As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Unyielding would be literally unplayable at slow or even fast. If you're mad maybe it could cost more mana

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Pretty sure it would still be literally playable.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I would be totally fine with the spell if it wasn't burst. Since it's not, every deck I play is Ionia.

How does detain interact with it? If I arrest Fiona, does she lose it?

The way Detain works is that the captured unit is technically resummoned when the capturing unit is killed or recalled. Because they are resummoned, they don’t have any buffs or nerfs as they are a fresh unit. They will activate any summon abilities (Bannerman buff allies, etc) so be careful.

Fun side note! Silencing the unit that has a captured unit will NOT be released, but rather lost forever. Since you can’t silence Fiora, you can detain her then silence the person holding her. EZPZ. :biggrin:

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Coinage wrote: »
    Unyielding would be literally unplayable at slow or even fast. If you're mad maybe it could cost more mana
    I think it would make sense to lower the mana (slightly) to cast it if it wasn't burst.

I actually don't think it's super overpowered, it's just not fun (for me) to play against (no matter how much I smirk when I Will of Ionia it).
    MNC Dover wrote: »

The way Detain works is that the captured unit is technically resummoned when the capturing unit is killed or recalled. Because they are resummoned, they don’t have any buffs or nerfs as they are a fresh unit. They will activate any summon abilities (Bannerman buff allies, etc) so be careful.

Fun side note! Silencing the unit that has a captured unit will NOT be released, but rather lost forever. Since you can’t silence Fiora, you can detain her then silence the person holding her. EZPZ. :biggrin:
    Yeah, the latter I knew, and I ASSUMED they'd lose the enchantment buff....

Assumed, etc etc. Thank ya.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I don't think it's particularly overpowered but I do think the counterplay is too limited and confined to only a few factions. Will of Ionia, Purify (Demacia, and doesn't work on champs), Detain (Demacia and there is counterplay to it this way), Dragon's Rage & Minah (both Ionia). The few obliterate effects in the game are all very limited by low HP/Power thresholds. Frostbite is either temporary or (through Rimetusk Shaman) has strong counterplay. Same with the stun effects. Oh, and Deny, which is also Ionia.

It's an expensive card, it should present a big problem, I just think it needs some more counterplay for people to tech into potentially.

It losing burst speed would be good, you still retain the really strong effect, it just loses some value as a combat trick. Which would be fine.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think the issue is more with Fiora, who should only count kills on offense (not sure how to word this so it allows for tricks like Single Combat). Killing them before Fiora is counterplay, and eight mana is real bad for tempo. But attacking means Fiora’s clock is that much worse, so it just feels awful because even your one answer just helps Fiora.

That said, Unyielding Spirit feels like something that will inevitably lead to design issues down the road, so rendering it unplayable now is perhaps for the best.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I've only seen Spirit used against me twice so I don't understand complaining when we could be deleting the entire Shadow Isles faction

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Just win faster people! It's really not that good! Fiora is good in one deck and she's basically just a cheap effective challenger. She doesn't need to be worse.

If you are consistently losing to Fiora you're doing something wrong. I don't mean that in a mean way, I mean you should post your deck and tell us about what is happening so you can do better instead of just saying "Unyielding Spirit bad need nerf nerf."

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    I've only seen Spirit used against me twice so I don't understand complaining when we could be deleting the entire Shadow Isles faction

Never lose an opportunity to complain about anything.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »
    I don't think it's particularly overpowered but I do think the counterplay is too limited and confined to only a few factions. Will of Ionia, Purify (Demacia, and doesn't work on champs), Detain (Demacia and there is counterplay to it this way), Dragon's Rage & Minah (both Ionia). The few obliterate effects in the game are all very limited by low HP/Power thresholds. Frostbite is either temporary or (through Rimetusk Shaman) has strong counterplay. Same with the stun effects. Oh, and Deny, which is also Ionia.

It's an expensive card, it should present a big problem, I just think it needs some more counterplay for people to tech into potentially.

It losing burst speed would be good, you still retain the really strong effect, it just loses some value as a combat trick. Which would be fine.

All of this is true, except for Deny since it can't stop Burst spells. Making Undying Spirit a Fast spell would probably make it almost unplayable. Eight mana is just too much to float to not tip your hand.
    Sterica wrote: »
    I think the issue is more with Fiora, who should only count kills on offense (not sure how to word this so it allows for tricks like Single Combat). Killing them before Fiora is counterplay, and eight mana is real bad for tempo. But attacking means Fiora’s clock is that much worse, so it just feels awful because even your one answer just helps Fiora.

That said, Unyielding Spirit feels like something that will inevitably lead to design issues down the road, so rendering it unplayable now is perhaps for the best.

This is true. It's one of those spells that's going to get more powerful as more cards get added in.
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Just win faster people! It's really not that good! Fiora is good in one deck and she's basically just a cheap effective challenger. She doesn't need to be worse.

If you are consistently losing to Fiora you're doing something wrong. I don't mean that in a mean way, I mean you should post your deck and tell us about what is happening so you can do better instead of just saying "Unyielding Spirit bad need nerf nerf."

Some decks aren't made to win quickly though. Like a lot of Control decks use weenie blockers to stop attackers until they can go full on Legdros and so forth. Fiora just wins killing little blockers, so you either play nothing and hope to tank her damage via your face, or get really lucky she doesn't also get a Stand Alone buff, which has happened to me with my control deck. But yeah, aggro or midrange Demacia can get her on a quick clock.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I do not understand your mentality that Spike is the only one who matters, or that constructed is the only format.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I hate all draft modes in card games so it doesn't matter since it doesn't affect me personally

• Options

People have been giving detailed reasons as to why Unyielding Spirit is a bad card for the game and, funny enough, “just win faster” is about as worthwhile commentary as “card bad need nerf”.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    "Just win faster" also ignores the fact that Unyielding often finds itself in decks whose entire purpose in the early/midgame is to prevent their opponent from winning quickly.

Undecided as to whether it needs to be substantially nerfed. Sure it might find some more broken combinations as other cards get added, but accessible counterplay can get added, too.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    "MNC wrote:

Some decks aren't made to win quickly though. Like a lot of Control decks use weenie blockers to stop attackers until they can go full on Legdros and so forth. Fiora just wins killing little blockers, so you either play nothing and hope to tank her damage via your face, or get really lucky she doesn't also get a Stand Alone buff, which has happened to me with my control deck. But yeah, aggro or midrange Demacia can get her on a quick clock.

Some control decks do, but Corvina control is one of the strongest, maybe the strongest deck in the meta and it has spiders! Or Karma/Lux and Ezreal/Karma, all top tier decks! So you can play around it really long, or you can play it really slow! Both ways work depending on the deck.

People have been giving detailed reasons as to why Unyielding Spirit is a bad card for the game and, funny enough, “just win faster” is about as worthwhile commentary as “card bad need nerf”.

I mean I specifically asked for people to bring specific problems to get specific solutions. Without that, yes the advice is basically "be better."
    Polaritie wrote: »

I do not understand your mentality that Spike is the only one who matters, or that constructed is the only format.

It's not a "Spike is the only one who matters" mentality, but you can't keep balancing the game until whatever piles of jank you want to toss together work. If it wasn't Unyielding Spirit it'd be burn, or TF Yoink or whatever until we're playing the LoR version of big money maps no rush 20 minutes so you can bring out all your carriers.

And as far as the expedition, nobody said any given format so I don't see why you keep getting on me about that. And as I've told you many times before, the reduced number of answers in expedition is countered by the increased unreliability. Your opponent just isn't going to have 3 Fiora and 3 US.
    Kasyn wrote: »
    "Just win faster" also ignores the fact that Unyielding often finds itself in decks whose entire purpose in the early/midgame is to prevent their opponent from winning quickly.

Undecided as to whether it needs to be substantially nerfed. Sure it might find some more broken combinations as other cards get added, but accessible counterplay can get added, too.

So the two decks that use it are Bannermen and Karma/Lux, only one of which is a mid-range deck. The earliest they could cast it is turn 5, and that's assuming you haven't pressured their spell mana at all or been able to deal with the Fiora in some way. Like you could just kill it at any point. If they don't have spell mana banked, you can wait even longer, even if they did they would also have to have drawn the card which is max a two of.

Even if they hit the god hand, you could just kill them faster than they could kill you. She needs four kills, and if she doesn't have any barriers to spend spell mana on she can't have been that aggressive, or you could have been playing large fatties she can't pull in. Even spiders add up damage quickly without something like War Chefs to soak for her. So you could have been dealing damage that whole time, and by the time she nets those extra kills, you could just kill them! Conversely, anything you do to prevent her from killing you is greatly expanding the number of turns you have to win, she can only attack every other turn without rallies. So if you're in p&z or noxus, kill your own creatures when she challenges! Toss buffs or frostbites or barriers out!

If you want to say it's unfun or npe, that's fine I can't argue with it. But the card isn't broken and doesn't need changes for balance.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I mean I specifically asked for people to bring specific problems to get specific solutions. Without that, yes the advice is basically "be better."

Except you draft your deck before you get matched, not afterwards.

• Options
    In my experience Unyielding Spirit just seems to get slotted into Zed/Stand Alone decks where Fiora can sub for Zed if you draw her first.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Random thought, but would something like “whenever I would take damage or die, reduce my max health by 1 to negate it” so that the target eventually burns out and dies help?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Random thought, but would something like “whenever I would take damage or die, reduce my max health by 1 to negate it” so that the target eventually burns out and dies help?

It would help make the card irrelevant, yes.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i stand by my original post, where i do not think unyielding spirit is Too Good or even Particularly Good, but that it is at the same time not necessarily the best card for the game as a result of the signaling most of the rest of the game does

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i stand by my original post, where i do not think unyielding spirit is Too Good or even Particularly Good, but that it is at the same time not necessarily the best card for the game as a result of the signaling most of the rest of the game does

This is a fine point. I might even agree with it based on the amount of unwarranted whining.

• Options

Sometimes it makes for interesting games but I feel like it frequently gets attached to something, like Fiora, that just isn't fun to deal with.

Which, thinking about it, makes me wonder if maybe just not letting it apply to Champions would change how it felt to play against.

• Options
    I found the most hilarious use of Unyielding Spirit ever though:
    Cast it on a powder keg and they will just keep stacking and never be used up.

I just watched a video of someone doing a 14 damage Warning Shot.

Not anything like powerful apparently but goddamn hilarious to watch when it works.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I'm still going with, I think it sucks in draft. I also think it limits design space. I don't have a strong opinion on its power level. Feels kinda bad.

I don't think I've lost to it outside of draft, but I've only seen it maybe a dozen times, and I have ionias will in my favorite deck, and only deck that's kinda complete. I did win with it in draft and also with a stolen one in constructed.

But it was on a leveled TF so it didn't really matter. Woulda won either way.

• Options
    I think we all can agree that Poros need to be buffed.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Legit surprised that after a few weeks of launch there's still discussion about whether or not US is problematic or not. It's honestly not just about whether you have hard removal for it (most regions don't) or whether you can race it down (good luck if it's on a Guardian and you're in the aforementioned non-hard-removal group), it's about the amount of resources needed to counter a single card. As I said at Bilgewater release, make it burst speed and the design space is opened up as well as the counter plays; slow is too much of a nerf.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    US is an effect that shouldn't exist at any cost because it breaks interaction. Even if you reduce the speed of the effect, it's still a "this is your only chance to ever interact with this creature again" in too many cases.

On a different note, I'm just getting tired of people who can't play at a decent speed. When someone is taking 5-10s to hit the pass button when they literally have no possible actions. When they're way ahead and just making me sit there an extra minute or two hoping to draw an out because they can't make up their mind how ahead they want to be. Etc.

• Options
    US is an effect that shouldn't exist at any cost because it breaks interaction. Even if you reduce the speed of the effect, it's still a "this is your only chance to ever interact with this creature again" in too many cases.

On a different note, I'm just getting tired of people who can't play at a decent speed. When someone is taking 5-10s to hit the pass button when they literally have no possible actions. When they're way ahead and just making me sit there an extra minute or two hoping to draw an out because they can't make up their mind how ahead they want to be. Etc.

Some people are just being dicks about it. You can usually tell those because they start letting the timer run out the minute you turn the game around on them. Some people are just trying to think stuff through for future turns. And some people just have other shit going on. Someone rings the doorbell or their kids start screaming or what have you.

But yeah, the lag as you wait for the other person to act is a problem in every turn-based game. Card, board, computer, whatever. I think that's actually part of the reason for why Hearthstone is designed the way it is. It minimizes the number of times you have to pass player control back and forth.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Some people are just being dicks about it. You can usually tell those because they start letting the timer run out the minute you turn the game around on them. Some people are just trying to think stuff through for future turns. And some people just have other shit going on. Someone rings the doorbell or their kids start screaming or what have you.

But yeah, the lag as you wait for the other person to act is a problem in every turn-based game. Card, board, computer, whatever. I think that's actually part of the reason for why Hearthstone is designed the way it is. It minimizes the number of times you have to pass player control back and forth.

I think that's a fair point on Hearthstone. With paper card games you can often just continue on unless your opponent interjects. Actually one thing I think they may have screwed up here is that with LoR the only real difference between whose turn it is (so to speak) is who has an attack, so both players are playing a full turn and having to wait on decisions. With MtG the only things you play on the opponent's turn are explicitly responses to things, so your decision space is actually more limited (also stuff you do end of their turn because why waste resources, but that never takes anyone any time). Going back and forth on everything means there's more waiting for the opponent here than even in Magic, and that's impressive in a way (although some of that is a consequence of a digital format, since you can't interject like you can in paper).

• Options

It doesn't break interaction. You can still block the creature, challenge it out of your way, frostbite or stun it, there's lots of shit you can do!

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I finally hit Silver. I don't know if it was the time of day or what but fucking Bronze 2 was like a brick wall yesterday. My win-rate went from like 66%+ in Bronze 3 to like 25% in Bronze 2. And way more no-champ Noxus/Piltover burn decks.

I hit max level (for cards anyway) with Noxus/Piltover/Shadow Isles now though, so I used up a good chunk of wild cards and made myself the no-champ burn deck because I'm ok being part of the problem and did much better this morning.

But man, I still can't believe Bronze 2 was that sweaty.

shryke on
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »
    I finally hit Silver. I don't know if it was the time of day or what but fucking Bronze 2 was like a brick wall yesterday. My win-rate went from like 66%+ in Bronze 3 to like 25% in Bronze 2. And way more no-champ Noxus/Piltover burn decks.

I hit max level (for cards anyway) with Noxus/Piltover/Shadow Isles now though, so I used up a good chunk of wild cards and made myself the no-champ burn deck because I'm ok being part of the problem and did much better this morning.

But man, I still can't believe Bronze 2 was that sweaty.

You can just hit walls. Yesterday I was getting screwed like crazy. I also think there are some hinkie things going on with matchmaking. I got paired against the exact same person twice in a row yesterday, which was really demoralizing because their deck was pretty advantaged against mine. I feel like I get rematched against people a lot though. Not just back to back but over a play session or even a few days. Maybe lower diamond is just a small world?

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

People go into options and turn off auto pass?

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »

It's off by default I think?

• Options
    edited May 2020

It's off by default I think?
    I don't think it is. I had to go in and turn it off, anyways, to not give away when I don't have a Deny or something.

It doesn't break interaction. You can still block the creature, challenge it out of your way, frostbite or stun it, there's lots of shit you can do!
    I think they mean interact with US, not the card it's played on. It's burst, you can't stop it or kill the creature before it receives it (while it's being cast), so you can't interact with it beyond Ionian shenanigans or Detain....

Doesn't someone have a mind control now?

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    RickRude wrote: »

There are times when I wouldn't want them to know I don't have anything, especially in very reactive control decks.
    Bizazedo wrote: »

I think they mean interact with US, not the card it's played on. It's burst, you can't stop it or kill the creature before it receives it (while it's being cast), so you can't interact with it beyond Ionian shenanigans or Detain....

Doesn't someone have a mind control now?

I mean you can't interact with ANY buff once it's happened. Stand Alone or Twin Disciplines, or whatever. You have to interact with the thing it's on.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    While US may or may not be balanced - it does feel like it makes some matchups more rock-paper-scissors then they already are - the aggro/combo/control already has a good advantage- no idea how much any one deck is favored over another but that's where my concern would be - if enough matchups just have no chance into US decks

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Figured this guide to budget decklists might be helpful for some people.
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    While US may or may not be balanced - it does feel like it makes some matchups more rock-paper-scissors then they already are - the aggro/combo/control already has a good advantage- no idea how much any one deck is favored over another but that's where my concern would be - if enough matchups just have no chance into US decks

This following comment is in regards to constructed Polarite:

I don't think there's any given meta deck that can't beat US somehow.

• Options

I mean you can't interact with ANY buff once it's happened. Stand Alone or Twin Disciplines, or whatever. You have to interact with the thing it's on.
    Exactly. That's the point. The other ones don't rile people up as much because they just buff some numbers whereas US is a bit more....long lasting.

• Options
    MF scouts is so damn fun. I just attacked someone four times in one turn. Really feels like you stole a game when you do that.