gave a different structure to the usual Zelda Puzzles. For me the format just sucked, but the content was fun. And it was where I used all those runes.

I mean, a lot of this is wishlist stuff, and god knows what they'll keep or change. I'd like to see the world map return with modifications; I'm not sure what span of time has passed, 1 year, 3 months, 5 years, etc, but I'd like it to be long enough to see some new towns and perhaps rebuilt areas across the map. One of the more enjoyable things for me was watching the house get fixed, furnished, and completed, and I'd love to give resources and cash to that same band of builders to do for new civilized areas what you got to do for Tarrey Town in BotW. But even if it's all underground, in tunnels or what-not, they'll probably still get my money.

I just really wish he was a lefty still . . .

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    All they need to do is remake Zelda 2 in the style of BotW. Simple. Bang that one out in an afternoon.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Speedrunners have solved Sploosh Kaboom:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hs451PfFzQ

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Speed runners be crazy.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    So, while I may seem to endlessly bag on Breath of the Wild, there were elements of the game I really actually enjoyed a lot. Some of those are:

Cooking: I really enjoyed this element, and it had useful applications all through the game, though I did feel like often enough the extra health or extra stamina foods were far and away best, followed by max attack or max defense boost. How it Could Be Improved: I'd really appreciate an in-game cook book for the basic combinations once you've used them in a dish (i.e. a "hot pepper + any fruit or meat = cold resistance" style entry) so that I don't have to keep my phone open to remember what did what last time I cooked, and how good it was. Also, I feel like potions should do things food can't and vice versa, otherwise there's only a point in making one, and usually it was food because . . . healing plus benefit.

Climbing: This was the best addition to the game. Like, yes. Please. Let me climb. I want it in every game now. Elder Scrolls? Let me climb. Assassin's Creed? Let me climb. Freakin' Mario? CLIMB. How it Could Be Improved: Climbing gear. Claws for the hands, grapples and rope to secure yourself from falling past a certain point, etc. Anything that could be gained as a permanent, or even yes, used as a consumable (such as the pins to attach the rope to?). Basically some way, even if it's limited, to get around "it's wet, too fucking bad".

Armor Upgrades: I loved that I had a bunch of outfits and I could make them better, specifically good enough that they gained power not just in defense but also their chosen trait. The fact that I mainly used the stealth set because anything else was pointless for me is besides the point. How it Could Be Improved: Because of how hard it was to get some of the gear, its use could be outstripped by the time you got it. On the other hand, some of the outfits made some of the food and potions totally pointless, which was a bit of a bummer when someone would build up to giving you . . . one of the useless potions or food items. It felt sort of good that you didn't need it, but more bad because that thing was useless now. So I'd prefer if the clothing didn't override the usefulness of the food/potion items.

Even some things that I wasn't a fan of, like durability, could be fixed for me if I could, say, hold on to the broken shards in a specific part of the bag (maybe only enough for a few broken weapons at a time in there?) and reforge my favorite weapons back to working order. Hell, I think it'd also be cool to use some of the ore that was in the last game to reinforce or imbue (one or the other) a weapon with different attributes; so like, make it more durable or more damaging through reforging, or imbue a weapon with some elemental property. Maybe even have wild, rare resources that give weapons the ability to have, like, that triple arrow shot or something? Basically, if I could use those crafting items to help bulk up or customize both the limited set and core set of weapons I'd tote around, I'd be more amenable to their fragility.

If the shrines had been underground delves/ dungeons of around 10 shrines worth of content smashed together into one dungeon, I'd be way more interested. The bite-sized dungeons did nothing for me, and four actual dungeons just wasn't enough for me, but the content and inventiveness of what one had to do with the runes (like freeze the wheels in the elephant, for example) gave a different structure to the usual Zelda Puzzles. For me the format just sucked, but the content was fun. And it was where I used all those runes.

I mean, a lot of this is wishlist stuff, and god knows what they'll keep or change. I'd like to see the world map return with modifications; I'm not sure what span of time has passed, 1 year, 3 months, 5 years, etc, but I'd like it to be long enough to see some new towns and perhaps rebuilt areas across the map. One of the more enjoyable things for me was watching the house get fixed, furnished, and completed, and I'd love to give resources and cash to that same band of builders to do for new civilized areas what you got to do for Tarrey Town in BotW. But even if it's all underground, in tunnels or what-not, they'll probably still get my money.

I just really wish he was a lefty still . . .

Oh man, I'd kill for a recipe book in the game! I know my wife hated having her phone or surface open ready to read at the beginning. Now she pretty much memorized most of the combinations on what will work and what will come out from certain ingredients.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited May 2020
    I still just throw random crap in the pan, and hope something edible comes out.

Joke edit: wait, this isn't the cooking thread.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    using any strategy while cooking went out the window for me when I found out just cooking a single durian is like, optimal health recovery potion

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    For awhile I filled out a lot of my cooked food inventory from the meals gained by saving various people who were under seige by bokoblins and the like. It made for a very diverse and random array of stuff.

You can also find some random recipies inside of the stables.

oosik_betsuni.png
    There are recipes written in various places, but it doesn't help because I have to try and remember what they said. I want something that, once I've cooked it, gets added to a menu when I step up to the skillet, lists everything I've made before, and I click on it and it dumps all the relevant items into the skillet.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    There are recipes written in various places, but it doesn't help because I have to try and remember what they said. I want something that, once I've cooked it, gets added to a menu when I step up to the skillet, lists everything I've made before, and I click on it and it dumps all the relevant items into the skillet.

You can take photos of the recipes to carry them around, but then it's useless bc they like restore four hearts or something.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

You can take photos of the recipes to carry them around, but then it's useless bc they like restore four hearts or something.

unless it is for a quest it was pointless right? like it was a system that was incomplete. i never felt it was a bad system, it just needs refinement.

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Yeah the biggest flaw with the cooking mechanic (other than just the UI/process elements of it) was that there was genuinely no reason to do anything besides
    stock up on "hearty" ingredients and then cook them all individually, since gaining any yellow hearts also refills your normal life meter, and there's nothing you can do with Shock Resistance or Cold Resistance or Attack Up that you can't do just as well with "one bloke and a fuckload of HP".

Here's hoping they make it both more convenient and more dynamic in the sequel.

The speed elixer and stamina refilling elixers are also very handy. I feel like the heat resist one is the most helpful of the elemental resistance ones considering the size of the desert and how it opens up other clothing options like the Sand Boots.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It's interesting to consider that Breath of the Wild is somewhere near the peak of what the Wii U can do.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Kill all the animals, dump all the meat in a pot five at a time, sell each meat pile for 300 rupees.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Kill all the animals, dump all the meat in a pot five at a time, sell each meat pile for 300 rupees.

Link is basically a traveling kebab salesman.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
This discussion has been closed.